“4 Days at Mai Khao”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Mai Khao
Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan
“4 Days at Mai Khao”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

So when we arrived, the hotel was pretty close to the airport. Though its located on the quiter side of Phuket but the resort was just wonderful. Nice cozy rooms, lovely swimming pools, lush greenery everywhere, and the beach just upfront. It a very relaxing place if you're not the adventurous type. highly recommended. But if you want to be closer to the city life, try out The Holiday Inn located in the central Patong Area

Room Tip: There are rooms with their own private pools. Go for that!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Chris B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Inzer_M,

Thank you for your lovely reviews about us following your recent stay.

We are glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us as we offer our guests a real relaxing getaway from bustling life with all the touches of refreshing modern rooms, stunning pool, tropical gardens, direct access to Mai Khao beach and especially our warm Thai hospitality.

The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back with us in the near future

"Book your next stay with us to get a chance to win a free accommodation voucher. Check out our Stay Lucky package"

Chris Batterham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Super family hotel in quiet area in Phuket. Stayed here for 4 nights with my wife and 4 kids (8 months, 5, 9 and 11). Had wonderful family suite with separate bed- and bathroom for the kids. The kids enjoyed the kids-club and the pool area. The hotel staff is very friendly, even the resort manager came personally to ask if 'all was as expected' and if 'there was anything we still needed to have eg' . The hotel has 2 good restaurants on the premisses and in the afternoon @thepool free snacks during happy hour from 11am-4pm!

There is a nice fitness area, all well equipped. As a Holiday Inn premium member there are some additional benefits, on top of the hotel's package deals offered.

Overall i will highly recommend this hotel to the ones looking for a relaxed holiday @thebeach (wonderful view on the beach/sea when in the pool!). really enjoyed our stay! Thank you dear staff! a hotel to encounter the smile and hospitality of Thailand!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Fth2013,

It's always great to read such a beautiful comment about us and thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experience in our peaceful paradise.

We are very happy that your family have enjoyed your stay with our warm Thai hospitality and the Pool event which is happening during this summer period. Especially our little guests have had great time in our Kid's Club and the swimming pool.

We hope to have your family back with us on your next trip to Phuket.

Maple, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

My sister and I stayed here for two nights. We chose it because it was pretty close the airport. It should cost 600 thb to get to the hotel by taxi. We bargained down to 550. The hotel is in the middle of no where. No restaurants really around the hotel that are in walking distance, you would have to take a taxi or walk a bit if you are ok with that. The hotel does have two restaurants but the prices are usual hotel pricing, but affordable. The hotel is right on the beach, which is beautiful and was clean and not crowded at all. They also had a very nice pool. The only complaint about the hotel I would have is that there were so many bugs everywhere! They had huge cockroaches that were flying around, as well as dragon flies and lizards all over the walls. Besides those minor issues, everything else was really good. Staff were very nice and extremely helpful. They got us a taxi to batong street, which was about an hour drive. Which I would definitely recommend visiting.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank lism28
Chris B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Dear Lism28,

Thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experience and feedback with us.

We are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay in our peaceful paradise and you loved our beautiful Mai Khao Beach and stunning swimming pool.

I have discussed with our Executive Housekeeper as we have an extensive pest control program and are always trying to minimize the flying bugs that can sometimes appear at the Resort during this season.

Despite this, the team & I hope to welcome you back with us in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

Firstly the location is very isolated.

Booked 4 nights at this hotel online for a very cheap UK£39/night and for that price I guess it was OK overall. I emailed the hotel to advise that we would arrive late and that we wanted a quiet hotel room. Arrived at midnight and two different rooms had been allocated to us - I was exhausted after a 20 hour journey and the night staff just gave me one of the keys. We were offered a welcome drink and the opportunity to pre-pay for a breakfast package at Baht 375++ per day. I told them I would just sign for breakfast as and when as I could not see the point in paying in advance when we may not wake up the following morning. We later found out that it is Baht 495 if you sign for it daily but the hotel allowed us to pay at reception as they hadn't explained this. We were escorted to the third floor of block 8 next to reception. Room 8314 was a 3rd floor twin bedded room, clean, modern and well fitted out. There was a locked connecting door. There was a balcony with seating for two. The large rainwater style shower did not give enough water to be affective and might as well have been old style.

It became apparent in the morning that the hotel was about 10% full only. The infinity pool area is very pleasant and the lack of guests made it very private. The pool itself has a kids area (where all the sunbeds are located) and a deeper adult area. It is a good size. Pool towels are readily available. Sunbeds are reasonably comfortable and made of rattan. There is a bar which I used once and an Italian Restauarant (yes I did say Italian) which needless to say we did not use. To the sea end of the pool is a funny large foot pool only a few centimetres deep with some sun beds spread across the front. This area has largely been been abandoned and is not cleaned daily. The beach is not suitable for swimming in June. The beach sunbeds are not all as nice as the pool ones. They are also not cleaned as well and the double bed style sunbeds are showing their age. There is a local massage centre (500 baht), a local bar and a small clothes shop at the beach. The massage is expensive for Thailand but good nonetheless. The owner of the bar is a real character - blind in one eye and with loose teeth from boxing he wlll happily chat in poor english or very poor russian and his drinks are cheap.

On the second night it became apparent that we had been given a room in an area generally occupied by Air Berlin crew. These people do not want to get onto Thai time as they are in Phuket for 2 nights only - so they dont sleep. The hotel MUST know this surely! The first night of noise was the night Germany beat USA in the World Cup - they were quickly forgiven as I am not unreasonable. The second night of noise was really annoying - banging above until after 3am and music through the connecting door until I finally nodded off around 3.30am. The hotel gave me 20% off my food bill as compensation which was Baht 250 (yes that is only UK£5). At this point I had lost the will to live so I just accepted - it is not adequate though!

The foodbill was so low because of the simply stunning "Mama's Restaurant" on the road to the hotel. See my review and eat there as much as you can - you will rarely tasteThai food that good.

Breakfast was average although at 0630am whe they opened they had not finished setting up.

So all in all a mixed bag of a hotel with Mamas being the highlight. I certainly wont be back (see my recent reviews of the Renaissance Hotel a few hundred meters away or Outrigger Laguna for better alternatives) as I will pay a little more money for attention to detail.

Room Tip: Keep away from the Air Berlin staff
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Michael P,

Thank you for staying with us and taking your time to write about us regarding your recent stay. We trust you had a safe and comfortable trip back home.

It is regrettable to hear how disappointing your stay was. We apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I would like to understand more about your feedback and it would be very much appreciated if you can contact me at info@holidayinnmaikhao.com.

I'm looking forward to discussing with you about your experience in our resort and we hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to exceed your expectations.

New Delhi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

I checked in yesterday with my family (2 kids) for 6 nights. From the moment we checked in staff was very helpful and despite language issues, was always ready to assist and help in any manner they could.

The most important aspect of their approach is the genuineness and kindness they reflect in their attitude. You always know that they are making their best effort and even if they are not able to address issue on hand, you know that they want to. I am sure their Manager has a huge role to play in this culture.

Many hotels and their manager can learn a thing or two from this.

My kids were finding it difficult to make food choices from the menu and on day 1 hardly ate anything apart from potato wedges. I was even considering shifting to some other hotel and then I met Hotel Manager - Mr. Harinder. At what a pleasant experience it was !!!

He immediately assured me that he will take care of this and will consult chef to develop a special menu for our kids (I think only Head of State (s) are offered such kind of presidential treatment).

Chef Luis met us today morning and worked out special menu for kids to suit their taste. I am not seen any hotel do this.

The other important thing which I noticed and to me is a great management lesson was that all staff members were aware of our requirement (or problem as I would have seen it had I been in their shoes!!) and were making all effort to make us comfortable. It was obvious that it was discussed in the morning staff meeting and all staff members were aligned to the task on hand and working in tandem to make guest comfortable.

It is such a hear warming experience and I am already thinking of planning one more trip to this resort with a larger group of family and friends.

A bid THANK YOU to all staff members and management to making us feel so special.

Thanks a Lot

Room Tip: Hotel offers rooms with pool and for families kid rooms
1 Thank RajivPuri
Chris B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear RajivPuri,

It's a great pleasure to read such a nice comment about us and we are happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and the service we offer.

Your comment with regards the great customer service of our team members is appreciated and I will be sure to share with our team. We hope to see your family back with us soon.

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights, booked the Pool access suite.

Check in was smooth, welcome drinks and cold towels were offered.A buggy was called and we were taken to our room which was not far from the reception.

The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, and the awesome pool access.That was really the highlight of the whole trip.Having a pool right at your doorstep was just so exciting for my daughter.I could watch over her in the comfort of my room and not sit in the hot sweltering sun.My daughter could swim for hours and still come in the room for a snack or rest.We had a baby cot for my toddler and the room was still spacious.

Food was ok.breakfast had a good spread.They are not halal(there were some pork items).We ordered room service a few nights.Other days we ate from mama restraunt.but we always ordered take away as the place has too many flies.and you can't eat in peace.eating in the room was far more peaceful.the food was awesome.authentic fish dishes, tom yum, fried rice, basil chicken.. you've got to try it at least once! Yummy!!!

Mai Khao is a very quiet place nothing much happening.But we wanted some peace and quiet anyway. As we have stayed at Holiday Inn Patong this was a refreshing change.
There are shuttle services to Patong at a charge.Please check with reception on the charges.
We went to Patong.. just to visit Jungceylon and walk around the town.We left Mai Khao at 9am and reached Patong at around 10.20am..this is without a jam.We got the 4:30pm shuttle back but was an extremely long journey with massive jams.We reached Mai Khao at 7pm plus.
So my suggestion if you want nightlife, shopping and the beach please stay at the Holiday Inn Patong.
If you want absolute peace and tranquillity please stay at the Holiday Inn Mai Khao.

The kids club is ok.My eldest spent some time there.Watching dvds and doing craft.Good for them to pass time.

