“Greta place. Greta Beach, byt pricey food”

Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Mai Khao
västerås
“Greta place. Greta Beach, byt pricey food”
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Although Very close to Phuket airport (15 min drive), this place has nothing in common with the rest of Phuket - in a good way.
The facilities are fantastic. The beach is beautiful, although the rips can be a bit strong.
There are two pools- one bigger infinity pool down by the water and a shallow kids pool in the center of the complex.
The rooms are spacious and have the high standard you would expect from a resort in this range. Booking their cheapest room is definitely a good deal.

The only downside is the heavilly overpriced food and drinks.

It was fully booked the weekend we were there but felt far from it, so I can imagine it feeling a bit quite when not as busy.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
United States
Reviewed November 23, 2012

As background, I'm a Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite member. A week prior to my arrival I got an email from the hotel saying that because of my MR status I had been upgraded to a one-bedroom pool villa for the duration of my stay. I also got a late checkout before I even checked in (all arranged by email exchange).
Platinum benefits offered were: upgrade, late checkout, a complimentary bottle of wine as a welcome gift, free Internet, 20% discount on all restaurant, bar and room-service invoices. I had a rate that included breakfast, but I believe breakfast would have been free for me anyway.
The one bedroom pool villa is a fantastic "room" with its own personal pool, deck chairs and umbrella, all surrounded by a privacy fence. It felt wonderfully secluded and peaceful.
The staff were great always looking to help with any request however small.
Breakfast buffet was one of the best I've experienced.
Beach was great, long and uncrowned.
The resort is far away from the nightlife and crowds of Phuket. Seemed like the guests were more couples and families than young singles looking for nightlife.
Overall a great stay in a fantastic resort in a beautiful location.
I'm already planning my next trip back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Virginia
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We cannot say enough good things about this property! The staff are all amazing & the rooms are great. The views & ambiance are wonderful. It is quite possibly the most beautiful place I've ever stayed & that's saying something. The breakfast buffet, we all agreed, was the most delicious we've ever experienced, with food quality & variety being very-top-notch!

I wondered if we'd be bored, but never. There is such a feeling of peace here. Sunsets are such that, if you weren't actually here watching them, you'd swear they had to have touched up the photos, used color filters on the cameras, etc. It looks like something Thomas Kinkaid would paint! Unlike most beach resorts, it's not over-hyped & overcrowded. And the beach line does seem to go on & on forever in both directions. There are huge feathery evergreens (spruce? not sure) between your view of the sunset & the water unless you go right to the waterfront, but that only makes things MORE beautiful, framing the pinks & blues & purples just so.

We would rise around sunrise or before & sit out on the balcony & have coffee & look out at the pond with its fish, a big lizard, the herons, the waterfalls. Just so serene!

The gym is good & under-utilized so we were able to use equipment when & how long we wanted it. Not sure how this place would feel during the high season (Dec-Feb), but it was lovely in Nov.

We ate dinners at little hole-in-the-wall places a short walk from the property. They look a bit like shacks, but the food was great & cheap. Breakfast was included with our room (I have Marriott platinum status) & it was fabulous in selection & quality, easily the best buffet breakfast we've ever had. As a platinum perk, they brought us a bottle of wine & 2 fresh fruit plates & 2 glasses of tropical juice, on top of the lobby welcome with fresh & refreshing ginger drinks (so good after 36 hours of flying & layovers from the U.S.!), and every day they brought another little food gift. One day it was churros with chocolate dipping sauce. Another day it was a long tray of assorted pastries. Then it was a dessert fondue. A nice touch!

The Sandbox is a nice little restaurant right on the sand & it's a great place to go in late afternoon to watch the sun go down.

Beds are super-comfortable & bathrooms are deluxe.

In the U.S., it seems most beaches are either over-developed or owned privately. I can't think of another place where it felt this beautiful, where they hadn't ruined it with condos or high-rises or hotels blocking the views. Everything feels set back from the beach in the whole area, so that it's possible to enjoy these astonishing views.

I'm a loyal Marriott Rewards member & we do choose Marriotts whenever possible, & we've been at really spectacular properties in Paris, Orlando, Scottsdale, etc., but I'd say this is the best.

We were well taken care of! This is what a resort should be. The Thai staff is so friendly & willing to please. Yes, I know it's supposedly their jobs, but really it went way beyond that. I think the people are just amazingly friendly & kind & happy to do whatever they can.

As a matter of fact, my only hesitation in writing this review is that I’m afraid too many people will go to Phuket in general & this property in particular & the traffic & demand might ruin the idyllic feel of the place!

I'm kind of sorry we were "only" here for 9 days. It's been a great vacation.

By the way, we took a day-long tour through Phuket at Andaman; it was called Phang Nga Tour & it was door-to-door service & very high quality.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are probably excellent. I'd hoped for an upgrade to a villa, but I was glad o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank preplady
Singapore
Reviewed November 21, 2012

The earlier reviews were accurate. The hotel is new and in great condition, the beach was beautiful but the real winner in my mind is the staff that they have. The service level is high and everyone in the resort is well trained and sincere. The food variety could be better though as we stayed 5 nights, ate almost 12 meals there and felt like we ran out of options! The best food we thought we had were the grilled meats at the Sandbox. The standard there surprised us completely.

