“Surprisingly good”

Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Mai Khao
Hong Kong, China
“Surprisingly good”
Reviewed June 19, 2014

We have a small one and just wanted to go somewhere from HK which was close and relatively inexpensive. We managed to come across a good deal on CX Holidays (Cathay Pacific's package holiday website) for 7 nights inclusive of flight - it was shoulder season thus the reason for the lower price. However, it all worked out well as the resort, being a place with a couple hundred rooms was practically deserted so we, and a few other lucky guests, got to enjoy the peace and tranquility of the area.

First things first, service. We arrived with our little one desperate for food so we asked to get the room and check in at the same time. All was rushed and unprepared our side but the lovely lady at the front desk fully understood and immediately took us to the room so my wife could feed the baby. This was the quickest ever check in - very impressed. Also, before we got there we told the hotel we needed a baby cot. Lo and behold, it was there, all set up with nice fresh sheets for our little baby boy. We did have a couple issues though; 1) somehow a cockroach managed to get into our room and I managed to kill it (sorry to all insect lovers) and I complained about this. What we got was a plate of cakes (less than I expected). However, we did start having 2, 3 and even 4 cleaners clean our room from then on and there were no more issues. I can commend them on their response (although I would expect nothing less either) 2) a non-issue on our part, we told them about a leaking kettle and asked them to replace it. Not a big issue but once again that was greeted with another plate of cake (this time, an appropriate gesture). To me, this is a management team who take comments seriously and I was thoroughly impressed with this attitude. All the staff (especially at breakfast and the guys by the pool) were super courteous and well trained; they made our stay all the more enjoyable.

Secondly, our room. Our pool villa looked Polynesian in design with a roof what looked like an upside down rowing boat. Inside this translated into a very high ceiling which was bright and airy. The room was generously sized and possibly one of the largest baths (and bathroom) I have ever seen. The room itself was tastefully decorated with a large and comfy bed, a nice sofa and table to have in-room dining and everything else needed was present including espresso machine, kettle, fully loaded minibar and radio for your iphone. No complaints.

Thirdly, the resort. The resort itself has 150 rooms and 30 suites. It's not a huge place so that is quite a lot of rooms. However, due to the time of year that we went, it was close on empty. They were refurbishing a couple blocks so that meant even less guests! Anyway, the reception area has that zen calm about it and was a very welcoming introduction to the resort. Being then taken by golf buggy along the outskirts of the resort didn't really give you a feel for the place as you travelled past the blocks of rooms but when you got closer to the villas, we knew it was a nice place. If you get a room rather than a villa, be sure to get one closest to the pool, the ones near the man made lagoon area might have quite a few mosquitos! The pool area is very nice and is close to the restaurant so it's very nice to chill and have lunch. They come round with complimentary afternoon drinks which was very pleasant. We went to the spa whilst there and I think that it was a bit expensive for what it is. The massage was nice enough but nothing special and there were no other facilities such as sauna/ steam room etc. There is a thai massage place next to the pool restaurant and you only pay 1/6th of the price so I would recommend that over the spa.

Fourth, the food. With a newbie on board, we basically didn't leave the resort apart from once to go to Turtle Village (by the way, don't bother, rubbish restaurants and rubbish shops). We had the burger, prawn pad thai (order by the pool - it's different to the one in the room), the BBQ chicken, the crispy salmon, the ceasar salad, etc. All very very good - this was actually the thing that surprised me most. The food was excellent quality. They also have specials on at the Doppio cafe where you can get a pie (it's very nice and huge by the way) and a glass of wine for about US$15 - bargain! Breakfast had a good assortment of pastries, fruit, juices, western, thai and vegetarian and as it was inclusive, it was certainly good value.

One annoyance for me was the beach. It was lovely to hear the crashing waves and the sand there was fine and soft. However, the hotel always kept a red flag up so I didn't dare go swim in the sea for fear of being dragged out and not returning. I have definitely swum in rougher seas but that put a psychological dent in me and wiped out any confidence I had that it would be OK. I wish they would put some lifeguards there or at least tell you certain times of the day are OK to swim.

