We have travelled to Phuket many many times and love it. We have previously stayed at HI in Patong but it has been getting very crowded for us so chose this year to split our time. We stayed 9 nights in Kata then on Christmas Eve went up to HI Mai Khao.
We had booked interconnecting pool access rooms and they were great. As a new resort it is great to have those things such as Ipod dock which other older hotels don't have.
The staff were forever attentive and lovely.
Exactly as they are shown on the photos and lovely clean and new. We had booked HI as we wanted to have a great Christmas dinner. We ended up having Christmas Eve dinner which was 'roast dinner' style and Christmas Day was more seafood based. I was amazed at the lovely christmas gingerbread house.
When booking we were aware that the resort is not "in the middle of the action" and we were happy to explore another part of Phuket. We have always driven when in Phuket so we organised a lime green American Jeep which we parked in the hotel carpark. We drove this up to Sarasin Bridge and also the seafood restaurants on the beach just south of the bridge. We also drove up to Phang Nha and haggled for a private boat to take us out to Gypsy Island/Village and also James Bond Island. This was much easier to stay at HI Mao Khai and do this privately than on a larger tour bus.
There are some restaurants near the hotel (but not easy to see at first) if you get sick of the lovely hotel food. Apart from Christmas Eve and Christmas Day we didn't eat at the hotel as we find hotel food expensive for five of us.
After a couple of days we mentioned in conversation to Simon the manager that the pool that our pool access room went onto was very very cold. Simon immediately arranged for us to be moved to another room which was fantastic, and the pool was much warmer in the new room. Next day Simon mentioned that he had followed up on our comments about the warmth of the pool and it was 3deg cooler. It was great that someone had followed up on this. We are from Darwin which is very very hot so for others the pool may not have felt cold depending on where you are from.
This is a very new resort and the staff are largely learning so we as tourists need to give them a break!!
The hotel had lots of activities for the kids like outdoor movies with an early session being for kids and the later one being for adults.
Beach is really lovely but there is a steep drop and there was shore break when we were there. We had some pool noodles with us which were great.
We had an early morning flight so it was lovely to have the 10 minute drive to the airport.
We also did a bike ride with http://www.amazingbiketoursthailand.asia/ and it was great as the start point was 5 minutes away and others had been on the bus for 45 minutes to get to the start. This was a huge bonus!
When we were on the bike ride my mum took our two kids (8 and 13) to the day spa with one having a teenage package and the other having a "my first facial" which was a real treat for the girls.
Emma (one of the executive managers) showed us around the Kids Suites when one was vacant and they look absolutely fabulous!
This is definately a relaxing hotel and I would suggest splitting your time between one of the main areas and this hotel.
Lou and Paul
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paradise Discovered! Located on the pristine Mai Khao Beach with direct beach access, the resort is the perfect destination to discover the true beauty of Thailand with award winning service. The resort is located on the west coast of Phuket, with 10 kilometres of un-spoilt white sand National Park beach with no crowds and no vendors, leaving you with the beach to yourself and the unforgettable sunsets! With unique Thai hospitality we cater for all types of travelers, from couples on a peaceful romantic getaway, to families seeking the perfect holiday or to great corporate meetings. The family friendly resort proudly boasts beautifully landscaped gardens, a large infinity swimming pool with a children's pool and a swim up pool bar. The Kids Club is recognized by our guests as the most outstanding club they have seen, with a spacious indoor centre with ball pit and swings, as well as a safe and friendly outdoor playground. The amazing kids' activities programs are certain to keep your children entertained all day leaving you time to indulge in the many adult activity programs such as yoga and cooking classes as well as treating yourself in the popular Tea Tree Spa with its beautiful private treatment villas. Free WiFi, Kids Eat Free Program, 24 hour fitness centre, teen and activity zones with Play Stations, pool table, table tennis, darts, badminton, resort centre with books, DVD's & board games and a trampoline are topping the list of popular activities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, IHG, Agoda, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity and Hotwire so you can book your Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Hotel Mai Khao
- Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort