“Overpriced lousy service - do not use”

Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Mai Khao
Hk
“Overpriced lousy service - do not use”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

5 star hotel one star service ---- useless

Gym team / facilities the ONLY thing this hotel has in its favour

Make sure there is not a wedding arranged during your visit otherwise the pool will be off limits

Room Tip: If you do decide to visit despite my review choose the cheapest rooms - sala over dirty water - unus...
6 Thank Rubbish T
AnantaraP, General Manager at Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments and I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please let me know a good time that I can call you to apologise personally and to understand more where we fell short of meeting your expectations.

Please feel free to contact me on aturner@anantara.com

Andrew Turner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

Staffs were eager to serve and are generally very knowledgeable. Food quality and selections are great. The facilities are maintained in very good. If sea plunging is a must, then this is not the place, imagine rip tides! The resort is an hour drive from downtown Phuket, but would not matter if planning on staying exclusively at the resort. There is a nearby convenience store which houses wide selection of products.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Win P
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We recently stayed for 9 nights at the Anantara and had a fantastic time. From check-in to check-out the hotel was brilliant.

We arrived quite late in the evening and I was ill from the travel, as soon as we arrived the staff at reception noticed this and did a very quick check in, taking us straight to the villa. The young man at reception was great and organised a nice cool drink for me to help get rid of my migraine.

We were in the standard pool villa, on the side closet to the Marriott in Villa 2 and had no concerns. I was slightly worried after the other comments about the location but all those concerns went away after the first day as it was very quiet and a great location close to the beach and the main pool, with a very short walk to the main restaurant. We were travelling in a quieter time so maybe this helped.

The room was very clean and throughout our stay was serviced to an exceptionally high standard. The room was also very spacious, and the dressing room between the bathroom and bedroom was an excellent storage area for suitcases etc. The window seat in the villa was a nice feature and made for a very relaxing afternoon nap space.

The restaurants onsite were fantastic as well. We ate at La Sala a number of times and loved it. The staff were very attentive and friendly. The breakfast buffet was also great, the selection was huge and it was all very fresh. We did venture out to the Coffee Club, pub and the surrounding hotels at various points and the food was not great compared to the Anantara. In fact the food next door at the Mariott was the same price and it was absolutely appalling and the staff were surly and rude (the coffee club and pub staff were just not interested in being there). One of the waitresses Beer, in particular, at La Sala stood out. She was one of the friendliest and nicest waitress I have ever encountered and would go out of her way to ensure you didn’t want for anything during the meals. The manager (I think her name was Pha- pretty with short hair) was also incredibly nice and engaging during our stay.

During our stay the main pool and beach were barely in use by other guests, a few people were using them here and there but it was so quiet it felt like we were the only people at the resort. The main pool was great for a swim and the beach was also good, but watch out for the jellyfish (the Marriott next door has a sign up when they are out, if you walk 2 mins down the beach). My husband got stung, however the Anantara staff immediately got him some vinegar and hot water and the sting virtually disappeared overnight. I went for a few walks around other hotels and the pool at the Anantara was an absolute delight compared to the overcrowded and noisy pools of the surrounding hotels.

The hotel staff also helped us organise some great tours, which didn’t seem to have additional charges for booking through the hotel applied. The tours they organised all turned up on time and were great fun.

There were quite a few sales people for the Anantara vacation club about, but once we made it clear we weren’t interested in their presentation they left us alone. They weren’t overly pushy with us and after even we said no they were very respectful and nice.

Overall it was a great hotel and I would highly recommend it to anyone travelling to Phuket.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SnailsMckenzie
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review and positive feedback. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I want to apologise for writing only bad things about the resort below, but all the nice things mentioned in the other reviews are true and the place is excellent.

I just want to bring out the down sides that I experienced during our three nights there in Oct 2012. :

01. The villa where we stayed, (no 56) might be better off with a coat of varnish on the outside deck and some general maintenence on the wooden boards
02. While the resort is excellent in every way, we did not find it really child friendly and I guess it might be targetted to honeymoon or much older couples, but with a child of 3 yrs, it was a problem as :
- No shallow part in the villa pool ( but I guess the steps or the tub could be adapted)
- No railing at the ponds. This is a problem as kids, who are the ones that primararily feed the fishes, get very excited sometimes and its best that there be a railing ( atleast partially) from where safe feeding can be done)
- Poor baby sitting facility - The playarea for kids was pretty deserted during our stay. Probably because of lesser kids and also because it is tucked away in a depressing corner like the gym. Kids love open places and sunlight and this is not a good place for the play area. On top of this, we were advised that only kids above 4 yrs could be left at the playarea, so essentially there was no babysitting in the resort, which was a letdown.

