“A little piece of remote paradise!”

SALA Phuket Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Mai Khao
Hertfordshire
“A little piece of remote paradise!”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I attended here with my Boyfriend, but left engaged :). This hotel is very picture perfect, lovely pools, a fantastic restaurant and very comfortable bar area. We had a fantastic room, one with its own pool. The rooms are very much for outdoor living, bathroom is very open plan, but the privacy is fantastic, so doesnt cause a problem. A short drive from the hotel is the turtle village, this has a pub restaurant and a cafe, the cafe actually makes for a very good meal!! We sat outside here on our engagement night nd and had a meal by candlelight, was very nice - very good as this is the only option we could find other than the pub, which didn't have the right feel for a special evening. We took the hotel bus into patong one night, think was about £30 travel, but was a full evening - is very busy in patong! So have this in mind, we liked it for a change, but probably wouldn't suit everyone, is full of narrow streets, market stalls, restaurants and a huge shopping mall, like I say we liked it, and had a great time, but wouldn't have rushed back for another evening - you need to book seat on coach for this at reception. We loved this place - especially the breakfasts! Steak for breakfast = amazing!. This place is very remote, so you need to consider this when booking, but don't let this put you off - we had 3 nights booked here as a wind down at the end of our holiday and this was perfect for us.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gen140
, General Manager at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Signature Gen 140 Hertfordshire, "Congratulations" and thank you very much for your positive feedback on your last 3 x nights of your vacation to SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, we are glad you thoroughly enjoyed the resorts facilities,cuisine and guest services which met your expectations. Please feel free to contact us should you wish to visit us again on your next return to Phuket. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Regards, Jon Ashenden General Manager SALA Phuket Resort and Spa.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Overall good environment and service. The individual pool villas definitely worth a visit. BUT, please somebody please do something about the geckos! There just so many of them! I get that they're good for human beings because they take care of all the insects, but waking up to a huge one the in the bathroom basin isn't remotely fun!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tutufung
, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Dear Signature Tutufung,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback during your visit to SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, we are glad you thoroughly enjoyed the resorts facilities and the private pool villa. With regards a small House Lizard (you called them "Gecko") and you were right they are good for human because they are taking care of all the insect, mosquitoes & etc.

From the resort side we do regularly pest control twice per week in order to maintain high level of service standard and to keep our place away from unexpected inspects. However since the resort is located in Maikhao National Park with open style bath concept it is a bit difficult for the resort to maintain outside area for not having at all the insects or House Lizard.

Once again thank you very much for your positive feedback, we will look into this matter and will fix it.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best Regards,
Ake Laochan – Executive Assistant Manager
devon
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Loved Sala Phuket and didnt want to leave. From the moment we arrived, we loved the style and feel to this hotel. It was very modern and minimalist designed in a sino portugese style in various shades of cream, beige and greys. We felt a great sense of space and almost a zen like feeling to the place. It was very relaxing and a great place to really chill out.

On check in we were offered different pillow types as well as 4 types of shampoos, conditioners etc. We stayed in a 2 bed pool villa which was huge and offered fantastic living space and huge bathrooms which we loved. the outside space was big with an outdoor sala, garden and great size pool which was good for doing some lengths. It was also a perfect temperature and not too warm. we really didnt want to leave our villa as it was so beautiful!

We tried the award winning spa and had an amazing massage. The staff were really professional in the spa too.

The food was great with a really extensive menu - there were too many things we wanted to try but didnt have enough time to work our way through everything! One evening we tried the ribs which were the best I have ever tried...they had been smoked over coconut husks so gave them a sweet smoked flavour. The exec chef - Jan was often visible in the restuarant and it was great to see someone with so much passion and enthusiasm for his food.

The rest of the staff were all very friendly too and always service with a smile which was great to see.

We will definitely go back to Sala Phuket and can certainly recommend it!

