“We came back as promised!”

Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We just love this resort and we are not resort people. The Renaissance is on the ocean. Strong winds prevented swimming but the beautiful golden sands invite walking. The resort pool is set near the ocean so gets the cooling breeze; the crashing of the waves is soothing. We came to relax and that is what we did. Our villa had a pool so regular dips kept us cool while sunbathing in private. The room is spacious, clean and has everything we need. Bottled water is always available. The gym is cool and a great way to start the day, or take the bikes around the lagoon. Plenty of different eating places in the resort from very casual to more formal. Renaissance has everything we wanted for our holiday. Only regret, 9 days is not enough.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarola

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We were blown away by the excellent service from the minute we stepped into the resort. Am, the manager on duty, whisked us up to our room (just a standard deluxe) within minutes of our arrival, and took care of all our check-in paperwork in the comfort of our room.

The room itself was cheery, spacious and well-lit, yet tranquil and relaxing at the same time. Albeit there are no seaview rooms on this resort save for the beachfront multi-room chalets, but the vista from our room was pleasant with lush greenery and the waterfall in sight. Everything you'd expect of a 5* hotel was there - soaking tub with bath salts, rain shower, LCD TV, fresh fruit, various pillow options. One great additional perk for Marriott Rewards members: free hi-speed internet at all Marriott & Renaissance hotels in Asia Pac, launched on the day of our arrival! If you're not a member, they can also sign you up on the spot.

The hotel is quite remotely located, about 30 minutes from the action in Patong. We had planned to move here after a couple of nights in Phuket, just to end the trip on a relaxing note - it was the right decision. After 3 days of sightseeing & sidewalk bargaining in Patong, it was great to wrap up the trip at a quieter beachfront location. If you still hanker for some retail distraction, the Turtle Village (free shuttle available from hotel) is just a short distance away, offering a Bill Bentley with HH rates, a Swensens outlet, some clothing outlets and a small supermart. Prices are steep though, as you'd expect of any business so remotely located.

Breakfast was superb! It took us 2 days to do a decent sampling of the buffet breakfast spread, even though the variety didn't look too extensive at first glance. Staff were always well-trained and friendly beyond their call of duty, even offering short spells of child-minding services while hungry parents headed to the buffet line to grab more grub.

We also attempted to book a session at the spa, but it was fully booked for the day. The staff there kindly brought us on a quick tour of the spa, and we felt quite sorry to miss out when we left without a booking. There's a reasonably well-equipped gym, if you're looking for alternative activities. The sea was rather choppy but we enjoyed mucking about close to the shore. Lovely long stretch of beach at Mai Khao and you feel like you practically own it since there are very few resorts which front the beach. Lounge chairs abound at the lawn in front of the adult pool, if you're so inclined.

One more activity worth mentioning is that bicycles are available for free from the hotel. You don't get to ride very far (you can cycle up to Turtle Village before you hit highway), but if you look for the path that leads you around the lake, it's a pretty & tranquil journey, bringing you along a conifer and even eucalyptus lined circuit.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay here and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to weary travelers who've had enough of the Patong party scene, or those just in need of a good relaxing break.

4  Thank lollypork
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We took a complete gamble on this one as it was a brand new property and not many locals had known about this hotel. It was our one night stop-over in Phuket as part of our honeymoon trip after three nights at the Phi-Phi islands. The Resort in itself was amazing. Everything from the lobby to the water bodies, the bar and the restaurant. We would definitely recommend the Private Pool Villas. They are just too good for words! You have separate access to showers and toilets directly from the pool and it was just awesome to dip into the pool, first thing when you woke up! The only glitch was since its all the way up north closer to the airport, plan at least 1 hour travel time to all the night clubs and hot spots!!!

1  Thank Amrithraj
Reviewed June 3, 2011

We spent 4 nights out of a 10 day holiday at this property and can honestly say that it was superb in every way. Firstly for the price it is extraordinary value in comparison to other hotels in this bracket. The font office staff, notably Knot are fantastic and go above and beyond there call of duty. The food is excellent, gardens, rooms and pool area you could not fault.
The only downsides are the beach and isolation. The beach would be fine im sure on most occasions but was a little rough while we were there, but as the infinity pool is almost on the sand it isnt a big issue. For many the isolation is a good thing, and aside from shopping your not missing out on anything.
Would recommend this property for a romantic honeymoon right through to a family holiday with the kids.

