“Nice hotel decoration and excellent staff with service mind” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa

Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Mai Khao
Bangkok
“Nice hotel decoration and excellent staff with service mind”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I'm on vacation with my boyfriend. Renaissance Phuket is really nice place with modern decoration and clean beach. We are so impress to hotel staff, everyone! They take care us very polite and friendly. Perfect !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed here on the second portion of our visit to Thailand and couldn't have been more pleased. From the moment we stepped foot on the property to the moment we hopped in a cab and said goodbye, the staff was there to deliver warm, friendly, top notch service. Everywhere we went during our stay people greeted us with a smile engaged in conversation and inquired on how they can be of service. I truly believe that anyone in the hotel or service industry should visit Thailand, particularly the Renaissance, to learn a thing or two about how to run an exceptional hotel/resort.

The location is rather secluded and is away from all of the "action" in Patong (45-60 min.). Some see this as a negative, but it was perfect for us after having been in Bangkok for the first part of our stay. It just depends on what you're looking for. If you want the wild action and debauchery that Patong offers then this isn't your scene. However, if you're looking for a place to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle, then you have found it in the Renaissance.

There is not a lot in terms of nightlife, restaurants, and shopping in the immediate area except for the Sala hotel, JW Marriott, Anantara, and Turtle Village. Turtle Village has a pub (mediocre bar food), a restaurant called the Coffee Club (tasty coffee, espresso drinks, breakfast, lunch, dinner), and a Swenson's ice cream shop. It also has a market for needed items and snacks, as well as some shops that offer souvenirs, clothing, luggage, and home decor. Along the road between Turtle Village and the Renaissance you will also find some more authentic eateries and shops where locals sell their goods and food. We bought some souvenirs from the shops there instead of at Turtle Village as they were more reasonably priced and we enjoyed talking to the locals.

The scenery and the layout at the Renaissance is absolutely beautiful. Mai Khao beach was gorgeous and peaceful with only guests of the hotel using it. We even had yellow flag days that enabled us to enjoy swimming in the crystal blue ocean. There were plenty of lounge chairs along the beach area and pool. They have an additional pool near the children's center that is set up for kids. This was nice, as we didn't have loud kids splashing and running around. The attendants at the pool/beach deliver quick and efficient service starting with glasses of water and cool towels the moment they see you sit down. Bar and food service at the beach/pool is exceptional (Which comes from the Sandbox bar/restaurant). We took in a few lunches and enjoyed some delicious drinks while having beach/pool time.

There are three sit-down restaurants, a coffee bar with snacks, and one bar/lounge on site. We tried all of them, except the Thai restaurant, and were not disappointed. The breakfast buffet is delicious and offers a wide selection to choose from. It was great to sit outside along the pond while sipping on coffee and taking in a good meal. The Sandbox has tables that are in the sand and has tasty food and drinks that can be enjoyed with a delightful view of the ocean. The lounge near the lobby had great drinks and on some evenings had a woman playing the guitar and singing. Drinks and snacks at the coffee bar were tasty and quickly prepared. Service at all four was consistently outstanding.

The hotel has bicycles that you can rent for free to explore the area. We rode around on a lovely path that surrounded a lake and also ventured up to Turtle Village. They have a tuk-tuk that shuttles guests to the JW Marriott as well as Turtle Village.

We had traditional Thai massages at Quan Spa. The women there were so accommodating and friendly. We left feeling relaxed and impressed with the facility overall. Our room was spotless and housekeeping did a great job each day. The decor was modern and had a minimalist feel to it. The layout was functional and spacious with a very large bathroom that had a soaking tub and separate shower. We had nightly turndown service which was a nice touch after returning from dinner each evening. There was also a balcony with sitting chairs, but we didn't use it much as we preferred to lounge around by the pool and beach.

We absolutely loved staying here and plan to return. Not only is the Renaissance a beautiful property in a fabulous location, it offers sincere, high quality service that is unmatched anywhere we have ever stayed.

3 Thank vacationhereIcome
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Very nice and clean hotel. We visited 10/2-10/12 and wanted a good location to just relax but wondered if location might be too low key....it was perfect for us. The beach was very nice and clean as well. And the food...great, especially the seafood buffet as well as the breakfast buffet. I must say thanks again to the amazing staff...Seazy, Mina, Sam, Song, Sunni...and everyone else. You all made our stay outstanding. Glad we chose to stay here instead of the popular Patong area. While we had to pay for transportation into the city and other popular areas, this hotel stay was definitely worth it all. Also, I had an amazing spa experience. Thanks again. Kay and James

Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Renaissance and were very glad we did. We managed to get a 'celebration rate' during the rainy season for about $100 USD per night, including breakfast, which I will get to in a minute. We had just come from Tokyo and Singapore and were used to paying twice that for about a third of the room we pleasantly walked into in Phuket.

