“Great Golf and Family Experience”

Marriott's Phuket Beach Club
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed February 17, 2008

In general hotels are not geared up to families traveling with children (in our case 7 and 11). This was the best family holiday we have because the two bedroom apartments give you the space that adjoining hotel rooms certainly do not. When you finish whatever you decide to do this accommodation has the feel of coming home rather than trekking back to the "hotel room".

My wife and I played golf with our eldest son while our younger son was very happy at the Kids Club. With regards to golf on the island we played all 8 courses and I would rank them as follows:

1. Red Mountain
2. Blue Canyon (Canyon Course)
3. Mission Hills
4. Blue Canyon (Lakes Course)
5. Phuket Country Club
6. Loch Palm
7. Laguna
8. Thai Muang

Blue Canyon hosts the big events but do not miss Red Mountain. It is spectacular but can never host a Professional tournament because of the distance between each hole (buggies only). Blue Canyon and Mission Hills are only 10 mins from the hotel and the maximum distance you have to travel is 40 mins. We booked the golf through www.phuketgolfcourse.com which is a well laid out site and the service was very efficient. If you have limited time I would stick to the top three.

Back to the Hotel! It is located to the North of the Island and approximately 45 mins form the town. This did not inconvenience us but if you are seeking the party atmosphere you may be better suited to hotels closer to town.

The Italian restaurant is excellent and not extortionately priced. However the sushi restaurant is a rip off for what they offer. Wine is very very expensive so one piece of advice is to bring as much wine as you can with you. They charge a small corkage fee. One night we drank Mersault for less than the restaurant was charging for the house wine.

As some other reviewers have mentioned a trip to Tesco's in town is well worth while for breakfast or lunch items. The deli in the hotel is very limited and expensive (they also sell wine there but again it is highly priced for average plonk).

Overall we really enjoyed it and are returning again this year.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,167)

Reviewed February 9, 2008

My wife and I just returned from a week stay at the Phuket Marriott Beach Club. The villas were exceptionally clean and spacious. Unlike other timeshares we have stayed in, the Beach Club villas are cleaned daily at no extra cost. The staff was very friendly. Located off-site on the beach (to the right of the Marriott as you are facing the sea) you'll find the Phuket Oasis Bar. I visited the Oasis last year and really enjoyed it. Try the sunset fish barbecue. Prepared by Rashad, it was an incredible meal. Beer at the Oasis costs less than anywhere else in the area. If you are walking on the beach near the Oasis and you hear a voice inviting you to the bar, that's Thieu. Don't be shy, stop by and visit. These guys are genuinely friendly and are not pushy.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Coleman97
Reviewed January 17, 2008

About 1 hour drive from Phuket town - probably a good thing seeing as its ruined by tourists wanting what they can get at home! The hotel itself is truly magnificent - service, staff, grounds are impeccable and I could not find any faults. We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite - perfect for a family or group of friends.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with friends
4  Thank KyM184
Reviewed January 5, 2008

Overall, a beautiful, expansive property that is very family friendly. Well appointed, fairly luxe and generously sized rooms with large well equipped kitchens. Excellent grounds and beach access, though the beach here is not very wide and is a bit steep. Excellent children's activity pavilion and multiple pools. Very nice but expensive spa. Nice tennis courts and yoga pavilion. Restaurant selection is okay but menus are not as extensive as I would have liked. Decent market/deli in the resort.

One negative: location - this hotel is north of the airport and far from Surin, Patong etc so if you get tired of the resort's restaurants, it take time and money to get out of the resort to Phuket's other restaurants. If you plan to use the in-room kitchen, I suggest you go to town and load up on groceries before checking into the hotel - once you check in, the resort is quite far from the decent, large grocery stores.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Alfbo
Reviewed January 1, 2008

If you feel Thailand is overrated , then a stay here is a must . Absolutely fabulous property, no questions.

I loved :

The lobby looking out to the Reflection pool , which in turn is perched bird -like on the sea. It's Something . Lots of sofa beds ,cushions and the sound of the sea, add up to a lazy book read and siesta . The Reflection and Lotus pools fascinated me , being as they are on two levels. I would love to shake hands with the architect .

They have three separate swimming pools - each very different and spectacular . As an Indian with no desire to bake myself even browner , I tried swimming in the warm waters late evening - 6 ish . With the sun setting in the orange sea ahead of you , the moon rising behind you , and the torches flaming up with real fire in the pools in between , its a visual treat . A must do ,

The 2 bedroom villa was beautiful, secluded , green and functional . The kitchenette and the bathrooms were really great . And I think the best pillows I have slept on .

Mandara Spa - exquisite . The Thai massage was good - once I got over my initiial shock of having the slim young masseuse use her knees and elbows to pummel my back and calves ! If you are a couple ask for the couples room, in case its available. Its a fantastic series of rooms and a great view. The Spa Consultants are knowledgable but may not be very reliable in case you have a bad back like I did .

Peeves:

Food is expensive, and even a bag of chips at the Deli cost 70 baht! Tip - bring along a small bag of salt , herbs , muesli from home , and pick up eggs (40 baht for 6 eggs ) and bread (90 baht) , milk and butter (140 bahts each ) at the Deli . They have a 50% off on their specialty bread at 9 pm - 9 pm the next day , so its a great time to make dinner if you want to . We had Christmas brunch at the Cafe and it was a lovely spread , with some teriffic smoothies , and great turkey and glazed ham.

