“Absolutely heaven!”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mai Khao
Hong Kong
“Absolutely heaven!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I rarely want to go back to a hotel (I like to try new things) but for Anantara Phuket Villas, I'd want to go back! It was absolutely heaven! The villas were perfectly designed. The surroundings beautiful. The staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast delicious. Everything you want in a resort you will have in Anantara.

Let me try to find some cons...I thought the villas were a bit too close together. I only noticed this because on 2 nights I heard my neighbors party by the pool and played loud music. On the second night I phoned in reception about the noise, and the staff took care of it and even made a follow up calls with me. Also there are no beach activities. Well, I'm not a beach person so that's fine by me. The public pool is so wonderful I don't need a beach.

Room Tip: Villa #15 is a perfect distance from the breakfast area and the pool.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Milan, Italy
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Booked the Anantara resort as our first choice hotel “Mom Tri Villa Royale Hotel” recommended by a fellow Tripadvisor Member was fully booked.
I am so glad we chose this property.
All has been written about it in previous reviews. The room has a fairly sized private pool, the villas are set in lush gardens. The hotel is away from the hustle and bustle (and the seediness) of some areas of Phukhet and the beach is large and well kept by the staff. Being away also means that there is not much choice as far as restaurants in the area, so if you stay for a long period it might be getting boring and you might want to rent a car and explore elsewhere for dinner.
My comparison in Pukhet is the Trisara, where I stayed about 3 years ago. The Trisara’s villas are on the top of a hill so they have a view which this property does not enjoy, but the rooms and pools are definitely smaller. Both properties are beautiful but I preferred this one.
Maybe we have been lucky but the service has been good overall. Maybe the presentation on in villa dining could improve, it was not 5 star in my opinion.
I will get back to this hotel because it really is lovely. A thing that is overrated is their Sea-Fire-Salt Restaurant. It was good, but nothing to rave about and quite expensive as well.
However the property, the villa, the ambience, the staff have given us a wonderful couple vacation which we will remember for quite a while.

Room Tip: We had 72 and it looked better located than others. it was close to everything (beach, main pool, re...
1 Thank JDIvoire
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Lovely stay, relaxing and very romantic. Our own private pool was one of the highlights of our trip. Attentive friendly service, we had an internet connection problem, they sent someone straight away and sorted it out within the hour. The rooms were comfortable, well maintained, nice amenties. Breakfast was delicious as was dinner at the on site restaurants. We were there in "low" season so did not experience the over crowdedness and noise that some reviews mentioned, we thought the spa was way over priced for what you receive, for Thailand!!!! yet enjoyed the one spa treatment. We did not swim in the ocean due to the current warnings and if you want a view of the ocean there are none but the pool is beautiful and clean. Our goal was to fall off the radar and this was the perfect setting / place to do just that as it was quite relaxing and romantic.

Room Tip: the 70 and 80 room numbers as they are in the "middle" away from the Marriott and close to...
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We have stayed here twice and both times we are absolutely blown away at the attention to detail. The authenticity of the Thai sala villas has inspired our home decor! The staff are genuine, kind and creative. Such a romantic spot, you may find it hard to leave your gorgeous villa as you can jump from your living area into a stunning, private turquoise pool. The use of retro bicycles around the resort makes for extra fun and the main pool area is heavenly. We adored the restaurant and went there even when we have stayed at different resorts, plus the breakfast is incredibly healthy and full of amazing options. You will not be disappointed, it is a stunning indulgence to stay here. It is definitely an ideal romantic getaway or honeymoon spot.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thailand
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I consider what should have the luxurious hotel in tropics: to settle down on the deserted beach, to have the big territory, in the territory to have tropical jungles and ponds or lagoons, to offer guests accommodation in absolutely private villas with own pools and faultless service. Unbelivable - but we'd got it everything here in past weekend. Room service's menu admired us with the variety of choice of european, oriental, grill, indian and seafood dishes. Well done - to many reasons not to step out from villa. Kids activities - are the best we had seen, our sons enjed making coockeis. In addition I wold like to about restaurant Sea.Fire.Salt. It should be visited for the sake of their house specialties, such as - a bucket of seafood and a grill which served on the hot brick , made of mineral salt

