“Excellent staff and facilities”

Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed November 21, 2012

The earlier reviews were accurate. The hotel is new and in great condition, the beach was beautiful but the real winner in my mind is the staff that they have. The service level is high and everyone in the resort is well trained and sincere. The food variety could be better though as we stayed 5 nights, ate almost 12 meals there and felt like we ran out of options! The best food we thought we had were the grilled meats at the Sandbox. The standard there surprised us completely.

Our young infant son fell sick unfortunately during the second day there (we think its the seawater he drank accidentally) and remained so for the next four days. The concerns and care shown by the staff who knew were incredible. We were touched at the responses
and it helped us through a very tiring time. For those who want to get out of the resort, we highly recommend getting a car rented. Its much cheaper and phuket as an island is very easy to get around driving. The resort itself is far from everythng else but it didnt bother us as we have been there a number of times and aren't really the patong crowd type.

Great hotel and we will be back

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AhweiSingapore
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I never wrote a review but this time, the experience was terrible. I feel like I have to open an account just to warn others.

Time stayed: 16 to 19 Nov 2012
Rate: US$260 per night
Room: Double room (requested to change from Garden view to lagoon view)

What's good about this hotel? If you are looking to train your patient, temper, body language, the tolerant level of your skin, you are in a right place.

I've been to Phuket for over 10 times and every time was happy. Until I changed the hotel from Laguna Resort area to this one.

1. Bath and tap water
See the picture I attached here.
The color of the water is yellow like urine. When we confronted the manager, he kept saying their engineer had checked and was sure it's safe to use. And they got no complaint at all since they opened the hotel. My wife made him guarantee there would be absolutely safe to use it because she got a major toe injured and worried she would get infected. The Manager who was so sure before wouldn't guarantee but to check other room immediately and to see if the condition was the same. If not, they would change the room for us. But then, he came back 10 minutes later saying other room was also like that. So we have no choice but to trust him. The result was, my wife got allergy and there're red dot all over her body. So now I have to bring her to the clinic for prescription.

2. Bugs
Living flies fly around on our food, Dead flies in my toilet
Before I went, I sent an email to the hotel requesting a no bugs and lizard room. However, there's lizard in our balcony, dead and living flies inside our room.

Hotel Solution: Keep telling me the water is safe and there is nothing they can do to the bugs.
My wife was so sad and angry and asked if we could get a transfer to JW Marriot (same group as Renaissance) which was 10 minutes away. The answer was No because the water in JW was also yellow. End up my wife was so frustrated and asked for compensation. The manager offered a meal with the budget under US$109. Of course we took it. There's nothing we could do and nothing they would do. Even compare to the money we paid them, US$109 is nothing, you could only take it.

3. Plastic texture steak
The meal that the manager compensated us, the steak was horribly plastic. It wasn't the way they cooked it, it was the quality of the steak. I could barely cut it, not to mention to chew it. I felt like I was eating a steak gum. This steak worth US$26 plus tax and service charge if you are to order it.

4. Breakfast
Freshly cooked omelets was dry and had no taste. Flies & Birds were everywhere eating my food. I got one pancake back to my seat and I've to get the other immediately because flies were eating my first one.

5. Language Barrier
Basically the waiters level staff would say yes to everything and said no when they understood what I actually meant.

6. Impolite Receptionist
My driver suddenly refused to drive me from hotel to airport so I asked the staff to talk to the driver for me to see what happened. The male night shift staff who came was very rude and not helpful. He kept saying "I don't know why he wouldn't drive you... That's not our driver... I don't know why!!" At the end, I found out it was because the hotel area refused to let outside Taxi in to take guests to the airport so that you must take their local taxi.

7. Noisy ceremony
The first morning I was waken by a very loud Thai transitional music at 8:00am. They said there's a wedding ceremony. I didn't know a resort who hold a peaceful and quiet selling point would let such a noisy wedding happen. If I do, I would not have went there. I picked a place that's so far away from downtown, not because I wanted loud music, but because I wanted a quiet and peaceful place!

