“We spent the 15th wedding anniv here...it was good”

Marriott's Mai Khao Beach - Phuket
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Mai Khao
Gurgaon, Haryana
“We spent the 15th wedding anniv here...it was good”
Reviewed April 4, 2010

we spent our 15th wedding anniv here, accompanied by my bro/sis-in law and 4 young kids. we had a blast of a time here in our private swimming pool. the staff are very helpful including the nanny we got for our infant son. the private beach is excellent and clean. The Thai resturant has amazing food and the staff does not hurry you up at all, even though we kept on sitting till midnight in the resturant.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed March 22, 2010

I’ve thought long and hard about the title of this review – for days in fact – and on my last day in Phuket, the title suddenly dawned on me and the above was what I thought of.

This is probably going to be one of the lengthiest (if not THE lengthiest) review of MMK. For the impatient traveler who is just looking for a quick fix to his problem – I apologise. But to the more discerning who is after the ‘bolts and nuts’ – I unabashedly say, THIS IS IT!

Marriott Mai Khao Beach (MMK) was promoted to me via Marriott Vacation Club (MCVI). I took them up on their offer of USD$250 for a 4-day, 3-night stay in a villa in the middle of March 2010. To put the icing on the cake, so to speak, I upgraded myself to a plunge-pool villa for an additional USD$80 for the same duration of my stay.

VILLA
The villa itself is significant! I use ‘significant’ rather than huge because it isn’t really huge, but significant. The size of the pool and the space around it are luxurious. The master toilet is similar in size to other villas but the bathtub is huge. The beds are really huge, comfortable and inviting. There are two super singles in the guest room and a gigantic king bed in the master. The master room itself isn’t very huge but it gives ample space for walking. It also houses a lazy chair. The furniture is modern but quite dated. You can tell that not the most meticulous details have been put in during the planning stage. The sofa in the living room was smelly. It smelled of dampness, probably due to the previous guest sitting on it after coming out of the pool. The kitchen is well equipped. They have more things than you’ll ever need. They provide you with coffee/tea and condiments, and two large bottles of potable water daily. The villa has three lcd tvs which only my children used. Lighting is good and the air-conditioning can be freezing if you put it on medium or high. The best things in the villa that my wife enjoyed were the washing machine and dryer which were neatly kept in a kind of utility room. There is a large circular dining table which seats six people. You can use this for your meals or even play cards! The villa is safe. There is a security post at the main entrance and guards patrolling ever so often. It is also quiet and cosy – the kind of place you would just want to laze around the whole day, basking in the comfort it offers. Check-in is supposed to be at 4pm and check out at 10am!! I think this is simply ridiculous. Are they saying their cleaners need six hours to clean the villas? But of course, they allowed us to have a late check out on the day of our departure.

POOL
The main pool is huge and well-maintained. The kids pool and wading pool are a tad bit too small but the kids pool with the slide is an attraction. The plunge pool is the best of all. The water is clean and the chlorine level is just right. There are some drawbacks though. About two-thirds of the plunge pool is too deep – 1.8m deep! The other drawback is – contrary to what travelers might think – the plunge pool is not ‘private’. It is just behind the villa and in full view of the main pool and people plying the footpath. I had the impression that the plunge pool would give me privacy, like what other villas offer. This is a bummer – no skinny-dipping in this plunge pool! However, for an additional USD$80 for the entire stay, it is worth it. My kids truly enjoyed it everyday. The area is generally kept clean and tidy. I would rate the cleanliness at 4 out of 5.

POLITENESS OF STAFF
I like Phuket. Being touristy, the people of Phuket always never fail to enchant me. This explains why I’ve been to Phuket at least 5 or 6 times. However, I felt the staff at MMK wasn’t as warm and friendly as the staff from the other hotels I’ve stayed in before. In other hotels, the staff would stop their work, make eye contact with their guests and greet them warmly with a ‘sawasdeekap’ or a smile. This was found lacking in the staff at MMK. There were occasions of course, when we were greeted. However, we just felt it was not up to the standard Phuket has set for itself. In fact, we received better and warmer hospitality from the airport & immigrations staff. There was a slip-up by the immigrations officer who handled my wife’s passport upon our arrival. He accidentally stapled the departure card instead of the arrival card to her passport. When we were departing, the airport staff noticed this and immediately understood it was human error on the part of the immigrations officer. She told us nicely that my wife would be assisted to clear the situation. We were led by a pleasant lady to the immigrations department where she explained our situation. The problem was rectified immediately without inconvenience. The airport staff was all smiles all the while. She even helped to fill in the details left blank on my child’s card. This is the kind of Thai charm you can expect to get in Phuket. Too bad, the staff at MMK didn’t exude this charm. They smiled occasionally – that’s all.

