“Nice, not 5*”

SALA Phuket Resort and Spa
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I went here for my honeymoon and it was a reasonably nice place to stay. The pictures looked amazing, in real… it isn’t as nice. The basin was steel and had a fair bit of rust on it (I don’t expect this from a “5*” resort! The tea/coffee area had tiny insects everywhere. I called reception when I got there to ask about an electric insect repellent that had been mentioned to us, they said they would send someone over but didn’t. I called again half an hour later and was told the same thing, a further 30minutes later.. someone turned up. We took a walk to the beach and noticed a load of garbage everywhere… it was as if there had been some sort of night party. We were miserable for the rest of the night, but, when we went again the next day.. it was fine. The poolside waiter is amazing, very friendly.. brings everyone iced tea 

Breakfast – Isn’t great. Theres very little of the “buffet” breakfast, the rest has to be ordered. The service was not very good at all. I remember a young man that would come and take our order, he was miserable and not very polite. I asked him for cutlery, which he went and got without a “sorry about that/here’s your cutlery”. Then there was no English breakfast tea so again I had to ask for it. I noticed that everyday… there was something missing from our table – napkin/tea/milk/cutlery/sugar. Again.. would you expect this from a 5* start resort?
I complained about the service to the manager and he very kindly offered us a free dinner. I must say the service at dinner was exceptional.. a middle aged man served us all evening- being friendly, engaging in conversation and also got me some insect repellent!

What I did like… the turn down service. A healthy drink is left in your room, incense sticks and candles are lit. The spa is AMAZING.. a treatment is well worth the money. Dinner is lovely. Reception staff are very nice too.

I would call this 4* at the most, maybe because I had come from an actual 5* Maldives resort and Bangkok Banyan tree where the service had been absolutely faultless!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mpatel_23
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Signature Mpatel_23, firstly let us say congratulations on your marriage and thank you for choosing SALA Phuket Resort & Spa for one of the locations for your honeymoon. We are sorry to say that it’s a little difficult to respond directly to your issues being they were 10 months ago. We certainly have improved and continue to improve as one can see from our latest reviews with more than 66% of our reviews scoring us a perfect 5 and more than 87% of our guests scoring us 4 or better. All our 79 room, villas and suites undergo a very detailed preventative maintenance program though being set right in the beautifully picturesque Sirinath National Park right on Phuket’s longest and most under developed Maikhao beach it does expose us to nature and its elements. We’re proud to say on a daily basis around the pool we are continuing to serve our very popular complimentary ice tea, and we’re glad you enjoyed this and the pool staff’s service. It’s also great to hear you were impressed with our award winning spa and our nightly turn-down service. We hope you’ll return and to experience what a difference a year makes! Let us wish you a lifetime of happiness together, our best wishes The SALA Management Team.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

We have been wanting to go to this hotel for quite sometimes and we are happy we finally have the chance to stay there. The hotel design is very modern and sleek but some of the furnitures are already quite old (though you can see there has been some replacements of new furnitures.) The breakfast is a little different from what you've experience but it is fantastic. The central swimming pools are perfect for both adults and kids. The room and the bed are very good. There are swings everywhere around the hotel for you to enjoy especially the ones beside the beach.
The downsides are we thought the hotel will provide a cd player with better sound quality for the hotel standard. And the service, some of the staff are very good but some are just average. But these downsides are nothing major so we still recommend the hotel. For those who expect a lot of happenings around the hotel, you might not like the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nitan2010

Dear Signature Nitan2010, thank you so much for your very nice review of your family vacation at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa. We shall certainly share your comments with our team especially our culinary team on in your words our ‘Fantastic breakfast’. We continually strive to improve and we shall look at the points you have mentioned. The swings dotted around the resort are part of our award winning design and are most popular with our guests both for great photo shots and just for chilling and watch the amazing Mai Khao sunset. Thank you for recommending us and we look forward to welcoming you back to SALA in the very near future. Best regards The SALA Management.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

This report is well overdue, we stayed in November last year after 2 previous trips during the year. We really like SALA and will most likely go back in the future.

SALA has a lovely setting, the rooms and great and the staff friendly. Basically you get what you see on the website.

During the stay we hosted a party. I have to admit we encountered a few service problems. They had clearly over committed themselves with another event that was running at the same time, then a downpour of rain complicated things further. It was a bit frustrating as we asked several times before the event if they had a back up plan if it rained - they said yes, but I'm not sure they really did. The food itself was excellent.

We also encountered a problem with the room that we were initially put in, but they resolved that very quickly and the alternative room we were put in was stunning.

