“Very relaxing, great decor and wonderful service”

Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed this property. It is a great beach resort with a beautiful pool area. I traveled here with family members as part of a bigger vacation and we were very happy with our choice. Mai Khao is removed from the hustle and bustle of some other Phuket destinations but it was just what we were looking for. The calming decor and fabulous bathrooms of the deluxe rooms were well designed. Staff were very helpful and everyone we encountered had a good command of English. We were treated very well. Complimentary shuttles to and from the JW Marriott allowed us to be dropped off at the local restaurants on the way where we enjoyed fabulous food each evening. The hotel also have great restaurants if you prefer to dine on property. My only regret is not staying longer. Upon leaving the hotel one of our suitcases was not loaded into the car service. It was just one of those things that happen occasionally and clearly our mistake for not counting the bags too. We realized when we arrived at the airport and called back to the hotel who sent the luggage in a taxi. We appreciated their response to our dilemma. I would recommend this hotel to those wishing to come to Phuket to a quiet resort.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights. Overall experience was great. We got an upgrade to Villa with private pool. Nice pool, spacious bath tub and nicely decorated room. The hotel located at Mai Khao which has beautiful and tranquil beach.

For a day we decided not to do excursion trip and spent the whole day at the hotel. Enjoyed the pool so much. While we're lounging by the pool the staff provided tasty watermelon iced milk for free :-)

We tried Loca Vore, Taikieng and Sand Box restaurants. Good food and very very friendly staff. Breakfast also great. Love the freshly squeezed R active juice (apple, carrot and ginger juice) and banana crisp. They even have "Good Bloody Morning" (Bloody Mary) for breakfast!! Haha!! I was so surprised.

In and out the hotel can be difficult. Long journey to Phuket town but since most days, we did day trips, it didn't matter. Our first day, we got stuck in the hotel, the weather was bad and we couldn't do trip to Racha Island as planned. We booked shuttle bus from the hotel to Phuket town. 500 baht for round trip per person.

We hope next time we can visit Similan and Surin island

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Kadek_Yulia
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My aim for this holiday was to find a beach resort that was quite chilled, while providing the right mixture of software/hardware to allow me to feel well pampered. If you share the same aim then this hotel will be perfect.

For the relative low price paid for a 5* resort the Rennaissance is essentially very good value.

The pros include:

*excellent service. The Hotel staff were without exception all friendly and professional.

*the bedroom (I stayed in the basic room) was delightful. Very modern and clean, as if it had just been decorated in the last 6 months. House cleaning paid around 3 visits to the room during the day to replenish water, make the bed etc. I particularly found the bed to be first class, and the sofa in the corner was a nice add on. Soundproofing good.

*location. I wanted remote and this is what I got. Echoing what people have said before me, this place is suitable for couples or those looking for tranquility. If you want chaos then head to the usual tourist centres. The hotel is right on Mai Khao beach, along which you will bump into few people. Reminder that in summer months treacherous to swim in this area.

*the food. In both Sandbox and Thai restaurant on the floor above I found the food to be delicious. The breakfast assortment was also ok. Vegetarian options available.

Cons:

*food. If I was to pick one area that could be improved it is def here. Although the food served in the hotel was quite tasty, there was far too little choice in terms of numbers of eateries. As said above this is a remote location. I was hoping there would be more Thai food on offer. If like me you plan on staying for a longer period of time then the breakfast could be improved by being more varied and including more meaty dishes. Granted this could be said for the bulk of hotels.

Also a suggestion for the Sandbox would be to install 3 or 4 fly repellent machines. The number of flies in this area while eating was too much. At the same time a cover of some sort could be placed over the food when located in your table.

*Swimming pool. A real beauty of a pool, but an additional pool would be well received. Also tended to be too much noise in this area due to young kids playing (even though there was a separate kids pool located in the centre if the complex. Loud music (some of which was Massey at times) belted out the entirety of each day, which could be rather annoying.
Notable omissions include - no lifeguard beside pool, and not a single bin to dispose of waste.

*gym. Basic. Could be doubled in size and include more weights resistance machines.

Comparison with JW:

Whilst staying at the Renaissance you are able to avail of a shuttle service to the JW that runs ever half hour. I visited on a few occasions as guests are able to use their restaurants, swimming pools etc.