KNOWLEDGE & ATTENTION TO DETAILS
I know language is generally a barrier as most Thais don’t speak good English. However, you would expect hotel staff to know their job and advise guests accordingly. I approached the concierge twice during my stay there. On both occasions, no one was manning the concierge. There was a person manning the booth next to the concierge but she didn’t know what to do and couldn’t help me with my requests. Even the front desk couldn’t help. The only help they could offer was to say, “Wait for the concierge.” On my second day, I inquired about the purchase of the ‘wi-fi’ card so that I could surf the internet. Alas, the concierge was not manning his/her booth. So I approached the front desk and enquired from a gentleman there. His first answer was that he didn’t work there! I found that to be a strange reply since he was behind front desk and was wearing the staff uniform. He later explained that he was a temp staff and tried to tell me that he didn’t know about such details. I didn’t push him for an answer but I felt that temp or no temp, once you’re manning front desk, you are deemed to be competent. Telling the guest ‘you do not work there’ is definitely not one of the permitted lines. FYI, if you want to surf the internet, you’d have to purchase a wi-fi card from JW Marriott! MMK doesn’t sell it, nor do the staff know much about it. I had to call JW Marriott myself and find out where to buy it from. The staff at JW were friendlier, more helpful and generally more knowledgeable.
Another thing is the staff at MMK couldn’t advise much on sightseeing and day tours. The brochures were minimal. I received more help from the concierge at JW Marriott. In fact, when I went to Patong, there were more brochures offered to tourists and guests at a small hotel like the Palm Beach Resort – see my attached photo.
In my humble opinion, MMK is not a hotel that pays attention to details. I find this most perturbing since it carries the ‘Marriott’ brand name. Toothbrushes and toothpaste aren’t even provided as standard items!! We had to ask housekeeping. The toiletries provided are minimal – simple shower gel, shampoo and conditioner. And a cake of soap. No razor, shaving cream, hair cream, lotion, comb, mini shoe polish, sewing kit, etc. There is a large bathtub which is very inviting but no bubble bath at all. The plunge pool is convenient and value-for-money but there is no pool towel. Have I mentioned - the pool is not private. Since I accepted Marriott’s offer for this villa-stay, I had to attend their 90-minute sales pitch. I must say that if you are a frequent vacationer, their offer is good, but one thing that Marriott/MCVI failed to realise (perhaps in the midst of their busyness) is that their hotel may not be as top-notch as they make it out to be. For sure, my family and I had a wonderful stay in MMK and in Phuket, but if I were to pay USD$400-USD$500 per night for a villa, I would be expecting much more class and luxury that what is offered. In fact, I would think their current promotional offer of USD$250 for 4 days, 3 nights is pegged at the right price. Another qualm I had was on my first day, I ordered two coffee mocktails from Café Delights. I was very sure to tell them ‘two’. I even used my fingers to indicate ‘two’. When it finally arrived, I shared the first drink with my wife and was wondering when the second glass would arrive. After about five minutes of waiting and seeing no further action on their part, we just smiled to ourselves and concluded that serving two of the same drink to the same guest was ‘just not their style’. We weren’t particularly mad about it. We simply accepted it.

FACILITIES & PROVISION
The hotel is equipped with standard facilities like pool, gym, kids’ centre, F&B, housekeeping, room service, etc. What it doesn’t have are facilities like tennis/squash courts, business centre, etc. It is more of a family place. There is a sofa in the living room which I feel should be upgraded to a sofa bed so that additional guests can use to sleep. A great thing to have of course is in-house wi-fi, PPV movies and rentable or loanable movies. FYI, wi-fi can only be received when you are just outside the Zest Restaurant. The best location I found was to stand at the first deck chair in between Zest and Aqua bar. Local call charges are very expensive. For a total duration of less than 20 minutes, I paid more than SGD$30 for local calls only through their hotel phone. Most hotels around the world offer such calls for free or for a minimal charge.

