My family spent here several days in their Pool Villa (cheapest "standard" villa). This was my 3rd visit to Phuket & 1st visit to any Anantara resort (and likely not last).
Let’s get the pros and cons of Anantara
-Bedroom is spacious and ideal for a couple
-It can also accommodate one child in an additional bed
-Layout is pretty good, overall it is an L-shaped villa
-Villa is Thai style (++ if this is what you are looking after)
-We had enough privacy in our villa & it was very relaxing to stay at our own pool & small sala
-Nice sun deck
-Good breakfast, everything was of high quality + they had enough fruits (except readily peeled mangos)
-At breakfast they did serve several foods directly to our table (when requested e.g scrambled eggs & smoked salmon >> could not find any salmon at their buffet)
-Overall service level in Anantara was very good & breakfasts were handled smartly
-Long breakfast hours (7am to 11am)
-Just as a comparison their service is better than in many so called good resorts run by Hilton, Intercontinental etc.
-Check-in is possible at your villa (just ask it)
-Some signs of wear and tear (mainly in bathroom and outside in sala, I’d say it can be seen in wider scale too)
-Some gekkos (outside) & various insects (but this is normal in villa environment, can never be avoided, not necessarily a negative thing, but just good to mention)
-I did not spot life guard at pool side (maybe my mistake?)
-Restaurant selection was bit limited (both at Anantara & in nearby area)
-They are on pushy side selling their time share vacation program (this may annoy some fellow travelers, it was on pushy side for me too)
-They did not have a fridge inside (easily could have two, what’s the point of going out late evening / during heavy rain just to get a bottle of beer?)
-Families would also appreciate second toilet
-One room key only
-Rather bad exchange rates (at least for Euros & Sterling Pounds) >> switch your money at Turtle village
-Quite nice looking, but nothing extraordinary
-Sand is bit rougher than at other beaches I have been swimming in Phuket (Pansea, Surin)
-Beach is narrow and it declines rather quickly, so walking is bit harder
-We had yellow flags and even then beach would only fit good swimmers, I was the only swimmer
-When you get to water it does deepen very very quickly & waves can be strong during this time of the year (keep your kids away!)
-The pool at our villa is big enough for children (actually pretty ideal), but bit too small for adults
-Public pools were ok, but nothing spectacular
-I did spot a good mix of Asians & Westerners (English speaking, Chinese & due to hotel’s good privacy most guests remained of unknown origin)
-Some children (rather well behaving ones vs. most resorts)
-Well, there is really not much here to see
-You can’t really walk much around (except on 8km long Mai Khao beach…). This was bit negative as we really enjoy walking.
-Nearby Turtle Village (same developers as behind Anantara) does have ok supermarket (called Turtle Mart, not too pricey), Bill Bentley pub, Coffee club + various clothing shops (Triumph, Esprit etc).
-The Pub actually was pretty ok (happy hour goes from 4 to 7pm and it is Heineken only, standard Bill Bentley burger is tasty, same can’t be said of their low quality kid burger, we did play darts & billiard. Overall their service is ok and I will write separate reviews on nearby restaurants).
-Coffee club has abysmal service & so so food in our opinion
-Kin Dee, local Thai restaurant is around 1km dangerous walk away from hotel – note they do deliver rather tasty & good value Thai food without extra cost (assume you spend over 500 baht)
-Do avoid walking on the nearby highway, it is rather dangerous (the road going from Sarasin bridge towards airport)
-Taking taxi to Kin Dee would cost 500 baht two way
# Some renovation (maintenance) is going to be needed rather soon
# It would make sense to have another fridge & additional toilet inside villas
# Surrounding area: I would love to have few more local (seafood) restaurants (this could be good for the resorts actually, i.e. making Mai Khao more alive & making guests to return, folks are not looking for “Starbucks”, rather real Thai atmosphere, strip of something interesting)
I would recommend Anantara to any fellow traveler who is looking for decent 5 star villa resort. It should not disappoint you, unless you have been completely spoilt. It's good for honeymooners too. I could surely stay here or at another Anantara resort again (but would prefer avoiding their sales pitches during my holiday).
And based on our stay & having a look around go for the Pool villa. It is best value choice.
Also I would pick a villa, which is not very close to Marriott. Villa numbers 46 to 69 might be ideal (less through traffic, i.e. better peace). I did understand that several people were here on promotional packages, which were much below the “official” price levels. We did not pay extra for the airport pick-ups. And assume reasonable taxi to/from airport should cost around 500 baht one way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away in the charming tropical beauty of Thailand's premier island destination, Anantara Phuket Villas provides a luxurious refuge that opens out onto unspoiled panoramas. Awake to the sight of virgin sands backed by the lush vegetation of Sirinath National Park. Trek through the dense jungle by elephant to discover untouched island wonders. Relax in your private pool villa surrounded by the finest materials and design. Our Phuket resort puts the upmost emphasis on designer relaxation and guests' privacy, with 91 private Phuket pool villas scattered harmoniously across a prime stretch of Mai Khao Beach. Complimenting our luxury resort's tropically inviting accommodation is a host of services and facilities of the highest standard, including premium restaurants, bars and leisure facilities. Anantara Phuket's glorious contemporary design is inspired by a location that offers an array of activities, from diving in pristine waters to learning the ancient art of Thai cookery. The full delights of Anantara Phuket Villas are ready for you to enjoy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Hotel.de so you can book your Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anantara Phuket Villas Hotel Mai Khao
- Anantara Hotel Mai Khao
- Anantara Hotel Phuket
- Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas