This is a mid-level resort in Phuket but with a great location if you are just looking to get away from it all and relax. This resort is literally in the middle of nowhere. We borrowed a bike for an hour and rode for half an hour without finding anything of interest. There is another resort next to this one called Dvaree or something, but that's pretty much it for anything in 5 square kms. There a couple restaurant shacks outside of the hotel that is actually pretty packed with customers. I tried both, but the one called "Mama" is better, but slightly more expensive and crowded. Either way, you should be able to eat like a king for less than 500 bahts per person, including seafood (except lobster). Other than these 2 places, there's also a small restaurant at the beach next to the Holiday Inn beach, run by the Mai Khao bungalows next door. I didn't try that one, but the prices were even cheaper (no seafood). If this is your first time to Phuket, or you are looking to do a lot of activities, I wouldn't recommend this one. However if you were like me and just wanted to get away from everything for a couple days, this Holiday Inn resort is near perfect.
We were upgraded to a pool access deluxe and IHG platinum. No jr. suite but that's fine with me since it was such a short stay for us. Rooms were standard Holiday Inn (Asian ones, much better than the ones in the States). TV could be a little bigger, but I doubt many were in Phuket to watch TV. Nice rain shower and good pressure. Unlimited bottle waters every day. Our balcony was at the small skinny pool outside of the condominiums, which was nice but if you're a privacy freak you might not like this. People can swim outside your room, like I did. If you are that concerned you can just close the drapes. These room pools are very narrow and not that long, so might be okay for laps but not early in the morning or late at night if you don't want to disturb your neighbors. There is a main pool in the middle of the property near the beach, but that's not really to swim in, just soak.
Breakfast spread was very nice, with good selection of both Western and Thai breakfast. Good omelettes, and good crispy bacon, which is pretty hard to find in Asia. Thai noodle bar was good, and there was always a special, like Hainan chicken rice or fish maw soup. Maybe 5-6 different juices, and a daily smoothie. Good price too, for 440 bahts if you get it upfront when you check in. Very relaxing resort atmosphere for breakfast.
I noticed this hotel was nearly 80% Russian clientele, which was fine, but they're not very interactive. So if you're not Russian and you're okay with keeping to yourself 99% of the time, this shouldn't be a problem. There's also some occasional China tour buses but they arrive in late and leave early, so not a problem most of the time. Also, this is a hotel that caters to families a lot it seems, judging by the kids club and the amount of toddlers and kids running around. They mostly behaved themselves, so not a big deal but might be to some. I suggest the wooded sun lounger area behind the beach if you want a more quiet space. The hammocks were nice as well.
The beach at Mai Khao is one of the nicer ones for Phuket, and rather clean for Thailand, at least for the portion in front of Holiday Inn. Seems to be combed and sorted for trash every morning. The water was red flagged, but it's probably like that 90% of the time. Not a big deal on a calm day to just stay within 5-10 meters of the beach. A pretty good swim beach if you're into that sort of thing, otherwise it was just fine to soak in.
Spa area was closed for renovations so they were offering 20% off already reasonable rates for massages. I mean reasonable as in for hotel spas, especially for one so remotely located. I think our 60 minute (we couldn't be fit into a 90) massage was only 900 bahts each, merely double the massage ladies at the beach, and a much better environment. They were doing the massages in guest rooms converted for temporary massage rooms. We messed up the time a bit and they were a little stern but understandable. Massage was quality, and much better than the cheap ones at the beach.
Overall a very relaxed atmosphere and stay with very reasonable prices at the restaurants, bars, and spa. I'd go back if I need some pure and simple R&R.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paradise Discovered! Located on the pristine Mai Khao Beach with direct beach access, the resort is the perfect destination to discover the true beauty of Thailand with award winning service. The resort is located on the west coast of Phuket, with 10 kilometres of un-spoilt white sand National Park beach with no crowds and no vendors, leaving you with the beach to yourself and the unforgettable sunsets! With unique Thai hospitality we cater for all types of travelers, from couples on a peaceful romantic getaway, to families seeking the perfect holiday or to great corporate meetings. The family friendly resort proudly boasts beautifully landscaped gardens, a large infinity swimming pool with a children's pool and a swim up pool bar. The Kids Club is recognized by our guests as the most outstanding club they have seen, with a spacious indoor centre with ball pit and swings, as well as a safe and friendly outdoor playground. The amazing kids' activities programs are certain to keep your children entertained all day leaving you time to indulge in the many adult activity programs such as yoga and cooking classes as well as treating yourself in the popular Tea Tree Spa with its beautiful private treatment villas. Free WiFi, Kids Eat Free Program, 24 hour fitness centre, teen and activity zones with Play Stations, pool table, table tennis, darts, badminton, resort centre with books, DVD's & board games and a trampoline are topping the list of popular activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and HotelsClick so you can book your Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Hotel Mai Khao
- Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort