“Amazing Property, Beyond Amazing Service.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas

Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Mai Khao
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing Property, Beyond Amazing Service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

We found Anantara via JetSetter and trust all the properties recommended by JetSetter. Anantara was no exception. After reading a few of the negative reviews here, i was not worried about leaves in our pool, sand not so white, or a long walk to the beach from the villa.

Arrival: We arrived at the property at 1:00 AM after 20+ hours of travel from California. We were greeted with a smile and cold towels and taken direct to our villa. There was no hint of miscommunication or anything negative from the reception staff, quite the opposite. Our introduction to the Thai people was warm and inviting. They are AMAZING.

Villa: Absolutely spacious and off the charts. Huge grounds with a deep pool. Wonderful lighting accents outside and inside. The outside sitting area had a ceiling fan, doors lead out to our over the lagoon "sala". The sala had a fan and lighting as well. The lagoon was a wonderful place to hang out and relax, take morning coffee, watch the white ducks, it was private as well, as we must have been the only couple using their Sala. The room was well appointed with lotions, shampoo and conditioner, candles, rose peddles to pour in the outside bath tub. Clean wood floors, super cozy bed. Treats were supplied day and night, fruit, tea, sweets. We loved taking our morning coffee using the coffee machine. Open huge sliding doors in the main room and jump in the pool. Open the huge sliding doors in the bathroom and jump in the pool. We showered outside every day in our private outdoor shower. Those that complained about having to walk outside to get to the mini bar??? Seriously??? The rooms were just fantastic, one of the best rooms i have been in. I have been to One and Only properties world wide, I have been in Aman properties worldwide, i have been in Banyan Tree Properties world wide, Anantara Phuket takes the prize hands down.

Staff: Amazing. I can't stress the importance of service in any industry. Where have you been that you remember all the staff that served you? Ding, Pom, Mai, JiJi, Mun at the infinity bar. These people took care of us better then family. We did not have to request our pool location on day 2, it was laid out and ready for us, same with the remainder of the trip. If i sat up and looked like i needed anything, the staff was there to ask. I recall rolling up my shirt and putting it under my girlfriends head...i minute later Ding was there with 2 more towels rolled up as head rests. They would go into the surrounding foliage and pick leaves, boil them and create a sweet native drinks for us, served all day long. They set up lunch for us in over stuffed chairs, i wanted items that were not on the lunch menu, NO PROBLEM, red curry was gladly brought out to me. Gag, Bowl and the rest of the staff in the Tree house had a space reserved for us every sunset. We sat and watched the clouds roll by while drinking a bottle of wine and eating tapas, our glasses topped before i could think that i needed more. The staff at breakfast was more of the same, teaching us Thai phrases, knowing how we take our coffee, insisting on bringing us special dishes not in on the menu.

Food: No doubt you read other reviews of the breakfast. it was wonderful. A wide variety of dishes, pastries and local treats. Young coconuts topped off ready for drinking, fresh juices, cheese, meats, eggs to order, fantastic European coffee, asian style foods. In 7 days we did not get bored! Sea, Fire, Salt was just OK. We had an average dinners there, the location and view were fantastic. In room dining was wonderful, tasty thai brought hot and fresh to your room in about 45 minutes. We did not eat at the other restaurant for dinner, but did have nice tapas at the tree house as previously noted.

Spa: The same over the top treatment and wonderful service. We had 2 days of treatments during our stay. Both in couples rooms. An avocado wrap followed by a swedish massage, then the a herbal bag filled with sand and heated was used to massage us on the second day. The setting and the rooms were fantastic and the price is what i would expect to pay for the location and service.

Special: Justin Pitt is one of the executive managers at the location. I was fortunate enough to begin correspondance with him prior to our stay. My intention was to make my stay very special as i was to ask my girl to marry me. Justin was truly amazing. He helped me arrange for an in villa dinner, and personally visited to be sure the staff set up properly. This was so wonderful, a custom prepared meal in our lagoon Sala decorated with flowers and candles. Justin was available to meet with us anytime we requested. He arranged for an speed boat tour of the surrounding islands, us and another couple from the property. We just had to sit back and relax and we were taken care of. Justin must have made the entire staff aware of our special trip as the pool staff made special mention of our engagement, the breakfast staff knew, the restaurants were aware as well. When we retured home to California, there was an email from Justin saying goodbye as he was out the day we checked out... amazing service!