Room Tip: go for a pool villa
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Maggie S
Dear Signature Maggie S - Devon, thank you very much for your lovely comments and positive feedback during your vacation to SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, we are glad you thoroughly enjoyed the resorts facilities, guest services and Jan's famous 'Ribs' which exceeded your expectations. Your next visit must be longer! Please feel free to contact us should you wish to visit us again on your next return to Phuket. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Regards, Jon Ashenden General Manager SALA Phuket Resort and Spa.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Having returned from an 11 night stay at the Sala hotel in Phuket back in April 2012, I couldn’t wait to submit a review (my first). I was very tempted to submit a review during our stay, however I thought I would wait until I returned to the UK and wait a few weeks just to see if my recollection of how good the holiday was at the time would really still be held in my memory. I’m very pleased to say that it did. This trip was for a very belated honeymoon for myself and my partner following our Civil Partnership in the UK the previous year and having never been to Thailand before, we had no idea what to expect. We spent our first 3 days in Bangkok (amazing, hot, humid, busy, loved it) and when we arrived at Phuket airport we were hot and very tired. Our car took us directly to the Sala which was about a 15-20 minute drive. To get to the hotel you have to turn off the main highway and onto a road that runs past a couple of other larger hotels and a small open air shopping mall (good for basic provisions). When you pull into the Sala it is very clear that this is a very quiet, low key hotel. You exit the car and walk across a lovely still pond to be greeted by very warm and friendly staff at the open air reception. We were asked to sit for a few minutes whilst they checked if our room was ready and we were given scented cold towels and a chilled ginger tea to drink – a very welcome touch given the heat and humidity at the time. We were then politely told that our room would be ready in 15 minutes which gave us some time to view the surroundings. The Sala hotel is very small – only 79 rooms and it covers a very small strip of land between the nature reserve lake at the rear, all the way down to the beach. It’s mostly all single storey walled villas with a few two storey rooms up near the entrance and most of the public areas are very minimalist in style – think lush green symmetrical planting, concrete walls (very beautiful), cream, white, and dark grey colour palette. It won’t be to everyone’s taste but we totally loved it. If you are looking for large gas lights shooting flames into the night sky, or oversized Thai pottery and sculpture – then stay at the Marriott a few miles down the road.

So, in the end we only had to wait a further 2 minutes as it turned out and the receptionist who greeted us took us over to our room. We initially booked a Garden Pool villa in one of the two storey blocks. The room was wonderful. Mostly white and light beige colours – very muted and calming. The outside area was fantastic with a lovely outside bathroom and a nice outdoor private pool – large enough to do small laps. The receptionist then sat us down and went through the various choices of Pillow, shower gel, shampoo and scented oils that we could choose for our stay. We both thought that this was a really nice touch and went some way to personalise our stay. A few moments later we were left alone to explore the room further. I have read some reviews where people have commented that the rooms look worn, tired and dirty – that was not our experience. The entire hotel was spotless at all times and most of the paintwork in the room had been redone recently. The bed was a little hard for our liking but we still slept very well. The facilities in the room were very good – nice sized TV with a good range of English speaking channels, a fresh filter coffee machine which was restocked with fresh coffee each day, a nicely stocked mini bar (with reasonable pricing), very good air conditioning and most importantly of all very quiet. You can’t hear anyone else in any of the surrounding villas, all you can hear are the birds singing in the daytime and the crickets in the evening. So peaceful!!!

Later on during that first day we walked down to the restaurant for dinner and we were lucky enough to be able to book one of the last slots for the BBQ Ribs. Now, I am certainly no Rib aficionado but I thought they were best ribs I had ever tasted (and the portions are massive – you only need to go for the half rack) – this was part of a set menu which started with a crab chowder soup (delicious) and was followed by a triple layer bourbon milkshake (divine). The staff are all wonderfully helpful, attentive and friendly and we found this to be consistent at every sitting of breakfast and dinner throughout our stay. We never had any issues with language or our order being delivered incorrectly. Service was fast whilst at the same time being very laid back and unobtrusive. Quite a skill.

