Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket
    JJW House(Sakhu)
    • Pool
    Average 3/5
    1,290 results
    All reviewswater parksplash junglesunset breezethe penthousethe club loungefree entrydeluxe family residenceclose to the airportred mangosunset restaurantluxury bedroombuggy driverskids loveitalian restaurantegg stationkids clubfamily holiday
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed January 3, 2014

An excellent resort for family get together to live for atleast a week. A place which will make you forget every tensions of life.Good atmosphere, good rooms. Best part is beach in it's campus and morning breakfast with a view of this excotic beach. You watch the beach with sunset in the evening along with flights take off and landing as the airport is very near. That makes an excellent view. Overall it's a very good place. Negative part is the city is very far. If you also want to visit the city life then the distances will annoy you. Overall one must visit to this place atleast once.

Room Tip: Try to take suite room.
    • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
    Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Sir

Warmest Greetings from Phuket to India

Thank you ever so much for taking your time to share your feedback here on Tripadvisor and we are all very thrilled to hear that you and your family had such a good time in our Resort. I will gladly share your excellent experience with my Team and that you enjoyed a relaxed and family quality time holiday.

We sure hope to welcome you back soon with your family.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Thailand. had a fantastic trip. Had ok encounters with staff however english was not a language they should put down as understanding. I was always told that its expensive to get to Thailand but once you're there things are cheap. I guess this hotel didn't get the memo. With that aside the villa was nice. Having the washing machine/dryer was a plus but it hadn't been cleaned in a LONG time. The smell of mildew was evidant. We had the only room with an electronic lock so we had to keep bringing our key to the font desk so that they could clear our room. Extremely inconvenient. Restaurants were so so as everytime we went to one of them the rolling black outs would occur and we are sitting in the dark. The outside restaurant at least had our candle burning.. Bkft was horrible and was the only touristy touristy part. We began getting food and cooking our own bkft. Full kitchen so that was also a plus. Just mad that I had already paid for bkft at the restaurant for our stay. The travel assistant at the hotel was great. She helped set up several trips that made the vacation. The water park on premise was a delight since the pool was Yuk!!!
    The beach was beautiful but need some maintenance.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
    Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear Lesette

Warm Greetings from Phuket to the Big Apple

We appreciate the time taken to leave your comments here on Tripadvisor, however it is hard to follow up on your points carefully, as your review is posted about 9 months later as your stay. Going through your points we made a good progress in most and I think recent reviews show so. Black outs are a regular occurrence in Phuket but our outlets are all connected to back up generators, as well our food offerings have improved and all the locks of our Villas are fixed. I am not sure what would have caused the your comment about the Pool or the beach as it is just too long ago to really have a chance to check. The first language in Thailand is certainly not English, however we do have a permanent English teacher on site since your stay and progress for sure has been made.

Again thank you for taking your time to share your feedback and I certainly hope you will give us another chance on your next stay in Phuket to see what has developed in the time past.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

This place has potential to be a great resort if it pays more attention to the details and gets them right.

The buildings, grounds and layout are great, with a good variety of facilities and room types. But it is hard to get around on foot (the foot paths don't lead directly from block to block or to all key facilities); and the free buggy service takes a long time to come (during our 5-night stay, there appeared to be mainly only 2 big buggies and maybe a few small ones -- too few for such a large resort with so many rooms).

On the surface, the buildings, rooms and amenities look very nice and classy, but when you look a little closer, it's not great. Our group had 4 different types of rooms in 2 different buildings. The TVs in some of the rooms didn't work (bad static and sometimes just had no reception). The phones in some of our rooms didn't work. The airconditioning in 1 of the rooms didn't work (no cold air coming from it). The keys for 3 of our rooms were suddenly deactivated, and we only found out when we returned exhausted after a long day out at Phang Nga. Each time we informed the staff, they tried to help, but in the 5 nights we stayed there, many of the problems persisted.

Housekeeping was inconsistent -- rooms/bathrooms weren't spotless; used cups/glasses were not always washed/replaced; some days the complimentary bottled water was replaced and on some days they weren't; some rooms were given a good quantity of the coffee/tea/creamer//sugar sachets and some rooms had few; some rooms had a box of tissues, some didn't; some rooms had a spare roll of toilet paper and some didn't (!!); toiletries in the bathroom weren't always replaced/replenished and my shower cap disappeared.

At check-in, we were told 1 of the rooms would not be ready till 4pm. We waited past 4pm and it was still not ready. The front office staff felt bad about our long wait and brought us to the room to wait, but when we got there, it was nowhere near completion (dirty, piles of towels, dirty cups/glasses in sink, unmade beds, etc). And even though we sat and waited in the room, the housekeeping staff did not appear to hurry to finish cleaning but stopped often to chat and look at their mobile phones.

A low point was when my niece's expensive board shorts (swimming/surfing shorts) disappeared from one of our rooms. It was left in the bathroom to dry after washing, but it disappeared. We checked all our belongings and in all our rooms, but it was nowhere to be found. I wanted to inform the duty manager but my 13-year old niece did not want to as she said she didn't want anyone to lose their job just because of her board shorts.

My review is titled "Mixed Feelings" because despite these issues that I've mentioned, there were some positive things:
    1. Service staff -- all the staff were generally polite and helpful. I could see that they genuinely wanted to help and to serve, and that really made the difference to my experience in this resort. I would like to especially mention Sergei (from Russia) who was patient, helpful and remained polite and calm throughout my interactions with him.

2. Splash Jungle Water Park -- this is a great feature in the resort. The kids and teens loved it and we spent many days there. It's fantastic that it is accessible for resort guests at no cost.

3. Good variety of restaurants and facilities to keep us occupied.

So as I wrote at the start of this Review, this Resort has potential to be a great place to stay in Phuket. It already has good staff service standards, so it just needs to pay attention to the details and get the room basics right. Just those basics done right would have made this a great holiday for us.

Dear Sir or Madam

Warm Greetings to Singapore

Thank you for your feedback here on Tripadvisor and taking your time to state your positive as well as your constructive points. I am glad to hear, that in general you had a good stay with good staff, variety of outlets and the Watepark, however I am concerned about the other points mentioned. As you can imagine, December is a very busy time of the year for us, but this should not reflect on any of your points mentioned which we have already discussed internally and will action accordingly.

Again, I am glad to know you generally had a good holiday and I am sorry for the shortcomings you experienced. I sure hope we are able to welcome you again in Phuket to show you the improvements made.

With Best Wishes from Phuket

Reviewed December 29, 2013

This hotel includes a water park and two pools. The water park is small by American standards with 5 large slides, a lazy river, a small wave pool, and a large water play area for small children with small slides. Lines were about 15 minutes during mid-day but only 5 minutes before noon and after 4 pm. The only problem was that no one was willing to give up their tubes at the end of the rides so the same kids got to ride over and over while others could not ride at all during the peak time. The life guards did not enforce any rules. Despite this issue, it was a perfect park for one day.

The beach is beautiful and empty. The gym is fantastic with modern equipment.

This resort is isolated so you are stuck eating at their restaurants which are overpriced and OK, but not great. You can walk off the property to find a few shops with basic groceries.

The staff were polite but very disorganized. It took us an hour to check in. I finally had to go and fetch my luggage myself after waiting for 20 minutes and calling. They promised a poolside activity of “water walking” but I could never get an answer about it at the gym or poolside. I think it was cancelled because no one showed up to run this activity at the posted time.

This was a perfect resort for about 2 days but I would not stay here longer unless you have day trips planned for the other days.

Room Tip: Get the family suite if you have kids. The family suite has a tiny bedroom with bunk beds which was perfect for 2 kids; a regular bedroom; a living room; a large balcony; and a full bathroom. It was spacious, clean, and modern.
    • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
    Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Faye

Warm Greetings from Phuket to Houston

Thank you ever so much for taken the time to share your recent experience in our Resort on Tripadvisor and it is good to hear that the room you booked was perfect and that you did enjoy the beach and our gym. I do apologize for the problems at the Waterpark, normally our life guards are our strictest stickler to protocol and we have by now received a new order of tubes from Canada which are put in action already to ensure a smooth ride for everyone. We are indeed a bit out of the way, however as you state, a great resort for kids. For longer stays we highly recommend to hire a care to get around Phuket and come back to a peaceful environment at night. We did increase our sport activities by now with the offer of fishing and archery and the times for our sport activities are posted at the towel hut, but I will certainly make sure that our Sports Team is briefed better in the future.

We sure hope to welcome you back, the next time you and your family will be in Phuket, be it for another perfect 2 days or longer.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Centara Grands Resorts and Villas. Stayed from dec 21 to Dec 27, 2013 in Villas #1001 and # 1003.

