“What a great Surprise ”

JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Every other year we spend time in Kelley's time share in Park City. This year we decided on Phuket. This is the nicest Marriott I have ever been to and the prices are very reasonable. The property is spectacular and the beach is beautiful. Our room is very spacious and nicely furnished. We have 5 in the room and it does not feel crowed in any way. Also, the hotel and owner suites are located far from the congestion of Phuket town.

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Tank6841

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Amazing resort situated on a secluded beach ideal for family holiday....Big rooms loaded will all in room amenities with nice view of lawn and beaches....multiple restaurants and swimming pools....lot of activities within the resort premises... Only disadvantage is far-off from the Patong beach and other attractions around Phuket....otherwise an excellent property....

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank NiteshIndia
Charles S, Manager at JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Dear NiteshIndia,

To learn of moments when we have delivered a truly memorable experience to our guests is the best way to start my day! Thank you for your kind comments and we hope that we are able to welcome you back to JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa very soon.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa out did themselves when they exceptionally catered to our family and friends attending the wedding and staying at the resort. Hats Off for a wonderful, stress-free environment, despite the property being fully booked, in high season.

Room Tip: Every room was good. We booked over 70, and none of our guests had any complaints.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DaPunch
Charles S, Manager at JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Dear DaPunch,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience on TripAdvisor. I'm very happy that you enjoyed your time with us. The team will be delighted to know that they have helped in some small way in creating precious memories for you. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Just got back from a week's stay at the Holiday Vacation club in Phuket. The two bed villa was faultless, room service was excellent and the staff at the Marriott went out of the way to make our stay comfortable.
Love the classes at the resort and went everyday for a yoga/pillatte class and even tried the Thai massage introduction which was great fun and the instructor 'Jimmy' was delightful.
Buffet breakfast spread was amazing and again I have to complement the Thai hospitality and all the staff there who were amazing.
Well done marriott a hotel run very well and a lot of attention to detail and customer service.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank angelx2014

Dear Angelx2014,

I agree, the breakfast spread is an all round favorite! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us all on TripAdvisor. I'm very pleased that you had a great time with us and I will be sure to let Jimmy know how happy you were with his service. Jimmy and his colleagues do a wonderful job here. Please hurry back soon.

Reviewed March 5, 2014

I have only great things to say about this hotel!! We stayed here as a family (me, my husband and two young kids aged 2 and 6 months) during the Chinese New Year holiday and had an amazing time. The JW Marriott exceeded all our expectations - it was like they knew what we wanted before we even asked! This property is perfect for families with kids - you literally never have to leave the hotel and you still won't have time to see and experience everything the hotel has to offer. We spent most of our days at the wonderful private beach and at the kids pool. Dinner at Ginja for Thai food was excellent and probably the best Pad Thai I've ever had (and I've been to Thailand 4 times). We were so busy that we never even stepped foot into the kids club, but it looked fabulous from the outside. The breakfast was superb and the service in the hotel in general was fantastic. We were always greeted with a smile and a hello. We would come back to this resort in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank worldtraveler1229
Charles S, Manager at JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear WorldTraveler1229,

Thank you indeed for your generous comments about our Hotel! I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay and even more happy that you will consider returning. I will share your satisfaction with Chef Montree in our Ginja Taste Thai restaurant, he and his team will be very happy to learn that their Phad Thai is your favorite ever! Thank you for your time and I hope to welcome you back again soon to JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Reviewed March 5, 2014

We recently returned from a 2 week stay at the JW Marriott Phuket Resort. We booked a villa, which turned out to be a spacious 2-bedroom apartment--perfect for us (master suite with king bed and huge bathroom) and 2 kids ages 7 and 10, who shared a room with 2 queen beds and their own full bath. All rooms had air conditioning that kept things nice and cool. We loved our small outdoor patio where we ate several breakfasts and dinners. There was also a fully-equiped kitchen, which we did not use except for coffee and re-heating leftovers. The washer/dryer that was in our unit included detergent and made our lives extremely easy.