The rooms are huge, even by Western standards. I was hesitant because all of the reviews I read were for ocean front rooms and had a hard time justifying the price difference. Our room was on the top floor and overlooked the infinity pool and courtyard below. There is a very nice, large tub surrounded by glass and wooden blinds to look into the bedroom if you like, a wonderful shower with dual heads, plus all of the bathroom extras (toothbrushes, conditioner, bath salts). The floors are a wonderful marble with a small sitting area. Every night we came home to a delicious and picturesque snack, whether it was fruit or a salted caramel dessert.

The breakfast buffet was one of the best I have ever eaten. An omelette station was only the beginning of what was offered. There was plenty of fresh fruit, Asian options, a crepe station and loads of beautiful pastries. It is amazing!!

There were a couple of nights that we came back to the hotel with take away (I know it may seem cheap and possibly disrespectful, but this is probably the only time I will ever eat true Thai food). I asked if I could use a microwave, but they gladly took the food, heated it, and prepared it beautifully on their plates for room delivery. We gave them all a well deserved tip and many thanks for the trouble.

There is one small negative though: it is a bit far from Phuket City. A cab drive is about 30 minutes one way. With that being said, I don't believe you could find this quality of hotel in town. Granted, I may have also been a little overly cautious, but as am American I wasn't too keen to staying super close to Malaysia (there were anti-American riots at the time). Plus, if it is the rainy season, a honeymoon, or any other reason to spend a little extra time in the hotel then it doesn't matter. The hotel also offers cooking classes and other activities. I will say the massages are expensive by Thai standards. One suggestions would be to maybe stay your first night in town and the rest at the Renaissance.

Overall, a fantastic place I would definitely stay at again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is a fantastic hotel. We stayed in a pool villa and it was worth every cent. The service was great, the food was amazing and the beach was beautiful.

The disadvantage of being quite far from the popular areas such as Patong is that you end up spending quite a lot on transport to get to places. But this is easily outweighed by the advantage of not sharing the beach with hundreds of tourists and touts. It was lovely. Taxis are readily available, but the hotel could offer a better (and cheaper) shuttle service than they presently do.

All in all this is a great place to stay if you want comfort, good service and be away from the crowds. My wife and I would love to go back.

Room Tip: It's worth the extra money for a pool villa.
HK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

I am now sitting by the pool in the second hotel I booked (indigo pearl), but all I am thinking about is renaissance. I'm traveling alone, 5th time in Phuket, looking for some relax and zen time, renaissance delivered and the beach blew me away. I was worried that I will be bored in Mai Kao, so I only stayed one night. Now, I regret, the scenery is so beautiful, staff is great, understand needs of a traveller, food was lovely, which really helps to take everything off my mind. u won't worry about being bored.

The hotel room might appear to be quite standard chain hotel type, but hey it's comfortable and functional, unlike where I am now! I never thought I would like renaissance as a hotel chain this much (I booked it because it was on a last min deal and I wanted to see Mai Kao), but this one in Phuket absolutely changed my mind.

now I m at a slightly busier beach, but I am bored. :(

Just one little problem, the water came out from the bath was a little yellowish, if that can be fixed, it would be even better :)

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank always_jen
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Beautiful hotel with the most accommodating staff I have ever come across! 'no' is just not in their dictionary! Truly speaks of the amazing Asian hospitality that we hear so much about! The rooms were beautiful, the bed was very comfortable and had a bathroom to die for! the breakfast is not to be missed as it is truly extravagant! The pool is small however the private beach is just a few steps away (have to be there at sunset time)! The Thai restaurant has some seriously great food too! On the downside, cabs to and from the hotel are a problem (usually 800 - 900) baht just one way to patong beach / bangla street! Best option is to book the cabbie for a return trip with a 4 hr wait! They usually agree for 1600 baht and guarantee your return to the hotel! (yes, cabbies from town usually refuse a one way trip to this side of town at night)!

Room Tip: The two bed villas are fabulous however the courtyard facing room is better then the others. Avoid t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 319 in Patong
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,035 reviews

Been to Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!