TRANSPORTATION
I contacted Mr Samat as advised by a fellow reviewer for transportation. He is a big con, in my opinion. For a whole day of hire of his vehicle and service, he claimed that the charge would be THB5000 but he was willing to give me a discount at THB3500. I got the same service from a guy manning the taxi service at MMK for THB2500. His name is Mr Nart. His contact is [--](overseas) or[--] (local). Transfers to and from the airport were provided by MMK without inconvenience at all. Generally, traffic and transportation are good in Phuket.

PROXIMITY
MMK is about 15 – 20 minutes away from the airport. It is great for a weary traveler. However, MMK is also next to nowhere else. A trip to Patong would be an hour on average. A trip to Phuket Town would be about 45 minutes. MMK is a great place to stay if you want peace and quiet. If you’re into night life, shopping, frequent massages, etc., you will discover that travelling is a waste of time and money. Transfers to these places are not cheap at all.

FOOD
Our package came with two complimentary adult buffet breakfasts for all the days we stayed there. Breakfast is something like S$20+ per person and S$10+ per child (5 – 12?). Kids below 5 eat free. Breakfast is served at their main restaurant called Zest. It serves an international spread with a bit of Asian dishes. Breakfast is good. Food quality is good and reasonably well-spread, considering the size of the property. One thing though – have your breakfast early or you’ll have to contend with either waiting to be seated or sitting outside the restaurant and facing the morning sun. you need to pay for breakfast for additional guests, ask concierge (or the person manning the booth next to the concierge) for free 20% discount tickets. This is given to hotel guests. I don’t know the rationale though. This is a tip - There is also a café beside the restaurant called Café Delights. It serves light pastry and bread and also some heavier sides like salads and wraps and others. After 6.30pm, only the pastry items (displayed in the clear plastic display case in the middle) are half-priced. All other items are at regular prices without discount. Food here is palatable, but a little pricey. We also took the advice of a fellow reviewer and visited Kin Dee – a traditional Thai restaurant with traditional Thai food. The restaurant is basically a makeshift platform built over a cliff overlooking sparse vegetation. At night, you will be dining with beetles and ants, but they aren’t that bad. The beetles can be a little daunting at first – they’re about 2” in length. The prices at Kin Dee are reasonable. The food is generally good – you must try the Tom Yam Goong. However, I felt that not all the ingredients used were fresh. For some dishes, the prawns used were soft and squishy. Great news for all – Kin Dee caters to takeouts and delivers! Free of charge!! Their no is[--] or [--]. Just tell them your room no and your food will arrive at the appointed time. Food and drinks at tourist spots are pricey. If you are on a budget, bring lots of mineral water and bread along. If not, be prepared to splurge about SGD$50 – SGD$70 per person for meals and drinks for the whole day.

To end off, I always love the rustic charm of Phuket and would definitely go back in future. For all my trips, I stayed at different hotels. This is a good way of sampling different service and comfort levels. Don’t get me wrong - I do appreciate my stay at MMK but if I have to pay villa prices, I would definitely not return to it again. The difference in treatment at JW Marriott and at MMK is definitely stark. The competence level of the staff at these two sister hotels is also obvious. To sum it up, my title applies. MMK – close, but no cigars.