We have never traveled to Asia, Thailand or Phuket, so the resort was a great combination of western familiarity with eastern influences. On the western side, our picky kids ate a lot of pizza from the Italian restaurant (one of 5 restaurants at the resort). The Thai restaurant was good, but not as good as Sala, the Thai restaurant at the Adaman Resort next door--best meal of our trip. The Japanese "Benihana" inspired restaurant named Kabuki was not as good as Benihana's and extremely expensive. Our favorite restaurant on the property was the Adaman Grill, which offered fresh, local caught fish and seafood with a view of the sea and sunset. As another poster mentioned, food was outrageously expensive and the biggest stress of our trip. We went way over budget keeping our family fed. The resort needs to be more reasonable and sensitive with their pricing in this regard. That said, the food and service was quite good all around. We really liked the morning breakfast buffet at the Marriott Cafe. It had many options from English/American breakfast dishes, Asia and European style breakfasts, fresh juices and smoothies and made to order pancakes and waffles. We were told about the Turtle Market down the road from the resort to buy food. We were warned it was overpriced. But when I finally made it there near the end of our stay, it would have still been cheaper than hotel food every day.

During our stay, the concierge desk was excellent--thank you Malai and Bustara! We booked several speedboat trips to islands for snorkeling and canoeing that we really enjoyed. They use ALP Tours, which is very well run and had newer boats and equipment. We were picked up and returned to our resort in air conditioned vans. Tour guides spoke good English. The best part of these speedboat tours were the actual boat rides to the destinations (Krabi and Phi Phi take about 1 hour to get to--bring dramamine). The scenery is incredible with rock island formations rising out of the water. The water was always warm and calm. Some of the islands we stopped for snorkeling or beach time were way too crowded and ruined the experience for me (i.e James Bond island was the WORST! and it was difficult to maneuveur the rock stairs to get to the other side of the island to see the famour rock formation--ruined by a souvenir market). That said, the other 2 stops on that tour were more peaceful as we canoed around different islands (actually, a guide canoed and we sat and enjoyed the trip and took photos). Two other tours we took were a Phuket Island tour in a van that gave us the lay of the land. We visited Big Buddha, a temple, a cashew factory and made souvenir stop, which was good because I was able to get that out of the way since we didn't rent a car to venture out on our own). The 1/2 day morning Siam Elephant Safari Tour was the best! It's an eco-tour with well maintained elephants that we rode through a lush forest with views of the Adaman Sea. All these tours, BTW, included lunch.

I also took a cooking class at JW Marriott through their Ginja restaurant cooking school. It included a visit to a local market and then we prepared and ate lunch. I highly recommend this experience and Chef Chai was great!

When we weren't spending our days on the tours (most were full days), we enjoyed relaxing and playing at the 3 large pools, which had plenty of comfortable chairs and attended to by a very solicitous wait staff that brought over iced water without asking and delivered lunch and drink orders quickly. The kids loved the tightrope activity they had (extra cost) and spent time in the Kids Club, which I have to say was very clean and safe. My son and his new friends spent an entire day in the club playing video games, watching movies and we were able to order lunch delivered to them. My husband took advantage of hotel's clean and updated health club that always had several trainers on site to explain the equipment, answer questions or offer free cold bottled water and icy lemongrass scented washcloths. I took a tower folding class that was very entertaning. Other activities we ran out of time for included bike rides (they have bikes and helmets to use for free), morning yoga and trapeze.

The Marriott sits on its own stretch of beach that is very private with only a few guests using it. It is a narrow beach and there is a steep drop in the ocean. When there are waves it can be a bit rough. Although there are no chairs, you can bring your beach towel to sit and watch the amazing sunsets you'll see every evening. There are free boogie boards, a catamaran, wind surfers and kayaks to use in the water. The pool bar has 1/2 priced drinks at happy hour that you can take to the beach for the sunset.

Someone addressed the distance or remoteness of the hotel. I have to say that I appreciated being removed from the hustle and bustle of more popular towns on the island, like Phuket Town and Karon. These destinations were about 1 hour away in a car. Traffic wasn't too bad, but there were busy times of the day, or commuter hours. We took the hotel shuttle to Phuket Town on Sunday afternoon and ended up getting a taxi escort to the famous night market, where many locals go for shopping. It was a huge market (we got through about 1/3) where I picked up more souvenirs. There were also food stalls, which we skipped but had plenty of business. I'll be honest, it was such a crowded, hectic experience that it was more stressful than enjoyable for us and we were glad to return to the refuge of the Marriott. I feel we got away enough to really appreciate the island with our tours and the night market adventure. We did meet several travellers who rented cars or scooters and ventured out for dinners near the hotel (but not walking distance) or further south near Phuket Town. We weren't ready for that.