I could go on forever, the bottom line is that our experience was perfect. It could not have been better from top to bottom. If you see a negative review here regarding this property, consider the source! Regarding this or that being pricy...yes...it is pricy, what are there people expecting??? Go to the holiday inn if you are worried about price.

Parting: As we left, Ding was waiting for us, he must have left his house early to make it to the hotel before we departed. He presented us with 2 braided bracelets, very special symbols. He said that our happiness is his happiness. This sums up the wonder of our trip and this amazing location.

Room Tip: We were in Villa 62. Over the lagoon sala is worth the extra expense. This room was in a perfect loc...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

My fiance and I stayed at Anantara Phuket to celebrate our recent engagement - what a great decision. The villa, service, food and the resort in general totally exceeded my expectations.

While I'm sure many readers have stayed at 5 star hotels, particular things that stood out to me:

* the villa and grounds - absolutely fantastic. It's very private and very spacious. You can swim and sit in the pool; lay on the deck chair; sit at the outdoor table or lay in the day bed area (and this is just your outside options!). My point is, you will not feel couped up in your villa - in fact, you won't want to leave it

* every staff member greets you. I mean absolutely every staff member. In particular, Justin, the hotel manager makes a concerted effort to greet and speak to all his guests. I have never been to a hotel where I have seen such customer service.

* the breakfast is not just a typical buffet - you can order particular items to me made e.g eggs benedict (yum!) and also have the buffet.

* location: I have seen from other reviewers this is a point of contention. For me, I loved the location. The beach that backed on to the resort is beautiful, clean and wasn't particularly busy (trust me, Thai beaches can get busy!) and the fact it is only 15 minutes from the airport on pretty decent roads (for Asia!) is a major plus. I have also stayed in the Patong area on previous trips and while I did not visit there on this trip, I was very happy with the location of Anantara Phuket. My suggestion to other travellers is to maybe research the location of all the hotels a bit more thoroughly - Phuket is not a small place and I don't think Anantara should be criticised for being 'far away' from the action. If you want action (jet skis on the beach, bars and clubs), maybe stay in another part of Phuket.

Lastly, I was very impressed with how well families fit in this resort with other couples. The hotel seemed very accommodating to the families I saw and I heard some children at breakfast telling their mother how great the kids club was. I do not have children (yet!) but it was nice to be at resort that had the capability to cater for not just one type of traveller. I would definitely recommend this hotel to couples, friends and families.

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2011

I would be very honest acording to my experience in Anantara Villas Phuket.
I booked the hotel for 7 nights with my partner. The hotel rooms are good but poorly maintained. The staff were smilling all the time which is good but our plan that we will experience the hotel only in breakfast and sleeping only which happened the first 3 nights fourth night we were approached by a hotel staff that works in Anantara Vacation Club that asked us to spend 1 hour in a meeting and they will give us a gift at that stage I kind of liked the hotel so I thought of joining the meeting to invest so in future i can use the hotel facilities in different location such as Maldives etc. So we did go to the meeting and we met a guy called peter which was very nice at the start but at the end and after we disagreed to invest the guy start talking about reliogions and cultures which is very insulting. So i had to complain to the manager which was really nice guy and he convencied me to try out under this circumstances that i pay 1564 USD as a garantee and i will have 1 week time to think about and i will have the option to cancel with no fees. They gave us a gift which is 6000 THB voucher to use in the hotel resturant. So we did have dinner in SEA FIRE SAULT resturant very expensive the bill was over 7500 THB. The next day we had a Phi Phi island trip which my partner felt really sick to go was a good decision because after 3 hours she started vomitting and diarrhea not stop so after she reached the 6th vommit i knew it was food poisoning which i called reception for a doctor the first thing they said we will charge you. Seriously is that the first thing to say anyways i didnt care so i said just send the nerse which what they only had. The nurse arrived after 40 mins and after 2 calls to ask where was the nurse. After the nurse arrives Guess What " THE NURSE DOESNT SPEAK ENGLISH" So i had to communicate with her using signs with my hands i tried telling her that we need an injection because whatever you will give her she will vommit it out. So she gave us a tablet seriously again. So I have to call reception and ask for a doctor or a drive to go to the hospital. The hotel has no car incase an emergency so the receptionest says we will need 10-15 mins to arrange a taxi to drive you to the hospital which the closest is 45 mins drive. At this range my partner had vomitted 9 times and cant even walk. I had stomach cramps and sever headach which is a sign of a light food poisoning. Anyways i asked for the doctor to come so they said again we will charge you the first thing. I said i dont care send the doctor and make sure he has an injection and that he speaks english. This was sort out after the doctor comes which was really stressing situation. The thing is the day before we ate only breakfast and diiner which includes seafood and both was in the hotel. The day before we had dinner other than steak in a five star resturant. So i decided to cancel my investment in the vacation club. Arriving to my country which is more than 30 days now my bank sms me that the money 1,564 USD is deducted from my acount.
To be honest with you all, I will never ever come near this non-5 star hotel " non-5 star hotel the only reason i say it is because ive got treated much better in 3 star hotels before.

