“Pretty good”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Mai Khao
Hangzhou, China
“Pretty good”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My family spent here several days in their Pool Villa (cheapest "standard" villa). This was my 3rd visit to Phuket & 1st visit to any Anantara resort (and likely not last).

Let’s get the pros and cons of Anantara

Pros:
-Bedroom is spacious and ideal for a couple
-It can also accommodate one child in an additional bed
-Layout is pretty good, overall it is an L-shaped villa
-Villa is Thai style (++ if this is what you are looking after)
-We had enough privacy in our villa & it was very relaxing to stay at our own pool & small sala
-Nice sun deck
-Good breakfast, everything was of high quality + they had enough fruits (except readily peeled mangos)
-At breakfast they did serve several foods directly to our table (when requested e.g scrambled eggs & smoked salmon >> could not find any salmon at their buffet)
-Overall service level in Anantara was very good & breakfasts were handled smartly
-Long breakfast hours (7am to 11am)
-Just as a comparison their service is better than in many so called good resorts run by Hilton, Intercontinental etc.
-Check-in is possible at your villa (just ask it)

Cons:
-Some signs of wear and tear (mainly in bathroom and outside in sala, I’d say it can be seen in wider scale too)
-Some gekkos (outside) & various insects (but this is normal in villa environment, can never be avoided, not necessarily a negative thing, but just good to mention)
-I did not spot life guard at pool side (maybe my mistake?)
-Restaurant selection was bit limited (both at Anantara & in nearby area)
-They are on pushy side selling their time share vacation program (this may annoy some fellow travelers, it was on pushy side for me too)
-They did not have a fridge inside (easily could have two, what’s the point of going out late evening / during heavy rain just to get a bottle of beer?)
-Families would also appreciate second toilet
-One room key only
-Rather bad exchange rates (at least for Euros & Sterling Pounds) >> switch your money at Turtle village

Beach:
-Quite nice looking, but nothing extraordinary
-Sand is bit rougher than at other beaches I have been swimming in Phuket (Pansea, Surin)
-Beach is narrow and it declines rather quickly, so walking is bit harder
-We had yellow flags and even then beach would only fit good swimmers, I was the only swimmer
-When you get to water it does deepen very very quickly & waves can be strong during this time of the year (keep your kids away!)

Swimming pools:
-The pool at our villa is big enough for children (actually pretty ideal), but bit too small for adults
-Public pools were ok, but nothing spectacular

Other guests:
-Well behaving
-Mainly couples
-I did spot a good mix of Asians & Westerners (English speaking, Chinese & due to hotel’s good privacy most guests remained of unknown origin)
-Some children (rather well behaving ones vs. most resorts)

Surrounding area:
-Well, there is really not much here to see
-You can’t really walk much around (except on 8km long Mai Khao beach…). This was bit negative as we really enjoy walking.
-Nearby Turtle Village (same developers as behind Anantara) does have ok supermarket (called Turtle Mart, not too pricey), Bill Bentley pub, Coffee club + various clothing shops (Triumph, Esprit etc).
-The Pub actually was pretty ok (happy hour goes from 4 to 7pm and it is Heineken only, standard Bill Bentley burger is tasty, same can’t be said of their low quality kid burger, we did play darts & billiard. Overall their service is ok and I will write separate reviews on nearby restaurants).
-Coffee club has abysmal service & so so food in our opinion
-Kin Dee, local Thai restaurant is around 1km dangerous walk away from hotel – note they do deliver rather tasty & good value Thai food without extra cost (assume you spend over 500 baht)
-Do avoid walking on the nearby highway, it is rather dangerous (the road going from Sarasin bridge towards airport)
-Taking taxi to Kin Dee would cost 500 baht two way

Improvement ideas:
# Some renovation (maintenance) is going to be needed rather soon
# It would make sense to have another fridge & additional toilet inside villas
# Surrounding area: I would love to have few more local (seafood) restaurants (this could be good for the resorts actually, i.e. making Mai Khao more alive & making guests to return, folks are not looking for “Starbucks”, rather real Thai atmosphere, strip of something interesting)

Final comments:
I would recommend Anantara to any fellow traveler who is looking for decent 5 star villa resort. It should not disappoint you, unless you have been completely spoilt. It's good for honeymooners too. I could surely stay here or at another Anantara resort again (but would prefer avoiding their sales pitches during my holiday).