So our first evening ended perfectly and the following few days passed along very quickly indeed. As each day passed, we relaxed into the quiet Zen like vibe at the Sala which was exactly what we were looking for. Breakfast was always superb – a lovely buffet of fresh fruit and cereal (plus several times a week, some tempting custard filled donuts – don’t pass these by!). You can then choose from a very lengthy hot menu of around a dozen dishes in addition to two specials which change daily. The steak and eggs are lovely as is the English breakfast but our favourites were the Spanish Scramble (scrambled eggs with potato, chorizo, tomato salsa and flour tortilla) and also the New Orleans (croissant, poached eggs and crab covered in hollandaise sauce). Coffee was a little weak on occasion, but fresh. Orange juice – we debated on this – I think it was freshly squeezed but nothing like you would taste at home (kind of a cross between Tropicana and orange squash) – my better half things it was processed in some form. Either way – it tasted very nice. One morning I opted for the traditional Thai Breakfast which consisted of a mild chicken curry with jasmine rice and an assortment of pickles, chillies and vegetables. Wonderful!

After 3 days in the Garden Pool Villa, we asked if we could upgrade to the Sala Pool Villa and managed to barter a really good upgrade rate of about £30 extra a day. My advice – go with the Sala Pool option always. You can see from the photos what the difference is – they are very special indeed. From then, our remaining 8 days were largely spent waking up, going for breakfast, returning to the villa to sunbath. This was usually followed by an afternoon trip to the small but well equipped gym or a few laps of the fun pool. With regards to the pools – the smaller ones in the villas are perfect for cooling off and you can swim in them, but if you venture out to the beach side pools – these are both of extremely high quality. Chlorine levels were good and the 30 metre lap pool is very special indeed. We loved the fun pool which had lots of different sections and varying levels. Both are a stone’s throw away from the beach and there is a cooling breeze throughout the day to cool you off. As for the beach – I’ve read comments and seen some photos posted which show the beach to have some litter which does not get cleaned up. I would comment here that during our stay there was very little evidence of this but given the fact it is a protected beach (due to the turtle laying eggs along the entire 15km stretch), I would imagine that the hotel is not allowed to use any kind of mechanised beech rake facilities and to try and manually keep the beach clean would be a real struggle. There are no sun beds on the beach either for exactly the same reason. We never ventured into the sea – didn’t really need to – and therefore can’t comment about its safety at all.

We spent two days during our stay out sight-seeing but for the most part we did not leave the hotel grounds. We had a Sala signature massage at the Spa on one occasion and thought it was magical – but very pricey. We ate at the hotel restaurant every night and enjoyed every meal. It’s not cheap by any means but the quality of food is really good and despite comments to the contrary, there is a wide selection. The pork chop with mango salsa and the sirloin Massaman curry were both firm favourites! The bar is slightly under staffed and service can be a little slow when they are also servicing the people sat down for dinner in the restaurant, but you just need to make it clear you want another round and you don’t have to wait too long. We spent many evenings on the large round daybeds watching the sun go down – very special indeed.

A couple of other things to mention – all the staff at the hotel are so friendly and helpful – we really had no complaints but I’m that if we did have, they would have been sorted quickly. The mountain bikes for guest use (1.5 hours at a time) are Trek models of pretty good quality. We used them several times and there is a lovely circuit around the lake which is worth doing. There is also a cheap massage hut right next to the hotel – I had a foot scrub which was wonderful and only 400 baht (£8). Recommended. The turndown service each night was a lovely touch – walking into the villa to the smell of scented oil burners was lovely. Oh – and as mentioned before, the whole hotel is spotless. If you wake up early enough around 7am, there are lots of members of staff sweeping leaves up off the communal areas.

So what are the negatives – not much really. Some of the tiling around the pool and bathroom in the villa could do with a really good deep clean, simply to remove some of the staining. The upstairs open air dining above the restaurant is not really setup for use at all and not once did I see anyone use it. I would have been tempted to book this had I seen it in use – it could be very special indeed. They really need to sell this more. I didn’t appreciate not being allowed to use the round daybeds to watch the sunset one evening because they were reserved for a corporate event – sorry that should be provisioned in another section for corporate use only. I’m a guest and expect to use all the facilities open to me … all of the time. Bar staff numbers need increasing as I mentioned earlier. Price of wine needs to come down. Finally we both thought the Thai themed night with fake street market serving a buffet style meal was tacky and lowered the tone of the hotel. It wasn’t really being used by the guests either – get rid of it.

So in summary, we had a fantastic stay at the Sala – it’s not truly a 5 star hotel and I’d place it more 4 star. But the vibe of the place to me is definitely 5 star. We have never been so relaxed. It’s very much geared towards couples who want a private villa experience combined with the service of a hotel. It’s not so good for kids in my view (which is fine by me) as there are no real play facilities to speak of but there were several families who staying whilst we were there who all seemed to having a great time.

