“Enjoyed”

Marriott's Mai Khao Beach - Phuket
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Mai Khao
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We stayed at this resort in june 2010, got a good price through my sisters time share.
Villas are two bedroom with king in master and two doubles in second then a pull out sofa if you need.Lovely decor.A huge bath in main bedroom.The amenities are replaced everyday and they have mini cleans then once in your stay they will do a big clean and change sheets etc Beds are so comfy.
All the staff we met were lovely.The Jw next door you can use all facilities except pools in higher seasons.Our pool was lovely and a kids pool too.
The Turtle village between the two resorts has a coffee club good for meals also a Bill bentlys english pub good for meals too.The have a few other variety shops souvineer etc a supermarket that is handy for picking bits up.
These are self contained villas so you can cook with a stove top and microwave,we shopped beforehand in Carrefords in Junceylon in Patong or there is a Tesco.
The only down side is the restraunts are a little expensive in the JW and the beach wasn't swimable this time of year not sure about any other time.Its still nice for a walk along though.(If need you can get them to take you to beach on buggy)
Kin Dee lovely local Thai restaraunt is good value and good food, lovely host.All the local taxis know and charge 500 baht return to get there.Its not far!

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 16, 2010

My wife and I have received some very good advice from trip advisor so we will try to pay it forward with very objective advice. We are from the United States and stayed at the Marriott Mai Khao Beach for our honeymoon. We are both in our mid-twenties and on a tighter budget than most of the timeshare owners (we received ours from her father as a wedding gift).

I think other reviews adequately describe the rooms so I'll go straight to the tips and advice:

1. Kin Dee is authentic Thai food but overpriced and really not that good. It happens to be the closest restaurant (remember this resort is extremely isolated and you can't get anywhere without a 30 minute ride) and has menus in English which is probably most of its appeal. Bring bug spray as they don't have mosquito nets and it sits in the wooded area.

2. There is a cheap "real" Thai restaurant literally at the end of the Phuket Beach Club. Head south on the bike/jogging trails towards the Renaissance Marriott location. Literally as soon as the Phuket Beach Club ends to your left will be a soccer field and to your right will be small stands where the workers get their food. They have a menu in English and you can either pay 320 baht for a plate of Americanized food at the least in Marriott's restaurants, or you can pay 60 baht and get real Thai food where real Thai people eat.

3. The massages are worth the 400 baht on the beach. We would get one, then head to the Out of the Blue bar for the 2 for 1 happy hour specials (250 baht ++ for 2 drinks).

4. Rent a car or find a personal taxi driver. The Marriott will overcharge you. We could get a driver to take us around the entire island from 8am to 8pm for 2,000 baht stopping wherever we wanted. It's a good 1.5 hours from one tip to the other.

5. If you have a choice the Marriott Phuket Beach Club may be older, but the rooms are just as nice and you have access to better workout, tennis, and other facilities. (We stayed in the Phuket Beach Club for our second week).

6. I'd recommend getting a book about Thailand, learning a few phrases, and going into the town. Sample food from the local market stands. You can get an entire meal for 30 or 40 baht (although alcohol costs more than the meal so bring your own or stick to beer).

7. Go to the coffee club in Turtle Village for the best value on food. It's about 85 baht for Thai food and if you take it to go you avoid the service and VAT charges. Very good coffee there too.

8. Delights at Mai Khao adjacent to Zest has half off pastries after 6pm. I'd definitely recommend doing this.

9. Head to Robbinsons, Tesco Lotus or another large shopping market in Patong Beach or Phuket Town on your 1st or 2nd day to stock up on food and any alcohol you might want. The turtle village market costs 3x as much.

10. We used a driver named Amnoy who was amazing. He picked us up from the airport for 400 baht (most charge you 500) and continued to drive us around for great prices. If you reply in a comment/thread I'd be happy to give you his number.

