Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket
$92
HolidayInn.com
$315
Marriott
SALA Phuket Resort and Spa(Mai Khao)(Great Value!)
$142
$117
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa(Mai Khao)(Great Value!)
$122
  • Pool
Coriacea Boutique Resort(Mai Khao)(Great Value!)
$191
$64
Trip.com
$316
$242
Orbitz.com
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa(Mai Khao)(Great Value!)
$101
$202
$195
Priceline
$326
$276
Priceline
1,317 results
All reviewswater parksplash junglesunset breezethe penthousethe club loungefree entrydeluxe family residenceclose to the airportred mangosunset restaurantluxury bedroombuggy driverskids loveitalian restaurantegg stationkids clubfamily holiday
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I spent 5 nights here mid of Oct; I was arrived one day earlier so booked a standard room, but hotel was upgraded to one-bed suite; 2nd day I was joined by friends from HKG, we booked a 2 bed suite and stayed there for 4 nights.

The one bed suite was room 4104 and 2 bed was 3102 which both were located ground floor.
We chose this hotel was we had kids and the splash jungle waterpark was the main attraction for the trip. We were joined by other two families, all with kids.

Yes, we all know the hotel was close to the airport, but I personally didn’t find it too disturbing. I don’t know if different rooms will have different impact; or luckily, Phuket airport is not as busy as Changi or HKIA, the flights are not so much. I didn’t hear big complain about this issue from our group of people.

The hotel looks like a new real estate development, the room is big, more like any apartments (more accurately, service apartment-like) you can find in modern city, deco is minimal. And seems all rooms have various issues; 4104- the water was pooling inside shower- somewhere blocked I guess; 3102- with one queen bed room and one 2 single beds (all ensuite)- both safety boxes doesn’t work, as well as the DVD player – both have been changed after request.

I felt it’s quite strange that after so many review mentioned these maintenance issues, seems not much have been done.

The service side, I think generally we were happy, majority staff were helpful, buggie are plenty; but do encounter a few less flexible staff (once we are them to join a few table together as we have quite some people, but they refuse, citing the table was too heavy!!)

Not much you can go or do around the hotel, so we almost spent all our time inside hotel- kids just love the water park- just for that, it’s worth stay in this place. Also there's kid club can keep them busy too. The beach was quite nice, but probably good for have a bit walk and watch sun set- not really good for swimming; During our stay, the main pool was under maintenance. So hint- you can ask for some hotel voucher when you check in, if you have to stay there all the time, you get a some credit for food/drink etc. (We realized that halfway through, was a bit late; probably it would be nicer that front desk mentioned this when we check in)

About food, the breakfast was basic (I don’t find it was bad as some review says); the Italian restaurant and Thai restaurant are all quite good food with good price; We had 3 dinners at the Thai restaurants and was all happy with the tasty food. (there were a few planes took off about 8-9pm, so it was a bit noisy); the price was very reasonable.

I took the shuttle bus to Turtle Village which is a small shopping area- nothing fancy, just had some food and bought a few small things.

Last thing, the spa center was very good- worth try. (they have special of 2 hour massage buffet for 1200B) - good skills and calm environment.

To summary, I think if you are aiming to spend some time in the waterpark, and not expect 5 star resorts quality of service (along with their price tag), this is a place you can have a short stay; The waterpark is worth visiting.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Yan

Warm Greetings from Phuket

Thank you ever so much for sharing your experience of your recent stay with friends here on Tripadvisor and it is fantastic to hear that in generally you had a happy time. We are in the final process of deciding on the interior upgrade in the rooms you mentioned and there will be very soon a change for the better. I am sorry to hear that you encountered some maintenance issues while with us but as you mentioned they have been rectified shortly after reporting. As well I will gladly share with my Kitchen Team the very nice and positive comments about our food offerings and I know they will appreciate your feedback. For the Resort Credit, as with most Centara Hotels, we offer the possibility of our Bhat Bonanza, which simply means if you place a certain amount of money into your account, we will give you extra free credit on top depending on your money places, to spent in the Resort Restaurants and Spa. It is indeed a very good deal and will talk to my Front Office Team again to ensure we will inform our guests on arrival.

Again thank you for taking the time to write here on Tripadvisor and we are all looking forward to welcome you back in the future.

Best Wishes

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Yes, there are good things about the resort as well as more than a few off-putting things. Read on, if you wish, as I will try to be as detailed as possible.

We stayed at the resort in a villa in October 2013. We selected the resort after a lot research and rented a 3 bed room villa. it seems all villas are duplex. And I think resort is a part of time share ownership. The resort was clean and immaculately kept. The staff were very helpful and courteous. Housekeeping was reasonable. The villa was next to the sea shore and was always nice to walk outside. The airport was next to the resort so you could hear the roars of jet engines all time of the day and night. But that was known fact. The resort had a water splash park which was free to use for the resort guests. The resort is about one hour away by car to Patong area. There is nothing to be seen or doing near almost 5 Km. The access to the resort is through the jungle/plantation on a well built road. There is a small convenience store located next to the main restaurant as well as kids play area. Buggies are used (can be arranged pretty quickly by calling the reception) for moving around. The resort also has a small spa and massage facility.

The villa has two bedrooms and then an outside room. The rooms and bathrooms are spacious. The private pool was big enough but not deep enough. The pool was not heated so, during the rainy season the water was cold. So the pool was used sparingly. There was a Jacuzzi as well attached with the pool, which remained uncleaned throughout our 6 day stay. No one bothered to clean it enough to be used. The rooms are furnished basic with a bed (or twin beds in one room) and a sofa. There was walk-in closed area. All rooms had ensuite bathrooms. The master bedroom balcony overlooks the sea and the pool. One of the bathrooms also had a Jacuzzi and when trying to use it one day, go bitten by small insects and crawlies coming out of the holes. It appears that it was not used for a long time and/or not cleaned properly. All the rooms had a TV but with a very basic cable. The lounge area had nearly worn-out couches with a flat screen TV, a coffee table and a dining table for six. The kitchen was fitted with all the amenities but there was no washing machine. Travelling with small kids and washing the swimwear thus became an arduous prospect. Why a villa with three bedroom wouldn’t have washing machine? Used the water park a few times and was fun.All in all, was happy with the villa and resort itself. But that’s where the good part ends.

Now, the not so good, and at times, really bad part. This consists of food and non-activity in the evening/night. The resort has three restaurants: main restaurant which is used for breakfast and then for lunch and dinner, a Thai restaurant, and an Italian restaurant. In addition it has a room service (probably 24 hours). They also have two bar type restaurants at the water park. I think all restaurant have been contracted out to a foreigner businessman (saw either him or his associate one day making rounds). We used the breakfast only once (even though it was included in our room price) and that shows the quality of the food. It was pathetic, to say the least. There was hardly any quantity or quality or variety of food. All three, I know. There was an egg station which was churning out horrible eggs and literally runny omeletts. The smell and stench of food was overbearing. There was hardly any food in the dishes i.e. almost negligible food. So, that was it for us and we never returned for breakfast.

We were keen to try Thai food and went to the restaurant. It was buffet style with a set price, THB 790, if I am not wrong. Again, the quality of the food was atrocious. On the soup station, I asked for Tom Yum Goong soup and all I got was chicken broth boiled with some vegetable and three pieces of sea food. No way near the soup what I ordered. And again the variety was very limited. The rice tasted like the main ingredient was salt. The Thai noodles were awful. The only good thing was fried fish which was in short supply. I ordered a glass of house wine and all I got was half a glass! So, again a very disappointing introduction to Thai cuisine.

Another time, we went to the Italian. It was above the main restaurant ( should have known!). Anyways, ordered food and wine. The waiter comes back with another vintage then what I selected from the menu. So, instantly I sent him back to bring what I ordered. He came back after 15 minutes and said the restaurant was out of it. Disappointing, really. The food arrives. My pasta was loaded with chilli. Now I can take lot of chilli but the overuse of chilli was very evident. The chicken dish ordered was really bad and another pasta dish was not good either. The restaurant was empty except for another table and now I know there was a reason for that. The quality of food was really really bad. The only good thing was the fried rice I ordered for my 5 year old. Once for dinner we went to the main restaurant, It had a buffet priced at THB 590. There was no food. only some remnants of the food in the dishes. Hardly any salad bar or dessert bar.

In the meantime, we had tried the water park restaurants as well couple of time. It was sad to see that in country surrounded by seas and oceans, the restaurants chose to use frozen sea food. Ordered fish and chips and they were not good. Burger, not good. from frozen as if you are using Mcdonalds (no offence). Thai noodle soup was good but again used frozen sea food. Thai green curry was as if made by someone who doesn’t know how to cook Thai food. The beer, even brands like Heineken, were missing something. They are made locally and it seems have been filtered down (no fault of the restaurants). So, it was disappointing food and we didn’t use restaurants until the last day (because no option). And that capped the bad food experience of the entire stay. So, we ordered, a burger, a combo of steak and chicken and Phad thai. It was in the main restaurant. There was a buffet as well but we avoided it like a plague. We ordered from the menu. The burger came raw (were they trying to kill me?) because it was made from frozen, steak was inedible and had bad taste. Phad thai was from a different world. I called the waiter and told him about the burger and showed him that it was raw. he apologized and didn’t charge but left me hungry.

So, all in all, the worst food experience I have had in the 20 years of travelling. And that is not an overstatement. The resort needs to surgically look at the chef, cooks and menus to make it better. The resort cut off from the world must have excellent food and wine.

The other peeve I got was that there was no activity at night. As I said the resort is cut off from the main town by good one hour and it costs money to go to the Patong town (I will explain below how). There was no activity after sunset. The restaurants are bad enough for people to lounge around and drink away. After sunset you are stuck in your villa or room with the stupid and very basic cable. The resort should plan some activities for the night for people to spend their evening/night times. The spa closes at 8pm. That’s way too early.

So, will I return to Centara Grand West or recommend it to my friend. The answer to both questions is an emphatic No. And that’s a pity. If the food was better, I would, but no way based on this experience.

