“Brilliant time but has some flaws”

Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mai Khao
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Brilliant time but has some flaws”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

First impressions were tarnished by a stupid mistake on the hotels part. Arriving in Phuket we had arranged the limousine service to pick us up from the airport which did not arrive. After spending an hour plus we asked for help from the resident Anantara Vacation Club rep at airport. She would only arrange a taxi for us if we agreed to sign up to go to one of their sales presentations. Grudgingly we did and they eventually paid for our taxi to the hotel. Once we arrived, front of house staff admitted to their fault quickly and offered their apologies alongside a complimentary limo departure. We were taken to our lagoon pool villa which looked amazing. These villas are very private and are a good size, also the surronding lagoon and wildlife makes you feel like you are in a wildlife park to an extent. However, after a few days we began to notice a few minor cosmetic faults. There were quite a few missing tiles in the pool and the pool lights weren't working properly.The air conditioning also started making a rather loud noise, they were very quick to rectify this issue though. The room itself was lovely with a very comfortable bed however if you are planning to watch dvds/tv on holiday the television is very far away from the bed and in turn looks very small. The bathroom was very nice and clean and both the indoor and outdoor showers were heavenly to use. One thing that came with a lagoon pool villa was an anatara senses bath. I don't know what senses they were trying to stimulate but they are missing the ball, all it consists of is lukewarm water with a handful of petals thrown in with a couple of tealights at either side of the bath, whole experience a bit lacklustre.Housekeeping seemed slow, and came very late in the day. We were also left one day with no towels. Seems trivial but when you pay these types of prices I don't expect to have to phone for a towel. Breakfast was one of the better I have had in a hotel, massive amount to choose from and great surroundings to enjoy. Make use of the spa, treatments were lovely and the staff very attentive. The main pool is lovely and the bar serves very delicious smoothies. It isn't well used so plenty of space, was a nice change from our villa pool. Hotel is aimed at couples, I think kids would get bored very quickly as there are no activities for them on offer. Cocktail hour in the tree house wasn't advertised well but is worth a visit for the view alone. Room service was also very nice with a large menu. Beach outside is lovely and deserted most of the time, stunning. In all Anantara Phuket is a very nice hotel with beautiful surroundings, I just felt it was lacking something in comparison to the other anantara resort (Lawana in Samui) I have stayed at. Probably won't stay there again.

Room Tip: Stayed in villa 61, location within resort seemed perfect.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Squin83
AnantaraP, General Manager at Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review. I am truly sorry that we fell short in meeting some basic expectations during your visit. I can assure you that I take such feedback seriously and use it to help us improve our guest experience.

If I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Andrew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our 2 nights stay at the beautiful villa. Service staff were extremely attentive when we are dining at the restaurant. We were very impressed by the housekeeping staff who tidied up our room. They even helped to arrange our items on the writing desk and put the tv remote control next to our bed when they turn-down our bed! Except for the stale water smell around the common walkway, our stay at this hotel is truly enjoyable.

• Stayed February 2013
Singapore
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My husband and I take regular weekend trips away to nearby countries. Anantara Phuket definitely tops that list of most relaxing hotel to be in!! Our door to door journey takes slightly over 2 hours and we are in paradise.

The villas are spacious and very private. Basically, there is no need for you to leave your villa once you're in there. Everything can come to you. :))) There are bicycles provided for you to wander around the property. And all seaports are free. We were sailing into the sunset. So beautiful and romantic!!

I forgot to mention. The breakfast is the best!! Most sumptuous spread I've ever seen. Not to be missed!!

Lastly, whether it's a weekend holiday you're looking for or a week long holiday, Anantara is the place!! A bit pricey but worth every penny!!!