Getting to town (Patpong , Phuket Town ) or anywhere else is tough , so plan for at least half a day in you need to . We went to Phuket town , and except for Natural Restaurant which served the most marvelous Thai Food , found it quite dull. I would suggest that there is more than enough to do in the resort . They have excellent weekly activities, and between pottery and yoga, you would find lots to do , if you are the action types. Me - I just kept looking for scenic spots to chill and catch up on my book . And I was not disappointed .

I would go back . Anytime.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank BangaloreTrips
Reviewed December 20, 2007

We heard and read about the exhorbitant prices at the resort, and the disadvantaged location. So much so that we actually went to the resort with a bad feeling in our stomachs, thinking that we had made a bad holiday decision...Nevertheless, what lay waiting for us came as a surprise.

We booked to stay at the 2 bedroom apartments, which they called villas. Ok, these weren't exactly Villas - but they were spacious apartments, with housekeeping and JW Marriot standard services. We could not complain. Food prices were like those we are used to at home in Singapore. So don't expect to pay Thai prices for food. However, the quality was not as bad and the prices were not as exhorbitant as many of the reviews I've read on the Tripadvisor.

Try out the Cucina restaurant. Its an italian restaurant. Their service is impeccable and the food reminded us of our days back in Italy, Austria and Germany (we are an Austrian-Singaporean family).

My 4-year old daughter loved the Kids Club, which had daily programmes for kids that really enticed her into making new friends and trying out the new "tasks" on the programme. In particular, she loved painting her own batik T-shirt! I loved the adult programmes, especially the morning yoga and pilates sessions! My 1-year old loved the toys (Plan Toys) at the kids club. Besides the kids club, the kids loved the daily visits from the resident elephants : Ning Nong and Jumbo. My 4-year old even took a swim with Ning Nong and was given a shower in the sea by Ning Nong!!! Both kids loved the swimming pools, and my 4-year old adored the free ice-lollies she got everyday at the pool! Sailing boats, kayaks, wakeboards were rented out without charge at the beach and my husband went sailing everyday during our 8-day stay, sometimes taking my 4-year old and myself out sailing with him too.

The Mandara Spa is on the expensive end. The service, as usual as with all other establishments at the resort, is impeccable. The Spa also offered spa services and treatments that were not usually on the "menu" of other spa resorts. Hence, I simply couldn't resist trying out those spa treatments which were "un-usual".

OK, location is not a hit for the resort. Its rather far from "civilisation". To get to Phuket Town, you would certainly need to hire a taxi. And if you'd like to cook at your apartments sometimes, it'd be wise to make a big shopping trip to Tesco Lotus (near Phuket Town). The round-trip from the hotel cost about THB1200 (whereby the driver would wait for you while you shopped). Owing to the inconvenient location, we did not undertake too many excusions - that's one of our excuse for not leaving the resort, since we were so pampered there. And when we did, we took our 4-year old for an elephant trekking ride with Siam Safari, which could be booked from the hotel. Of course, there were other tours to be booked from the hotel, we just didn't do any of those which took a day, since we had our little one with us and I was not keen to leave the 1-year old for more than half a day alone at the resort with the baby-sitter.

The beach was a dream : no hawkers trying to hassle you into buying their souveniers, drinks, massages, foods etc. The beach was also clean and secure (security guards on duty). And the beach boasts of Turtle visits too. I was told that the sea there is a little rough for swimming. But it was not too bad during our stay there. We managed to swim with our 4-year old, who can swim without floats etc.

If your intention is to let yourself be pampered, totally relax yourself, do nothing and be spoiled rotten. Go to the Marriott Phuket Beach Club.

However, beware, you would be "required" to sit in a time-share sales pitch session (on buying a time-share at the Marriot Vacation Club). But the time you sit there is compensated by gifts they offer - like we took a 1-hour Thai Massage voucher for the couple at the Mandara Spa which we enjoyed so much that it started me going to the Spa everyday after that (of course you end up spending tonnes subsequently!!!).

All in all, we had a great time at the Marriott Phuket Beach Club. If you haven't been to Phuket and want to do sight-seeing, don't stay there. If you are not into sight-seeing but rather enjoying quality family time, and being spoilt. Go there.

Will we be going back there? Well, we actually prefer Bali to Phuket. And we will certainly be spending more time in Bali than Phuket. That is probably the reason why we weren't talked into investing in the Time Share at the Beach Club in the first place. Maybe sometime in the next few years down the road, we may visit again...But if I was in Phuket, I would stay at the Marriott Phuket Beach Club again...

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
6  Thank ChestnutAeroFaith
Reviewed December 7, 2007

The beds are comfortable, the kitchenette is very well equipped, with even a rice cooker and blender. The beach is lovely, clean and the kids had a great time playing on it. It isn't so crowded that you feel you might be disturbing the peace if you happen to have enthusiastic kids.
It was lovely to swim in the sea, although the waves can get quite rough.
The main problem for us is that the hotel is quite far away from city centre and Patong. So not much choices in terms of restaurants and shopping. It's advisable to stock up on groceries from the supermarket for breakfast and perhaps lunch, as food at the hotel's restaurants is rather costly and not really worth the price you've to pay.
One main highlight for the kids is that ice lollies are made and served free of charge by the poolside between noon and 3pm every day. The service by the pool is exceptional: Cold water and cool atomizers brought to your side and nice clean towels readily available. We can't wait to go back again.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
The Chava Resort
The Chava Resort
#2 of 36 in Choeng Thale
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to Marriott's Phuket Beach Club? Share your experiences!