8 Thank KevinSingapore
Beijing, China
Reviewed March 16, 2010

We had an excellent stay at the Marriott Mai Khao Beach. We stayed as part of the Owner Referral Program, so most of our stay was also free! We had to sit through a 90-minute presentation on the Marriott Vacation Club Asia-Pacific, but it was remarkably low-pressure. The facilities are excellent and perfect for our family with a 1 year old and 4 year old. The villa was fantastic and well appointed with everything we needed. Comfortable beds. Needed relatively little babyproofing for our curious 1 year old. Crib and high chair were provided. Kids LOVED the pool and so did we - the islands are perfect for lounging while our older daughter swam. The Zorb ball was a big hit with her as well, every day at noon for 300B. The super shallow section was perfect for the baby and the kids pool with slide was fun as well. We never made it over to the JW to try out their pool.
Restuarants at the MMK were just average and expensive but we made ample use of the Turtle Mart store next door and the Coffee Club and the Bill Bentley's Pub for cheaper food. We did eat at Ginja at the JW and it was excellent albeit pricey.
Based on other reviews we took the cooking class at Kin Dee Restaurant with Ton, which was outstanding and exactly what we were looking for - a very authentic, local, Thai food experience and delicious food! You can email her at [--] to find out more and have your own great experience and take a little bit of Thailand home with you. She used to teach at the JW and still supplies them and many other hotels with their curry paste.
We also ventured south to eat at Lotus Restaurant in Laguna/Bang Tao beach area, and while the setting was nice the food was just average. I think we missed out by not ordering lobster, seemed like everyone else was getting lobster so maybe that's a better dish.
My kids also enjoyed the kids club and we found the staff to be friendly, helpful and accomodating.
The beach is beautiful - I just wish it was easier to get a buggy back to the resort as walking with tired, wet kids is not always optimal. I also wish they had a way to lend out beach chairs for use on the beach.
Massages on the beach near the JW for 400 baht for an hour were excellent. 200 baht for half hour.
There was free internet in the room if you brought your own laptop. There were computers with internet you could use in the Kids Club, but that was not free. Guess I should have checked that or I might have brought my laptop.
Except for Kin Dee there really does not seem to be much else in the area, as other reviewers have suggested, but we were there to enjoy the resort.
Overall our stay was basically perfect - perfect weather, perfect pool, perfect room - and I wish I could go back!

1 Thank travelerinva801
Reviewed March 16, 2010

I'm not a fussy traveller so everything was fine for me. Villa was great with spacious living room, balcony, master bed room & guest room. Kitchenette was available fully equipped. Bed was comfortable & master bathroom was really huge with very large bathtub. Me, hubby & 2 small kids get to be in the bathtub together. It's like your having holiday without leaving the comfort of your home except that it was more luxury than my own home. Service was good, weather there was fine, buffet breakfast & dinner was fantastic. I have not much complain except that for 2 different occassions there were large lizards found in my villa. That really freaked me out! You have to walk about 5-7 mins to get to the beach. The beach is located at the neighbour JW Marriott. You can use the pool there if you're Mariott's guest. Overall, I have a very nice stay. Highly recommended for families that require space, fun & privacy.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
new york
Reviewed March 10, 2010

My husband and I are frequent travelers and try to explore great properties around the world (last year was Park Hyatt Goa and before that Amandari). For out 40th b-days this year, we were looking for a a relaxing, luxury vacation in an exotic locale that ALSO good for young families (our boys are 8 and 4). Our trip to Mai Khao Beach came pretty close to perfection. Adults are able to enjoy an exotic luxury getaway (eg martinis at the Blue Bar at sunset) in a kid friendly environment. The combination of JW property and Mai Khao facilities make it one of best hotels in the world IMHO. Mai Khao was built last year in 2009 and the villas are large, modern and elegant - they actually look like a friend of mine's apartment in Chelsea minus the elephant paintings. Both properties - particularly the JW property are incredibly landscaped. Even though this place is great for kids (chicken nuggets, toys in the cafe, great kids club etc) it is quiet and elegant - the designers clearly made an effort for the properties to feel part of the modern Thai look and natural foliage - there are beautiful pools and gardens and no garish colors or materials anywhere - even the laundry carts are cleverly, hidden in teak. Mai Khao has a great kids club and babysitting service (which we used a little too frequently so we could eat at the Thai restaurant Ginja at the JW). A few tips - there is a Turtle Market next door for milk etc, but I'd take a taxi on arrival to the local Tesco so you can stock up on staples (eg at Tesco wine is $15 USD vs $30+ at the local shop, ditto peanut butter which was $8). Try the Ginja restauarant and the cooking school course. The Andaman Leisure cruise to the Phi Phi Islands was amazing. Also - we went off season and it was 90 Farenheit and sunny every day and deliciously quiet at the pool and beaches. The vacation and the hotel exceeded my expectations and we'll be dreaming of the sunsets when we get back.

