Mai Khao (where the hotel is located) is a good 40 min drive away from the Patong, arguably the most popular beach in Phuket, and definitely the most crowded. That means dining and shopping choices are limited to the hotel, the little village, surrounding hotels and the tourist trap that is Turtle Village. Having said that, Mai Khao was perfect for our purpose because we were after a R&R getaway - plenty of time by the beach, plenty of time lounging by the poolside with a good book, plenty of time taking a dip in our private villa pool, interspersed with leisurely meals and spa treatments.
SALA doesn't come cheap, but if you're after a pampering good time, this is it. We stayed at the one-bedroom SALA pool villa, and it was lovely. There were complaints of course - the private pool wasn't as clean as I would have hoped (a few dried leaves, nothing extremely gross), the showerhead was rusted, there was a sizeable lizard that shared our villa (but not harmful, we were told) and the floors of the bedroom and living area weren't spotless, but it's not unexpected given that this is a villa with plenty of open spaces that were exposed to the elements. Still, the room was spacious, there was always something to watch on telly, and if you still weren't entertained, I heard you could borrow DVDs from the hotel. The pandan and lemongrass drinks left behind during their nightly turn-down service were very thoughtful.
The hotel provides a daily shuttle service to Jung Ceylon, where Patong is, so you can have a touristy evening out with the masses of tourists, or you could stay in and have a treatment at the spa which was so good I went twice, for 90 min each time. There are also bicycles for hire, which you can take and cycle around the swampy area that surrounds the hotel, or to visit the Mai Khao Village or Turtle Village. Otherwise you could always vegetate under one of the many umbrellas and sleep or read a book, whilst enjoying the complimentary iced tea that was promptly served every time we took our places on a sun lounger. The waves on Mai Khao Beach were too strong during our stay for a swim, so that was a regret.
Breakfast was a highlight - the pancakes and waffles were so fluffy and good, I looked forward to it every morning.
All in all, a very lovely time was had.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SALA Phuket Resort and Spa is a stunning deluxe pool villa resort, featuring private swimming pools in 63 out of 79 rooms, villas, and suites. SALA Phuket boutique resort is an impressive compliment to its popular sister property, SALA Samui. SALA Phuket combines rare historical Sino - Portuguese architecture with modern 5-star facilities. Located on pristine Mai Khao beach on Phuket's northwest shoreline, SALA Phuket Resort and Spa is just 20 minutes from Phuket International Airport. The famous Blue Canyon Golf Course is a short distance from SALA Phuket and the picturesque Phang Nga Bay is located just 25 minutes away. SALA Phuket is the ideal location for a Phuket wedding and honeymoon with its vast and private pristine golden sand beach and lush beach side lawn surrounded by a coconut tree plantation swaying in the wind. In addition to friendly, professional and personalized service, SALA Phuket luxury resort offers facilities including:- 3 large beachfront swimming pools, world class international beachfront restaurant and bar with an air-conditioned dining option, Award winning SALA Spa, full equipped gym, steam rooms & salon, complimentary wi-fi internet connection throughout the entire resort, gift shop, business traveler services, entertainment and theme nights, nightly villa turn down service, In-Villa dining, miles of untouched beach front, the longest and least developed in Phuket, an array of local activities and excursions are available. Weddings at SALA Phuket, marriage is an occasion that should be cherished always. A variety of locations for your ceremony are available, from golden sand beach stretches, lush green lawn expanses or an intimate sunset rooftop vantage. Our personal and intuitive staff will ensure your special occasion receives the attention it deserves. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, TravelClick, Agoda, Cancelon, Travelocity, HotelQuickly, Hotwire, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your SALA Phuket Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sala Phuket Mai Khao
- Sala Phuket Hotel Mai Khao
- SALA Phuket Resort And Spa Mai Khao