“Great Resort - But Some Issues with Demographics”

Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mai Khao
liv0007
“Great Resort - But Some Issues with Demographics”
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We stayed at the Anantara for 8 nights as part of our honeymoon. We were looking for a place to relax and unwind after the whirlwind of the wedding, and thats exactly what we found!
The villas themselves are really really nice, big beds, lovely heavy Thai furniture, open plan bathroom with a sunken bath at the same level as the pool, and of course the private pool and Sala. There are lots of lovely touches in the villas that set the resort apart - from three different kinds of soap, to lovely furniture and decor, to the massive mirrors and the enormous number of towels you are given. All the villas in the resort are the same standard, bar some minor layout differences and the addition of an over-lagoon sala, which I really liked. The resort itself is gorgeous, and very very quiet - far from the hustle of Patong and the touristy resorts around the island.
The only major criticism that I have is that the resort does not seem to have his demographics quite right. The setup of the rooms are clearly designed for couples rather than young families - this was one of the chief reasons for us choosing this resort for a romantic getaway. To start with, the villas one bedroom and one king size bed (and arent massive rooms), and the resort activities are also much more designed around cocktails, sunsets and romantic dinners. However, while we were there over Easter, there were more families than couples, which I found surprising and frankly a little irritating, as I had more than one meal with children screaming beside us. Yes, live and let live, but I was surprised that the resort did not do more to cater to the different types of guests there, especially considering the price bracket and quality of the resort. Of the three times we booked ahead at the restaurants and requested a quieter table away from young families, twice we were seated directly beside a family of children under 5.
Having said that, it was Easter weekend and the resort was quite busy, so it could be different at other times. We did have a wonderful stay, and would definitely recommend the resort to others. If you are on your honeymoon you get a great package, including champagne in your room, free cocktails and canapes, an aromatherapy massage for two (heaven), and a romantic bath setup.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank liv0007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
UK
Reviewed April 7, 2009

We stayed 5 nights at the end of March in one of the Anantara's spectacular villas and were tremendously impressed with the resort and the quality of the staff who are all so attentive and friendly. The Anantara is at the quieter end of Phuket and if you crave the hectic nightlife of Patong this is not for you. However if you desire to be pampered in quiet luxury you could do no better than this resort . Since my husband and I had been travelling in Thailand for one month before arriving at the Anantara it was a blissful and restful few days before returning to the UK.
Incidentally, I had the best Thai massage ever in the Spa.
Both restaurants serve excellent food and the cocktails are just too good to miss.
In short this is an excellent resort well run and pretty special even comparing it with other 5 star resorts in Thailand or indeed elsewhere. We shall definitely return

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2009

We just stayed for 6 nights at the Anantara Hotel in Phuket and we can honestly say that it is one of the best resort hotels we have stayed in so far. The Villa’s are very well designed and have all amenities you could wish for. You can see that someone has put a lot of thought into designing this property and even though it feels sometimes that it is over designed; it still has its charm. It has a lot of small touches which will make your stay very pleasurable. The pool area is very well designed but unfortunately most of the time the water is so warm that it is not refreshing anymore. It was never really busy near the pool during our entire stay. I am not sure if this is because the hotel wasn’t full or because most of the guest stay in their Villa’s during the day. But it was very nice that there was always a deckchair available when you wanted one. The big minus point for us was the beach. Phuket for us is famous for white sand and crystal clear water. Unfortunately the Anantara Hotel is located next to a narrow protected beach which means that there are no chairs allowed for sunbathing. Also the sand is more yellow than white and stony than fine. There are also pine trees instead of palm trees. It depends what you are looking for, but if you are looking for the perfect deluxe beach resort, this is not it! The hotel is located directly next to the JW Marriott Hotel which is a plus point because the food choice at the Anantara is limited. We went to the beach restaurant on the first night and I can confirm what another person had written on tripadvisor, the food is too complicated and we found it very difficult to choose something we really felt like eating. That’s why you will meet many guests for lunch or dinner at the Marriott next door, because it is much simpler and less formal. But don’t get me wrong, you would never want to stay at the Marriott! It’s a difference like day and night. You just want to use their restaurant facilities. I just wonder why the Management from the Anantara doesn’t change their concept. Why loose this revenue to the competitor next door? Also what the Anantara is really missing is a good qualified Concierge. At the moment the reception is taking care of all guest requests and they are fantastic in terms of friendliness, but there is nothing better than a good Concierge with some insider knowledge and good suggestions. After reading about Phuket on the Internet we knew more than most of the receptionists. It would have been good to have some guidance and ideas on what to do and to see. So, to sum it up, if you are looking for a 5 star deluxe hotel with Villa accommodation, nice tropical garden setting and the beach is not that important to you, than this is the property for you. It is incredibly quiet and perfect for total relaxation. And if you have an eye for architecture and design, you will appreciate the Anantara even more. The finishing and material used is of very high standard and puts it well above other hotels in this class.

Arabian Gulf
Reviewed March 4, 2009

If you are looking for solitude or a weekend away, this is the perfect place. My husband and I spent 2 nights at the Anantara. The staff were wonderful, especially Meenah. The villa had a nice pool, outdoor shower and was spacious and the bathroom was amazingly designed with lots of natural light. While we were there the resort was having trouble with their lagoon's water flow and due to the stagnant water, there were a lot of mosquitos. The beach is not as swimmer friendly as the ones closer to patong as the current is quite strong. The resort was very quiet (despite being 60% of the 83 villas) but you can walk next door to the Marriott for a larger choice of restaurants. The hotel is very close to the airport, which is one of the reasons we chose it as it was for a quick weekend trip.

