“Such an eye-opener”

SALA Phuket Resort and Spa
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I came at a recommendation of a friend and this place is offering surprises one after another. They were so nice as to offer welcome drinks and towels at check-in. Given that it will take some fair bit of tome to check-in, why don't you give us a sleeping bag to take a power nap at the lobby itself. I simply love the landscaping in that area. It's really open concept for bath and toilet area. Works well in good weather but it's quite difficult to shower when it rains (and there was torrential rain when I checked-in). Lots of ceiling to floor windows for clear and beautiful views but if you don't draw the curtains you risk exposing your beautiful bodies to neighbors. I kinda need some drawers and the cupboard door need a 'lift' for it to close. Blanket had a funny smell, someone with strong BO left his/her scent for me to 'indulge in it'. A lot of insects bugs lizards and wildlife coming in uninvited. I feel so bad having to crush two ants and three-four bugs and two mosquitoes when they came onto the bed. Which makes me quite proud of myself cause I can actually kill mosquitoes with hands. Never thought I was that fast. Now I feel like some top martial arts master. But I didn't manage to squash the lizard that was on the mug by the wash basin. I should have used the mug to trap the little fellow. Wasn't too quick on that. So all these action was causing hunger and I asked for some food. Actually I think their concept to help me lose weight is good. Cause the food took some time and by the time it came I wasn't hungry anymore so it helped me reduce sugar intake and keep in shape. Nice job! And oh did I mention that this whole place is so in line with nature? I mean wow the place has blended in so much with the environment and primal beauty that I actually saw a naked butt on the balcony. As the bathtub is on the balcony and if the guest doesn't draw the curtain, he is literally in his own skin! And how lucky am I to have witnessed such basic and primal behaviors in civilized world! Anyway i have to thank them all for the free upgrade to villa as they oversold the balcony rooms. Though actually I don't mind giving up that chance to someone else and be put back into the balcony room upstairs and draw all curtains tight to persevere some level of intimacy with myself. This is an exciting resort - not for the faint hearted.

Room Tip: Please do draw the curtains esp at night when staying on the second floor balcony rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Signature Ms_1226, it’s very disappointed to read you were unhappy with your complimentary upgrade from a deluxe balcony standard room to one of our private garden villas with your own personal pool. Being you arrived a few hours before our advertised check-in time, we tried our utmost to room you as soon as possible and being we had this villa type available we thought you would appreciate your own private garden pool villa. The curtains are designed for a purpose and in the most part it is for privacy whether that be in a villa, a hotel room or in the privacy of your own home, so we agree with you and thank you for stressing this point that closing your curtains is definitely a good idea. We hope that your candid personal opinions are construed as useful to other readers. Thank you for choosing SALA Phuket! The SALA Management Team.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,697)

Reviewed October 9, 2013

My wife, baby, and I stayed at the Sala for a 5-day getaway during early August. We loved our stay, despite the lousy weather (see below) and would highly recommend this hotel to others.

Weather:

We were warned prior to booking the trip that going to Phuket during the summer would involve some risk of rainy weather; however, we thought (hoped) that any rain would just be short showers followed by clear skies. Unfortunately, what we experienced was 4 consecutive days of torrential rainfall. It was not until the last day when we saw any clear sky.

Room:

We reserved a One Bedroom Pool Villa Suite. This private villa (building, pool, plus private area) was quite large at over 2,300sf. The private pool was very large as well at roughly 10m x 3m. The bedroom (with king bed) and living room area (with full size daybed) was divided by a revolving door. The room had all the necessities that one would typically need, ranging from two flat screen TVs, DVD player, mini-bar, air conditioning and ceiling fans, coffee and tea makers, etc. The private sala and sunbathing deck was also quite large, with an L-shaped sofa and two lounge chairs.

One important point to note, as this may work for some but not others, is that the bathroom is outdoors next to the indoor living area. The vanity area, double sinks, shower, toilet, everything – all located outside. While this didn’t bother us per se, it was at times a little annoying when you’re stumbling outside to find the bathroom at 4am or when you’re swarmed by mosquitoes when all you really want is some privacy…

Other Facilities:

Overall, compared to other larger nearby hotels such as the JW Marriott Phuket, Sala does not have many other on-site extracurricular activities. There is a small gym, two large infinity pools, and a spa. There may not be enough entertainment on-site for older kids. Overall fit and finish was still in very good shape.

There is one large restaurant (with indoor and outdoor seating) and a bar / lounge area with large round daybeds. We really enjoyed this set up and it was very easy and relaxing to dine there.

