“A tranquil retreat”

SALA Phuket Resort and Spa
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Mai Khao (where the hotel is located) is a good 40 min drive away from the Patong, arguably the most popular beach in Phuket, and definitely the most crowded. That means dining and shopping choices are limited to the hotel, the little village, surrounding hotels and the tourist trap that is Turtle Village. Having said that, Mai Khao was perfect for our purpose because we were after a R&R getaway - plenty of time by the beach, plenty of time lounging by the poolside with a good book, plenty of time taking a dip in our private villa pool, interspersed with leisurely meals and spa treatments.

SALA doesn't come cheap, but if you're after a pampering good time, this is it. We stayed at the one-bedroom SALA pool villa, and it was lovely. There were complaints of course - the private pool wasn't as clean as I would have hoped (a few dried leaves, nothing extremely gross), the showerhead was rusted, there was a sizeable lizard that shared our villa (but not harmful, we were told) and the floors of the bedroom and living area weren't spotless, but it's not unexpected given that this is a villa with plenty of open spaces that were exposed to the elements. Still, the room was spacious, there was always something to watch on telly, and if you still weren't entertained, I heard you could borrow DVDs from the hotel. The pandan and lemongrass drinks left behind during their nightly turn-down service were very thoughtful.

The hotel provides a daily shuttle service to Jung Ceylon, where Patong is, so you can have a touristy evening out with the masses of tourists, or you could stay in and have a treatment at the spa which was so good I went twice, for 90 min each time. There are also bicycles for hire, which you can take and cycle around the swampy area that surrounds the hotel, or to visit the Mai Khao Village or Turtle Village. Otherwise you could always vegetate under one of the many umbrellas and sleep or read a book, whilst enjoying the complimentary iced tea that was promptly served every time we took our places on a sun lounger. The waves on Mai Khao Beach were too strong during our stay for a swim, so that was a regret.

Breakfast was a highlight - the pancakes and waffles were so fluffy and good, I looked forward to it every morning.

All in all, a very lovely time was had.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Signature lingisaling, thank you for taking the time to write a very positive and detailed review of your stay at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa in one of our signature SALA Pool villas. It’s wonderful to hear you enjoyed the peace and tranquility provided at SALA being located in the Sirinat National park and far away from the hustle and bustle of Patong. Our award winning spa has gained many admirers since we opened and so too have our breakfast pancakes and waffles. It so pleasing to hear you enjoyed some of the little things we do to make our guest's stay so much more enjoyable the nightly turn-down teas, complimentary bicycles and ice tea around the fun pool. We hope to see you back very soon and please do let us know when you wish to return. All the very best The SALA Management

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Thank you to Jon for asking me to leave a review. We wanted to reply to the feedback form but forgotten in the room. We have been to the SALA for the fourth time. We simply love the decor of the place and the very relaxing atmosphere yet attentive to your needs. This time was a little disappointing as breakfast was changed slightly. The steak option which my husband loved was removed from the menu but the new addition of the salad bar was not bad. Also, we observed that the packaging & quality of the matches (which used to be so impressive) has been compromised.

We still love the place, nevertheless. We went for SALA signature seafood platter on the 2nd night of our stay. The seafood was very disappointing. Either the supplier short-change or management chose a cheaper selection for the quality of the seafood is really not too good. It was really a lot better back then.

This trip was the first time we tried the SPA. We are not regulars of SPA so we cannot comment if it was good or not but at least the massage was really good after a day out at the beach. The masseurs were really attentive to our sunburns and gave us frozen towels to ease our burnt skin.

It would be great if they could manage our late flight time better rather than just insist we check out as there was another person checking into the same room. We can be inform during our check-in or provide us with alternatives. We have been asking for adjustments to check-out timing since we check-in but to no reply and we had to walk to the reception (at 10:30pm) on the night prior to our check-out and wait there for an answer instead. The responsiveness to enquiries were lacking this time. It would be helpful if they could offer us a room option with late-checkout available even if at an additional fee.

SALA sent me a birthday treat on my birthday which was one day after we check-out. That was not very attentive. Since the management decided to come up with birthday marketing, then staff should be more attentive to look at patrons' birthday when they check-in. 3years ago when we were at SALA during the same time, (because its always a birthday trip), they even sent in a birthday cake and drinks to our villa.

Given Phuket's low season, the standard has dropped quite a bit since the rise of a few other SALA resorts across Thailand. Hopefully, the commercialization of the group will not affect the standard that much.

We will still return to SALA because we simply love the whole feel of the place. It really makes us feel at home.