1 Thank iloo
Liverpool
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I'll try to describe my experience, but I fear my limited education will leave me short of the words I need, to recreate a mental picture for you that does this wonderful place justice. Ok here goes ! From the moment we arrived, My wife and I had realised we'd stumbled across a very special place. Indeed this is the first time I've ever come away from a resort and considered the hotel staff as personal friends, from the ever helpful and happy Meenah, Mean and Heng on reception. To An and all the breakfast staff. The resort itself was very beautiful and uniquely peaceful, but it was something about the humble staff smiling everywhere that seemed to radiate happiness from every corner of the resort. Although we are well travelled, we both can honestly say, we have never met resort staff even close to these wonderful young men and women who truly took pleasure in making our stay so wonderful. They are quite simply there to cater for you, and do so swiftly with the biggest smiles you'll find anywhere in the world. The Staff here are truly special and the likes of which I have not seen before. If you have small children like us, relax and don't be alarmed when the staff walk off with them, they do bring them back, Eventually ! Both lads and the girls will do this, They just love children in Phuket, and naturally try to fuss over them, if your lucky you might even see "Hot" do his funny monkey impressions, my 2 yr old daughter loved him ! and then thers "Sun" who would cheekily wolf whistle Siobhan and charm her calling her "his princess". Thats the first time I saw my 2 yr old daughter blush ... priceless ! A useful tip too ... if you want or need a taxi, just 25 yards away from the front of Anantara is the local taxi stand, Ask for a driver named "TIK" he doesn't speak a lot of English but he speaks enough for you to tell him where or what you want. TRUST ME ! This lad is the most HONEST and WONDERFUL human being you could ever hope to meet. HE WILL KEEP YOU SAFE! He won't let you eat anywhere the food maybe, lets say "a bit dodgy". He won't try to rip you off either, like other taxi drivers. In fact more often than not he tries to rip himself off and discount the rates you've already agreed to, because he wants to please you ! But Please, don't try to take advantage of him, because he is a Really Lovely Honest Lad, and he wouldn't try to do it to you. Tell him Danny and family from Liverpool sent you to him, he will light up with smiles, and now you've got yourself a best friend in a foriegn country as a guide. I used to joke with "TIK" when we passed big Posh Mansions, that I thought that was his house ! He used to say no at first, bless him, after a few times he sussed me out and he would laugh, and said I was crazy. Hes probably right, but am also right about "TIK" trust me ! Hes a Great Lad ! The Restaurant at Anantara is a bit pricey but its quality, the food is fantastic by anyones standards, I recommend you try it at the beginning of your stay, as you'll not bother with anywhere else after that, lovely when the suns going down. the waiters like the rest of the staff are great, a young lad named "IM" would take the kids to watch the sunset about 20 yards away while we ate to give us, a bit of us time, which was really thoughtful of such a young lad. I could go on all night and am starting too so am gonna sign off here. To summarise ... Our family have just had an amazing holiday, in a very beautiful resort, surrounded by the very best lads and girls of Thailand. We recommend this resort to everyone ... If you want smiles, ask about little 2 yr old Siobhan from Liverpool, you'll get smiles from everyone and I mean everyone ! She was like a star out there, all the staff knew her, and came down from there stations the day we left to wave her off, Goodbye ! Especially the lovely Meenah who practically adopted her while we were there ... My personal advice, is to go to Anantara and spoil yourself ! Good Luck and Sawadee Ka

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank scousedan
Horley, Surrey
Reviewed February 23, 2009

We certainly found this hotel to be one of the highlights of our trip, the service standards & villas were excellent. All the staff were so very friendly.

The food was excellent, and the public areas were really impressive especially on a night with the natural torch lights burning along the bridge walkways. The Sea, fire and Salt restaurant and bar was so trendy it could have been Miami.. with a DJ playing background music on evenings.

Our only negative was the in hotel pricing it was the most expensive hotel we have found in Asia, and we have stayed in several expensive hotels all over the region. l know the strength of the pound does not help, but it was £100 a massage, £12,00 for a club sandwich at lunch, the cheapest bottle of wine was £30,00... it soon added up, and its awful when you start being careful... its also a little out on its own so it lends itself to a shorter duration trip.

A new shopping centre has opened up next door this will assist in additional basic options for the cheaper evening or lunch! However, the hotel is a must for some of your meals.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PDC08
Newark
Reviewed February 10, 2009

I'm loathe to tell everyone how absolutely perfect this resort is in case its full next time I want to book! The Pool Villas are beautiful with everything you need including outdoor double bath, an enormous bed, wine cellar by the pool, in villa dining, there was no need to leave the villa or resort. The staff were charming and too numerous to mention but I was impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the Head Chef from Melbourne who spoke to nearly every person staying there and Narelle head of Marketing who entertained us with stories at the beach bar. The food in both the restaurants was constantly fautless and the breakfast delicious, the staff could not do enough to please you. The spa also was of the highest standards, I had the chinese herbal back massage and facial which had to be the best by far. Ask for Leks if you have a massage,I have had 10 days pain free after her back massage. If you're looking for a quiet getaway with 5 star luxury this is the place, however I would not recommend it to families with young children there is too much open water around the villas We'll definitely be back!

• Liked — The enormous bed
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank italianproperties
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Trisara Phuket
Trisara Phuket
#2 of 96 in Thalang District

Been to Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas? Share your experiences!