11. Book your tours while in town and you will save at least 30% over the hotel prices for excursions.

12. Housekeeping will do your dishes if you leave them in the sink.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
17  Thank WorldTravelers31038
Reviewed June 11, 2010

This resort was more than I could have asked for since I was looking for a place to relax with friends. The resort is located near the airport, but not much else as previously stated by other reviewers. The rooms themselves are large and very clean. The beds are the most comfortable beds and bedding I have slept in throughout Asia. I wish I could have taken that bed home with me! The kitchen is small, about the size of a kitchenette, but well stocked though it doesn't have a dishwasher. The washer and dryer in the unit worked well and it is a luxury to be able to use a dryer in Thailand! There is also a nice size balcony with seating for four. There were six of us in our party so we had them add an extra rollaway bed in the master bedroom at no charge. We also used the sofa bed which was comfortable, even though it was a sofa bed which is hard to find!
Service was excellent. Everyone was very helpful and accommodating. Housekeeping also did an awesome job with the rooms.
The pool was nice, although the islands in the pool are a bit oddly placed, but they have jacuzzi jets coming out of them. The gym also has a nice assortment of cardiovascular, weight training equipment. There is also free weights. There were a number of hotel activities each day, but didn't participate in any of them although some of them looked interesting.
Didn't try any of the restaurants, but bought pastries at the deli which are 50% off from 6pm-9pm daily. Good to buy and eat for breakfast the next day. They range in price (after discount) to 20-50 baht each and they all tasted good! I would recommend going to Phuket to buy groceries (either Big C or Lotus) rather than at the Turtle Mart next door because most items cost twice as much at that store.
The beach near the resort is just a few minutes walk, but the sand is a little rough and since it was in May, the waves were a bit big by Thai standards so wasn't the most relaxing beach.
All-in-all, I would definitely recommend this hotel for people looking for a quiet retreat or relaxing accommodation outside of the hustle and bustle of Phuket.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 23, 2010

I was planning a trip for my family with 2 young kids (age 5 and 2.5 years) to Phuket and hence was not keen for something boisterous and yet have enough space and facilities for kids. I was recommended the Marriott by a friend. As we traveled during the off-peak season (ie monsoon season), we got a great deal with a 1 night free stay.

Confusing names
I was initially confused as to the location of this hotel. As it turns out (from previous reviews as well), this is known as Marriott Mai Khao Beach, Vacation Club. This is physically separate from the man Marriott complex, which houses the JW Marriott and the Marriott Beach Club (Vacation Club) together.

The hotel
We opted for the 2 bed room villa (I think they were all 2 bed room villas here) with the plunge pool. The villa was huge, with a very well equipped kitchen, washing machine and dryer. No dish washer here. There was an indoor dining area, outdoor dining area (plus dealing with the flies...) and 2 deck chairs next to the plunge pool. The master bedroom also opens up to the plunge pool, so it's nice to wake up in the morning and just step out for a morning dip. There is free internet, but only for wired internet and there is no wireless service.

The plunge pool is deep on the far end. And as stated in previous reviews, not truly private as it is adjacent to the walkway.

The swimming pool area is great. There is a small toddler pool (v shallow) and a kids pool with a slide, plus a main pool with small islands (with seats and jacuzzi) scattered. Many beach chairs all around.

Kids club was a hit with the children. There were a lot of activities planned. However I felt that some of the staff in the kids club were either burnt out or not interested. As stated in the previous reviews, they weren't too impressive. A couple weren't friendly and I did not leave my kids unattended over there. (and you have to remember that I went in the off-peak season, so I cannot imagine how it would be if the place was packed with kids).

Other than that, the service standards in the hotel overall was excellent. The front counter staff spoke great english and were friendly. Some of the ancillary staff, for example those manning the bar counter by the pool, did not speak english so well, and hence come across as slightly rude occasionally.

The gym is also excellent and is actually functional 24 hours a day. There will be gym instructors during the working hours but if you so prefer, they can open the gym for you for a night run if you so desire. Pretty cool.

Location
This hotel is not located next to the beach. Actually I think it is behind the Anatara (which is beach facing). It is just adjacent to the Turtle Village (which is a low key shopping complex, that houses several restaurants, a mart and some shopping). In fact, I could just walk out of the back gate of my room and within 20 steps be at the entrance of turtle village, which makes getting a beer from the mart very easy indeed.