Otherwise, we really enjoyed our stay there and would recommend it to any family with kids. There is also a kids area where you can drop the kids off and go and enjoy yourselves. Also, they have nannies there which we employed for an evening or two so we could have dinner.

Room Tip: We had pool villa no 15. Although not an Ocean View villa, you could see the sea over the wall so a...
3 Thank HKFooey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

Just spent 3 nights at Renaissance Phuket Resort and spa and had the best time. My first experience in Thailand and could not prise this hotel enough. After a long flight from UK it was very nice to be checked quickly and efficiently.
Rooms clean very spacious and relaxing.(big bath tub in rooms)
Staff very friendly said hello every time they saw you could do enough for you.
We stayed b&b large range of food and freshly squeezed juices.
Very quiet hotel and away from it all. If your looking for hustle and bustle then this is not your type of hotel. But if you want beautiful hotel and rooms friendly staff then definitely book!!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Beautiful hotel in a beautiful place. Good restaurants, good rooms, but a great beach location and the friendly/helpful staff are what I will remember. It really was a slice of paradise and somewhere I would certainly revisit.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Flying510
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Renaissance for 8 nights at the start of May. Being low season, we got a great rate via Zuji which included breaky.

We booked a deluxe room (their entry level room) and we very impressed with it. Didn't feel like we had missed out by not upgrading. We had also emailed the hotel direct to request a third floor room close to the pool if possible. Warm, friendly greeting upon arrival. We were made to feel like royalty and very welcome. Upon checkin, we were asked to wait an hour so our requested room could be made ready. I really appreciated this. Many hotels will just assign you a room if your preferred area/room is not ready to just get the job done, so I was really happy when we were given the option of waiting for the room we had requested.

Our room was immaculate. Comfy bed and pillows, daybed to stretch out on and a small table. Very spacious and well thought out. The housekeeping staff were fantastic, leaving extra towels and water (we only had to ask the first day and every day after that it was automatic). We even had little towel animals on a few days.

The service in the hotel is absolutely wonderful. Professional, courteous and helpful. Hubby had been sick for several days with a cold and a lovely lady at breakfast (sorry, can't remember her name but she was one of the supervisors) made him a special pot of tea to help him feel better. She then offered it to him every morning after that. Such a nice touch, especially when you are feeling a bit under the weather.

The pool is a nice size. Not massive but large enough to accommodate everyone. Occupancy was at 95% on the first three days of our stay however, we always managed to get a lounger by the pool. Bar staff were fabulous too, and soon learnt our favourite drinks. Always quick to bring over towels when we arrived, helping with our umbrella and providing cold water and towels. Sipping cocktails in the pool watching the sunset over the beach was just amazing.

We ate at three restaurants onsite and had room service three times. The quality and variety of the food was excellent. Room service was speedy and hot. Breakfast is simply amazing! Probably one of the best buffets I have seen. You can eat inside in the cool or outside overlooking the lagoon. Such a nice start to the morning.

Gym is small but adequate. Quite quiet with no issues getting onto equipment. There is a really nice Jacuzzi and steam bath in the change room (one female and one male) however it was a bit too hot for me.

The hotel is quite isolated which suited us perfectly. This is not the place to go for partying or spending every day sightseeing. Patong is probably 45 mins away. If you want to relax in a quiet area, then this hotel is definitely suitable.

There are a handful of local restaurants to the right hand side of the hotel (down the beach, past the Sala hotel). The hotel runs a free shuttle to it's sister hotel the JW Marriot, and from there Turtle Village is a short walk. Nothing much here besides a pub, minimart, two currency exchange booths and a handful of small shops.

All in all, we had a simply wonderful stay. We can highly recommend the Renaissance for it's quiet location, quality of rooms and food, and absolutely wonderful service. Would definitely return. We travelled as a couple but the resort is suitable for those with small children (kids club onsite). I would expect that older kids and teenagers might get a bit bored in such a quiet location. A perfect spot for a honeymoon.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are really good, we didn't feel the need to upgrade. We requested a room on the thi...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank stephfennell
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This establishment is truly worthy of all the accolades it has received. My friends and family know me as someone extremely exacting when it comes to service and food/beverage standards. I rarely write reviews because I've yet to find something worthy of the highest recommendation. This happens to be my first TA review because I have (finally) found a place I can rave about and heartily recommend to all travellers who seek hospitality (and a buffet breakfast) of the highest quality. You will come away, converted to the Renaissance culture of excellence where nothing is too difficult or small for the staff to attend to. My sincere thanks to Lily (front reception), Dear (front Office), Piti (Chef) and others who often went beyond their normal call of duty to ensure that their guests experience an unforgettable stay, no matter the duration. Mr Bauer, sir, you have assembled a dream team of hotel staff that any hotel GM will definitely be jealous of.

3 Thank DrKVSLiew
RHI_HotelManagement, Director of Rooms at Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 24, 2014

On behalf of Mr. Bauer, our General Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write us reviews. We are delighted that your stay with the Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa was enjoyable.

We value your insights as a well-travelled guest. Your kind comment has even encouraged us to ensure we always do our level best in all areas. Our team is committed to providing a high level of service and facilities and we are delighted that this was transpired throughout your stay. We all appreciate your kind recognition particularly Lily, Dear and Chef Piti who pleased to be at your service.

We hope that your future plans to Phuket include Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back with warm and gracious Thai hospitality.

chicago
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We stayed here For a week. Theres not one negative thing i can say about this hotel. It is Amazing. The Service, Staff, food, rooms, everything is 10*
Buffet Menager (Forget her name) is one great lady! Little Cristiano says hello:)
They have delicious breakfast buffet, the sand box and thai rest are lovely also. We will definitely be back!

4 Thank patrycja m
Dear Valued Guest,

Our team is committed to providing a high level of service in all areas and we are delighted that this was transpired throughout your stay. Your comment has definitely been shared with Jinny, our Restaurant Manager and all associates.

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I can't recommend this hotel enough! I've got 2 more nights of my 8 nights stay and I am planning my next trip back here. Everything is to perfection. When planning this holiday, we were tossing between the JW Marriott and Renaissance and we made the right choice by coming here. Peaceful and tranquil. Little touches like the daily complimentary afternoon tea cakes brought to our room, endless supply of bottled water (Evian is chargeable), welcome fruit basket and dried fruit in a jar. After visiting the JW Marriott, there is no comparison. You will soon realize when you used the complimentary shuttle service.The hotel runs a tuk tuk shuttle between JW Marriott and Renaissance which we used to get to those tiki hut restaurants and to the turtle village.
Breakfast is really good with big variety and we sit, relax and pick on the buffet for at least 2 hours. I can't comment on the lunch and dinner here as I've been dining at the row of Tiki hut type restaurants 5mins walk or quick tuk tuk ride from the hotel. Cheap and good food there which I'll review shortly after I complete this.
Welcome drink was such a nice touch and was delish!
We bought snack supplies for the mini mart at the Turtle village not too far from here. Comparing with AU prices it was reasonable but we later made a trip to a 7-11 and things were cheaper there.
We rented a car from the hotel for 1200 baht which we used to drive around town , Patong and to the central festival shopping mall. Patong was not for us:) It was too chaotic and confirmed my choice of staying at The Renaissance.
This is where you want to relax.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor near the pool. We would pick this side of the hotel again for fast...
3 Thank Grace C
Dear Valued Guest,

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We are most pleased to learn this has transpired throughout. We happy to read on your holiday perfection and that we were able to exceed your expectations.

We hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to Phuket.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 327 in Patong

Been to Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!