Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
JJW House(Sakhu)
  • Pool
1,290 results
All reviewswater parksplash junglesunset breezethe penthousethe club loungefree entrydeluxe family residenceclose to the airportred mangosunset restaurantluxury bedroombuggy driverskids loveitalian restaurantegg stationkids clubfamily holiday
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I recently stayed three nights at the Centara Grand West Sands with my husband and three children. We stayed there on the recommendation of a travel agent friend and because of its proximity to the Spalsh Jungle Water Park.

The resort is located just north of the airport - literally. We arrived at the hotel armed with the knowledge that planes might be an issue, and I think this helped us. I initially thought the sound of planes taking of and landing all day (and even part of the night) would be a problem. But it wasn't. We had full view of the planes from the beach, and I thought many times how much my little nephews would enjoy the spectacle. We didn't hear the planes at all in our room.

The resort was spacious and set on spacious, beautiful grounds. Carts were always on the move, transporting guests to the pool, restaurants and their buildings. Admittedly, we used them a few times. But we decided the relatively short walk was good for us.

The lobby was a bit on the boring side and not what I expected from a five star tropical resort. During check in it reminded me of a doctor's office! The rooms, however, were spacious and comfortable. We stayed in a two bedroom apartment, which was ideal for my family of five.

There was a smaller swimming pool next to our building. However, we preferred to use the main pool, which was enormous and situated right by the beach. The only down side was finding a sun bed. Some inconsiderate guests threw towels etc over the sun beds very early in the morning and even moved them down to the beach, making it impossible for the rest of us to find one. (I suspected this was something that frustrated the resort staff as much as me.) The beach was also nice - very different from the busier beaches in southern Phuket - and access from the resort was immediate.

The resort was quite isolated, which meant we ate at the resort restaurants each night. The main restaurant had a barbecue theme one night, which was excellent. We enjoyed the food and the fire dancing entertainment. The other two nights we ate at the Thai restaurant, which was also excellent. The breakfast buffet was very good, and a highlight of our day.

The Centara Grand West Sands is a very nice resort. But it could be even better. Apart from the stark, office-like lobby, the convenience store was a bit shabby and could be given a more upmarket feel. Next to the convenience store it looked as though a coffee shop had been there once, or planned to be there. It would be to have a coffee shop on the premises. A trapeze was set up on the grounds, but not in use, even though we were staying during a busy season. There were a few limited activities on offer, such as water aerobics. But the trapeze, and/or additional entertainment, would have been appreciated given the resort's isolation.

We thoroughly enjoyed our three nights at Centara Grand West Sands and would consider staying there again. However, we all agreed that three nights was enough. It's a relaxing place to stay (despite the planes) and perfect if you enjoy water parks. But if you want shopping and a variety of restaurants, three nights is long enough.

Room Tip: Some of the resort buildings are a long way from the main pool/beach, but closer to the water park. If you want to be close to the main pool/beach, as we did, request a room with the best pool access.
2  Thank TOl3
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear Family TOI3

Warm Greetings from Phuket to Melbourne

Thank you for taking the time to share your Holiday experience here on Tripadvisor and we are more than happy to hear that you had a great stay with us and especially the kids had a fantastic time. I have to agree our current Lobby is more set up in practical terms, however good news, our new Main Lobby is scheduled to be completed by the end of March with a beautiful décor and theme, overlooking the Waterpark when you arrive. I am sure this will give you a great arrival experience on your hopefully next return visit. As well I will happily pass on your comments about the excellent BBQ and Thai food we provided to our Chefs, which I know they appreciate comments like yours highly. The convenience store and attached building is unfortunately not managed by Centara, but I will pass on your comments to the relevant person to see what can be done to improve the offer and feel.

I fully agree with your comment about entertainment on site, and as we have seen the need for extra activities for our guests, I gladly can say that as of end of January we hired 4 professional entertainers from a renowned company who now offer a full day of activities, from a morning aqua aerobic, to kids games, archery to a kids mini disco at night. Since they started we had already a lot of positive feedback from our guests and it certainly adds to overall atmosphere. And additional sunbeds are on order and I apologize if that caused any challenges.

Again thank you for staying with us and for your warm feedback provided.

We sure hope to welcome you again in the near future, for lots more fun activities provided and another overall great holiday experience.

Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

I'm a travel agent and would not recommend this place to anyone.
Stayed here with my family Staff are rude especially the lady desk manager
When checking out they tried to charge me a higher rate then I had booked for.
The first night we stayed here we were in block 9 it was so loud from the noise of the elevator and banging of the front door that we couldn't sleep the first night we went down to lobby around 1am and were told we could not be moved as it was the middle of the night.
The resort is so close to airport that you here planes come over the resort every 5 minutes.
The restaurants are so over priced.
The only good thing for this place is the water park but would recommend family's to stay at another resort and come to water park

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank AmiePortolesi
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Dear Amie

Thank you for posting your comments here on Tripadvisor and I am deeply sorry to hear that you feel this way. However may I correct some points of interest to your fellow travelers. The room category you booked is suitable for 2 adults and 2 kids and provides bunk beds for the younger ones, however it is not set up for 1 adult and 3 teenagers due to the layout. Out of courtesy and the problems you encountered during the night, our Front Office Manager upgraded you and your family to a 2 bedroom luxury suite which you happily excepted. On several occasions during your stay our staff especially inquired on your satisfaction level and the feedback was always positive, the more I am surprised and disappointed to hear your recommendation. On check out an error occurred and was rectified literally a few minutes later and my staff explained how it came to pass, as simply the transfer fee was double charged by mistake. As for the location, I think it can be seen by previous feedback from guests that it actually creates a sense of excitement, is no noise problem and rather a positive experience than a nuisance.