Wifi was excellent!! Its so far the best I have come across! It was so useful to have when the kids were bored of the 2 kids channel on tv.just used our ipad to keep them entertained.

The beach is not for swimming.. very high waves and the sea is choppy.Just get the pool access room and laze there the whole day.

There were 2 power failures when we were there.I know its common but this was very annoying as I had a sick toddler with me during the last night..it took them way to long to get it back on!

Check out was smooth too.Our pick up came on time.

We are already planning when to return to the resort.

Overall, stay here if you just want to bum around eat and sleep.Basically just forget the fast paced lives we live and chill.Enjoy!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear ShashaFierce,

Thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experience with us. We are pleased to note that you have enjoyed your Pool access room which is a highlight at our peaceful resort and your further comment with regard the efficiency of check in and check out are well received.

We are looking forward to your next memorable stay with us.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

My family and I had a wonderful time in Phuket and we were pleased to have spent 5 nights in a Kids Suite on the top floor. The room was configured to include a separate room for the kids, furnished with a set of bunk beds, a wall-installed LCD display, a Playstation console with two handheld controls, two foam-filled "bean-bag" cushions and a clothe shelf in the form of a tree. Our kids found the room and beds comfy and cosy. The kids' room and our king-size bed is separated by a generous bathroom which includes a bathtub, shower area (with handheld shower and rain shower), wash basin and a good size mirror. The closet provided is also of generous proportions. A couch (which sits 4 persons) is placed at the foot of our bed. There is also a small coffee table, sufficient for two to dine on when room service is delivered. On the wall facing the couch and the bed is another LCD display. This means the kids get to watch their programs while my wife and I get to watch ours. Cable TV is available 24/7 - the selection included news, movie, kids and entertainment channels. The suite comes with a generous balcony overlooking the garden, with view of the Tea Tree Spa village. The toilet is detached from the bathroom, which is an advantage - although it would be great if a basin could have been installed there for washing of hands. The size of the suite is generous and spacious enough for the 4 of us. A downside to the room - it was infested with ants. They were everywhere and we have had to do the necessary "extermination" on a daily basis. We ate at J's most of the time and the food quality is good. Menu variety is adequate and the service staff were prompt and friendly. Ambience of the restaurant is bright and pleasant but more could be done about the many houseflies. DVDs and books can be borrowed at no additional cost from the reception area. Bicycles are also available for borrowing. There is a pool table and a little shop at the reception area which sells drinks, snacks, souvenirs and postage stamps. Playstation games can be borrowed from the Kids Club at no additional cost. The Kids Club is well designed to give kids a comfortable and cosy feel. It is equipped with comfortable seating areas for reading and watching movies which are played at the request of any child. There is a generous area filled with coloured plastic balls and a slide and swing placed in the middle. A separate area is set for tables and chairs where activities such as painting and fan-making are conducted. My kids were disappointed that they did not have t-shirts in their sizes when they wanted to sign-up for batik painting. Going forward, we hope the Kids Club will look into replenishing all t-shirt sizes when they run-out to avoid disappointing kids. The Kids Club is equipped with its own little toilets for kids' use. The club is well-maintained in terms of cleanliness and condition. The female staff members are also very friendly and attentive. They know the kids by their names. The resort has a well maintained lawn area and a big trampoline. The resort's pool consists of a shallow wading area, a deeper area (water only up to my upper chest level) and a pool-bar. Overall a safe pool however, I reckon it would be crowded if the resort has an 80% occupation rate at any one time. The resort provides many deck chairs, several hammocks and a small soccer pitch on the sand amidst many Casuarina trees. The beach is not much of an area for sand-play and the water is rough and choppy (this is the Andaman Sea). The resort is situated at a rather remote location, hence the peace and tranquillity. Be prepared to pay at least THB 600-800 one-way to any destination. We managed to negotiate for the cabby to provide return trips for THB 800 on several occasions. The resort provides shuttle to and from Central Festival and Patong at reasonable prices (check with reception). We experienced a black-out on one of the nights and understandably, it is a common occurrence during monsoon periods. The black-out lasted too long and I am not certain if the resort had a back-up generator. While the lights came back-on after 10 minutes at a neighbouring resort, it took our resort close to 3 hours before power was restored. My daughter couldn't shower after a swim in the pool and had to go around smelling of chlorine while we had dinner and eventually showered in cold water because she grew sleepy and needed to prepare for bed. Not sure if more could have been done to have power reinstated within a shorter time. On the next day, we still didn't get hot water and the engineer had to be called-in to fix our water heater. This was however, resolved swiftly. Despite the kinks, we had a good time at the resort.

2 Thank RonTang
Dear RonTang,

Thank you for taking the time to share your holiday experience with us.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our Kids Suite and kid's facilities. Your feedback about the black-out is highly appreciated and we apologize for the inconveniences.

The team and I are looking forward to having your family back with us and please do let us know how we can make your stay more enjoyable.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
SALA Phuket Resort & Spa
Marriott's Mai Khao Beach - Phuket
Pullman Phuket Arcadia Naithon Beach
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Holiday Inn Resort Phuket

Been to Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort? Share your experiences!