“Best Restaurant in Mai Khao”
Review of Kin Dee Restaurant

Kin Dee Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 72 Restaurants in Mai Khao
Cuisines: Seafood, Thai, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Kin Dee is a small, local, standalone hideaway family restaurant at Mai Khao run by 2008 Thailand's culinary champion. We serve local Phuket cuisine, live seafood, ancient Thai cuisine is just added on the menu. Vegetarian, kid menus, cocktails, Thai wine, main produce from the village where Kin Dee located and Phuket area. Open from 1030 hrs - 2200 hrs. 15 Minute drive from Phuket airport. Under 5 min to drive from Renaissance, Sala, JW Marriott, Anantara villa, Anantara vacation club, Marriott Mai Khao. Around 20 mins to drive from Aleenta, Mai Khao dream Natai.
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Far away from the resorts area, but definitely a must go! Though Taxi is relatively not economic in Phuket, but the driver will always be waiting for you close to the restaurant.
The Kin Dee fish is the best I've ever had in the entire Thailand among all the travels.

1  Thank richyding
Write a ReviewReviews (1,071)

Reviewed December 23, 2013

This home style restaurant was recommended to us by our concierge. The owner had taught Thai cooking classes at the JW Marriott in Mai Khoa beach. We were very impressed and so pleased that we went back again two nights later. The restaurant is just off the highway,slightly south of the check point to the mainland. It is open air and has all the fresh seafood in buckets of water as you walk in. The staff are friendly, helpful and very courteous. The food is delicious and the crab cakes were the freshest we have every had. We had the papaya leaf fried shrimps, pad thai, green and red curries, shrimp cakes, and assorted veggies in peanut sauce- all excellent and very little was left on our plates. Should we ever be back in that part of the world, we will definitely return.

1  Thank Joan P
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We have looked forward to returning here since our first visit two years ago when we ate here two evenings. Easy to get to if you have a car. We love the set up over the mangrove swamp where you can watch the tidal changes. Reordered our favorite salads, banana blossom, pomelo , kin dee and the flash fried shrimp on pepper leaves. They just melt in your mouth and you can't get back home. Had to do it all in one night this time. The duck entree also fabulous.
Still think it is great food with combinations that are unique. Will be thinking about it until next trip to Thailand. I hope they start selling tshirts!

Reviewed December 21, 2013

What can I say...eat here. Don't eat at the resort. Amazing spicy food full of flavour. Lovely people and lots of atmosphere. Unfortunately, I think Thai food in Australia will be forever disappointing after this meal.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

This is the nearest restaurant outside of the Mai Khao resort area and despite the positive reviews written about it, we found the opposite to be true.

It was a wooden shack raised on stilts above a mangrove swamp but not well-maintained for the comfort of their guests dining there.

Here, ambience was wanting, service bad, food was just run-of-the-mill and worst of all it was grossly overpriced. We had six dishes to go with our rice but only one merits mention and that is the “Duck with passion fruit” which was unique and quite good. Our dessert of “Glutinous rice with mango” was horrible with the overripe tasteless mango and soggy, probably overnight glutinous rice and none of the thick coconut milk dressing. However our complaint fell on deaf ears.

Probably their food was more suited to Westerners because Asians or Thais, being more familiar with Thai cooking, would be more critical in their assessment of the level of authenticity of the food served there.

Bad experience. Another visit most unlikely.

14111978, Owner at Kin Dee Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Thank you for caring adding your review and I respect your opinion. The roof need to be fixed and it on my schedule by the end of new year. We had a guy come over and take down coconuts and some how fall over the edge of the roof and need maintenance. We stick with real Thai taste as this is our selling point. Anyway I respect your personal opinion but I am sad as we are Thai , we cook Thai and we keep its Thai. I wonder why few people feel like it's not real Thai food. They are a hundred percent real Thai taste and the guests can ask for different level of spiciness. We prepare food mainly with fresh coconut and the fresh coconut when you reduce over 5 minutes they change to translucent. We pour over sticky rice. The white coconut sauce is made from canned coconut and last longer. I think I may change the fresh coconut t can then you can see well the sauce on the rice. I will make sure today that every time we cut mango we need to taste before serving and select only the good one. I am sorry for this. I am glad at least you like duck with passion fruit sauce. You mention about the service, I didn't have the review about poor service for almost a year already as I have a good service team. You mention about the mango sticky rice comment and the staff deft. I think because they don't know how to explain to you and that may irritate you. If you look at the reviews you can see that the customer are satisfied with service this year. Anyway it your opinion and I respect. Please know I keep this price for at least 3 years. When I start this menu , I buy fresh prawns at 200 Baht now they are 350 Baht already. I still keep the same rate. Some little places like us you may get a little bit better price as they don't hire anyone, pay no one they work on their own the cost is lower but people have to make a living and I pay for the everyone and things. Anyway I do respect you opinion but I can do nothing with the price as we cannot work for free. I proud of our food and we keep them Thai as we eat.