And based on our stay & having a look around go for the Pool villa. It is best value choice.
Also I would pick a villa, which is not very close to Marriott. Villa numbers 46 to 69 might be ideal (less through traffic, i.e. better peace). I did understand that several people were here on promotional packages, which were much below the “official” price levels. We did not pay extra for the airport pick-ups. And assume reasonable taxi to/from airport should cost around 500 baht one way.

Room Tip: Go for the Deluxe Pool villa. It is best value. Also I would pick a villa, which is not very close t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Abramis
AnantaraP, General Manager at Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review. I certainly appreciate all your positive comments and I understand from your final summary that you enjoyed your overall experience with us.

I will review all your feedback with the team and I have forwarded your comments onto our vacation club. I am sorry that you found them pushy and that you will avoid them next time.

I certainly hope to welcome you back to our resort in the future.

General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We have stayed in Anantara for 3 nights as a second step of our honeymoon after Amari Coral in Patong beach.

The resort is simply magnificent, service is more than great, very Calm

Advantages:
- Full privacy in the Villa.
- There is nothing you can feel you miss in the villa.
- Beach is very clean and resort's swimming pool is great having a bar, Jacuzzi and is very big.
- Service is great, Villa is cleaned twice a day.
- Breakfast was great.
- Seafood Restaurant is very good,

Disadvantages:
- We have found lizard more than once in the villa's bedroom, but the room service reacted quickly and caught it.
- The place is far from Phuket Activities.

Finally, I want to be back again and I 100% recommend it

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amr T
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I certainly appreciate all your positive comments and your 100% recommendation.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed at this lovely resort for a good 4 nights in Sept 2012.
My husband and I were traveling with our 7-month-old baby for a getaway from our hectic lives in HK....
I read about another review saying that they had a good list of baby products like a baby cot/playpen, highchair, a baby bath and toiletry for babies and even a bottle steriliser!!!! I was pretty pleased and decided to book this resort given its amazing pool villa and its baby friendliness.

Before embarking on the trip, I sent an email asking the resort to provide the cot, highchair, steriliser and bath. My email was quickly responded and I was assured the requests were all taken care of. They also volunteered that freshly prepared baby food was provided without charge and they sent me their menu. It was really thoughtful of them and I really like that they provided us the menu again upon check-in. I would not have printed it out anyway.

On arrival, we were warmly welcomed with a nice garland. The staff at the reception told us our villa was not ready (we arrived early like noon time before the usual check-in time). I was a bit upset because we were traveling with a small baby and would really want to settle in ASAP. But they offered to relax in their bar and offered us free drinks (non-alcoholic).

After about 1 hour, our villa was ready and we were escorted to it. Housekeeping staff was still in there cleaning up. I did not mind and they left within 2-3 minutes after we arrived. All the baby amenities were nicely arranged in places where they should be. How thoughtful....

They upgraded us to a villa with lagoon view, only that the doors to the lagoon view were not working and could not open. So I don't consider that an upgrade. But the villa itself was extraordinary. It was divided into a bedroom, walk-in closet and then a bathroom. The bed was really big (bigger than a king) with a nice daybed. The pool was very nice. Big enough to swim. My baby girl enjoyed it heaps. There was a turtle jetting water into the pool and that could be a bit noisy if u wanna take a nap in the afternoon. They turned it off at night. I would appreciate it if I could turn it on and off in the villa.