03.Breakfast Buffet : Excellent beverages. Never experienced the variety of such juices before and thoroughly enjoyed them. The mango lassi was out of this world.

That said, the variety of food over the days did not vary much and probably more could be done about it. After reading so much about the morning buffet in the older reviews, I was probably expecting much more, but honestly the buffet was rather average when you consider the resort. As I said, only their juices and beverages were outstanding.

04. I am afraid I do have to repeat the grouse with the Vacation club sales rep. The problem is that there are too many of them & you simply can't ask them to not do their jobs. It would probably be a good idea to reduce the sales rep on the ground and reposition them somewhere else. This would ensure that the same people are not asked regarding the presentation every time they go the the turtle village or pass the reception.

It was an excellent saty and I am only denying it a 5 star due to the fact that I expected the resort to be more child friendly.

5 Thank anujvelu
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to read that you found our resort excellent. I am sorry to read that you felt our resort was not toddler friendly. We certainly strive to provide a great environment for all our guest in including children. We receive so many comments that our resort does in fact suits families as we are 100% private pool villas and the children can play in the pool without the parents having to leave the comfort of the villas. We have a detailed baby menu, baby sitting service, kids activity program, baby amenities and more all to try and ensure that both children and parents are comfortable. I am sorry that you were not made aware of this.

I am sorry that you found the need to comment on the vacation club marketing team. The vacation club is aware of this feedback.

Once again thank you for your review and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Hangzhou, China
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My family spent here several days in their Pool Villa (cheapest "standard" villa). This was my 3rd visit to Phuket & 1st visit to any Anantara resort (and likely not last).

Let’s get the pros and cons of Anantara

Pros:
-Bedroom is spacious and ideal for a couple
-It can also accommodate one child in an additional bed
-Layout is pretty good, overall it is an L-shaped villa
-Villa is Thai style (++ if this is what you are looking after)
-We had enough privacy in our villa & it was very relaxing to stay at our own pool & small sala
-Nice sun deck
-Good breakfast, everything was of high quality + they had enough fruits (except readily peeled mangos)
-At breakfast they did serve several foods directly to our table (when requested e.g scrambled eggs & smoked salmon >> could not find any salmon at their buffet)
-Overall service level in Anantara was very good & breakfasts were handled smartly
-Long breakfast hours (7am to 11am)
-Just as a comparison their service is better than in many so called good resorts run by Hilton, Intercontinental etc.
-Check-in is possible at your villa (just ask it)

Cons:
-Some signs of wear and tear (mainly in bathroom and outside in sala, I’d say it can be seen in wider scale too)
-Some gekkos (outside) & various insects (but this is normal in villa environment, can never be avoided, not necessarily a negative thing, but just good to mention)
-I did not spot life guard at pool side (maybe my mistake?)
-Restaurant selection was bit limited (both at Anantara & in nearby area)
-They are on pushy side selling their time share vacation program (this may annoy some fellow travelers, it was on pushy side for me too)
-They did not have a fridge inside (easily could have two, what’s the point of going out late evening / during heavy rain just to get a bottle of beer?)
-Families would also appreciate second toilet
-One room key only
-Rather bad exchange rates (at least for Euros & Sterling Pounds) >> switch your money at Turtle village

Beach:
-Quite nice looking, but nothing extraordinary
-Sand is bit rougher than at other beaches I have been swimming in Phuket (Pansea, Surin)
-Beach is narrow and it declines rather quickly, so walking is bit harder
-We had yellow flags and even then beach would only fit good swimmers, I was the only swimmer
-When you get to water it does deepen very very quickly & waves can be strong during this time of the year (keep your kids away!)