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mihhail i
Hong Kong
Reviewed May 22, 2013

From pick-up to departure, the staff at this resort went out of their way to make us feel welcome. I am sure most of you would agree that the staff set the tone of the stay and the people who work at Anantara clearly are happy, smiley people who truly care about their guests. They were intuitive and so incredibly thoughtful. After realizing that I really liked their homemade prawn crackers, I was plied with them for the duration of my stay. Also, I mentioned in passing that I love chocolate chip cookies, and later that day I found a family sized jar of homemade chocolate chip cookies waiting in my room in a beautiful jar with a ribbon tied around it.

As others have said, breakfast had a very nice selection. The freshly squeezed juices and eggs cooked to order were great. Lunch at La Sala - we dined on Thai and it was some of the best I have eaten around Thailand. I am a chef and can cook Thai quite proficiently, so I am a picky customer. Sala did not disappoint. Dinner we ate 2 nights at Sea Sat Fire, and Saturday night we really enjoyed the fresh local lobster and prawns. The quality of the seafood was top notch, the price point was more than fair, and the staff were attentive. On Sunday night, our experience wasn't quite as good but it was because they were out of prawns... I tend to think they don't get any seafood deliveries on Sundays... So best eat there any day but Sunday. Poolside drinks and snacks are homemade and didn't disappoint. Service was faster than what one normally gets in Thailand, so this picky customer had no complaints.

As far as the room goes, we had a pool villa facing the lagoon and it was perfect for my husband and Me. The bathrooms have clearly been recently redone or just kept in great shape. The bathroom was spacious, light and airy and looked over the ample sized pool. Not what I would call a plunge pool. It was a bigger than plunge pool size, kept in excellent condition and even had an outdoor flanking bathtub which I thought was strange at first, but really ended up thinking it gave the place something other rooms with pool villas don't usually have. The closet was a great size and the bedroom as well. We were greeted by a hand made welcome note on our bed constructed from leaves, and 2 cute crabs woven from leaves as well. Very charming and classily done. I found this to be highly thoughtful. The only thing I will say about the the room was that the mattress could do with changing out. It was pretty uncomfortable and had several dips in it. The foam pillows I requested were however great. I love being able to open the curtains, sliding doors, and fall straight into the pool. The villa had personality and charm.

The main pool was beautiful. It had lots of interesting areas to sit in. We loved the over waterbeds. I would say if there is any part of the whole Anantara experience that I didn't think was up to the rest of the property's caliber, it would be the spa. It looks dated to me, and I did not enjoy my treatment. Living in Hong Kong where we are spoiled with 5 star state-of-the-art spas, the Anantara spa just didn't meet my expectations. My husband however really liked his massage, so perhaps a matter of personal taste.

Finally, this is a hotel for adults. The entire hotel is set on a lagoon with walkways (no railings).. So unless your child can't walk yet or is over the age of about 6, I wouldn't say this resort is not the right fit for you. Management is very open about this and wants everyone to enjoy their stay - not be paranoid that their child will fall into the lagoon or the in villa pool which also cannot be fenced in.

Absolutely excellent stay. I would return every few months if I could. Between the staff, food quality, resort and villa oozing personality, and great location, I loved this place. As a note, we stayed at Trisara in Phuket recently as well, and it is nearly double the price per night, and both my husband and I preferred Anantara and would choose to return here over Trisara.

1 Thank Amestx101
Wollerau
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed there last year in 2012 and simply love everything in it. from our Lagoon villa, to the bar, spa and the restaurants. Lovely beach restaurant for breezy evening dinners, attentive smiling staff and the food will just top it all. There is beauty around you and you have the privacy as well with a touch of exclusivity. Bliss

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 322 in Patong

Been to Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas? Share your experiences!