Again I am deeply sorry and troubled to read your comments while my Team did everything they could to make your stay a pleasant one.

With Best Wishes from Phuket

Reviewed February 5, 2014

CGWS was really a positive surprise with it's spacious outdoor and recreational area and beautiful beach. The resort is the neighbour of the airport something we imagined could be a real headache after a while, but actually it was a quite cool seeing planes descending right next to us on the beach. Carpe Diem, the company who delivered the pool side entertainment and activities was really good and ensured a great atmosphere the whole day. Special thanks to Angie and Anita (and the two boys) for all their great efforts, fun crazy games, aquarobics, kids parties etc. Also the wate park Splash jungle was a super attribute to the whole resort concept when travelling with small kids. Some of the slides were even quite good fun for adult kids as well.
One thing the GCWS really should and definitely could improve is service! In this respect they don't live up to the 5 star level and expectation. And also the cleanliness of the rooms (at least ours) was not at a level worthy of a 5 star resort. Our family suite reminded us more of the 3 star party pits we've experienced in the French alps, with and incredibly dirty sofa and carpet.
But all in all, CGWS was a surprisingly pleasant experience way above our expectations (which was low after last year's experience at grand centara beach resort at Karon beach).

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Ole Jørgen T

Dear Ole

Warm Greetings from Phuket

Thank you for taking your time to share your comments here on Tripadvisor and it is great to hear, that your stay was a pleasant and above expectations one. Especially it is good to hear that our entertainment on site was really good, as we just started with Carpe Diem in the middle of January and it seemed they are doing exactly what they are here for and providing you a good time.

I am truly sorry to hear that our services and the cleanliness was not up to standards and I will take that on board personally to improve on these issues with my Team.

Again thank you for your kind feedback and I for sure hope to welcome you back in the near future for more fun games and a super Waterpark.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed hear for 2 nights arriving at 1:30am in the morning on the first night, the night staff were friendly and quick to get us settled into our room, the room was spaces, clean & comfortable, we ate each morning at the sunset breeze restaurant with the beach right in front of us it was so relaxing, beautiful and laid back, they had staff driving buggies around the resort all the time, they would always stop & ask if you wonted a lift somewhere. The water park Splash jungle was fun & exciting for our son, we had lots of laughs there, all in all great resort for the family loved it…

Room Tip: We were on one of the highest floors in building 8 the view was of the water park & beautiful landscaped gardens, really peaceful in the mornings.
1  Thank Aleah M
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Aleah and Family

Thank you ever so much for taking your time share your recent travel experience here on Tripadvisor. We are all very happy to read that you had a great stay and especially a lot of laughs with the family. Our goal is to provide the best of quality time for families and it is always a pleasure to know, that we achieved our aim.

We for sure hope to welcome you back soon for more laughs and fun.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed at Centara for 1 night before we departed Phuket. Our 2 bedroom apartment was very spacious and modern. Check in was a little slow but it was busy. We ate at the Sunset Breeze for breakfast which was nice, very busy though and a bit slow to replenish items. We also ordered room service which arrived on time and was tasty. We also ate at Azzurro Italian Restaurant which had good service.
Yes this hotel is near the airport, but the noise did not bother us. Actually I found it amazing that I could walk 500 meters up the beach and watch aeroplanes landing.
We stayed at Centara because of Splash Jungle. We wanted to take the kids their before we left Phuket and this was the easiest way.
Our girls also swam to the pool right next to our apartment which they enjoyed. Make sure you go the beach at 6.30 to watch the sunset it is beautiful.
Check out was a bit of a pain, busy again, computers down and I disputed the bill as we had paid for 6pm late check late before we left Australia and they were trying to charge me for that again. I refused to pay it so they rang Sawadee to check this. Make sure you print off all your vouchers and receipts. Would I stay again, yes I would but only to go to Splash Jungle which is free for hotel guests.
Be prepared to pay 700B to get a van to take you 10 minutes to airport!

3  Thank Kelley W

Dear Kelley and Family

Warm Greetings from Phuket Island

Thank you for sharing your stay experience with your fellow travelers and it is great to hear that you had a pleasant stay. Especially good to read that our Food and Beverage offerings were good and tasty. I am sorry however to note the not as pleasant points and the good and the not so good points were shared with my Team already to revisit and improve. I am sorry that you did encounter problems at check and check out and our Front Office Manager is made aware of your comments.

We sure hope to welcome you back in the future for more Splash Jungle fun and beautiful sunsets.