We used Manop for our visits to Patong and other sight-see activities. Very punctual and reasonable priced for a big van. We also used him to drop off at the airport He and his cousin operate the van and were very helpful and trustworthy. The email is m.pukpaya@hotmail.com. His telephone no. 084-0612933. We also used his friend in Bangkok. Again a good experience. The contact details in the post on Bangkok (coming soon!).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank deserttodesert
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear desertman

Greetings from Phuket to Kuwait

Thank you for taking your time to post your extensive feedback here on Tripadvisor and I am happy to hear about the positive experiences you made while staying with us especially about our friendly Team, the accommodation and you were happy with the resort itself, however I am sincerely sorry to hear about your rather less positive feeling about our Food and Beverage offerings. We will certainly discuss with our Team in the Kitchen and see how we can improve on your points mentioned. I am a bit surprised to read that none of our outlets, which are certainly not contracted out, could please you, contrary to the recent reviews which clearly show our good standard and ongoing effort to offer only the best of Thai Hospitality. We do offer certain evening activities, which unfortunately during monsoon season are limited due to weather conditions and our location does offer a relaxed family stay, rather than a entertainment holiday such as being in Patong. For the taste of Heineken Beer, I have to admit that this is the first time I ever heard anything in this regards that it is lacking something as well.

Again thank you for sharing your positive and constructive comments and I sure hope that one day we are able to welcome you back to show you that we certainly can do better.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We googled this one on trip advisor prior to staying and saw a lot of good reviews plus we are kids at heart so the water park sounded appealing. To be honest the apartments were big but I agree the bathroom wasn't well designed as in the bedroom you could hear everything. Having the separate lounge was good but I agree that as it is an appartment the room doesn't have that five star resort feel but it it is a great room and good balcony. We stayed near the round pool which is in the middle of breakfast, beach and water park so ask to stay around there.
The water park is great for big kids and little ones and we had a blast. The beach is also beautiful. Unfortunately for us the infinity pool was shut the 4 nights we were there.
Room service food was good and well priced.
2-3 nights here would be my maximum as I am a light sleeper and the planes do fly over regularly plus it is not near anything else.
You are literally next to the airport but for the fun of the water park it's worth a short stay.

• Stayed: October 2013
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear Sir or Madam

Warm Greetings from Phuket Island

Thank you for sharing your recent experience here on Tripadvisor, and even more so coming from a Senior contributor. I am very glad to read that you had a blast in the Waterpark, that the rooms in general met your satisfaction and that our food offering was good plus having a beautiful beach. For the feel of the room, I tend to agree that at times we need to add more warmth in the building you stayed, and this is currently under process I am happy to say. The design for the interior upgrade is already done and we are actually on the way to procure everything we think we need to make it much warmer and welcoming.

I am sorry for the pool closure, but this unfortunately had to be done at one point of time to guarantee a worry free usage for the future and it is all back to normal by now.

Again thank you for your feedback provided and I am happy to hear that in general you had a good stay with us. I sure hope we are able to welcome you again in the near future for another blast in the Waterpark, be it for a short or longer stay.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I had to pick up a friend at Phuket Airport and went for Breakfast at West Sands Grand Centara. Was very surprised with the big spread of there buffet for rather small price. Also nice egg station and good quality of goods. Nice American Breakfast. Nice staff and close to the beach. Good for a little walk after this wonderfull breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear Francois

Warm Greetings to Khao Lak

Thank for your feedback provided here on Tripadvisor and for stopping by on the way to pick up a friend from the Airport. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our Breakfast offering and sure hope we will see you again soon when you will be near us in Phuket.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We visited the property in October 2013 and had a great time at the resort. The staff are excellent and very friendly. Rooms were very spacious. Also had a swimming pool. Rooms are very well maintained and clean. Check in was not too bad. The hostess Fon was very friendly. There are plenty of activities like the Jungle Splash and pools, kids club etc. Used the Jungle Splash and the kids enjoyed it. Ive seen better water parks but this was good enough for the kids. The property is very well maintained, clean and has a well maintained feel. Breakfast is good. Had dinner at the Thai restaurant which was also good. The resort has an ATM and convenience store. It is a bit pricey like all good resorts are and there are not many options outside the resort.
The resort is ideal for families/ couples who want to spend all their time at the resort. Phuket town, Patong etc are quite far. I did go to Phi Phi Island and Patong on the same day but it was a long day out and very hectic. I used the Spa and it was nice. The beach is quite secluded and I did not see anyone use it when I was there. Not sure how good it is. Didnt have time to use the kid club as well but I gather that it is good.The best thing I like is the staff who are all very friendly, helpful and make you feel special.
All in all a very recommendable property. If I go to Phuket again I would choose this property.

Room Tip: I stayed at the Penthouse which had 3 bedrooms and a swimming pool. Also had a view of the lily pond and Jungle Splash with a peek of the ocean. I loved it. I suppose the villas will be better.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Hans and Family

Warm Greetings from Phuket to Muscat

Thank you ever so much for taking your time to share your recent experience here on Tripadvisor and it is great to hear that you and your family had such a good time. I am happy that my Team was excellent and made you feel special. On behalf of my Team, thanks again for your kind words and we are looking forward to welcome you back again soon.