The thing I was not happy about is that we had been asked many times whether we were there on a promotion package. We were not and had no idea what they were talking about at first. We booked it through hotels.com. Afterwards, we realised the Anantara vacation Club was doing promotional 2 night packages at the resort to sell their membership. And the promotion package is a lot lot cheaper than what we have paid!!!! That kinda upsets me for paying the extra money. The promoters from the club, located right next to reception, asked us twice to attend their introductory seminar. Since we were only hanging out in the resort most of the time and they were offering attractive spa coupons upon attending (joining of the vacation club is not a must), we decided to give it a go. The vacation club introduction was quite pushy. So don't go if you think you are easily persuaded.

Breakfast was nice but variation could improve. We were there 4 days and had the same food for 4 days. I wish they could have changed a bit every day. The juice selection is the best I have ever had, not only fruit juices. They also had herbal juice like rosella juice, ginger juice, lemongrass tea etc. That was my favourite part of breakfast. The other restaurant sea fire salt offered nice Thai food and pizza/pasta. My husband liked their Anantara burger a lot!

We ordered the baby food twice only since she was only 7 months old and could not eat most of the food on the menu. The food was not pureed enough. The pieces were too big for a toothless 7 months to eat. But come on, I guess not many ppl traveled with such young babies. For families with kid older than 1 year old, you dont have to bring baby food!!

I had a spa on the third day of my stay. The scrub was good but the massage was horrible!!!! The masseuse had no idea where my pressure points were and I was only in pain instead of feeling relieved when she pressed. I tried to asked her to change the strength a couple times and it was not much of a difference so I had to bear with her for 90 minutes. When I was checking out at the spa, the receptionist asked me how my spa was and I told her I didnt like it. She was only blank, looked like she was dumbstruck by my blunt comment. She did not say anything and I just left. I was furious for the whole evening because this was not acceptable at a 5-star resort let alone in Thailand. I could have just randomly went to a roadside parlour and had a much better massage. I was also furious that the receptionist did not say anything after telling her my bad experience. The next afternoon, someone at the spa called in and apologised to me and offered a free compensatory massage. This massage was good and I felt much better afterwards.

The shortcoming to some is its location. It is indeed really far from Patong and anywhere else except the airport. However if you are not planning to leave the resort often during your stay, it will not bother u at all. There was a nearby small shopping centre called the turtle village. A minimart as well as a cafe came in handy. The food at the cafe was even better than the restaurants in the resort.

The staff is all v v friendly, maybe the most friendly we have encountered. Everyone was always smiling and was very courteous. They even offered to take care of our baby girl while we ate!! Ann from the restaurants and Pang from the front desk wore the biggest smile and loved playing with our baby.

To sum it up, it is a great resort to enjoy your vacation in. It is worth every dollar we paid. Nonetheless, I would have joined the promotion package if I knew before hand, its like 25-30% cheaper than booking through any agent. Only drawback is that you have to attend their seminar selling their membership.

Room Tip: go to anantara vacation club to check out the promotion...... its really good deal... any villa is...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mattababie
AnantaraP, General Manager at Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. I appreciate your positive comments and I would like to apologize for the areas in which we fell short of meeting your expectations.

I am truly sorry that your spa experience was not enjoyable and I can assure you that I have addressed this with our spa team.

I have shared your feedback with our vacation club team and I am sorry that you found the presentation pushy.

I would be happy to talk with you personally and please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