1  Thank LuxBeachSuckers
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Signature LuxBeachSuckers, Thank you for taking the time to write your review and more importantly for choosing to return to SALA Phuket Resort & Spa. We have discussed your review in some detail and appreciate your candid comments. We hope you had an enjoyable birthday upon your return home and apologies for the mistiming of our marketing on this. It’s wonderful to hear you experienced and enjoyed our award winning spa and the positive additions to our breakfast buffet accept for the fact that we don’t have steak on the breakfast menu anymore. We shall continue to strive to improve, using the feedback from your goodselves and our other reviews. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Our best regards The SALA Management.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Wow! My husband brought me to Phuket for my birthday. We stayed at Mom Tri's as well as here and my biggest regret was not staying at Sala longer. So romantic that perhaps I should credit Sala with strengthening my marriage now... Thanks Sala! Loved the special touches like the 'Do Disturb' beads for the door, umbrellas and sarong hanging in our cupboard and special teas in our room in the evening with the little info tags on! Our room had a pool and bathing outside was such fun...Breakfasts were yum! A candle for the flies would have been super but their pancakes with vanilla cream and diced mango as well as high standard of service makes up for this. The restroom and spa design is so innovative and I love that their spa experience is a dream one true. As for the birthday cake made by Tik, gastronomical chocolate gourmet that I wish I could get the recipe for. We also had a blast getting a bike and riding around for an hour. Again I wished I could stay longer because they have some exciting activities and tours... We loved watching the evening movie outdoors while munching on popcorn! Here's my suggestion: some staff need new uniforms. But that's about it!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a pool!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear Signature Shannah44, WOW indeed - what a beautiful review! We are so happy to hear you had such a marvelous birthday celebration during your stay at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa. It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed our nightly turn-down teas and all our quant room amenities. I think our pancakes and waffles may have had more wonderful comments on here than anything else though the Ribs on Wednesdays come quite close too. Our award winning spa is pure heaven and we’re so please you thoroughly enjoyed your experience. Our outdoor cinema is on Tuesdays & Saturdays and it is a truly memorable time – thank you for such a vivid and enchanting account of your stay. We too hope next time it’s for a little longer….. Thank you for your comments on the uniforms, we do try to ensure the team are in pristine condition as best we can though one or two may need a refresh, we’ll take a look! We wish you many many many more years of happiness together and look forward to you retuning in the future. All our best The SALA Management

Reviewed August 14, 2013

The Sala Resort and Spa is a harbinger - a style of its own. I might not have thought so when I first saw it from the outset last year when I was walking along the beach at Mai Khao, Phuket Thailand. It appeared segregated into its own high-walled exteriors and left me wondering what it could possibly be like? This year I stayed at the Sala and once inside this enclosure, I can assure you Cleopatra would not have been disappointed.

Within The Sala’s luxury villas, guests can swim in their very own private pool without having to venture out. Adding another level of chic sophistication; an outside gigantic scalloped mirror reflects the calm water, tear-dropped, chandelier-like light fittings which hang charmingly, a deep elongated bathtub, along with the lush furniture and comfy pillows, are all located under a protected area overlooking the pool. Under the mirror is the bathroom vanity with a double basin which had more than enough space for all those girly amenities - usually flung around like there’s no leaving the place soon. As for the outdoor shower, there’s something quite exhilarating about having a warm ‘rain shower’ whilst it’s actually raining.

Within the living area, the décor is very easy on the eye with delightful hues of mauve and purple in the closet areas which contain a scarf and umbrellas. The space to make a coffee/tea or any other preparation can be hidden by sliding doors, which can also hide your luggage. My only disquiet was if you wanted to fill the coffee plunger/tea pot or have the need for any water, you would need to walk outside to the bathroom basin. No big deal - just thought it worth a mention from someone who always enjoys a constant cuppa.

Breakfast is definitely worth a mention as it’s served in the main beach-side restaurant overlooking Phang Nga Bay. From the menu you can choose your meal which is cooked to your liking. All the other accompaniments are within easy reach as buffet style with fruit, toast, bakery goodies and an assortment of dishes to suit various cultures’ tastes.

As for the Sa la vie feel of this property, it’s ideal for a newly-wed couple who can retreat at any time and push the ‘do not disturb’ button. Undoubtedly The Sala is synonymous with intimacy and style and is highly recommended to anyone seeking seclusion. And really, who cares what outsiders think when you close off the rest of the world and you become Cleopatra with your new partner …

Leaving was difficult and whilst waiting for the taxi, one young staff member I spoke to assured me my taxi was coming. He said the Resort takes pride in its staff and he was learning (through his employer) to speak English and improve his job opportunities with them. I thought this was quite admirable and the service here is second to none with young bright people at the helm.

The Sala is located approximately twenty minutes north of Phuket airport and the taxi ride is around Baht 500 each way (aprox A$18.00 on today’s exchange rate).