Our young infant son fell sick unfortunately during the second day there (we think its the seawater he drank accidentally) and remained so for the next four days. The concerns and care shown by the staff who knew were incredible. We were touched at the responses
and it helped us through a very tiring time. For those who want to get out of the resort, we highly recommend getting a car rented. Its much cheaper and phuket as an island is very easy to get around driving. The resort itself is far from everythng else but it didnt bother us as we have been there a number of times and aren't really the patong crowd type.

Great hotel and we will be back

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank AhweiSingapore
Hong Kong
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I never wrote a review but this time, the experience was terrible. I feel like I have to open an account just to warn others.

Time stayed: 16 to 19 Nov 2012
Rate: US$260 per night
Room: Double room (requested to change from Garden view to lagoon view)

What's good about this hotel? If you are looking to train your patient, temper, body language, the tolerant level of your skin, you are in a right place.

I've been to Phuket for over 10 times and every time was happy. Until I changed the hotel from Laguna Resort area to this one.

1. Bath and tap water
See the picture I attached here.
The color of the water is yellow like urine. When we confronted the manager, he kept saying their engineer had checked and was sure it's safe to use. And they got no complaint at all since they opened the hotel. My wife made him guarantee there would be absolutely safe to use it because she got a major toe injured and worried she would get infected. The Manager who was so sure before wouldn't guarantee but to check other room immediately and to see if the condition was the same. If not, they would change the room for us. But then, he came back 10 minutes later saying other room was also like that. So we have no choice but to trust him. The result was, my wife got allergy and there're red dot all over her body. So now I have to bring her to the clinic for prescription.

2. Bugs
Living flies fly around on our food, Dead flies in my toilet
Before I went, I sent an email to the hotel requesting a no bugs and lizard room. However, there's lizard in our balcony, dead and living flies inside our room.

Hotel Solution: Keep telling me the water is safe and there is nothing they can do to the bugs.
My wife was so sad and angry and asked if we could get a transfer to JW Marriot (same group as Renaissance) which was 10 minutes away. The answer was No because the water in JW was also yellow. End up my wife was so frustrated and asked for compensation. The manager offered a meal with the budget under US$109. Of course we took it. There's nothing we could do and nothing they would do. Even compare to the money we paid them, US$109 is nothing, you could only take it.

3. Plastic texture steak
The meal that the manager compensated us, the steak was horribly plastic. It wasn't the way they cooked it, it was the quality of the steak. I could barely cut it, not to mention to chew it. I felt like I was eating a steak gum. This steak worth US$26 plus tax and service charge if you are to order it.

4. Breakfast
Freshly cooked omelets was dry and had no taste. Flies & Birds were everywhere eating my food. I got one pancake back to my seat and I've to get the other immediately because flies were eating my first one.

5. Language Barrier
Basically the waiters level staff would say yes to everything and said no when they understood what I actually meant.

6. Impolite Receptionist
My driver suddenly refused to drive me from hotel to airport so I asked the staff to talk to the driver for me to see what happened. The male night shift staff who came was very rude and not helpful. He kept saying "I don't know why he wouldn't drive you... That's not our driver... I don't know why!!" At the end, I found out it was because the hotel area refused to let outside Taxi in to take guests to the airport so that you must take their local taxi.

7. Noisy ceremony
The first morning I was waken by a very loud Thai transitional music at 8:00am. They said there's a wedding ceremony. I didn't know a resort who hold a peaceful and quiet selling point would let such a noisy wedding happen. If I do, I would not have went there. I picked a place that's so far away from downtown, not because I wanted loud music, but because I wanted a quiet and peaceful place!

8. One thing is good about the hotel is: their in-room check-in was very fast. I do not know if it was because I've sent them email before I went, or they did have in-room check-in.

Anyway, I'm busy bring my wife to clinic. Good Luck to everyone who wants to stay there.

Room Tip: I would advise to pick somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Gordon C
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Single guy, last minute trip to Phuket after Goa turned into a no-go.

Stayed in Patong Beach area, but quickly realized the atmosphere was not what I was looking for. I wanted to relax, so I headed North to Mai Khao which is a little north of the airport. Chose Renaissance because I'm a Marriott member.

Checked in, and was informed I had been upgraded from my single room to an Ocean front villa with a pool...what!?!?! Mai, the extremely accomodating reception manager said it was my lucky day, and since I am a Marriott Platinum member, I had been upgraded. Great start, and the stay was consistently great throughout.

Secluded location, unbelievably accomodating staff, and quiet low-key beach make this place perfect for couples. I think the secret is out as the place appeared to be strictly couples - for good reason.

Also had a life-changing massage by Lynn at Qua Spa. I had previously not experienced a Thai massage, and it was a twisting, full body, incredibly therapeutic session.

If you are looking for a place to relax, and get away from the hustle and bustle of life, there cannot be a much better place than Renaissance Resort in Phuket.

• Stayed November 2012
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I had the most amazing experience in life on this hotel. The service is amazing. Staff very friendly and you really feel relaxed. Perfect place to scape for a few days. I recommend you to stay for more than 3 days. I went just for the weekend to join a couple of friends and I should confess I almost called my boos to ask for a day off on monday :)

Room Tip: Try to stay for the minimum of three days on it
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 321 in Patong

Been to Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!