There is a small path running between this hotel and turtle village. Following it down to the beach, you would then pass the Anatara to the right and the main JW Marriott complex on the left. The beach is nothing to shout about, with coarse yellow sand and a steep incline at the beach with choppy waves. It is very quiet though.

I borrowed a bicycle for a ride around. Cycling deeper along Mai Khao beach, you would then come to the Sala Phuket and the Renaissance. There were a couple of beach shacks along the way. Beer was much cheaper there at 60thb for a stubbie and a plate of fried calamari at 150thb. My meal there with 2 stubbies cost be 270 thb, which was near the cost of my bicycle rental at 250 thb. Just be ready to fight off the resident flies that will swarm your food when it arrives.

Activities for kids
As we wanted for the kids to have some fun by the beach, we booked a trip with the hotel for a trip to Khai Islands. We took a half day package at 1500 baht per person. This involved a land transfer to the other side of the island - a 1 hour drive! But once we got on the boat, the fun started. We first went to Khai Nui - small island, which was 15 minutes boat ride away. There, we snorkelled off the boat, to see "Nemo" as my kid put it. My son actually snorkelled for the first time by himself in the open ocean.

Then we were brought to Khai Nok, the larger island, which was 2 mins away. There we were put on land. The beach here was great, with shallow beach, powdery white sand, clear water - the typical Phuket beach that you expect, with beachside chairs all around and small food stalls selling overpriced food. The highlight here would be the schools of small fishes - numbering in the hundreds - that would come to feed off your hand. A real hit with the kids. It is safe as well, as it is cordoned off, shallow and protected from currents.

Food within the hotel is frankly quite blah. Go to the turtle village. Or better still, order from Kin Dee. They do free delivery and take about 1 hour to do so. You would have to collect your food from the security gate. Just google kin dee phuket.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank MikeSoon
Reviewed April 4, 2010

we spent our 15th wedding anniv here, accompanied by my bro/sis-in law and 4 young kids. we had a blast of a time here in our private swimming pool. the staff are very helpful including the nanny we got for our infant son. the private beach is excellent and clean. The Thai resturant has amazing food and the staff does not hurry you up at all, even though we kept on sitting till midnight in the resturant.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 22, 2010

I’ve thought long and hard about the title of this review – for days in fact – and on my last day in Phuket, the title suddenly dawned on me and the above was what I thought of.

This is probably going to be one of the lengthiest (if not THE lengthiest) review of MMK. For the impatient traveler who is just looking for a quick fix to his problem – I apologise. But to the more discerning who is after the ‘bolts and nuts’ – I unabashedly say, THIS IS IT!

Marriott Mai Khao Beach (MMK) was promoted to me via Marriott Vacation Club (MCVI). I took them up on their offer of USD$250 for a 4-day, 3-night stay in a villa in the middle of March 2010. To put the icing on the cake, so to speak, I upgraded myself to a plunge-pool villa for an additional USD$80 for the same duration of my stay.

VILLA
The villa itself is significant! I use ‘significant’ rather than huge because it isn’t really huge, but significant. The size of the pool and the space around it are luxurious. The master toilet is similar in size to other villas but the bathtub is huge. The beds are really huge, comfortable and inviting. There are two super singles in the guest room and a gigantic king bed in the master. The master room itself isn’t very huge but it gives ample space for walking. It also houses a lazy chair. The furniture is modern but quite dated. You can tell that not the most meticulous details have been put in during the planning stage. The sofa in the living room was smelly. It smelled of dampness, probably due to the previous guest sitting on it after coming out of the pool. The kitchen is well equipped. They have more things than you’ll ever need. They provide you with coffee/tea and condiments, and two large bottles of potable water daily. The villa has three lcd tvs which only my children used. Lighting is good and the air-conditioning can be freezing if you put it on medium or high. The best things in the villa that my wife enjoyed were the washing machine and dryer which were neatly kept in a kind of utility room. There is a large circular dining table which seats six people. You can use this for your meals or even play cards! The villa is safe. There is a security post at the main entrance and guards patrolling ever so often. It is also quiet and cosy – the kind of place you would just want to laze around the whole day, basking in the comfort it offers. Check-in is supposed to be at 4pm and check out at 10am!! I think this is simply ridiculous. Are they saying their cleaners need six hours to clean the villas? But of course, they allowed us to have a late check out on the day of our departure.