8. One thing is good about the hotel is: their in-room check-in was very fast. I do not know if it was because I've sent them email before I went, or they did have in-room check-in.

Anyway, I'm busy bring my wife to clinic. Good Luck to everyone who wants to stay there.

Room Tip: I would advise to pick somewhere else.
10  Thank Gordon C
Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

Single guy, last minute trip to Phuket after Goa turned into a no-go.

Stayed in Patong Beach area, but quickly realized the atmosphere was not what I was looking for. I wanted to relax, so I headed North to Mai Khao which is a little north of the airport. Chose Renaissance because I'm a Marriott member.

Checked in, and was informed I had been upgraded from my single room to an Ocean front villa with a pool...what!?!?! Mai, the extremely accomodating reception manager said it was my lucky day, and since I am a Marriott Platinum member, I had been upgraded. Great start, and the stay was consistently great throughout.

Secluded location, unbelievably accomodating staff, and quiet low-key beach make this place perfect for couples. I think the secret is out as the place appeared to be strictly couples - for good reason.

Also had a life-changing massage by Lynn at Qua Spa. I had previously not experienced a Thai massage, and it was a twisting, full body, incredibly therapeutic session.

If you are looking for a place to relax, and get away from the hustle and bustle of life, there cannot be a much better place than Renaissance Resort in Phuket.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I had the most amazing experience in life on this hotel. The service is amazing. Staff very friendly and you really feel relaxed. Perfect place to scape for a few days. I recommend you to stay for more than 3 days. I went just for the weekend to join a couple of friends and I should confess I almost called my boos to ask for a day off on monday :)

Room Tip: Try to stay for the minimum of three days on it
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The hotel and staff are fabulous. Our room was gorgeous and we got a very good rate on the room. The beds are very comfortable. The private beach, the pool and the grounds are beautiful. However, that all being said, be prepared to pay through the roof for meals and drinks. If that's not a problem for you, the place is perfect!

3  Thank shmookey
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Just spent a few days here with the family and I must say this hotel is by far the best I have ever experienced. Just a few words to sum it up: New, Modern and Spotless.

Staff:
-The staff here are all very friendly which is very welcoming. They will try to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. They definitely won't see you as a stranger that's for sure.
-The personalised in room check in was great! We felt like 'Royals' the minute we got off the car!

Hotel:
-Close to the beautiful private beach with a stunning coastline. Not very crowded at all. The sand quality is a little coarse but other than that, you can't complain really.
-Hotel is exceptionally new and nice modern rooms. The R Deluxe located on the 4th floor (highest floor) has a good views of the resorts.
- The hotel is located amongst a cluster of other hotels within the same group (JW Marriott, Anantara [still under construction] and Renaissance), with R being the newest. There are shuttle buses (mini vans) which drives you to the city or Phuket on scheduled times with prices starting at THB250 per way. It takes around 40mins to the city as the hotel is really located on the quiet end of Phuket.
-Food in this hotel is exceptional! Breakfast cost around THB600 net each person but definitely well worth the price. Good spread and range of Thai and Western food. The juice bar is something to die for. Love the fresh fruit smoothies! Don't miss it if you are a fruit lover!

OK there's always a downside to everything. There are a fair bit of 'creepy crawlies' namely: 'Asian Geckos' out in force during the night. They will be all over the external walls which is kinda creepy if you are scared of these things. So make sure your door is locked or else you will have uninvited guests in your room!

Will I come back again?.............needless to say!

Room Tip: I would pay a little extra for the R Deluxe Room. Or for something even posh....go for the beachside...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The experience at the Renaissance was nothing short of 5 star. The private beach is awesome and entends as far as you can see. The sea was warm and very flat and gently lapped agaiinst the beach.
The breakfast was great value, food was exceptional and as much as you could eat. late breakfast takes away the need for lunch.
Only critism was the location, its about an hour from most places however the seclusion of the beach and the quality of the service more than makes up for it.
Enjoy.

Room Tip: any of the rooms are of great quality. I would recommend the standard as there is little reason for...
1  Thank Gary C
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 328 in Patong
Phuket Marriott Resort and Spa, Nai Yang Beach

Been to Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!