Food:

Overall, the food was actually much better than expected (we had lowered expectations from reading reviews on Trip Advisor). We ate all our meals at the hotel so we tried everything from the breakfast buffet, to a la carte lunch and dinner, to themed dinners, to room service. We were pleasantly surprised. Naturally, their Thai cuisine is better than their western cuisine but overall everything was quite decent.

If you get bored of (or dislike) the food at Sala, you could also go to restaurants at other nearby hotels (within 3 – 4 minutes drive) such as Anantara Phuket Villas and JW Marriott Phuket Resort and Spas. Sala provides complimentary rides to and from these hotels.

Service / Staff Friendliness:

The staff was very friendly, especially those that work at the restaurant and room service. They were very attentive and managed to get all of our (many) picky requests correct. Most importantly, they were extremely friendly and helpful with our son. Many of the restaurant staff eagerly volunteered to hold him during our meals so that my wife and I can actually eat our food and enjoy our meal. That was one of the most pleasant surprises of our trip. We were initially concerned about what to do with our son during meals since we did not bring a stroller or car seat, but that concern was quickly alleviated after our first meal.

Key Standouts:

We received excellent personal attention from the moment we arrived at the hotel – from personal notes to complimentary champagne to very customized service throughout the resort.

My family and I would (and plan to) go back and stay at the same resort. We stayed at the Anantara Phuket Villas a few months earlier and while the Anantara was a more expensive and higher rated hotel, we enjoyed our experience at the Sala much more.

Other Tips:

In retrospect, coordinating with hotel management to get the right room is very important (i.e., in terms of location, type of room, etc.). The Sala has different types of rooms and villas ranging in price and size from:

(i) “Deluxe Balcony” – these are just regular rooms in a big concrete building
(ii) “Garden Pool Villa” – these are semi-private pool villas on the bottom floor of the building with other guest rooms on top
(iii) “Sala Pool Villa” – these are independent villas in a private enclosed set up with own pool
(iv) “One Bedroom Pool Villa Suite” – these are larger private pool villas (about twice the size of the Sala Pool Villa) with private pool
(v) “Two Bedroom Pool Villa Suite” – these are the largest private pool villas, with separate buildings for each bedroom and overall the indoor space is about twice the size of a One Bedroom Suite

Location of the villa is also quite important. There is a main walkway with lots of foot traffic for guests / service staff so try to avoid the villas facing this main path. We specifically requested a quiet room so our villa was nicely tucked away in a quiet area of their compound.

Room Tip: See review regarding room selection and location.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RNG1008
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Dear Signature RNG1008, WOW! What an amazing review, giving us perfect scores in all categories. Thank you ever so much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive and useful review of your 5 night family stay at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa. It is so wonderful to read that you had such a beautifully relaxing time in spite of the poor weather you unfortunately experienced. We shall ensure we share your lovely review with the whole of our SALA team on your appreciation of the great customer service especially our restaurant team. Thank you very much again and we hope you’ll return for another family holiday in the near future, please do let us know when you wish to return. Our best regards The SALA Management

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Just no words to describe how peaceful this hotel is. From the very moment we arrived there you can breathe
a different air; an air of peacefulness and harmony, a zen style.

Special thanks for the staff, they treated us with kindness and always with a smile in their faces!!!

Dar gracias al chico que nos recogió y llevó de visita al pueblo.

we went there for our honeymoon, and they welcomed us with fruits, cava and chocolate in the room!!!

The vila was awesome, with a private pool only for us, and a big comfortable bed.

Nice, tasty and varied food to enjoy in the restaurant!

Although the weather was a bit cloudy, we could enjoy a nice walk in the beach and a swim in the pool.

In resume, a place 100% worth going.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com
1  Thank amitthadani
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Signature amitthadani, thank you ever so much for such a wonderful review. Muchas gracias por tu opinión. It’s so lovely to hear you both had such a wondrous stay at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa. We will ensure we share your beautiful comments with our entire SALA team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Esperamos que vuelvas. Our best regards The SALA Management