POOL
The main pool is huge and well-maintained. The kids pool and wading pool are a tad bit too small but the kids pool with the slide is an attraction. The plunge pool is the best of all. The water is clean and the chlorine level is just right. There are some drawbacks though. About two-thirds of the plunge pool is too deep – 1.8m deep! The other drawback is – contrary to what travelers might think – the plunge pool is not ‘private’. It is just behind the villa and in full view of the main pool and people plying the footpath. I had the impression that the plunge pool would give me privacy, like what other villas offer. This is a bummer – no skinny-dipping in this plunge pool! However, for an additional USD$80 for the entire stay, it is worth it. My kids truly enjoyed it everyday. The area is generally kept clean and tidy. I would rate the cleanliness at 4 out of 5.

POLITENESS OF STAFF
I like Phuket. Being touristy, the people of Phuket always never fail to enchant me. This explains why I’ve been to Phuket at least 5 or 6 times. However, I felt the staff at MMK wasn’t as warm and friendly as the staff from the other hotels I’ve stayed in before. In other hotels, the staff would stop their work, make eye contact with their guests and greet them warmly with a ‘sawasdeekap’ or a smile. This was found lacking in the staff at MMK. There were occasions of course, when we were greeted. However, we just felt it was not up to the standard Phuket has set for itself. In fact, we received better and warmer hospitality from the airport & immigrations staff. There was a slip-up by the immigrations officer who handled my wife’s passport upon our arrival. He accidentally stapled the departure card instead of the arrival card to her passport. When we were departing, the airport staff noticed this and immediately understood it was human error on the part of the immigrations officer. She told us nicely that my wife would be assisted to clear the situation. We were led by a pleasant lady to the immigrations department where she explained our situation. The problem was rectified immediately without inconvenience. The airport staff was all smiles all the while. She even helped to fill in the details left blank on my child’s card. This is the kind of Thai charm you can expect to get in Phuket. Too bad, the staff at MMK didn’t exude this charm. They smiled occasionally – that’s all.

KNOWLEDGE & ATTENTION TO DETAILS
I know language is generally a barrier as most Thais don’t speak good English. However, you would expect hotel staff to know their job and advise guests accordingly. I approached the concierge twice during my stay there. On both occasions, no one was manning the concierge. There was a person manning the booth next to the concierge but she didn’t know what to do and couldn’t help me with my requests. Even the front desk couldn’t help. The only help they could offer was to say, “Wait for the concierge.” On my second day, I inquired about the purchase of the ‘wi-fi’ card so that I could surf the internet. Alas, the concierge was not manning his/her booth. So I approached the front desk and enquired from a gentleman there. His first answer was that he didn’t work there! I found that to be a strange reply since he was behind front desk and was wearing the staff uniform. He later explained that he was a temp staff and tried to tell me that he didn’t know about such details. I didn’t push him for an answer but I felt that temp or no temp, once you’re manning front desk, you are deemed to be competent. Telling the guest ‘you do not work there’ is definitely not one of the permitted lines. FYI, if you want to surf the internet, you’d have to purchase a wi-fi card from JW Marriott! MMK doesn’t sell it, nor do the staff know much about it. I had to call JW Marriott myself and find out where to buy it from. The staff at JW were friendlier, more helpful and generally more knowledgeable.
Another thing is the staff at MMK couldn’t advise much on sightseeing and day tours. The brochures were minimal. I received more help from the concierge at JW Marriott. In fact, when I went to Patong, there were more brochures offered to tourists and guests at a small hotel like the Palm Beach Resort – see my attached photo.
In my humble opinion, MMK is not a hotel that pays attention to details. I find this most perturbing since it carries the ‘Marriott’ brand name. Toothbrushes and toothpaste aren’t even provided as standard items!! We had to ask housekeeping. The toiletries provided are minimal – simple shower gel, shampoo and conditioner. And a cake of soap. No razor, shaving cream, hair cream, lotion, comb, mini shoe polish, sewing kit, etc. There is a large bathtub which is very inviting but no bubble bath at all. The plunge pool is convenient and value-for-money but there is no pool towel. Have I mentioned - the pool is not private. Since I accepted Marriott’s offer for this villa-stay, I had to attend their 90-minute sales pitch. I must say that if you are a frequent vacationer, their offer is good, but one thing that Marriott/MCVI failed to realise (perhaps in the midst of their busyness) is that their hotel may not be as top-notch as they make it out to be. For sure, my family and I had a wonderful stay in MMK and in Phuket, but if I were to pay USD$400-USD$500 per night for a villa, I would be expecting much more class and luxury that what is offered. In fact, I would think their current promotional offer of USD$250 for 4 days, 3 nights is pegged at the right price. Another qualm I had was on my first day, I ordered two coffee mocktails from Café Delights. I was very sure to tell them ‘two’. I even used my fingers to indicate ‘two’. When it finally arrived, I shared the first drink with my wife and was wondering when the second glass would arrive. After about five minutes of waiting and seeing no further action on their part, we just smiled to ourselves and concluded that serving two of the same drink to the same guest was ‘just not their style’. We weren’t particularly mad about it. We simply accepted it.