So in summary, a few small issues but nothing major. We really enjoyed the stay once again and will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Stay further away from the restaurant/pool area. Some of the rooms back on to rear of the restaurant...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear Signature Gareth I, thank you for writing your review and for choosing SALA Phuket Resort & Spa for your birthday celebrations. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, the peace and quiet and for mentioning the small issues you encountered were quickly rectified. With respects to your small party on the roof top we did envisage concerns which we did communicate with your party in advance of the evening as we were having a special function on our vast lawn expanse to promote North Phuket, its diversity and the peace and tranquilly of SALA Phuket being set in the Sirinath National Park. The weather is unfortunately unpredictable and the plan was as discussed to move you to your private pool villa suite not comparable to our signature roof top however with a 79 room deluxe boutique villa resort our options are limited I am sorry to say. That being said, thank you for your review again, you certainly sound like you left with some fond memories and it’s so rewarding to hear you’ll be back in the future. Please do let us know when you’d like to return so we may welcome you back. All the best The SALA Management.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

it was my second hotel in phucket after the first being in the crowded patong
so to change to a much more quiet place with a private pool villa was amazing for my wife and little boy
service was excellent
the value of money was great too. we had a one night free because we used entertainer voucher
breackfast was reasonable
but the problem for me which i think is the case in all resorts was insects and bugs which was mainly outside near the pool but not inside the villa
the location is far from from everything
there is a nearby small tiny mall which was very poor and lack of everything
but overall if u want a quiet peaceful place with privacy its the perfect place for u

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Signature Amdsat, thank you for choosing SALA Phuket Resort & Spa to stay in one of our signature SALA pool villas and for such a positive review. We will be sure to share your comments of the excellent service from our team who really do appreciate the importance of truly Thai SALA hospitality. We are set on the beautiful Mai Khao beach in the Sirinat National park far away from the hustle and bustle of Patong a true destination for peace & quiet. We're sorry to hear about the insects which are harmless though being so close to nature it comes with the land I'm afraid. we do hope though it didn't detract from a wonderful family vacation and we hope to see you return in the future. Our best regards The SALA Management Team.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights with our 2 young toddlers (aged 5 and 3) at the Sala Phuket with private pool. It is exactly how it is as per in the photos. Very nice place, quiet and away from the busy beaches, shopping etc. Bed was very comfy and the pool was big. The only problem we find with the villa is it lack lightings. The best part is, We were amazed by the service from the staff as one of our kids were down with flu and fever where they thoughtfully placed a herbal drink to subside the flu, fever etc. (my guess is they must hv seen the medication on the shelf which we brought along) Really touched with the gesture.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Hierra
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear Signature Hierra, thank you ever so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We’re glad you enjoyed your signature pool villa so much, the lighting is designed that way sorry it's to be romantic. Our team is amazing at SALA and really do appreciate the importance of service excellent and it's wonderful when this is highlighter in the way you describe. We hope you left us with many great memories of your family holiday and we look forward to your return. All the best The SALA Management

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My partner and I were greatly anticipating our stay at Sala, after a week at Kamala Beach. I can safely say we were not disappointed. As we had spent the previous week in Kamala and had the chance to experience the craziness of Patong, the relative isolation of Mai Khao beach was very welcome. The free tuk tuk to Turtle Village allowed us to stock up on snacks but otherwise we barely ventured out.

We stayed at a garden villa, complete with the private pool. If your budget extends to it, definitely get a villa with a pool.

We gorged ourselves at breakfast and when we weren't enjoying our private pool, we were lying on one of the big outdoor beds/sofas by the bar. I prefer having dishes made to order rather than having a large buffet so breakfast was great. The turndown service was also lovely and I enjoyed the various teas that we got such as lemongrass and bael. All the staff were so attentive and lovely.

The only thing we didn't like was the outdoor toilet/shower/bathtub. Unfortunately I've discovered that mosquitoes love me (a love I do not reciprocate) so in the late afternoon/evening I would have to carry around the hotel-provided mosquito coil with me whenever I ventured out to use the bathroom.

Otherwise it was a joyous and relaxing stay. I am still super tanned but very sad to be back home!

Room Tip: Get a villa room with a private pool!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Signature Mic213, thank you for your review and it’s wondrous to hear you enjoyed your garden pool villa so much. if you're looking for Isolation and tranquility? Then SALA Phuket Resort & Spa is the perfect choice being we are located in the Sirinat National park and far away from the hustle and bustle of Patong. We shall ensure we share your comments with our team and it's great to read you enjoyed our à la carte breakfast. From our SALA Signature services guests may choose the scent of their shower gel, body lotion and soap, we’d recommend lemongrass which helps keep the mosquitoes at bay, maybe next time …. Please let us know when you wish to return. Our best regards and thank you again The SALA Management team.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed in Sala for nearly 10 days and had a fabulous time. it's not always easy to balance the needs of teenagers and adult parents but we compromised on a day by the pool followed by a day of excursions (all organised by the hotel) and had a fabulous time.

Breakfasts were amazing and the level of service in the bars and restaurants was kind and friendly. We tended to have dinner at the bar on the beach and were incredibly well looked after by the hard working staff at the bar.

We stayed in the balcony rooms which are enormous and very glamorous: the outside shower and bathroom is gorgeous and coming out at night to sit on the huge sofa smelling the mosquito coils was one of my highlights.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Sophie, thank you very much for your wonderfully positive review and for choosing SALA Phuket Resort & Spa for your family’s holiday. We will most certainly share your complimentary remarks with our team on the quality of the service they provided. I believe our EAM is resolving some issues relating to your stay via email as we speak. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Our very best regards The SALA Management

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Angsana Laguna Phuket
Angsana Laguna Phuket
#9 of 36 in Choeng Thale

Been to SALA Phuket Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!