Most of the staff here were really helpful, and I wouldn't want to detract from there efforts in making our holiday great. The pool villa was really nice, the layout was great with a nice little private pool. The breakfast in the mornings was great with lots of variety. OK the thing I didn't like, its a brilliant peaceful setting, but every time we walk past the reception or on the beach, or in the turtle village, there's a sales rep ranting on about the Anantara Vacation Club, so we thought ok, we would go, as we're offered 6000Bht voucher if we listened for 90mins. This was the most painstaking 2 hours actually of my life, both me and my fiancé said 5 words throughout this presentation, and is absolutely draining to hear about it, and after they push you so hard for a sale. So after the presentation finished I was waiting for my vouchers, and then I was told we couldn't get them because we were under the age of 30, so I went through all that for nothing. Eventually I'm glad that we went to the managers drinks and mentioned this to Andrew, he managed to obtain 3000THB vouchers for us, so we got something in return.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Km76
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and positive comments about our resort. I am delighted that I had the chance to meet you in the tree house and learn about your experience with our vacation club. I am truly sorry that you did not have a positive experience with the presentation and I appreciate that you brought this to my attention so I was able to assist.

I hope that I will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

swindon
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My friend and I wanted a luxury holiday in Phuket and we definitely got it with Anantara. We arrived very early hours of the morning after a painful 1 hour queue through phuket immigration and wow...we were pleasantly impressed. The photos on the web are exactly how it looks. But you don't get the softer touches through only looking at the photos. The villas are awesome, the breakfast is superb, the staff super helpful. My friend got a bit sick one day and the hotel nurse was responsive and very helpful. Saved her a much higher cost of a doctor call out and she gave quite a few appropriate meds. I loved this place. Yes the only downside is that it's miles from anywhere and expensive local taxis (captive market!) + a 50 mins drive into patong. But if you're looking for a luxurious stay close to the airport then look no further. If you want to party every night then it's not the place for you.

thank you anantara for a wonderful introduction to your resorts...my aim now is to try out another one very soon and decide which one to celebrate my 40th birthday at next year! Hopefully they all match up to same expectations.

Room Tip: villa 71 was great...close enough to restaurants and lobby/entrance and not too far from pool/beach.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank zoe12583
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you left with such a positive impression of our resort.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Too much written abt this already so will cut to the chase...great ambience, great accommodation and feels like we just landed in heaven...hahaha, not used to so much luxury and pampering...all good...nothing negative to say..The breakfast, to die for....the longest bread and pastries table I have ever seen...for bread lovers....and by the way, the ducks and fish in this place gets fed with these leftover bread...so they enjoy the luxury too!!
One observation, saw one of the waitress pop a dried fruit fm the breakfast spread to her mouth...she didn't know I was watching...hahahha...not 5 star performance for a 5 star resort.. Ah, the Turtle Village, a blessing in disguise...try the Coffee Club, good food, good price, although not cheap but MUCH CHEAPER than the resort...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Taipei101
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and positive comments. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My boyfriend planned a birthday getaway weekend for me from Oct 5-Oct 7. The villa was very nice and spacious. The SPA was excellent. The public pool and private beach were amazingly beautiful. We enjoyed our stay very much!

Not only the facility but the service was the best. We were all amazed by the service and little touches from the entire hotel staff. From receiving the personal hand writing welcome card written by the general manager to those cute and creative goodnight messages left on the leaves during the turndown service from the housekeepers, and the most surprisingly thing was, we went to the restaurant to have our last breakfast yesterday, right after my boyfriend and I took the food, sat down, there were about 5 restaurant staff showed up at our table with a nice chocolate cake and singing me birthday song!!! I was literally surprised and thought my boyfriend arranged it in advance. But my boyfriend said he didn’t arrange anything at all, that was prepared by the hotel…. I was speechless. One of the restaurant named "Kao" said to us, she knew we were checking out yesterday and was afraid that we wouldn't show up for breakfast so she had been waiting for us...." We both felt very touched by the service and the nice memory and experiences provided by the hotel. We will definitely come back again soon!!

I studied hotel management in college and have being travelling around staying different hotels. Think Anantara Phuket’s service is the best so far. It beats everything else! We would like to thank the entire team to make our stay so wonderful!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive review. I am truly delighted to read your feedback and to learn that you left our resort with such positive memories.

If I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mai Khao
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Trisara Phuket
Trisara Phuket
#2 of 95 in Thalang District

Been to Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas? Share your experiences!