We reached Bangkok Suvernabhumi and changed planes for Phuket. I had previously instructed the hotel to send us 2 vans to pick up our party of 15. As we exited the airport I found the hotel representative holding our card. The drive to Centara Grand Resorts and villas was only 15 minutes. As we entered the compound we could tell this place was going to be special. Our vans stopped at the Reception. As we entered the Reception our party sat down as we were checked in. During this time, we were offered cold drinks. It was all done in 10 minutes. Then a buggy took us to our villas. As we entered our villa we found it amazing. There is a gorgeous pool thats really awakes your senses. As we entered the apartment you notice how big and modern it looks. For 16 of us, we rented 2, three bedroom villas and the rooms were spacious and bright. The reception staff who accompanied us to the villas briefly showed us around. Our luggage came within 15 minutes. The villas came with a full kitchen, dining and living room. As we toured the villas we found there was an outdoor rainforest shower adjacent to tne pool which we took advantage of the next 5 days.
    The beds were super comfy and the A/C was fine. The third room however smelled of mildew and we notified housekeeping.
    Next morning when we looked out the backdoor patio, we were stunned by the beauty and the close proximity of the beach. Heck, we were just little over 100 feet away from the Andaman Sea ! The sunrises and the sunsets were amazing and thoroughly enjoyed from our patio. After taking several buggy rides we could see the hotel grounds were all very well maintained and the landscaping made it very pisturesque.
    Breakfast was very good and something you expect from 5 star hotels In Asia. Its served in the Sea Breeze restaurant. You have the egg station, a wide array of choices of both Thai and Western foods, juices and fresh fruits. I can't see anyone complaining here. I saw the Chef walk around the restaurant inspecting the food himself. We took a buggy the first day but later found if we walked along the beach it took us less than 10 minutes. Very pleasant walk with the sea breeze accompanying us to the Restaurant. Besides, it was peak season and at times the buggy took a while which was understandable.
    There were some special programs going on for Christmas as the grounds were really spruced up and brightly lighted. Really took on a festive holiday spirit.
    We ordered room serivce a few times amd were overall satisfied though I found choices limited for such a famous hotel chain. I think management should think about expanding the Room Service Menu a little more since guests do not have many choices to eat out except the hotel restaurants.
    On one occasion we rented 3 bikes which let us ride and explore the hotel grounds.
    Our kids really took advantage of the Jungle Splash water park which is part of the hotel compound. Guests have free access and just have to state your room numner and they give you this watch you have to put on. There are quite a few rides for teenagers and some splash pools for younger kids. There is an even a wave pool which i found to be quite high at times. We really loved water park and it was the main reason we chose this hotel. We had lunch one day at the Jungle Splash. Burgers and Fish & Chips. Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
    I have read a few of the comments made by other contributors and truthfully I don't understand some of their 'beef'. Yes, it is close to the airport but nothing that made me think 'we need to check out'. Yes there are planes landing and taking off but I wasn't too bothered.
    We had a family dinner at the Thai restaurant Suan Bua. Very nice decor and open on all sides. Food was okay but service could be faster and more personal.
    Overall, we really loved our 5 days and 6 nights at the Centara Grand Resort & villas. The staff were excellent and always greeted us with a smile and traditional Sawaadee Kaap. But being regular visitors to Thailand for the last 7 years we now come to expect it. We have been spoiled. I would recommend this hotel to any family with young kids who love water. We had easy access to the beach, a private pool in our villa, a large infinity public pool and finally, a water park within the hotel compound.
    If I had to complain about anything, I would have to say it is far from Phuket town but we already knew that so we were prepared. Also, the restaurants just outside the hotels do not serve high quality Thai good. You are better off sticking to the hotel's Thai and Italian restaurants. The wifi is not smooth in the villas especially if you are in the third room or even out in the pool area. I think that could improve.
    Please take advantage of the fresh fruits that is sold by the open air grocery stores. Cheap and delicious. However, avoid the Red Mango restaurant. We ate there one night but did not like the food.
    A big shout to GM Andreas, Reservations staff Chairat, Tippawan, Reception staff Edward, Tar, Sidney, Qing, and others including those buggy boys. They made this trip very special.
    Thank you very much Centara. We will be back.

2  Thank Adnan_Chowdhury67
    Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Family Kaniz and Ahasan

Warmest Greetings from Phuket to Dhaka

I have to admit it was a real delight reading your glowing review and I sincerely thank you for your warm words and the praise for my Team. We are all very pleased to have made such an impression on you and your family and they truly appreciate your feedback. Especially fantastic to hear that our Villas were located perfectly for you, our restaurants served great food and my Team mad your trip special. We are as you rightfully say, family orientated due to our location and the attached Waterpark and this is what we want to offer, quality time with the family in a great environment, away from the hectic and noise in other areas.

Again thank you ever so much for sharing your experience here on Tripadvisor and from a TOP contributor at that, and for sure we all hope to hear from you soon again for your next trip to Phuket.

We are happy to be of assistance again before, during and after your stay, anytime.