Finally, worth a very special mention are Leo and Kiki who work in the main restaurant – whilst all the staff are very friendly and helpful, these two lovely people always went out of their way to make sure you were happy and were always going the extra mile. We are just very sorry that we didn’t get to see them on our last day so that we could thank them both personally. Hopefully they will get to read this.

Anyway after all that, we will definitely be returning to the Sala – WE LOVED IT!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AJWalker
, General Manager at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Signature AJ Walker London UK, thank you very much for your positive and extensive feedback and observations during your vacation to SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, we are glad you thoroughly enjoyed the resorts facilities,cuisine and guest services which all exceeded your expectations. Please feel free to contact us should you wish to visit us again on your next return to Phuket. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Regards, Jon Ashenden General Manager SALA Phuket Resort and Spa.
Adelaide
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We are four mums on a child free break. We were only booked into SALA for one night & then travelled further North where we had booked 7 nights in another resort.
Our one night at SALA was the best experience we had all had in relaxation in a very long time. Our next resort had a lot to live up too!!
Day 2 at our new accommodation we phoned SALA to see if we could return, we all missed the tranquility it had to offer. The staff were wonderful & arranged for us to return in a few days. We spent our last 3 days back 'home' at beautiful SALA!
Everything was wonderful, staff so helpful & friendly, Spa - amazing, food - sensational, from breakfast, to pool snacks to dinner & especially having dinner delivered to our private villa!
If your looking for a party style holiday, this isn't the place for you, but if you need to unwind it certainly ticks all the boxes. The resort offers day trips to all tourist attractions so you can still see the sights & then return 'home' to your piece of heaven.
Would highly recommend for couples, small groups of friends, not so good for school age children, not enough to keep them occupied.
Thankyou SALA, you sent 4 busy mums home relaxed & recharged!

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Deb1111
Dear Signature Deb 1111 - Adelaide, thank you all so much for your very kind and positive feedback during your short and then extended vacation to SALA Phuket Resort and Spa, we are glad you all thoroughly enjoyed the resorts facilities, amazing cuisine and guest services which all exceeded your expectations. Please feel free to contact us should you wish to visit us again on your next return to Phuket. We look forward to welcoming all the 'Mums' back in the near future. Regards, Jon Ashenden General Manager SALA Phuket Resort and Spa.
NY
Reviewed June 17, 2012

We've been here about 2 years ago, but we are planning to go back! even if Phuket is not in your plans, this hotel is paradise.we traveled all around Thailand and Sala would be probably sharing 1st place with mandarin oriental(both hotels have a very different styles). perfect for honeymoon and relaxation, but not great if you want to be sodomized at patong beach :)
look below at some info from our blog.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank risho
SLP_Manager, Manager at SALA Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Dear Risho, Many thanks for remembering us and all of your effort s promoting us on your blog. You’ll be pleased to know, we still have our 24 hour rested waffles with fresh mango and vanilla whipped cream (healthiest meal of the day) on our breakfast menu. Please feel free to contact us should you wish to visit us again on your next return to Phuket. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Best Regards, Jan Hollister EAM Food and Beverage.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Stayed here for 10 days in may 2012.

Great accom, good staff, excellant facility. The only draw back would be if you wnat instant acess to nightlife and the locla "buzz" of Phuket etc. But if you wnat a break frok the hussle and bussle this is a great place to go to. They have regular evening events for those staying and there is a bus shuttle and private car service to and from the city if you want it.

We will go stay again. :)

Room Tip: Most rooms ahere are private pool suites, we didnt hear anyone complain about their room at all.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pipers01
Dear Pipers, Thank you for your support of SALA Phuket by taking your time to share your SALA Phuket experience with others. We are glad you thoroughly enjoyed the resorts facilities again and our guest services exceeded your expectations on your vacation and it was a memorable one. Please feel free to contact us should you wish to visit us again on your next return to Phuket. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.. Best Regards, Jan Hollister EAM Food and Beverage.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 321 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,344 reviews

Been to SALA Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!