“Excellent resort”

JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed 3 nights in the Royal suite. Wonderful experience.... Gr8 views n ambience. Bit out of bounds as it is far away from the main city but still the distance is worth trAvelling . Food was average ... Service was excellent . Will come again...

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Shabbirjeddah

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed in JW together with my family. We had quite short stay here, which was good.

Let's get the pros and cons

The pros
-Service was constantly on good and expected Marriott level
-Swimming pools were ok & they were plenty enough
-Long breakfast hours
-Kids pool did have a lifeguard (beach none)
-Beach was clean & deserted

The cons
-Mold smell was present in several locations, also some other odd smells were around (very unpleasant)
-It is very big resort scattered on large area = you need to walk a lot (~ older folks etc.)
-Resort completely lacked Thai feeling, just simply no soul (you could be anywhere indeed)
-Our room was expired, i.e. too much signs of wear and tear
-This was the most tired looking Marriott I have seen so far (I will add some pictures)
-I almost felt that as next step they will either go for full renovation or rebrand themselves
-Actual kids club was closed
-Their breakfast was below average (I got by far the worst omelet for years, they must have mixed something like flour to eggs, also e.g. pork sausages were rather bad – note that service itself was ok)
-They have really fast birds outside stealing food from plates
-Our balcony was very small and the view from our room pretty dull
-Ground floor terraces looked rather bad
-Gardens are messy without any style
-Check-out was very slow
-Beach at Marriot was red flagged during my stay, but yellow flagged in nearby resort where I also stayed & did swim in sea several times. Beach was swimmable for good swimmers, I’d say yellow flag was appropriate (ok they have no life guards on beach)
-Beach is totally unfit for children, it deepens very fast & it is difficult to get back on shore (could not let our kid to get in water despite several requests)

To sum it up: Software was ok, but hardware i.e. infrastructure had gone downhill. If you are not expecting too much & get super good deal (travel almost on budget), perhaps then you can have a try. Remember there is not much else nearby the hotel. Excluding Turtle Mart shopping center with couple of dining options (Pub is better vs. Coffee Club, and both fit children’s eating habits…). They do have also a supermarket & some cloth shops. I would not come again. As general advice do stay away from this "2,5 star" resort.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Abramis
Reviewed October 14, 2012

JW Phuket is a really beautiful hotel. Really nice place to chill out. The Japanese restaurant was our favorite. The beach was nice but the seas were really rough. Also signs had jellyfish warnings. Very far fom any restaurants or activities. In my opinion 3-4 days stay is about ideal.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have stay 4 days in October at this hotel. The hotel is fantastic, except the rooms and bars.
The rooms have a incredible smell. Seems windows are never opened and air never renewed. Usual this kind of rooms have insect screens, to allow to have windows opened. Seems also air conditioner is not cleaned. So, it's impossible to stay in room and, for people with alergies, it's terrible.
Bars are very nice, with a fantastic service. But prices are too high and quantity very, very smalls. For example, if you ask for a whisky, they serve you half of whisky (comparing with usual portions).
swimming pools are fantastic. spa is very expensive. better to do massages at the beach.
another negative point is the beach. with waves allk the time and red flag. impossible to swim.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank cristovao
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Whilst at the back end of a business trip I had my family join me for our anniversary and so we decided to splurge and enjoy the Ocean Front 2 bedroom Pool Villa for a night.

Check in was rather slow and there apears to be no advanatge of being a Marriott Gold or Platinum member for faster check in which other brands have. To be fair they may have been trialling a new system so that could have held things up.

The resort itself is very Marriott in its appearance, quite beautiful, clean and situated on Mai Khao Beach. The beach itself is not idel for swiming so for those looking for an ocean dip this (and The Rennaisance down the road) is not for you. The site does however more than make up for it with their great swimming pools.

The 2 bedroom villa was magnficant and the "butler" Khun Rose was truly exceptional. The experience was akin to having your own private hotel by the sea. The living room building was huge and the 2 seperate bedroom buildings very comfortable with outstanding bathrooms. The pool as excellent. All in all a truly wonderful space.

There were a couple of areas to improve however. At a USD$ 1000 a night I would expect that there be a proper coffee machine available and not an old fashion drip version. The TV is the living area was small and on top of a large piece of furniture which meant to had to look up to watch. Finally the two bedroom TVs were 10 year old Cathode Ray Tube types!? It just seems silly to have such a magnificant space and down grade it by some cheap options. Reallly strange.

All in all it is a very expensive option and would we ever come back again and splurge if we hd the money......in a heart beat. I travel all over the Region and spend half my life in hotels and this was by far the most luxurious and wonderful resort experience.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Aust1900
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My family - 6 Adults, 1 teenager, 1 child 2yrs recently stayed for 9 nights at this wonderful hotel primarily to celebrate my daughter's 30th birthday. We had the most wonderful time from start to finish and were all very sad to leave which is surely the ultimate acid test for a fabulous holiday!
The hotel is a very large property and is quietly tucked away from the hustle and bustle and crazy nightlife of other areas. This influenced our choice as we were looking for a relaxing, fun holiday which would have something to appeal to everyone in our group. This hotel delivered on every level.
The property is beautifully maintained with the three large pools and gardens meticulously kept. The hotel has been exquisitely styled throughout with beautiful touches everywhere, the touches of turqouise colour and slightly aged patinas everywhere really appealed to me.
We had a 1 Bedroom Oceanfront Suite on the top floor which was really lovely. Great view, plenty of space including a lovely lounge that converted to a sofa bed for my teenage daughter. Masses of space for the three of us. The rest of the family had 2 Deluxe Oceanview Rooms on the same floor. Again, these were spacious, well styled with nice views.
Overall, we found the food and beverage fabulous in all of the different restaurants and bars. (Pretty sure we tried them all).People have mentioned in other reviews that they have found it expensive but I feel you are spoilt for choice. Yes, you can go upmarket and have great meals to either the Andaman Grill or Ginja (signature Thai restaurant) and yes you will pay more to eat here than elsewhere in the resort but there are many cheaper options if you are wanting to spend less. We ate at Siam Deli on a few nights, here it is very reasonably priced with an extensive menu with both Thai and Western offerings. Great value! We also ate at Cucina where we had pizza, fantastic! Great bar food with cocktails in the lobbly bar.
The breakfast buffet which was included in our rate was phenomenal, possibly best I've seen. So many wonderful fresh, tasty options including stations cooking eggs, pancakes, waffles, noodle bar etc cooking to order.
We visited local restaurant Kin Dee which was also great, authentic Thai food, fabulous family run business. Very reasonable, this is a short taxi ride from the hotel.
We rented a local taxi van for a day for our family complete with baby seat. We toured the island stopping at different places we wanted to see. This was very reasonably priced. A brand new, very clean air conditioned van that seated us all very comfortably. Good driver, who was very charming and accommodating.
Everyone has mentioned the baby elephants that visit daily but it was still a jaw dropping moment for me the first time I saw them from the pool. Magic for everyone.
i enjoyed a massage daily with the local ladies by the beach. Really great massage for 400 Baht. Fantastic.
I could go on and on about this hotel, we really loved it. We found the staff so lovely - gentle and kind, service was wonderful. Any little hiccoughs that occasionally happen are only due to the language barrier. Be patient if someone is not immediately understanding you, you will sort it out!
We definitely will go back!! Loved it!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lindyvee
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Nice hotel, nice pool, great people. I commend Lilly for the beautiful decorating of my room, making our 1st wedding anniversary a very special one. Thank you Jum and Nawin for their kind hospitality! The mangoes were great!

Room Tip: You can ask for the lower level rooms that come with your own private pool.