Room Tip: All good
6  Thank lukewatto
Reviewed May 11, 2011

Love the location of the hotel as it is located 20mins North from the airport and on the quiet stretch of Phuket. Surrounded by lush greenery and beautiful sea so the place is really a gem. From the moment I stepped out from the airport to being picked up by the resort driver to check-in, it was smooth sailing. Au, who was from front desk even spoke to me on the phone while I was being driven to the hotel and she told me she would be waiting for me at the lobby upon my arrival and true enough, she was. I expected to go thru the normal check-in process, but I didn't had to do that. The check-in was done inside the comfort of my room. I was given a tour of the hotel in a buggy and was then showed to my room. I had the highest floor and the furthest corner so it was quiet and peaceful. The view of all the rooms are overlooking the man made pond.

The room is spacious, airy, bright and clean. There were 6 bottles of complimentary mineral water inside the room so I didn't had to request for more. There are 2 pools - a kid and an adult pool. The adult pool is adjacent to the beach and there are plenty of lounge chairs for everyone. Buffet breakfast was included and the choices were plenty and fresh and tasty.

But for room service, please stay away from ordering Thai food, especially green curry or tom yam gung because the cooking aren't authentic Thai style. Both time I ordered the food, I asked the server to take it back without even tasting it because it didn't look appetizing at all. They were happy to change my order and even canceled my order the 2nd time around and they even sent me complimentary fruits platter to show their apology when I changed my order. And the next day, the front desk called to apologize to me again about the room service food.

On the 1st night there, it rained quite heavily so the hotel experienced frequent power tripped and that annoyed me a fair bit, but it only happened on the 1st night. The next 3 nights were smooth without hiccups.

I didn't get a chance to try the spa because it was fully booked everyday. You have to book at least 1 day in advance. I had a look at the choices on the spa menu, but I didn't see a lot of options. They do not offer any packages. All of it are singular items. Would be nice to see packages in the menu such as scrub + body wrap + massage. Anyway, I didn't get a chance to try so unable to comment whether is it good or bad.

Au from the front desk had been very helpful. On my last night, I needed her to help me to print out my web check-in and she was more than happy to do it and delivered it to my room personally.

There isn't a proper shopping place nearby except Turtle Village. But the shops at Turtle village aren't your regular shops and I seriously doubt you can buy anything there, except maybe from Jim Thompson. For me, I didn't manage to buy anything because I find the prices are overpriced.

Housekeeping can be further improved by providing more choices of tea bags and maybe some chocolates when they turn down the bed. Mini bar should have some snicker bars too.

The ladies in the public areas need to upgrade as I found a lot of water stained on the walls. Not a nice sight at all.

Overall, I'll rate the hotel 8 out of 10. For the price I paid, it was value for money. Free wifi because I'm a Marriot Club member and in addition, they also offered me 1000 Baht as rebate. I'm a happy guest and customer.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Silkysultry
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Overall, this is a great resort to unwind and relax. The resort is new and modern. It is a relatively short ride from the Phuket airport; however, it's a long drive to Patong. We stayed in the deluxe room, which is accurately reflected int he marketing photos. Our friends stayed in the one bedroom villa, which did have a nice mini pool. The service at the hotel was friendly and very service-oriented.

I loved the breakfast at the hotel (Thai and western types of food). For someone who loves a heavy breakfast, this was perfect since there was variety and plenty of food (fruit smoothies, fresh fruit, crepes, fried rice, bread and sweets, cereal, eggs served your way, bacon, etc.).

Value, it's on the expensive side, but perhaps what to expect at a resort. Alcoholic drinks run from US$9 to US$15. For lunch, I ordered a Caesar salad with shrimp and that was about US $10.

I didn't take part of the spa, but our friends did and I know they loved the services. The spa center seemed lush and quiet.

I would stay here again, but I think I would stay here a couple of days prior to leaving Phuket.

2  Thank AKo75
Reviewed May 7, 2011

The location is either great or bad, it all depends on what your purpose is for traveling there. If you are looking for all the actions at the Patong beach, then I don't think this resort is the best option for you. Although the hotel offers scheduled shuttle service to the center of Patong beach, it's still not worth the expense and time for traveling back and forth like that. Anyway, what impressed me the most was the staff. The manager greeted us upon arrival, and she took care of all the check-in process by herself. She was really professional and her personal attention to us during our stay was unforgettable. Besides the manager, all the other stuff is professional and sweet too. Some other comments suggesting that the staff looks so young and inexperienced, but I found that NONE of those young ones lacks of the professional standard of serving. The staff here made my stay with them a total rewarding one.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
The Chava Resort
The Chava Resort
#2 of 36 in Choeng Thale
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to Renaissance Phuket Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!