We'll be returning soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Me and my better half spent 3 nights at the Anantara at the end of a lengthy tour of the Andaman coast put together by our (highly recommended) travel agent Andaman Adventures. When we arrived the fire lanterns illuminating the driveway took my breath away and set the tone for what would follow, which was a luxurious stay in an extremely elegant and comfortable hotel. The villa was a good size, with sufficient space to avoid the claustrophobic feel that many hotel rooms have, but also with a cozy feel to make you feel like you’re at home. The pool is also a good size and has enough loungers – well, we always got one when we wanted one, anyway. The service here is very good, true 5 star, with staff remembering our favourite drinks and doing helpful things like warning us that a storm was coming and we ought to walk to the restaurant if we felt like doing so soon as otherwise we would have to walk nin the rain (umbrellas are of course provided).
Breakfasts were good and fueled us both up for the day. I have stayed in quite a few 5 star resorts and would put this in the top 10% of places I have stayed at. Thanks for a great stay, we hope to be back.
We booked a couple of trips while here with our travel agent, the June Bahtra cruise into Phang Nga bay (top-end cruise) and an overnight trip to Phi Phi, for more info just google our travel agent Andaman Adventures.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Norddeutschland
Reviewed February 27, 2013

If you are reading this you will most likely already know that this hotel is on a very quite place, not that much around in terms of shopping or inexpensive restaurants and is a perfect spot for spending some very relaxing time in luxury. All the reviews in that sens are perfectly true.

Nevertheless there is another hotel of similar standards just a couple of hundred meters south on the same beach and since we enjoyed both in the highest room category which makes sense for a couple, so no double sleeping rooms,, I will not only mention the facts but also give some comparisons since you might not be in the comfortable situation to try out both but wander which one to book.

General layout and location: The Ananatara has a very generous layout, there are many trees, a lot of flowers, the birdlife is varied and the lagoon makes for a very open and peaceful stay. A lot to enjoy and explore and a bit like a small park. This comes especially true once you have a Sala villa with your own Sala over the Lagoon. The Sala is much more concrete. Both have very good pools and a nice poolbar the one at the Anantara being a bit bigger. The beach is the same, the Anantara is closer to the turtle village (it starts right by the reception). This means that some rooms (in the 10 to 30´s) hear some noise from the major road to the airport.

Rooms: The highest category in the Sala is a bit bigger but does not have the nice sala over the lagoon which is extremely nice for bird watching or a snack. The villas are both very nice with the bathroom being inside the villa at the Anantara. The pool at the Sala is a bit bigger (as the whole villa) so swimming is a bit better. The villas itself are both spacious and luxurious and make for a wonderful stay. The Anantara is more open and offers more green alas that is also the big setback in my opinion. The rooms at the Sala offer total privacy, the rooms at the Anantara are built 4 together and at least one of your neighbors will have a good view inside you garden. Also passersyby may be able to peek inside. The Highest category at the Anantara offers some additional perks, some snacks (some tacos and vegatable sticks plus some spread and a beer per person) in the afternoon, a flowerpetal bath (the bath only separated by a window from the pool is a major treat) and a Loi Krathong ceremony. Nothing to get too excited over but all very nice.

The food:

Hands down, the breakfast at the Anantara is way better. It is maybe the best breakfast I have encountered in my travels (see other hotel revies). 11 kinds of juice, creals, 15 kinds of bread and rolls, at least 6 hot dishes (not counting the soups) heaps of condiments eggs any way you like them (order a poached egg and you get eggs benedicte) cheese, cold cuts, honey, marmelade, even Nutella for those who like it, fruits, every morning we left full to the brim. All very tasty and freshly prepared.

The Thai tapas at the Treehouse are also very nice, the cocktails are done perfectly. We were a bit disappointed by the sea fire salt, the starter mix plate was too much deep fried and the meat and fish we had a s a main was nothing too special. Even considering the standard of the hotel this was overpriced.

We did the cooking class which was really fun and well prepared, I can only recommend this, but skip the breakfast if you go for it.

