We had been there in June second week - and were hesitant about travel because our train booking of pune-kasargod by Purna express did not confirm till last moment and we had to at last take pune-mangalore Airavat Volvo and by road till Bekal. This location seems somewhat difficult to reach, but the road from Manglore-Bekal was so beautiful and scenic that it took our 14 hour travel fatigue away.
The hotel itself is a lavish property spread across a large area and is in between an awesome backwater and a private beach. If you are a kind of person who enjoy not counting number of locations you visited but admire very few beautiful locations taking time, Vivanta by taj, bekal is the place for you. The rooms are beautiful, private sit out itself was a bliss and very relaxing. Also enjoyable were the bicycle rides (Cycling after a lot of time- so took it easy with the slight up-hills in hotel campus but completely enjoyed cycling.) Also tried Archery- which is 400 bucks extra (and I tell you, not as easy as it seems seeing someone doing it in a photo :) )
Pros - Excellent location and food. Local specialties are worth tasting, we tasted and liked Avial, Appam, rice Idli, raagi Idli and Sambar. Especially loved the excellent spongy Idli's and yummy sambar in the breakfast. The sambar was cooked perfect way with right amount of spices. Though there were many choices in buffet breakfast, the idli and sambar was so good that I had it all the 3 days.The staff is polite and always helpful.
1. No tea/coffee served poolside (Now for a non-alcohol drinker like me, who is a tea crazy person and prefers having masala chaai even in 36 degree Pune summer, it felt like a complete injustice. It was raining and beautiful view and prefect weather for sipping a good tea or steaminf hot coffee @ poolside after swimming. I really don't know why this bias about people ordering tea/coffee at poolside.)
2. As someone already mentioned in one review- No Indian style commode showers for room Toilets (I could find them in spa washrooms though.)
3. Changing rooms somewhat away from swimming pool, as they are the spa changing rooms inside the spa and gym building. So you have to go inside(go changing after swim) and come out dripping wet (in case of after having a shower and going for swim) and making the smooth spa building floor wet and slippery.
4. The way connecting rooms and front lobby should be well lighted, especially the back shortcut connecting to lobby corridor.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with DerbySoftTaj, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Orbitz and HotelQuickly so you can book your Vivanta by Taj Bekal reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.