JW is nowhere near as good value, and certainly not as modern. The gym was bigger and better in the JW though.

Overall:

I've aimed for balance above. Though my overall verdict is that the Renaissance is/was perfect for what I was after. I highly rate this resort.

This is by far the best beach holiday I've ever had, and was largely down to the renaissance getting the balance just right.

I will visit again.

Room Tip: *hire a bicycle from reception for free *reception can organise a scooter for only 350 baht per da...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank heyjudehey
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Although the ride from the airport to the resort seemed far and the distance from Patong to the hotel seemed further, I think all of it didn't seem important and faded out by the excellent service at the resort.

The ambience, the cleanliness and the rooms were excellent (at all times).. The most important thing which made our stay memorable was the staff. You have the best staff we have ever come across in our life. Right from the time we got out of the car when we arrived till the time we said good bye to them, they were always smiling, courteous and very very down to earth. From the lovely good mornings to the good nights. Every staff that we came across (may even be the gardner) would always smile and greet us. Not to mention everyone always behaved very professionally. Not sure if its the small town thing as against properties in metros, but the warmth that the staff brings across to any guests was simply the highlight of our stay.

The breakfast spread in Loca Vore and the romantic dinners at Sandbox - everything was superb. We thoroughly enjoyed the massages by the beach watching the sun set and bring the night in.

Over all we had the most excellent and memorable stay at Renaissance Phuket and we will definitely want to return to this place.

Cheers!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Virrindra
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Overall, this hotel is great. Fantastic large room, with fabulous bathroom.

Another positive is the beach- fairly quiet and not overrun by tourists and children. Pool is decent, but some shade would help in the summer as the water can get fairly warm.
The happy hour at the resort is great.Buy 1 for the price of 2! Huge grounds!
The breakfast (as with most of asia) is great

On the negative side, location is a bit isolated. Not close to the town or anything else- pretty much forced to eat and pay resort prices for meals. Theres a decent Thai restaurant, but not much else besides that.

Hotel staff were great and helpful in organizing transfers to Krabi

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was our third stay at the Renaissance Phuket and we had high expectations after our first two stays here.
We need not have worried, from the pre arrival e mail, to the personal welcome back as our car pulled up outside the lobby our expectations were more than met. The resort is isolated but this was what we craved for. The room (we were upgraded to a Villa with a private plunge pool) was spectacular. A bath tub big enough for both of us, and a super private area to sunbathe. The beach and pool area is well manicured and full of lovely flowers and trees. The beach is unspoilt and empty, and although the sea was too rough to swim, the beach was somewhere lovely to walk.
The breakfast buffet is excellent, and the Thai restaurant one of the best we have experienced. If you need more food choice the Hotel runs a shuttle to the JW Marriott, which is a bigger hotel with 5 or 6 different places to eat and this was a good way to get a bigger variety.
Without exception the staff are caring, well trained and friendly, and Managers seem to spend much time asking guests if they are happy, and what they can do to make the stay more special.
We went to have a quiet time, and we did. I feel totally recharged and cannot wait to go back again sometime soon.
My one negative comment would be about the music around the public areas. Looped so you get the same thing over and over, and I think this is a Renaissance/Marriott brand thing. I hate it! When I am in a beautiful location I want to hear the sounds of the sea and the birds and the wind, I really do not want it blocked out with a Hotel chains choice of music. This aside the resort is wonderful and definitely on my top ten in the world list!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank markzz2
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The setting is picturesque. This on the very pretty Mai Khao beach which is towards the north of Phuket. And away from all the madness of Patong. But not too far away. The resort will be able to arrange a self-drive car and you can be in the Patong area in about 40 minutes pleasant driving. You can hire cycles and cycle around the Mai Khao area - a very quiet neighborhood (which includes the Marriott and the Anantara). The spa is very soothing and professionally done. There are about 3-4 restaurant/cafe options to choose from. But we especially liked the authentic Thai restaurant with the "Thai-style" seating on the balcony. Great views of the ocean as you feast on some spicy yellow curry. The staff are friendly and greet you everytime you walk past (typical Thai hospitality!). Rooms are spacious and well maintained. Maybe a notch below what I would call "total luxury" but very good nevertheless. I would pick this place everytime I go back to Phuket.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 328 in Patong
Phuket Marriott Resort and Spa, Nai Yang Beach

Been to Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!