I stayed at the Maikhao Dream Villa Resort and Spa earlier in November. It was my first time in Phuket and I did not know what to expect. The hotel is very close to the airport which made it very convenient especially since we were travelling with a toddler. When we arrived at the hotel, we checked in and we were brought to our 3 bedroom villa by Nicky, who was our butler for the duration of our stay. We were wowed by the sheer size of the villa. The 3 bedrooms were all en suite. The kitchenette, dining and living rooms were also of good size. Outside there was a gazebo where you could relax under, a jacuzzi and a swimming pool (this can get quite deep). On the second floor where the 3rd bedroom is located was another living room and another swimming pool with deck chairs and views of the beach. It was beautiful. The beds were very comfortable, the linen and towels fresh and the surroundings were very clean. The baby cot we had requested for was all prepared before our arrival as well. The hotel had also provided some small toys and toiletries for our toddler.
Nicky's service was just excellent. She was very helpful in assisting us with making our spa reservations, our dining reservations in the hotel and outside, and even recommended a take out Thai restaurant when we were too tired to trek out for dinner one night. Nicky was smiles all the time, even at 10 pm at night when she came with our pot of coffee and to say goodbye before she left for the day. The experience at the hotel would not have been complete without her.
There was a good buffet breakfast spread in the morning. We were there for 4 days and the hotel tried to have some small variations with the breakfast every morning. We had one dinner in the hotel. That experience was just ok honestly. We ordered from the ala carte menu some local Thai dishes. The food tasted ok but the portions were rather small. There was a traditional Thai dance for entertainment that evening and that was enjoyable.
The beach at the hotel is very quiet. It definitely has the feeling of a private beach. The tide can get quite high at times, especially compared to the waters we saw at Patong Beach. We managed to see a herd of water buffalos walking along the beach at sunset and that was quite a breathtaking and unsual experience.
The children's play room in the hotel is very well equipped and will definitely provide your children with lots of entertainment. There is also a pool table outside the children's room.
My experience at the spa was also really good. I had a 90 minute aromatherapy massage and it sure felt like that they had kneaded every spot that needed work on. The masseuse were professional and effective and extremely polite. There are lots of other cheaper spa options outside of the hotel, however it was just the most convenient option at the time. The hotel staff are also most willing to assist with this.
As the hotel is quite far North, the other attractions are quite a ride away, about 45 minutes - 1 hour. We went to Patong Beach, The Big Buddha, the Jim Thompson outlet as well as the Phuket Premium Outlets (not worth visiting in my opinion). We got a contact for a driver with a mini van from a friend and so transport was easy.
Near the hotel are other hotels on the Mai Khao beach stretch including the SALA and the JW Marriot. We had dinner one night at La Cucina at the JW Marriot and the food was pretty good. Nicky helped us arrange for the taxi there and back and that was about a 10 minute drive. Close to the area is also a little quaint shopping area called Turtle Village. There are some boutique stores there as well as eateries including a pub, Swensens and a coffee place. There was also a supermarket in Turtle Village.
Overall, a very good stay. I have already recommended it to other family and friends and it is definitely some where that I will come back to.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the northwest coast of Phuket Island, Maikhao Dream Villa Resort and Spa, Phuket, is only a short drive away from Phuket airport. It offers 22 exquisite pool villas that blend in perfectly with Phuket’s natural beauty. The resort exudes unstinting grandeur in a tranquil and natural environment where the warm turquoise sea caresses the golden sand of Maikhao Beach. Escape to a tropical playground where the warm turquoise sea caresses the golden sand of Maikhao Beach nature and sophisticated Thai design converge in celebration of a luxurious stay. Maikhao Dream Villa Resort & Spa, Phuket is a splendid holiday destination offering impeccable personalized services and facilities tailored to exceed guests’ expectations and ensure a “home-away-from-home” stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Maikhao Dream Villa Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maikhao Dream Villa Hotel Mai Khao
- Maikhao Dream Villa Resort And Spa Phuket/Mai Khao