“Truly 5 star service & resort but boring location ”

Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Mai Khao
Adelaide, Australia
“Truly 5 star service & resort but boring location ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

We landed in phuket late at night so we checked in at this resort as it was nearby the airport and had great reviews. The staff were highly attentive, warm & welcoming. They acknowledged us straight away, assisted us with our bags & made us feel very comfortable. We stayed in a regular deluxe room & we had excellent facilities. The resort wasn't overly crowded which was great. The hotel lacked in it's location as there was nothing to do nearby (that's not the hotels fault though) oh- and the buffet breakfast was by far the best I've ever had- they made fresh fruit juices & smoothies in the morning which added to the relaxing experience. Beautiful hotel, beautiful staff, just a bad location :)

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jaykaydog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

We just got back from a 5 night stay at the Renaissance and we were blown away with the service we received. We travelled with our 16 month old son and the staff were always friendly towards us, and especially towards our son. When we arrived at breakfast each morning a high chair and cutlery for our baby was always promptly brought over to us. The breakfast buffet was amazing and the eggs benedict was to die for. A huge selection of food to choose from.

There are 2 pools, a kids pool with a water slide, and an adults pool that the kids were always welcome at. The adults pool even has a shallow area for the kids to play. Next to the kids pool is a kids club/indoor play area. We only visited once for a quick play but our son had a lot of fun.

There is a free shuttle every half hour to the JW Marriott and we were able to use their pool which is amazing and huge for the kids with different areas to play. A short walk from the JW Marriott is the Turtle Village which has a grocery store and pub and a few other stores. It doesn't have much we only went for groceries.

We were also given vouchers for free tapas and smoothies at Sala, the resort next door, which we thoroughly enjoyed whilst laying on day beds overlooking the ocean. The beach is too rough to swim in but we preferred the pools. The pool staff are great, they always brought us icy cold water and towels.

There isn't much to do in this area, it is mainly resorts so I would recommend splitting your stay and going somewhere else, or going for a day trip to see more of what Thailand has to offer. But we did find some local restaurants down the road which is a must. The locals are extremely friendly and always gave our son lots of attention whilst we ate. The local food is amazing and very cheap compared to the resort.

The room was nice with free bottles of water everyday. The shower had a built in seat which I found really handy to wash my son. The room came with a minibar, kettle, iron and ironing board, and hair dryer, everything you need for your stay.

We tried the room service churros one night and they were amazing. The Sandbox was also great for a casual meal and drinks. They always had a special of the day and cocktail of the day. We also tried the Thai restaurant one night. There seemed to be a lot of reserved tables but we were fine to get a table without a reservation. We enjoyed the food at every restaurant we tried.

We will definitely be back to the Renaissance in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank AllieM85
Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 6 nights at the hotel. Its a beautiful, not too big resort at the end of mai khao beach.

Very relaxing with great service! Dont expect any beach vendors or similar. It seems mai khao beach is the most quiet and secluded place on phuket. Just what i was looking for.

With children i would recommend the jw marriott just 5 mins away, but for a romantic trip it cant get better. Book the pool villa for even more privacy;-)

Very close to the hotel there are some small tasty restaurants. The one we liked the most was called thiew soen. Great seafood!

Great vacation!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank shib0329
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

July 19th 2014 booked for 2 weeks. Stayed in Pool Villa... initially 517 but then changed to 514 (This is the best trust me on this one) 514 has got a much better view of the ocean and no trees in the garden.

Weather, 1st week lots of rain day and night and overcast... maybe couple of hours unbroken sunshine. 2nd week better. 1 day of semi clear skies. (Yes we did know it's low season)

The title sums up our feelings when writing this review and I'll explain why?

My wife and I took an age in our quest to find the best hotel for our holiday in Phuket and spent many hours if not days reviewing many different web sites and reading endless reviews left by others. This I hasten to add was to be my first visit to Phuket and sadly will also be my last having now returned.

Like many reviews of this hotel left by previous guests about this hotel I can concur with and dont get me wrong it is a nice hotel but personally we wouldnt return and here's why. Lets not forget, this is our opinion. Mid 30's to early 40's couple. (Just setting the scene ;-) ).

Ok here goes.

If you want nothing to do and I mean nothing to do..AT ALL..go to this hotel! There is absolutely nothing to do. Boredom sets in after day 1. If it rains its even worse. It's a very small hotel.

First impressions are wow. Reception area and to the left, a surreal floating shallow rock pool with a steep backdrop of lush palm trees and green dense foliage. Upon arrival we were whisked off by buggy to our Villa and checked in by one of the front desk staff, in our room via ipad! That's a nice personal touch.

Service by the way is top notch. Its a very personal type of hotel with the staff going out of their way to assist you. By the way Amm if you're reading this. You get 5 stars :-) (She's front desk manager). Maybe one reason for the personal service is because the hotel is very small. But credit due where earned.

The Villas are very nice and wait for it..peaceful but to be honest are not up to 5 star as they could do with a lick of paint....being made out of wood and in the "tropics" musn't be easy to maintain, however there are other areas, like exposed cabling, rotting wood, rust stains...etc etc. Picky you may say, but better to be for-armed as they say. Insects you expect but with ants marching through the lounge and up the walls followed by the odd cockroach or two....thats why we moved rooms! And no food was left out and all plates were washed after use to ensure no food evidence.

Breakfast was lovely. We sat out each morning eating breakfast on the decked area by the "lagoon" for want of a better word, feeding the fish our leftovers. Very tranquil. Served up until 1100hrs. Had everything you could ask for. Often we would take breakfast bits, juices, yoghurts etc back to the room and place it in the minibar for snacks later. Just take out the minibar items and place them on the shelf above, that way you wont get charged.

Oh before I forget tipping. They always always add a 10% service charge to everything and then 7% Govt tax on top. So remember if you give a tip of 20Bhts to a waiter/ress you will still be paying another 10% service charge on top when you come to check out.

The pool is far too small for the hotel, there is a smaller kids pool but is never used so the kids are in the main pool.

The gym...well I was only one there and went most days...when boredom crept in. I dont understand the principal here. So the hotel has a spa. This consists of a big area of the hotel...which offers....massage or beauty treatments. Payment for this service is sky high. Massage about 3000bht...in Phuket or Patong town 300bhts..on the hotel grounds beach massage is 500bhts? (Marriot is 400bhts) What I dont understand is why do you put a jacuzzi and steam room in the mens changing rooms of the gym and a jacuzzi and sauna in the womens changing rooms. What happens if I wanted a sauna? and my wife wanted a steam? I bet 95% of guests didnt even know they existed because they dont use the gym. I will tell you how to get around it...go after midnight when everyones asleep..its open 24hrs. ;-)

Prices at the hotel are extortionate...we are not shy to spend and believe me my wife is good at it but even we were shocked...this is Thailand not the Savoy in London! Glass of Prosecco nearly £12? Im sorry but just because we are a captured market due to the location so remote from shops dont take the perverbial. Bottle of local beer by the time you add tax and service nearly £4. I had an icecream 3 scoops, nearly £10?

The Renaissance isn't alone in the price war...all the hotels on the stretch are equally as expensive...we experienced them. Although Renaissance was joint No.1 for prices.

The taxis outside the hotels are run by a mafia and do not allow others to pick up. They charge 700bhts as a minimum...We used the Hotel shuttle to town which cost around 1400bhts return (£25). Believe me you need to get out and the shuttle or taxi is the only option. You can use the hotel cycle bikes but you will only go to the end of the road and back which will take you all of 15 mins and then what...?

Phuket and Patong and prity similar...shops selling same stuff, T-Shirts, Souvenirs etc. Patong is geared up more for the entertaining and Phuket is quieter. To spend a day at either is long enough. If you go to Phuket go feed the Monkeys at the View Point. Grab a tut tut pay no more than 100bhts. The last shuttle bus from Patong to the hotel leaves at 2300 hrs. You'll get a shuttle service timetable at the hotel. Last shuttle from Phuket is 2115hrs or there abouts.

Patong after 6pm is rather seedy, its abit like Soho in London. Go for the thrill but it wont last long...Ping pong everywhere!

Turtle Village shopping arcade (Mai Khao beach) is a place to kill maybe 20 mins max of your day. You'll get a guy come up to you to get you to join the Anatara Holiday vacation club. We took him up on the offer and went to the presentation. You are given a voucher of 400bhts or a trip to Krabi for spending 1.5hrs of your time listening to a sales pitch. We took the voucher and didnt buy following the presentation.( Doesn't add up what they are trying to sell) My wife used the 4000 bhts voucher plus paid an additional 120bhts for an hour head massage at Anatara Spa? (£76). This was one of the cheapest treatments.
In the Turtle Village Arcade you get a Leather shop, English Pub, Souvenir Shops, Money exchange, Ice cream parlour, Noodles, Sunglasses shop and a few more all of which you are going to pay more than in the main towns.

The restaurants at Renaissance we only tried a couple of times but were nice albeit pricey again...sorry for repeating myself but you need to be aware. In my opinion people will wise up that Phuktet is no longer that holiday for a bargain and will go elsewhere.

The Mai Khao Beach is very very very long but narrow with alot of coastal erosion, trees falling into the sea together with plastic, glass debris washed up. To go into the sea would be like grabbing a spitting cobra, blindfolded...you just dont do it...Its very rough and very very strong. Even up to your knees the drag would pull you in.. (Don't let your kids go near it)

I dont want to sound like im whinging, Im just being honest. After 8 nights we transferred to the JW Marriott and stayed in the Ocean Pool Villa....WOW. The room knocked spots off the villa at the Renaissance...(sorry Renaissance). The Marriott wins both in terms of room comparison and life. There is no life at the Renaissance. Perhaps there is at High Season....but what do they do?

Having said all this the Renaissance is a beautiful hotel, it just lacks facilities, entertainment and atmosphere and if this is the best Phuket has to offer...then its not for us. If it was a book it would have an eye catching colourful front cover and exciting title but when you start reading you'll wish you'd picked up something else.

At one juncture my wife got excited that there may be life after all because a leaflet suggested a Karaoke evening but only to be disappointed that it was simply a room you could hire for Karaoke? That said it all.!

To summarise....Staff are always smiling and ultra nice, but if you want life the hotel has no soul.

No point in posting my 5 pictures of the hotel and grounds as they will only repeat what others have taken.

Is it for families, no! But to be honest I'm not even sure who its geared up for. Then there were the business travellers with the laptops in the restaurants..

Sorry Renaissance, you didnt win us over at all.

Room Tip: Villa 514...Best ocean view from over the back wall. Im not even sure the Ocean View Villas have muc...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank MonandCam
RHI_HotelManagement, Director of Rooms at Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write us review. Your comments are very valuable in helping us to ensure that your expectations are met each visit.

We regret to learn that you were not impressed with some aspects of your stay experience and for this we must profusely apologize. Please rest assured that the Management Team has been briefed to look in to the areas mentioned and that we will certainly do our best to improve.

With regards to the price and service charge, we can assure you that we align with the market price for similar type of resort in Phuket. We value your insight as well travelled guest and that we will take corrective measurement. While the hotel location is distance away from town and action places, we understand our discoverer guest expectation and that we will work even harder to bring lively culture and activities to the resort.

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We truly appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us so that we may continue to deliver exceptional service in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should you need to discuss your experience further.

Yours sincerely,

Adanaan (Andy) Chalachol
Director of Rooms
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

During my first trip to Thailand, I stayed at this location for three nights, they put me up one of the wonderful villas. I really enjoyed the peace and quiet. I feel at turtle village and two medics came to my villa and went to the extreme to make sure I was comfortable. Truly an excellent location.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank CharlesDXB
RHI_HotelManagement, Director of Rooms at Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 4, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa with us. Please allow us to respond to your review in English.

We are most pleased to learn that you had enjoyed the hotel's service and facilities and your kind comments have been passed on to the staff particularly Nancy, Amm and Lilly, they all appreciate the recognition that you have given and are always delighted to be at your service.

Adanaan (Andy) Chalachol
Director of Rooms
Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

I frequent Phuket, it's like if I have no idea where to go or take a break, then I will go Phuket. Normally we stayed at our favorite resort at Karon Nui beach but this time it's full..... Too many other place to choose from so I let my daughter to choose, and she chose this resort and it's a no regret... The staff are wonderful especially the F&B, breakfast is generous, the rooms are well appointed modern setting which make my wife does not want to leave the resort, surrounding are quiet and peaceful.

Yes it's a far from the party places like Patong but since we drove here from Malaysia so that's not a problem. The sea is nice but too rough, perhaps it's the season this time of the year, no swimming allowed and I wouldn't dare to.... So we just play with the big waves at the edges and that's enjoyable enough.

All in all, it's a beautiful place for those looking for peace and tranquility!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Amidis M
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

This hotel was so beautiful and amazing to stay in. I must visit Thailand again and if i do i will be coming to this hotel again. The staff were amazing and always there to help. Loved the complimentary drink they gave when you check into your room, very tasty. 10/10 hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Amari Phuket
#2 of 319 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,192 reviews
Phuket Marriott Resort and Spa, Nai Yang Beach

Been to Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!