3  Thank TravelGracefull... Y

Dear Signature Grace Club T, wow where do we begin to thank you for scoring us a perfect 5 on all categories! Thank you ever so much for choosing to stay with us at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa and for writing such a comprehensive and positive review. The outdoor bath is admired and enjoyed by the vast majority of our guests, but unfortunately it does not suit everyone. We’re Glad you enjoyed your breakfast, our culinary team take great pride in delivery an exquisite experience every time. We take our training very serious and believe in training, developing yet allowing for our team's individuality. It is great to hear you had such a wondrous stay and hope you’ll be returning to your Cleopatra like state in the near future. Please do let us know when you wish to return. Our very best wishes The SALA Management.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Couldn't be happier with our stay at Sala. Beautiful accommodation, beautiful staff, nice beach, and a pool that was never crowded.

We had a garden pool villa which was very nice. Very impressed with the villa and its fittings. Great lazing by the communal pool as well. For a place with about 75% occupancy at the time there were hardly more that 6-10 people in the main pool at any one time. The bar staff were great and prices very reasonable. A trainee staff member Minah has the most beautiful smile and just made us smile when we saw her. A truly beautiful place. Will go back again one day.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank BasilCelano
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Signature BasilCelano, thank you ever so much for such a wonderfully positive review on SALA Phuket Resort & Spa and your garden pool villa. We shall ensure we share your comments with our great team here and in particular Minah. Thank you again and please do let us know when you wish to return. All the best The SALA Management.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

The first hotel of our honeymoon couldnt be better.
We stayed in the Villa, with a great room and perfect private pool.
Great breakfast, very nice and cool outside swimming pool, extremely attencious staff.
Dont go to Phi Phi Islands on the weekends (to crowd).
Very nice, modern, private hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the Villas
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Signature NataliaTMC, thank you for choosing SALA Phuket Resort & Spa to celebrate your honeymoon and it’s so great to hear you had such a wondrous time in your SALA Signature Pool Villa. We are truly blessed with our great team! Thank you again and may we just add our congratulations once again and wish you a lifetime of happiness. All the best The SALA Management.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

I want this review to be constructive for the staff as well as any potential future visitors. The location is excellent if you want a relaxing holiday. The villas are well kept and it is great to have your own pool (if you are staying in the pool villa). The main thing that needs to improve is the service you receive. Let be more specific:

1. From day one our lights did not work in the pool and around the pool. We asked for them to be fixed. After several hours they were fixed for all of an hour and then even more lights went out. I know it's a little thing but it is important when you are paying the kind of prices charged by Sala. By the wAy...the lights in Villa 37 are still not working even after 5 days.

2. On checking in they ask you what time you would like your room serviced, etc. great idea. Except it was never stuck to. We requested 11 and on one of the days it was 3! (And this was after I had to phone them.

3. Also on check in you are asked which pillows you would like, soap, etc. again lovely touch BUT yet again never delivered. I know management will respond with you should have phoned ...but to be honest I got sick of phoning! I am supposed to be on holiday after all.

4. The biggest problem is the lack of understanding of some staff. I asked for a beer at lunch one day and was told no... Even though the bar is at the end of restaurant!!

On the food front ...I would recommend the food but again this is let down by the service. E.g. No plates given even though the food had been delivered to the table.

I enjoyed the stay but feel the place is let down by the service. If you are willing to negotiate every aspect of your stay then go ahead and book...personally I would think twice which is shame because the place deserves better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Kevin, firstly thank you for choosing SALA Phuket Resort & Spa for your holiday and for taking the time to write such a positive, extensive and constructive review of your stay. Our team has discussed your review in quite some detail and we feel quite disappointed to have not only let you both down, but ourselves too on some key issues which we aim to learn from and eradicate moving forward. The common denominating factor throughout your points is the lack of or incorrect communication. I do not wish to count all of your points with a reason or excuse as that is not what you want to hear now you’re back in England. However we do wish to apologise sincerely for want of some better words oversights and lack of follow-up; from the electrical issues in your villa which by all counts were due to them tripping the circuit which we’ve fixed, to the breakdown and no follow-up on you SALA Signature Services through our front office and on the occasion of your unacceptably late daily maid service on one of the days. Communication and understanding can always be a challenge when abroad with numerous different accents and nationalities and staff speaking their second or in some cases their third language with English. That aside we do continue to make good progress through our in-house dedicated native English teacher from England and our commitment to departmental skills and knowledge service training which we do take very seriously with both individual and departmental monthly training targets. It’s good to hear you enjoyed our cuisine and although you did experience some challenges we do hope overall you left us with some fond memories and fully relaxed. Thank you again and rest assured we will learn from this and hope you’ll return in the future to experience the improvements. Our very best regards The SALA Management.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 328 in Patong
Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas

Been to SALA Phuket Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!