“Great for a relax”

SALA Phuket Resort and Spa
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I went to Sala based on a previous visit to Sala in Samui. Our villa was so large, grand beyond our expectations. It was a girls week, full of spa treatments and lovely meals. I though the Spa was very special and worth going for one of their spa packages...the staff delightful. Food was always spectacular

The main negative was the slippery tiles in the villa...if it rains or you step out of your pool, it is a major health hazard..apart from that...very good

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Signature asuann, Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on SALA Phuket Resort & Spa and we are so glad to hear that you had such a wonderful stay.. Thank you also for supporting the SALA brand at SALA Samui too. Our award winning spa has gained many admirers and we shall pass on your lovely comments to both our spa team and to our chef and his kitchen team. Your comments on the slippery floor are well noted, we do have an anti-slip mat which runs along the length of the pool, however we will relook at this. We also have some new SALA boutique properties opening soon in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Ayutthaya. All the best and we hope to see you again in the near future. SALA Management

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed with my partner in a Sala Pool Villa for 4 nights in September 2012. When we arrived we were being told the villa is not ready, as the resort is far from Town (15mins drive from the airport, 45mins to Patong Beach and cab fare is around B400), we followed advise to go to the restaurant to have lunch while we wait. (we don't mind as we wanted a slow-paced holiday and if you choose this resort you probably prefer to stay in and spend time in the resort) The food was OK, standard hotel priced, but there were lots of flies at that time and we needed to constantly use our hand fan over the food just to get those flies away! I think that is the one thing the management can work on. Other than that, the every breakfast we had in the indoor restaurant was perfect in terms of choices and quality.

The villa was great, we had a pool (not a plunging one, we could really swim a bit in it), a comfy bed, a sala (an outdoor area for lounging) and a bath tub next to the pool, we enjoyed the time staying in as we had all these different corners to hang out everyday. The room service was fast and staffs were attentive and only visible when you needed them.

The last thing we recommend to other travelers is the Mai Khao Beachfront of the hotel, although I don't think it's suitable for swimming as the waves are quite strong but the sands are so soft and it's perfect watching the sun setting. Overall it is a very satisfying experience in Sala Phuket.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
SALA_General_Manager, General Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Signature Ted8498 Hong Kong, thank you for your review and and positive feedback, we are glad you enjoyed the resort facilities and guest services during your stay. We apologise for the inconvenience of the flies in our outdoor restaurant which the team has taken a great deal of measures to eradicate these utilizing non toxic pestisides and spraying the gardens each morning before breakfast along with fly blue lights in the restaurant positioned at each side of guests dining tables and we also offer our indoor A/C restaurant for the comfort of guests. The pristine white sandy beach of Mai Khao stretching over 9km in length offers guests a wonderful stroll through national parks and unforgettable sunsets! and is swimmable between Oct - May. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back to our friendly shores of Phuket and SALA Resort and Spa in the near future. Regards Jon Ashenden GM

Reviewed January 23, 2013

My partner and I stayed 7 nights in January in a 1 bedroom pool villa. We thoroughly enjoyed our room and loved having total privacy with our own pool. The pool water was quite cool and refreshing. The beach was clean without noisy activities and water clear during our stay. The resort pools are great with warmer water. We enjoyed the happy hour bar every night from 5-630pm watching the sun set into the ocean. Food at restaurants and room service was just ok so we opted to try other hotel and local restaurants in the area. Good small gym available. Service overall from all staff was good.

1  Thank jeremy48
SALA_General_Manager, General Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Signature Jeremy 48, Thailand. Thank you very much for your positive and recent review during your week's vacation. We are glad you both enjoyed the resorts design and private pool villas along with resort facilities and services. If you could take the time to elaborate on your comment regarding the cuisine we provide at the resort so we could look at ways to improve this for future guest experience we would very much appreciate it. Please feel free to contact us directly should you wish to return to Phuket. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Regards, Jon Ashenden General Manager SALA Phuket Resort and Spa.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

No offense, but those rated this resort excellent must have never been to any other hotels/resorts in Asia or Thailand, including 2 or 3 star ones.

We arrived around 12:30pm, a bit early so we pre-requested early check-in when we make the booking, it was ok. Upon arrival, we were told our villa's not ready because late check-out of other guests, so we need wait for a couple more hours. The problem is, if we had known early check-in is unavailable, we would have simply taken a later flight.

We went to the restaurant while waiting for our room to be ready. So smoking is not allowed in the restaurant, even the outdoor section. OK, we moved to bar. Smoking is allowed at the bar, but not food! We moved again to an outdoor area of the bar where we were allowed to do both.

Our light meal came. My boyfriend's burger was prepared exactly the opposite of what he had requested, while the chicken satay I had was raw in the inside! I asked the waiter to tell the chef, nothing from any of the hotel staff at all.