A few final comments:

--You can change money at the reception desk.
--You can't drink the tap water, but the cleaning staff provides free bottled water each day.
--There are no movies on demand on the TV. The living room TV had a DVD player and the resort had some DVDs to lend, but it was a lousy selection. Our kids ended up watching the videos they brought for the airplane. So bring your own DVDs.
--Use the free hotel transportation to the nearby Turtle Market and pick up some bread, butter, eggs and juice so you can skip expensive daily restaurant breakfast.

Overall, a great, easy destination for families. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Tina F

Dear Tina F,

I really appreciate your balanced feedback of our Hotel and I'm especially pleased that you and your family had a great time. It really sounds like you enjoyed all of what Phuket has to offer and went home very happy! Your feedback has already been shared with the management team here and it will help us to improve. We take your comments about the cost of dining very seriously. Many families return to see us each year and we understand mealtimes can be a challenge to keep everyone happy so now kids can eat free at any of the All You Can Eat International Buffets (breakfast & dinner) that are offered in Marriott Cafe & Zest restaurants giving extra value & choice. Marriott also offers a Club Marriott card which gives the card holder 50% off meals when dining in any Marriott Hotel accross the Asia Pacific region amoung other benefits and seasonal promotions. Thank you for recognising by name the associates who positively impacted your stay Malai, Bustara & Chef Chai, they are and will continue to be great ambassadors of our Hotel - we are thankful to have them as part of the JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa team. I hope that we see you again one day. Thank you for sharing your experiences and we are all happy that on balance you too were happy with your stay.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

We just came back from this resort as a family (2 kids aged 2 and 9 months). The resort is close to the Phuket airport (20 mins by cab) and is situated away from the husstle and busstle of Phuket. If you're looking for just a relaxation resort, this is the place. The resort pools are great, especially the kids pool and hosts many great restaurants. The beach is just ok. Not your typical Carribean style beach. There are no beach chairs along the beach which is what we're used to in Cuba, Dominican etc. We had two minor issues at the hotel, first being that the play pens the hotel provided were filthy (mesh was stained) so we had to call the front desk a few times to to avail. I had to personally go to the front and ask for the manager and she said that she would personally go up with house keeping to ensure that they were changed. When we got back to our room they were replaced with cleaner play pens. Our other issue was for check out. I had asked for a late check out for both adjoining rooms (2pm) and was told it was ok when we checked in. When I came back the day of check out, the front counter lady said that she would only be able to accommodate this request with one room. She said they needed to clean the other room so people like to have the adjoining rooms. I explained to her that if someone wanted the adjoining rooms, they couldn't have them regardless until after 2pm because I would still be occupying one of them. She clearly didn't understand the concept and wouldn't change this. I explained to her that I was a platinum member and that a part of the perks is to get late check outs. She was quick to explain that this was only based on availability. Let me assure you, this hotel was not packed during our stay so I wasn't sure where she got the availability excuse from. I left the front as I didn't want to escalate the issue, but I returned right after breakfast and spoke with a manager who knew about our issue and had no problems changing the check out times for both rooms. It appears that the general staff cannot make decisions on their own without a manager holding their hand. Nonetheless, this is a nice resort, clean and kid friendly. One other complaint I have is the food prices. I understand this is a resort and most resorts charge higher prices, but I believe they're way overboard with their prices. We're in South East Asia, yet they're charging more for food than you'd pay in a rest in the west. Being away from most places, you're basically forced to drink and eat there and pay the high prices. Like I said, the pool area is great and they have staff walk around and fill your plastic cups with water and bring you fruits (no charge). The rooms are very nice and the breakfast is amazing. A lot of buffet options and great food.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Mike S

Dear Mike S,

We appreciate the time taken to feedback your thoughts about our Hotel. Your comments are valuable to us and will undoubtedly assist us to improve the experience of our guests. Although I'm happy that you enjoyed your time with us I am disappointed that there were elements of your stay that gave you cause for concern. I apologise for any inconvenience caused. Everything we do at JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa is done with you in mind and we are happy to take up that challenge each day. We hope that allowing children to eat free at our International Buffets at breakfast & dinner will help families to make the most of their dining options at the resort in the future and offer greater value. Thank you for choosing Marriott. We are thankful for your support and look forward to welcoming you back to Phuket soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
Phuket Marriott Resort and Spa, Nai Yang Beach
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
#3 of 36 in Choeng Thale

Been to JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!