And this is my experience with ANANTARA

• 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Mohamed A
DoubleJ1977, Manager at Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas, responded to this review, November 6, 2011
Dear Mr. Mohamed,

Thank you for your recent feedback about our fine property and for taking the time to express your personal feelings on this open forum.

We treat the safety and security of our guests and team members with the utmost seriousness and importance, as such the hotel both adopts and excels in the highest international standard of health and hygiene systems and practices.

We have reviewed in the past weeks all food sampling tests that are routinely sent, all food receiving temperature records and all refrigeration control temperature checks and all are inline with our exacting standards. This is supported by zero reports of similar cases in October from Sea Fire Salt or any other food service area across the hotel.

I am confident based on this information that meals consumed outside the hotel, as you have stated, are likely the cause.

In regard to Vacation Club charges, as these operations are not directly under our control, please do contact us directly or the Vacation Club team directly for an immediate solution. Apologies for any delays experienced however from investigations no requests have been made for such assistance to date.

In closing thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the chance to discuss further your challenges.

Best regards,

Justin
Anantara Management Team
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

We stayed three nights here after having stayed at the Renaissance Resort next door. It is a different kind of resort, luxurious thai style, all villas. Villas are really well designed, spacious, open, all with a big private and gentle pool in a garden. Service was discreet and efficient. Common areas are elegant and very much private, access to pool and beach is convenient. It is not cheap but it is worth a visit, if you are in honeymoon this resort would be perfect. Their spa is first rate in all senses, do not miss it. At night the place is spectacular, they lit fires all over the place, quite romantic.

2 Thank TheLing
Dubai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

My husband and I spent 5 days at the Anantara to celebrate our honeymoon/anniversary and we had the most amazing time. It is very rare that we stay at hotels with such high levels of service and comfort which we experienced during our stay which was way too short!

When we first arrived at the hotel we were immediately impressed with the whole ambiance of the hotel as all the torches were lit and we were greeted in a genuinely friendly manner. The check in process was easy and the receptionist took us to our fantastic room. We stayed in a Lagoon Villa and it immediately blew us away. The villa was extremely private and everything was just wonderful. The room itself had a comfy bed with a mosquito net, day bed, flat screen tv, changing room, huge bathroom with two sinks, indoor and outdoor rain shower, free WIFI, nice coffee maker and superb amenities.

It was so nice to stay at a hotel where they really pay attention to details such as a wonderful pillow spray, mosquito repellent for those who forgot, fresh welcome drink, fruit plate, an abundance of mineral water and not to mention the fantastic bath salt which was replenished every day. The private pool was of a decent size (not a glorified bathtub) and we spent many hours just frolicking around. There is also an outdoor Sala where you can get away from the baking sun where the mini bar is also located. I cannot find anything bad to say about the room and combine this with the fantastic pool outside, the Anantara truly was the best 5-star hotel we have ever stayed at.

The grounds of the hotel are very beautiful with very lush gardens that are kept immaculate by the hotel staff every day. Some of the rooms can be located a bit away from the restaurants and beach, however there are bikes available which you can use or you can call a golf buggy. Some of the bikes are indeed quite rusty; however this cannot be avoided due to the humidity and rain. The bikes did their work though and transported us wherever we needed to go if we were too lazy to walk.

The pool area was very nice with a standard pool bar which made good drinks. There are plenty of sun loungers however only a few in “the water” so these are the first to be occupied. At no point did we feel that the pool area was crowded, which was nice for a change. Guess this is also due to the fact that everyone has private pools in their rooms! The hotel had sun lotion and after sun spray available should you have forgotten yours, which was a nice touch.

Just a few hundred meters away from the pool is the beach that stretches more than 13 kilometers. The red flag was up due to strong winds/currents during our whole stay so unfortunately we did not swim in the ocean. We did walk down the unspoiled beach for a few kilometers without seeing any tourists which was very nice as we are not into crowded beaches. The only thing that bothered us was the amount of garbage which unfortunately was scattered everywhere. Such a shame.

The hotel has 2 restaurants as well as the Tree House bar where you can also order snacks (do make sure you go for sun downers at the Tree House!!). We ate at both restaurants and the food was of a decent standard with good wine lists. The breakfast buffet was of a typical 5-star standard with a decent spread, and nice daily specials made fresh by the chefs. Do make sure you try the corn fritters and breakfast burrito, which we loved! Most dishes are served every day which can get a bit boring, however a few are changed daily.

As the hotel only has 2 restaurants perhaps it would get somewhat monotonous if you stay more than 5 days, however as previously mentioned here on Tripadvisor, there are cheaper options available next door at the Turtle Village should you want a change of scenery.

The service at the hotel was absolutely fantastic. ALL the staff, whether in the reception, the restaurants, the pool area, cleaners, spa etc. were just wonderful. We did not experience any staff member who did not provide a kind service with a smile. This is something that we must applaud the Anantara. We truly felt taken care off and it was so nice to experience such a high standard of service.

As many have explained here on Tripadvisor, the Anantara is on the North-West part of Phuket pretty far away from everything. Patong is about an hour and half drive away while the airport is only about 15 minutes away. The hotel can arrange for a pick up which costs about 1300 baht, however we took a taxi which was only 500 baht. If you do not mind the drive, try to visit the White Box Restaurant close to Patong, which is a fine dining restaurant and is probably the best restaurant on the whole island. They will provide a free pick up however you have to pay for the taxi back which is around 1000 bath.

There were only two things that let us down during our stay. First off is the fact that the staff constantly ask you about the Vacation Club. The first day we were asked 5 times if we would like to attend the introduction meeting, which is a bit excessive. The second day “only” 3 times. We were however asked nicely and the staff were fine with us saying that we had no interest. Second thing was our experience at the spa when we went for a manicure/pedicure, which was not cheap. For that price we would expect the staff (who were nice btw) to have two sets of clippers/buffers/files etc. so they would not have to share their equipment and to pass it back and forth. Furthermore, the nail files and buffers were very used and almost did not have any effect. Finally, for the high price one would expect a foot/heel scrub to be included in the treatment…

If this is the first time you go to Phuket and you want to experience the night life, the Anantara is probably not in the best location. However if you want serenity and relaxation, you should definitely stay here. The service is impeccable and we had an absolutely amazing stay. We would not hesitate to come back.

Room Tip: All villas are private, however try to get a villa facing away from the walk way.
10 Thank KennyBen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

I stayed here with my wife on our honeymoon and I must say I was amazed at how great this place was.

Pros: Amazing villas that are very modern,very spacious, and you always come back to your room smelling like roses.

Service is wonderful

The food overall is top quality, whether you order in the room, go to breakfast, or eat at the restaurant it is all top quality.

The gym has a good mix of equipment if you like to workout, nothing over the top but you can definitely maintain.

Cons: The only downside is the location is at least 45min taxi to get to any nice restaurants in Phuket Town, but that can be a positive if you don't want to be near there.

Overall: I'm into the details while vacationing and keep high standards. Anantara met my standards and more. I highly recommend coming here if you want a relaxing and romantic vacation. After staying in Anantara, Bali which was a total let down I came to appreciate this place even more. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Vicman1324
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in this hotel resort. We stayed 8 nights since we just wanted to get away from it all. It was perfect. The little villas are excellent and decorated very nicely. There is a small outside pool and a nice and cozy sitting area (sala) in every villa. The breakfast is sensational so is the food in the 3 available restaurants. There is small shopping area just around the corner (turtle village).

I actually live in a 5-star hotel 365 days a year, but this resort was a completely new level. The staff is so friendly and there is a lot of attention to detail (e.g. The waiters at the pool bar come around to to up your water, hand out little snacks/fruit etc.). Definitely highly recommended.

Room Tip: The mangrove villas are the best value for money.
1 Thank gest26
Trisara Phuket
Trisara Phuket
#2 of 94 in Thalang District
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa

Been to Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas? Share your experiences!