FACILITIES & PROVISION
The hotel is equipped with standard facilities like pool, gym, kids’ centre, F&B, housekeeping, room service, etc. What it doesn’t have are facilities like tennis/squash courts, business centre, etc. It is more of a family place. There is a sofa in the living room which I feel should be upgraded to a sofa bed so that additional guests can use to sleep. A great thing to have of course is in-house wi-fi, PPV movies and rentable or loanable movies. FYI, wi-fi can only be received when you are just outside the Zest Restaurant. The best location I found was to stand at the first deck chair in between Zest and Aqua bar. Local call charges are very expensive. For a total duration of less than 20 minutes, I paid more than SGD$30 for local calls only through their hotel phone. Most hotels around the world offer such calls for free or for a minimal charge.

TRANSPORTATION
I contacted Mr Samat as advised by a fellow reviewer for transportation. He is a big con, in my opinion. For a whole day of hire of his vehicle and service, he claimed that the charge would be THB5000 but he was willing to give me a discount at THB3500. I got the same service from a guy manning the taxi service at MMK for THB2500. His name is Mr Nart. His contact is [--](overseas) or[--] (local). Transfers to and from the airport were provided by MMK without inconvenience at all. Generally, traffic and transportation are good in Phuket.

PROXIMITY
MMK is about 15 – 20 minutes away from the airport. It is great for a weary traveler. However, MMK is also next to nowhere else. A trip to Patong would be an hour on average. A trip to Phuket Town would be about 45 minutes. MMK is a great place to stay if you want peace and quiet. If you’re into night life, shopping, frequent massages, etc., you will discover that travelling is a waste of time and money. Transfers to these places are not cheap at all.