Plus, I wasn't allowed in the restaurant, indoor or outdoor, with a bikini top. I had to go back to the villa to get a t-shirt. Just like the smoking rules, they don't tell you any details. You only found out by trial-and-error. I have no problem with rules, just would be great if better informed.

Restaurant/bar staff are in general polite and friendly. But extremely inattentive. We have to wave at least two or three times to get any attention. And we needed to use flashlights during dinner so we could see what we were eating!

Overall the resort is old, unimpressive and over-priced. Don't be fooled by the pictures on the website, the real thing is so much older and worn. I have travelled around Asia a lot and stayed at many different hotels/resorts for different purposes, from luxury to bare minimum scuba diving site. The Sala experience is by far the worst. I certainly will not come back (can't wait to get out of here, two more nights to go), and will NOT recommend this resort to anyone else. You get a much better deal staying at a 3-star hotel here.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
13  Thank Yaminator426

Dear Signature Yaminator 426 - Hong Kong, China thank you for your feedback and review during your stay, it is disappointing that you decided to post the review whilst staying at the resort without bringing your dissatisfaction to the attention of the management to give us the opportunity to rectify your complaints. However once we were notified by Trip Advisor prior to your departure we did make contact and tried to resolve your displeasure. After a full investigation into your comments they are as follows; (1) The Private Pool Villa was not ready on early arrival - (Your request for early checkin was registered on the time of your reservation, however during high season and full occupancies NO resort will guarantee an early check in, suggest you 'Pre-Register by prepaying for one night in advance so the villa is ready for your early arrival). (2) Smoking in the restaurant not permitted - (This is an International standard and law in most countries, we do however offer guests the bar and outdoor deck for smoking, which was offered). (3) No food to be eaten in the bar? - This comment we don't understand as we offer complete food & beverage menus in the bar and lounge areas?). (4) Food order in the bar incorrect - we do train our employees to repeat orders back to our guests to ensure the language barrier is over come, we also employ a full time English teacher to further develop our staff to understand guest requests and expectations, we do apologize if we did not meet your expectations). (5) Restaurant does not permit guest to wear bikini top - (most 5 star resorts typically adopt a basic dress code in their restaurants due to other guest & patron dining complaints, we also now offer guests a shawl/sarong/casual trousers which we keep available in the restaurant in the event this should happen so as not to inconvenience them). (6) Dining difficult to see due to poor lighting - (We have looked into this and have improved dimmer units in the restaurant). (7) Resort looks old and worn - (The resort has been operating for 5 years and under goes extensive scheduled PMP/Preventative Maintenance Programs to all guest villas and public areas in the resort each year, which is checked and passed by GM and Chief Engineer before being released for sale). We apologize again as we clearly did not meet your expectations, however the resorts Trip Advisors profile has seen a large number of positive responses in the past posted by a large percentage of guests that have chosen to holiday at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa and has received numerous constructive comments back on our ability to provide quality services and product. Jon Ashenden General Manager SALA phuket Resort and Spa.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Very nice hotel, the room, the lobby and pools are great. But we're disappointed in their service. We traveled as a couple so we booked for 1 bed room pool villa. Somehow there was some problem and they asked us to wait at the lobby. (We had all the confirmation paper and everything) Finally they came to us and said that they will upgrade the room to 2 bedrooms villa for us!!! BUT we don't need 2 bedrooms, it's way too big for us. We tried to tell them that we want 1 bedroom villa because the space is suitable for us. Well they didn't have the room for us so we had to take 2 bedrooms villa. The space was too big for 2 people and was very creepy at night.

Service at the restaurant was also unpleasant for us. No greeting, waitress was ignoring us. We waited to be seated but no one take care of us. We won't feel that bad if they treat everyone equally. We were only Thai people there. We saw that their service for foreigners were very impressive.

The spa was very nice, well trained therapists.

The location is good because it is close to the airport. We took taxi from the airport and paid 300 baht.
---Do not ask hotel to call a taxi for you because they will charge you three times. We asked them to call a taxi to airport they said 900 baht. So we cancel them. If you need taxi just walk out of the main gate and turn left you will see local taxi station, book directly with them.

4  Thank Avika_p
Anthony_SALA, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Signature Avika_p,

Thank you very much for your feedback about your first experience at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa. We appreciate that you loved our resort style, the beauty of our Sino-Portuguese architecture, lobby, pool and our resort facilities.

We are very sorry to hear about your disappointment with our services with respects to your dissatisfaction on being upgraded to one of our 2 Bedroom Pool Villa suites. We did this a gesture of good will and to avoid any delay in your check-in, typically being upgraded to one of our exclusive 2 Bedroom Pool Villa Suites to which we only have 3 is always very much appreciated by our guests; however we are sincerely sorry this was not to your liking.
With regards to the taxi fare, it is cheaper when arranging a taxi from the metered taxi area at the airport however the standard local taxi fare from in-front of the resort is 500 Baht not 300 Baht which is reserved for from the airport to the resort only. The 900 Baht fee you mention from the resort to the airport is with our resort Toyota Fortuner. Our host would usually offer this service considering the safety and comfort of our 5 star guests, although we are more than happy to assist with organising a local taxi if the guest should so prefer.

We are extremely sorry to hear about your experience at the restaurant, our philosophy is to treat everyone equally no matter what nationality they are, Thai or foreign alike and our staff aspire to meet the expectations of all our guests and if in this case we fell short, we sincerely apologise and we will certainly look to improve.

Thank you once again for giving us your constructive feedback. Please feel free to contact me personally should you wish to return to SALA Phuket again.

Best regards,
Ake – Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We just left the resort yesterday after spending 4 incredible nights there, and I admit, I did shed a tear or two upon leaving. I didn't want to leave!

When we first arrived on Wednesday evenings we were greeted with a cold tea and flowers. We were then shown to our pool villa and while my boyfriend maintained his composure, my mouth dropped. I did not realize that we got one of the two, two level villas. Walking in, we were greeted with the light and airiness in the living room which continued throughout the villa. The villa was the most exquisite villa I have ever stayed in. I adapted to the outdoor living space pretty quickly. There is something euphoric about taking a shower or having a bath out doors. The only complaint that I would say is that the pool was cold, and do due the trees, and other things, we were only able to enjoy the sun and our pool for a couple of hours a day. But we would run down to the other pools of beach. We are from Canada...so I wanted to maximize my time in the sun!!

The staff for most part were friendly and courteous. Like many others who have posted, the restaurant was slow at times. We had the chance to experience dinner up on the rooftop for our last night and being able to sit back and look at the stars is something that we don't get living in the city. We ordered the ocean selection, which was yummy.

Our time at SALA was exactly what the doctor ordered. A few days of nothing but relaxation, and enjoying each other. We did do a couples massage and enjoyed the 90 minute treatment very much...and I equally enjoyed my pedicure.

We did take a taxi into Patong Beach one evening. My boyfriend said it perfectly, we had the best of both worlds, total seclusion and if we had the need for something crazy, Patong was easily accessible. But upon returning to SALA, we both agreed that we made the perfect choice by staying there. I just hope that Mai Khoa beach remains that way.

We are wrapping up our whirlwind tour of Asia, and by far, SALA and Mai Khao beach is the highlight to my vacation. We only left yesterday, but we both looked at each other last night and said we wanted to turn around and go back!!! We will return...hopefully sooner than later!!!

Thank you to the staff at SALA.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mchong5619

Dear Signature Sophiefromcanada, Thank you both so much for your encouraging and positive review during the end to your wonderful Asian vacation! I will ensure to inform my team of your constructive feedback and will bring the restaurant speed of service comment to the attention of our Food & Beverage Manager for action. Please feel free to contact us directly should you wish to return to Phuket. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Regards, Jon Ashenden General Manager SALA Phuket Resort and Spa.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and loved every minute of it. The beach is gorgeous and you mostly get it to you because for some reason almost everyone wants to be at the pool...which is right next to the gorgeous ocean...weird... I might have understood this if you could actually view the ocean from the pool chairs but there is a slight incline before the beach so you cannot. I was upgraded to a pool villa which was just lovely. The outdoor bath was also very cool.

I didnt really appreciate the hotel as much until i went walking along the beach to check out the other hotels and walk through them. The radisson to the left reminded me of a wooden apt building in sacramento. Very unimpressive and shocking to see basically an unimpressive apt building on the beach! The marriot was disneyland. I was lost inside almost immediately. I mean who goes to paradise to stay at a hotel where they dont even know where they are. That place was massive. Even had its own grocery store.

Long story short, staff was excellent, drinks were great, room fab, food could use a little improvement, but overall, my favorite in phuket thus far and its my second trip staying at multiple hotels each time :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Gayle12345

Dear Signature Gayle 12345 - CA, USA thank you very much for your recent and positive review and we are thrilled you enjoyed the resort facilites and services on your vacation. Being the 1st small luxury boutique 5 star resort opening in Mai Khao in December 2007 we understand your views on the large scale resort neighbors who were designed for volume, accommodating to groups, large weddings and MICE business. We do hope you will consider SALA Phuket Resort and Spa for on your next vacation. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Regards, Jon Ashenden General Manager SALA Phuket Resort and Spa.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Angsana Laguna Phuket
Angsana Laguna Phuket
#9 of 36 in Choeng Thale

Been to SALA Phuket Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!