Swimming pools:
-The pool at our villa is big enough for children (actually pretty ideal), but bit too small for adults
-Public pools were ok, but nothing spectacular

Other guests:
-Well behaving
-Mainly couples
-I did spot a good mix of Asians & Westerners (English speaking, Chinese & due to hotel’s good privacy most guests remained of unknown origin)
-Some children (rather well behaving ones vs. most resorts)

Surrounding area:
-Well, there is really not much here to see
-You can’t really walk much around (except on 8km long Mai Khao beach…). This was bit negative as we really enjoy walking.
-Nearby Turtle Village (same developers as behind Anantara) does have ok supermarket (called Turtle Mart, not too pricey), Bill Bentley pub, Coffee club + various clothing shops (Triumph, Esprit etc).
-The Pub actually was pretty ok (happy hour goes from 4 to 7pm and it is Heineken only, standard Bill Bentley burger is tasty, same can’t be said of their low quality kid burger, we did play darts & billiard. Overall their service is ok and I will write separate reviews on nearby restaurants).
-Coffee club has abysmal service & so so food in our opinion
-Kin Dee, local Thai restaurant is around 1km dangerous walk away from hotel – note they do deliver rather tasty & good value Thai food without extra cost (assume you spend over 500 baht)
-Do avoid walking on the nearby highway, it is rather dangerous (the road going from Sarasin bridge towards airport)
-Taking taxi to Kin Dee would cost 500 baht two way

Improvement ideas:
# Some renovation (maintenance) is going to be needed rather soon
# It would make sense to have another fridge & additional toilet inside villas
# Surrounding area: I would love to have few more local (seafood) restaurants (this could be good for the resorts actually, i.e. making Mai Khao more alive & making guests to return, folks are not looking for “Starbucks”, rather real Thai atmosphere, strip of something interesting)

Final comments:
I would recommend Anantara to any fellow traveler who is looking for decent 5 star villa resort. It should not disappoint you, unless you have been completely spoilt. It's good for honeymooners too. I could surely stay here or at another Anantara resort again (but would prefer avoiding their sales pitches during my holiday).

And based on our stay & having a look around go for the Pool villa. It is best value choice.
Also I would pick a villa, which is not very close to Marriott. Villa numbers 46 to 69 might be ideal (less through traffic, i.e. better peace). I did understand that several people were here on promotional packages, which were much below the “official” price levels. We did not pay extra for the airport pick-ups. And assume reasonable taxi to/from airport should cost around 500 baht one way.

Room Tip: Go for the Deluxe Pool villa. It is best value. Also I would pick a villa, which is not very close t...
6 Thank Abramis
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review. I certainly appreciate all your positive comments and I understand from your final summary that you enjoyed your overall experience with us.

I will review all your feedback with the team and I have forwarded your comments onto our vacation club. I am sorry that you found them pushy and that you will avoid them next time.

I certainly hope to welcome you back to our resort in the future.

General Manager.
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have stayed in Anantara for 3 nights as a second step of our honeymoon after Amari Coral in Patong beach.

The resort is simply magnificent, service is more than great, very Calm

Advantages:
- Full privacy in the Villa.
- There is nothing you can feel you miss in the villa.
- Beach is very clean and resort's swimming pool is great having a bar, Jacuzzi and is very big.
- Service is great, Villa is cleaned twice a day.
- Breakfast was great.
- Seafood Restaurant is very good,

Disadvantages:
- We have found lizard more than once in the villa's bedroom, but the room service reacted quickly and caught it.
- The place is far from Phuket Activities.

Finally, I want to be back again and I 100% recommend it

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amr T
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I certainly appreciate all your positive comments and your 100% recommendation.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed at this lovely resort for a good 4 nights in Sept 2012.
My husband and I were traveling with our 7-month-old baby for a getaway from our hectic lives in HK....
I read about another review saying that they had a good list of baby products like a baby cot/playpen, highchair, a baby bath and toiletry for babies and even a bottle steriliser!!!! I was pretty pleased and decided to book this resort given its amazing pool villa and its baby friendliness.

Before embarking on the trip, I sent an email asking the resort to provide the cot, highchair, steriliser and bath. My email was quickly responded and I was assured the requests were all taken care of. They also volunteered that freshly prepared baby food was provided without charge and they sent me their menu. It was really thoughtful of them and I really like that they provided us the menu again upon check-in. I would not have printed it out anyway.

On arrival, we were warmly welcomed with a nice garland. The staff at the reception told us our villa was not ready (we arrived early like noon time before the usual check-in time). I was a bit upset because we were traveling with a small baby and would really want to settle in ASAP. But they offered to relax in their bar and offered us free drinks (non-alcoholic).