FOOD
Our package came with two complimentary adult buffet breakfasts for all the days we stayed there. Breakfast is something like S$20+ per person and S$10+ per child (5 – 12?). Kids below 5 eat free. Breakfast is served at their main restaurant called Zest. It serves an international spread with a bit of Asian dishes. Breakfast is good. Food quality is good and reasonably well-spread, considering the size of the property. One thing though – have your breakfast early or you’ll have to contend with either waiting to be seated or sitting outside the restaurant and facing the morning sun. you need to pay for breakfast for additional guests, ask concierge (or the person manning the booth next to the concierge) for free 20% discount tickets. This is given to hotel guests. I don’t know the rationale though. This is a tip - There is also a café beside the restaurant called Café Delights. It serves light pastry and bread and also some heavier sides like salads and wraps and others. After 6.30pm, only the pastry items (displayed in the clear plastic display case in the middle) are half-priced. All other items are at regular prices without discount. Food here is palatable, but a little pricey. We also took the advice of a fellow reviewer and visited Kin Dee – a traditional Thai restaurant with traditional Thai food. The restaurant is basically a makeshift platform built over a cliff overlooking sparse vegetation. At night, you will be dining with beetles and ants, but they aren’t that bad. The beetles can be a little daunting at first – they’re about 2” in length. The prices at Kin Dee are reasonable. The food is generally good – you must try the Tom Yam Goong. However, I felt that not all the ingredients used were fresh. For some dishes, the prawns used were soft and squishy. Great news for all – Kin Dee caters to takeouts and delivers! Free of charge!! Their no is[--] or [--]. Just tell them your room no and your food will arrive at the appointed time. Food and drinks at tourist spots are pricey. If you are on a budget, bring lots of mineral water and bread along. If not, be prepared to splurge about SGD$50 – SGD$70 per person for meals and drinks for the whole day.

To end off, I always love the rustic charm of Phuket and would definitely go back in future. For all my trips, I stayed at different hotels. This is a good way of sampling different service and comfort levels. Don’t get me wrong - I do appreciate my stay at MMK but if I have to pay villa prices, I would definitely not return to it again. The difference in treatment at JW Marriott and at MMK is definitely stark. The competence level of the staff at these two sister hotels is also obvious. To sum it up, my title applies. MMK – close, but no cigars.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
8  Thank KevinSingapore
Reviewed March 16, 2010

We had an excellent stay at the Marriott Mai Khao Beach. We stayed as part of the Owner Referral Program, so most of our stay was also free! We had to sit through a 90-minute presentation on the Marriott Vacation Club Asia-Pacific, but it was remarkably low-pressure. The facilities are excellent and perfect for our family with a 1 year old and 4 year old. The villa was fantastic and well appointed with everything we needed. Comfortable beds. Needed relatively little babyproofing for our curious 1 year old. Crib and high chair were provided. Kids LOVED the pool and so did we - the islands are perfect for lounging while our older daughter swam. The Zorb ball was a big hit with her as well, every day at noon for 300B. The super shallow section was perfect for the baby and the kids pool with slide was fun as well. We never made it over to the JW to try out their pool.
Restuarants at the MMK were just average and expensive but we made ample use of the Turtle Mart store next door and the Coffee Club and the Bill Bentley's Pub for cheaper food. We did eat at Ginja at the JW and it was excellent albeit pricey.
Based on other reviews we took the cooking class at Kin Dee Restaurant with Ton, which was outstanding and exactly what we were looking for - a very authentic, local, Thai food experience and delicious food! You can email her at [--] to find out more and have your own great experience and take a little bit of Thailand home with you. She used to teach at the JW and still supplies them and many other hotels with their curry paste.
We also ventured south to eat at Lotus Restaurant in Laguna/Bang Tao beach area, and while the setting was nice the food was just average. I think we missed out by not ordering lobster, seemed like everyone else was getting lobster so maybe that's a better dish.
My kids also enjoyed the kids club and we found the staff to be friendly, helpful and accomodating.
The beach is beautiful - I just wish it was easier to get a buggy back to the resort as walking with tired, wet kids is not always optimal. I also wish they had a way to lend out beach chairs for use on the beach.
Massages on the beach near the JW for 400 baht for an hour were excellent. 200 baht for half hour.
There was free internet in the room if you brought your own laptop. There were computers with internet you could use in the Kids Club, but that was not free. Guess I should have checked that or I might have brought my laptop.
Except for Kin Dee there really does not seem to be much else in the area, as other reviewers have suggested, but we were there to enjoy the resort.
Overall our stay was basically perfect - perfect weather, perfect pool, perfect room - and I wish I could go back!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Phuket Mai Khao Beach Resort
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Marriott's Phuket Beach Club
Phuket Marriott Resort and Spa, Nai Yang Beach

Been to Marriott's Mai Khao Beach - Phuket? Share your experiences!