1 Thank nycintrepidtraveller
Reviewed January 22, 2010

We're a Singapoean family, and if you've been to Singapore, you'll know that we want the best for everything. No time for compromising. Best hotel, best food, best service, best everything! In local slang, it's called "kiasu-ism" (in a good way of course)

We were greeted at the airport by a friendly staff of MVC, nevermind he got my name wrong, his warm smile was more than enough to make amends. He swiftly escorted us to a waiting van and we were whisked off to Marriott Mai Khao (MMK)

We were given flower garlands upon our arrival and were also treated to a special welcome drink of Roselle tea. Pls insist on this as it's one of the best tasting tea we've tried.

I shall not dwell too much on the apartment itself as it's been basically covered by everyone here. Maybe just to give you a rough estimate of the size, I would put it in the 1500 sqft to 1800sqft region. Pretty big for a 2bedroom apartment. The master bedroom toilet is awesome! I've never loved a toilet so much before....

Some useful info:
- 50% off pastries and cakes at the bakery from 6pm - 930pm. The chocolate stuff are good.
- Use the buggy services as it can get quite tiring plying btw JW Marriott and MMK.
- Contrary to what others have reported about not being able to use the facilities at JWM, I beg to differ. There were so many people at JWM, I really find it impossible for staff to keep track of who's living there and who's not. (I didn't try though, it's just a personal assessment)
- Massage by the beach by the local ladies ARE TO DIE FOR!!! Going rate is 400B for an hour. I was not sure, so I went for 30mins @ 200B. They literally massage you from head to toe!
- Do not get the hotel staff to arrange a taxi for you if you're heading out to Patong or Phuket Town. They are charging about 2200B round trip for a van. I did a search and called up a local guy called Mr. Au, who charged me 1600B. Can't seem to find his number any where now, sorry. Do a search, you'll prolly find his self-ad.

Food at Turtle village is decent. The Coffee Club is a nice place to chill and have dinner or lunch, at decent prices. Try the Tom Yum, Thai Fried rice, Green curry pork, Pad Thai...all at 89B. The chocolate milk shake is the best I've had in a long time. Think it was 70B. Swensens is a good-to-have, to counter the sweltering heat.

Ok, here's the main thing I wanted to highlight. You have to try this Thai Restaurant called Kin Dee. It's just across the road from MMK. It's walk-able, but not advisable if there are little ones in tow. If you are an all-adult group, PLS do the nice lady boss some justice and patronize her newly-opened joint. Ask the taxi drive, they'll know.

We found out after tasting the first few dished that she was Thailand's champion chef in 2008. She had actually won a country-wide culinary competition! I think that speaks volumes. I eat, live and breathe Thai-food. I can assure you that you'll love it. But pls prepare mosquito repellant or wear longs with covered toe shoes. The mozzies are out to play.

The prices are very reasonable too. Here's our orders (All large portions, good for 6pax):
1) Tom Yum soup + refill of soup
2) Thai Green curry
3) Thai fried chicken wings
4) Oyster omelette
5) Clams in chilli and basil leaves
6) Signature fish (cannot recall the exact name)
7) Vegetable
8) Drinks all round
9) Unlimited steamed white rice
We paid only 1390B in all!

If there is one reason why I'd go back to Phuket, it's Kin Dee. It's that good. I promised the lady boss I'd do a review for her. So if you 're reading this, I've kept my end of the bargain =)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
7 Thank EEESingapore
Reviewed January 18, 2010

Love the rooms - great size, luxurious and the beds are the most comfortable I've ever slept on. My husband and I have since bought the very same bed cover, duvet and pillows from the very Thai company that supplies the hotel! Service is also excellent. Not too many restaurants though but there is a shopping village right next to it so it's great. Also we ate at the Marriott Resort & Spa most nights. I think the only thing this place does not have going for it is that it is not right by the beach, however the beach isn't really too far away and what we did was take the (free) buggy to the Marriott Resort & Spa next door (which is right by the beach) and hang out by their pool every now and then. Will definitely go back and recommend anyone thinking of going.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
#1 of 34 in Choeng Thale
SALA Phuket Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Phuket Resort & Spa
Marriott's Phuket Beach Club

Been to Marriott's Mai Khao Beach - Phuket? Share your experiences!