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed for nine nights in this unique resort in a SALA Villa and we enjoyed it very much. The architecture is very special. No typical Thai-Style, very modern. You had to like it, otherwise you probably won´t enjoy the stay in this resort. And it´s very secluded. For couples, who are looking for a very private stay, it is perfect.
The villa offers every comforts, you expect in a 5* resort. With a really big pool and an outdoor-bathroom, which is probably not everybody´s wish. But even in the rainy season you can sit outside in a ´Sala´, while it´s raining. The room itself is not really big, but is enough, ´cause most time you will spend in the outdoor-area. Though there should be more room for clothes.
There is only one restaurant in the resort, but you can get there Thai and international food. And the taste is really good. The breakfast is partly a la carte and partly a buffet.
It´s very nice to lay on big beds at the bar, enjoying some cocktails and looking over the sea. Also te Spa is to be recommended.
Everyone of the staff is quite kind and helpful, always with a smile on the face. Thanks for that. Housekeeping works perfectly, also the turn-down-service presenting every evening another type of juice.
Our stay in SALA Phuket was perfect. For couples, looking for privacy and calmness, it´s to be absolutely recommended. A unique pearl.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Dear Signature Sven4, thank you ever so much for writing such a wondrous review of your nine nights at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa in one of our pool villas. We will ensure we share your lovely comments with our entire team on the service they provided you both especially our food & beverage and housekeeping teams. It’s great to read you experienced and thoroughly enjoyed our award winning spa, and hope you’ll return for another joyous vacation in the near future. Thank you again The SALA Management

Reviewed October 1, 2013

the hotel is far away, but far of being a problem, its an oasis in the middle of nothing. totally relaxing atmosphere, the food awesome, i took rissotto, and for the money we paid it was more than worth it.

the selection of spanish wines is incredible, they even have albariño, and again, the price affordable.

i will go back for sure, im in love with this place.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear Signature Jomasama, thank you ever so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review and for choosing SALA Phuket Resort & Spa for your vacation. It is wonderful to hear you describe us as a "paradise in Phuket" and we look forward to you returning to Paradise in the very near future. Our best regards The SALA Management

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed at Sala for 8 nights in July in a Garden pool villa. The villa was incredible and so private. The staff we could not fault, they were wonderful and always friendly. The meals were incredible with a vast menu. Whether we had a poolside hamburger or tapas or fine dined by candle light. We were lucky to experience the Thai traditional menu and performance, was so much fun. For our first time in Thailand, Sala has left a permanent impression and we can't wait to return. We are already planning to return in 2015 but hoping to spend 2 weeks and make it an annual holiday. We will definitely be back. Michelle and Aaron

• Stayed: July 2013
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Michelle and Aaron, WOW - 5 out of 5 in every category! Such a wonderful review of your 8 day stay at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa! It’s so wonderful to read what a joyous vacation in every way you had and that we made such a lasting impression on you both that you’ll return in 2015. We will ensure we share this with our entire SALA team. Thank you again and we shall look forward very much to your return and please let us know in advance of your arrival. Our very best regards The SALA Management

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Had a wonderful 2 night stay - excellent value for money.

No point repeating what has already been written about out the modern design, beach etc.

Highlights:
- one of the best beds I have slept on (and I have stayed in dozens of five star properties) - right mix of firmness and comfort. Never slept so well without a back ache.
- fluffy warm towels stacked up by the pool and in villa (how do you guys keep it that way all the time?)
- beautiful ambience and public areas
- free bicycles were well maintained
- great quality linen
- there was loud construction at my villa within minutes of me checking in; while I was disappointed, service recovery was prompt and generous. The assistant manager offered to move me to a more spacious villa away from the noise.

Suggestions:
- I have stayed in many hotels in Phuket and I have realistic expectations of English capabilities but I found Sala waitstaff have worse English than most (on average)
- while most staff are friendly and competent, some are gruff and rude (in one case they made a comment in Thai to each other about me)
- food (even for locally procured items, e.g., seafood) is priced about 50% higher than a top end Bangkok restaurant and on par with Sydney or London. To be fair, however, quality and ambience were good and we didn't feel ripped off. But it is a very expensive place to eat and there are few options close by.

Regarding the architecture - it is really for couples. We traveled with a 7 year old child and found it hard to share the open bathroom. I am used to outdoor bathrooms in high-end tropical hotels but keep in mind the architecture at Sala is is really open, not just outdoor. The curtains provide little privacy. This is not a criticism of the hotel, just a design fact that guests should be aware of.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Critical_eye1111

Dear Signature Critical_eye1111, thank you for your review and for choosing SALA Phuket Resort & Spa for your 2 night vacation with your wife and child. It’s great to hear you had such a wonderful time and enjoyed the comfort of your villa and its bed so much. Like any business sometimes things unfortunately go wrong and we pride ourselves on our service recovery and it’s so warming to hear you highlight this. Regards your comments on the English ability of some of our team we do take English communication very seriously and our in-house native English teacher conducts departmental on-the-job and classroom based language classes with all our guest contact staff every week. As I am sure you’re aware language skills also comes down to confidence, listening skills, comprehension and understanding of other nationalities’ accents and language traits and these are some of the things we are constantly striving to improve on. Thank you again and we do hope you’ll return and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. The SALA Management.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
The Vijitt Resort Phuket
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 333 in Patong

Been to SALA Phuket Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!