The staff:

All very pleasant but from time to time, let us just say, operational hickups should not happen but after our complaint we were fully rectified, so no hard feeling there, the hotel was very generous to us to make good for some mistakes so that was a positive point. But in both hotels the staff is equally friendly and nice with but one exception that was the breakfast team at the Anantara. The crew did a wonderful job each morning and we really enjoyed their hospitality. Pla and her crew and their outstanding performance saved the 5 star rating for this hotel (the noise from the street and the lack of privacy would have cost a star due to my preferences).

All in all, the Sala is quiter and offers more privacy, the Anantara is much greener and has (by far) the better breakfast. Just keep one thing in mind, this review is based on the highest room category in both hotels.

Room Tip: Nothing in the 10-30s too close to the street and also some nosie form the neighbours
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
vancouver, canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

The good....

1. Great, nearly empty beach in front of the resort
2. Good restaurants
3. Impressive wine program, especially for SE Asia. Where else can you get Shafer Hillside Select, Lafite or or DRC... of course, Thailand marks up wine 450%, so keep that in mind.
4. Cool pool area, with loungers situated in the shallow pool
5. Probably the most impressive breakfast we saw during a month long travel staying at the best hotels in SE Asia (Six Senses, Amanjiwo, etc.)
6. They have Shisha by the poolside bar. Cool!

The bad...

1. Limited privacy between the villas. Just slatted, thin, wood fences that are about 6 feet high. Other villas we stayed at had 12 ft high solid rock walls.
2. We had trees over our pool... everytime the wind blew, we had hundreds of leaves fill in. There was rust around the bathtub, the doors overlooking the lagoon didn't fully close, the hot water tap on the bathtub could cause 3rd degree burns if touched.
3. Housekeeping can be slow... I guess this happens when you're looking after 80+ villas though

As others mentioned, the mini-bar is outside of the room, but that didn't cause any issues or problems for us. This was also the only resort that we stayed at that tried to sell time shares which I thought was super tacky, but thankfully they weren't annoying or aggressive.

Also, as a quick warning, all the daily activities listed on the whiteboard have a price associated with them, which is very unclear.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CanadaMatt
AnantaraP, General Manager at Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your feedback regarding the villa design and I can certainly use your comments in an effort to improve our guest experience.

Regards,

Andrew Turner
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Normally on a holiday I'm bored and want to explore/experience other things, but five nights here flew by and had me wishing I was staying longer. The resort may have some of the cheesy things like the welcome gong, petals on the bed in your name, the jasmine flower bracelet on arrival but even that was all tastefully done and had me feeling like a queen when I soaked in the outdoor tub that night under the stars with petals and wonderful bath salts. The villas are very comfortable and while they don't have a kitchen, the sala outside is a comfortable dining area if you choose to dine there. The villa pool of course made it more than a good hotel room and that was my reason for selecting this resort over others, I was not disappointed. the resort is located
on a beautiful stretch of beach away from the chaos of Patong beach which was also a selection feature.
The resort is extremely well managed and maintained with supervisors and management continually inspecting all aspects of the premises. Many hotels you're lucky to see a manager once during your stay instead Justin was not only present, but also conversing with all guests to
ensure their needs were catered for. Dining facilities were excellent with a great choice at breakfast buffet. We dined several evenings at Sea, Fire Salt where the food quality was excellent and particularly following disappointing culinary experiences at the other five star hotel
situated close by.
Having lived in Asia before, I was not sure how the spa treatment would be, but have to say it matched the high standard of the resort albeit rather expensive.
In all, the service was excellent throughout the property,staff attentive and helpful at every turn, the main pool very comfortable even if not necessarily an infinity pool with a great view that is portrayed, the beach was coarse golden sand and the sea perfect for swimming but there was no pedlars or anyone hassling you there so perfect relaxation from morning to night

There are not too many hotels or locations I consider returning too, but we are already talking about this for our 2014 vacation.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 322 in Patong

Been to Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas? Share your experiences!