Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket
$127
Agoda.com
$248
Marriott
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa(Mai Khao)(Great Value!)
$155
  • Pool
$93
$86
HolidayInn.com
$407
Coriacea Boutique Resort(Mai Khao)(Great Value!)
$185
$65
Trip.com
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa(Mai Khao)(Great Value!)
$183
$179
Agoda.com
$538
Orbitz.com
1,290 results
All reviewswater parksplash junglesunset breezethe penthousethe club loungefree entrydeluxe family residenceclose to the airportred mangosunset restaurantluxury bedroombuggy driverskids loveitalian restaurantegg stationkids clubfamily holiday
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The expectations went down the drain from the moment we landed at Phuket International Airport. No pickup hence we had to arrange for our own transport to the Resort. We arrived at a so called 5 tar Resort were basically nobody attends to welcome you. I was surprised and was expecting that at least 1 staff would attend to us to show us around, take care of the check in but none of this was the case. No welcome drink, no briefing, had to wait for appr 4 hours before the room was made available. This was very surprising as other guest whom I saw arrive at a later stage did get the proper treatment. Later I learned that these were russian guests and as the owner is russian I believe they are treated differently then others. Odd but true. Having said that, the resort is mainly occupied by russian tourists. All in all not a problem but the majority of russians didn't showcase any manners towards others tourists or the hotel staff and I believe this has reflected negatively on the usual Thai friendliness as even the staff of the resort seemed cold and unfriendly.
The first evening of our stay we dined at the Thai Restaurant of the resort. Never in my life have I eaten such bad Thai Food and the money spend was definitely not worth it.
Flies are everywhere in the resort, especially in the restaurant areas. I am not referring to a couple of flies but entire swarms. One afternoon we decided to eat at Coffee-M and one of my family members had to swat of the flies in order for the others to be able to eat. Simply disgusting.
The pool bar is another disappointment. It was playing the same songs over and over again. Believe it was a disc with 20 songs that was played the entire day. Gets annoying after a while. The service of the bartender was poor. Half of the time he wasn't around and when he was he forget most of the order.
And to end everything, the hotel doesn't make any transport arrangements to the airport. Guests are supposed to make there own arrangements. Is this a 5 star treatment? Don't think so.

I have never had such a poor experience and based upon the above I would not rate this a 5 star hotel. At max 2-3 star. I have received much better services in some of the 3 star hotels that I have stayed in the past. I will never return to this resort and neither will I recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank RayBeks
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear Mr. Beks

Greetings from Phuket

It is truly sorry to read your feedback from your current stay with us and it is clearly something disappointing to hear. However, allow me to get some points from your review corrected. We do have transportation to and from the airport, which like most other Hotels in Phuket, need to be booked in advance and yes unfortunately we are not able to offer a free of charge shuttle due to local arrangements. We were not able to find a booking request in this regards on the reservation correspondents. As well you arrival time was in the morning and as check out time is not until noon, the room was only available at around 2pm which is our official check in time, as well as far as I am aware you did spent the waiting time already enjoying our Waterpark and again, there is no mention of an early check in with your correspondence. We are not owned by a Russian owner, rather British owned and Thai managed, we do have certainly guests from Russia which is not something new in Phuket. The Thai Restaurant just opened his doors a few days before your arrival and the feedback so far is nothing but good for service and food quality. Coffee N Me, as clearly signed before entrance is neither operated or managed by Centara, so I am not able to comment on this fact.

For the service issue you mentioned, contrary to the majority of the latest reviews which clearly indicate otherwise, I will certainly take it on board and discuss with my team. For any reader of the reviews, please do not wait after you check out if something need to be rectified. We are here for you 24/7, otherwise it is simply too late for us to assist. As well, for any request like transfer or early check in, please contact us/me anytime before, so we can clarify and arrange.

Again thank you for your comments and I sure hope you will give us a second chance in the future and please contact me directly for any further assistance. email: gmcgwp@chr.co.th

Kind Regards

Reviewed December 10, 2012

From arrival to departure, everything was great. The entire staff we came in contact with were attentive and friendly. The whole family enjoyed Splash Jungle, and the pool. The buffet breakfast had improved greatly since our last stay 6 months ago. Highly recommend if you have kids that enjoy water; pool, beach, water park......

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SweetStuff_20

Warm Greetings from Phuket

Thank you ever so much for your kind review and especially I am truly pleased and so is my Team, that you gave us a second chance. It is fantastic to hear, that we were able to make such a jump forward in comparison to your previous visit. Feedback as yours shows that we are clearly on the right path and not only trying to get better, but actually are improving and continue to do so with your encouragement. Truly happy you had a great time with us.

I sure hope we are able to welcome you back in the near future to look after you and your family again with our utmost hospitality.

Thanks again for your warm words.

Kind Regards

Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is recommend for family with children. We can enjoy water park as fun as we can untill it close at 6 pm. Then we joy at the beach pool ...so nice . This time we stay delux suit 2 beds room this room type have all facility (kitchen : microwave, oven, refrigerator , dish , knife etc.) if someone want to cooking this hotel is your answer. They have in room washing machine too. I will come back this hotel for sure.

• Stayed: October 2012
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Warm Greetings from sunny Phuket

Thank your for your great comments here on Tripadvisor and we do appreciate your kind words. It is always fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us and it is a pleasure to share this feedback with my Team. We are all looking forward to welcome you back in our Resort to have another great family holiday in the future and if you know your travel times, please contact us before anytime to look after you even better.

With Best Wishes

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We had a great time at this hotel. We stayed there with our timeshare and we really enjoyed the resort. Yes the planes can be heard, however we did not mind and found it a bit of a novelty. Very quiet location, which is what we were after. We would highly recommend the resort for family’s as the water theme park will keep the kids busy every day. Service was excellent and we will be coming back.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Peter

Warm Greetings from Phuket

Thank you for your warm review and it is great to hear that you and your family did enjoy your holiday with us. Even better to hear and to know, that you will visit us again in the future for another joy ride with the family.

Please let us know when your travels will bring you back to Phuket and we certainly will make it another memorable stay.

With very Best Wishes from the sunny Island

Reviewed November 19, 2012

My husband and I recently started our honeymoon at the Centara Grand. We booked this via our family timeshare. As a background, we were looking for a relaxing start to our tour of Asia, not in the center and craziness of Phuket. This hotel is situated on the quiet side of Mai Khao beach. I highly recommend staying on this side if you are looking for quieter, pristine beaches. If you are there for a party, this side of the island is not for you.

The staff at the hotel was very friendly, especially at the Italian restaurant on property. There is a tour desk in the lobby area, where they have some of the best tours available. We took an all day tour of main tourist attractions, and it was private with our own tour guide and driver. Much better than any group tour on a large bus.

The rooms are spacious. We had a one bedroom, with separate living room, two televisions, decent size bathroom and kitchenette. The bed was fairly comfortable. I think the room could have been cleaned a bit more (such as the floors), but overall, we were pleased.

The pool is beautiful. It is a large infinity pool, with cabanas, lounge chairs, kids pool and overlooks the Andaman Sea. It was very nice to sit in and stare out into the Sea.

A buffet breakfast is included with the room. I am a picky eater and was not a fan of the food. Much had meat (I only eat fish), so I had limited choices and often ate steamed rice and some fruit for breakfast. There is also nightly themed buffet dinners offered. I do not recommend these. Instead, I recommend ordering from the menu, or going to the upstairs Italian restaurant, which is nicer and a more romantic experience.

The main flaw with this hotel (and one reason I would not return) is the proximity to the airport. Although convenient, the runway is virtually next to the pool/restaurant area. All day, you can see and hear planes arriving and departing, and not just in the distance. You can hear it almost as though you are on board the plane. At night while falling asleep it wasn't really a problem, but it can definitely disrupt the peacefulness of relaxing by the pool.

Overall, this was a moderate hotel (non-luxury as the other hotels on our tour were). For an affordable option, it is ok, but please take heed of my note of the noise and food.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Andreas K, General Manager at Grand West Sands Resort & Villas Phuket, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Warm Greetings to California

I thank you for your warm review and it is nice to know you choose us as part of your Honey Moon, please accept my belated congratulations as well. I am very pleased to read all your good and positive feedback and will share this gladly with my Team, naturally as well your comment about our breakfast offer to our Chef. We do offer a full American Breakfast with lots of choices in regards of breads and pastries, plus Asian foods. However let’s see what our Chef comes up with for new none meat choices. I can see that your overall experience was actually a very positive one, however yes, we are close to the Airport and that’s something we are not able to change. There were suggestions about a noise reducing wall once, however I doubt due to restrictions this is possible. Luckily a lot of our guests do actually like to watch the planes and the noise is in general limited as the airport itself has only limited capacity. For the night sleep, yes all our windows are double glazed so there should not be any interruption at all. If we come up with a solution I promise to invite you back one day, to see if it works.

Again thank you ever so much for your kind words and staying with us.

With Best Wishes from Phuket