After about 1 hour, our villa was ready and we were escorted to it. Housekeeping staff was still in there cleaning up. I did not mind and they left within 2-3 minutes after we arrived. All the baby amenities were nicely arranged in places where they should be. How thoughtful....

They upgraded us to a villa with lagoon view, only that the doors to the lagoon view were not working and could not open. So I don't consider that an upgrade. But the villa itself was extraordinary. It was divided into a bedroom, walk-in closet and then a bathroom. The bed was really big (bigger than a king) with a nice daybed. The pool was very nice. Big enough to swim. My baby girl enjoyed it heaps. There was a turtle jetting water into the pool and that could be a bit noisy if u wanna take a nap in the afternoon. They turned it off at night. I would appreciate it if I could turn it on and off in the villa.

The thing I was not happy about is that we had been asked many times whether we were there on a promotion package. We were not and had no idea what they were talking about at first. We booked it through hotels.com. Afterwards, we realised the Anantara vacation Club was doing promotional 2 night packages at the resort to sell their membership. And the promotion package is a lot lot cheaper than what we have paid!!!! That kinda upsets me for paying the extra money. The promoters from the club, located right next to reception, asked us twice to attend their introductory seminar. Since we were only hanging out in the resort most of the time and they were offering attractive spa coupons upon attending (joining of the vacation club is not a must), we decided to give it a go. The vacation club introduction was quite pushy. So don't go if you think you are easily persuaded.

Breakfast was nice but variation could improve. We were there 4 days and had the same food for 4 days. I wish they could have changed a bit every day. The juice selection is the best I have ever had, not only fruit juices. They also had herbal juice like rosella juice, ginger juice, lemongrass tea etc. That was my favourite part of breakfast. The other restaurant sea fire salt offered nice Thai food and pizza/pasta. My husband liked their Anantara burger a lot!

We ordered the baby food twice only since she was only 7 months old and could not eat most of the food on the menu. The food was not pureed enough. The pieces were too big for a toothless 7 months to eat. But come on, I guess not many ppl traveled with such young babies. For families with kid older than 1 year old, you dont have to bring baby food!!

I had a spa on the third day of my stay. The scrub was good but the massage was horrible!!!! The masseuse had no idea where my pressure points were and I was only in pain instead of feeling relieved when she pressed. I tried to asked her to change the strength a couple times and it was not much of a difference so I had to bear with her for 90 minutes. When I was checking out at the spa, the receptionist asked me how my spa was and I told her I didnt like it. She was only blank, looked like she was dumbstruck by my blunt comment. She did not say anything and I just left. I was furious for the whole evening because this was not acceptable at a 5-star resort let alone in Thailand. I could have just randomly went to a roadside parlour and had a much better massage. I was also furious that the receptionist did not say anything after telling her my bad experience. The next afternoon, someone at the spa called in and apologised to me and offered a free compensatory massage. This massage was good and I felt much better afterwards.

The shortcoming to some is its location. It is indeed really far from Patong and anywhere else except the airport. However if you are not planning to leave the resort often during your stay, it will not bother u at all. There was a nearby small shopping centre called the turtle village. A minimart as well as a cafe came in handy. The food at the cafe was even better than the restaurants in the resort.

The staff is all v v friendly, maybe the most friendly we have encountered. Everyone was always smiling and was very courteous. They even offered to take care of our baby girl while we ate!! Ann from the restaurants and Pang from the front desk wore the biggest smile and loved playing with our baby.

To sum it up, it is a great resort to enjoy your vacation in. It is worth every dollar we paid. Nonetheless, I would have joined the promotion package if I knew before hand, its like 25-30% cheaper than booking through any agent. Only drawback is that you have to attend their seminar selling their membership.

Room Tip: go to anantara vacation club to check out the promotion...... its really good deal... any villa is...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mattababie
AnantaraP, General Manager at Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your positive comments and I would like to apologize for the areas in which we fell short of meeting your expectations.

I am truly sorry that your spa experience was not enjoyable and I can assure you that I have addressed this with our spa team.

I have shared your feedback with our vacation club team and I am sorry that you found the presentation pushy.

I would be happy to talk with you personally and please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Trisara Phuket
Trisara Phuket
#2 of 96 in Thalang District

Been to Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas? Share your experiences!