“Family Holiday’s”

Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Playa de Muro
Lisbon
“Family Holiday’s”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I went with my wife and 5 year old child to this hotel to spend the last week of August 2013. The objective was not to spend our days running around the island but to do hotel vacations and enjoy the hotel and its surroundings, with this in mind we choose an All Inclusive package.

The rooms were pleasant and clean, we had some ants but somehow they “magically” disappeared.
The staff, with only one exception, is extremely friendly, even with a full hotel the staff kept their sympathy on.
The food is wonderful, the variety and quality was great, 5 starts on this.
The beach is right next the hotel, 20 meters from the pool. The water is crystal clear and the sand is clean.
The Night show is the same all over the world.

The internet it’s not free, not even the computers in the lobby had internet connection. You can request a temp access 30 minutes per day or pay 20 euros for 7 day unlimited access.
Not enough tables/seats for everyone to watch the shows. It was war time right before the show, people were fighting for a chair.
Poll seats also not enough. The first thing that a lot of people did was to secure a nice poll spot.
Most of Kid’s activities are poor, my kid got bored and left most of the activity’s earlier. For me this was the biggest negative aspect of the hotel.
You cannot drop your kids there and pick them up 30 minutes later.

Tips:
Do not rent a car at the hotel, just cross the street and you will find many places to rent a car much cheaper.
You will find some touristic operators (not from the Hotel) that provide excursions in the island, I had a very bad experience with the “Soltropico” girl.
I wanted to get information about the “Drach” caves and she told me that the only way to see the show at the caves is to buy an excursion because the tickets were all bought by the operators. I was not convinced and made a phone call directly to the caves, the result was that the show was included in all visits and they are available to everyone.

In conclusion, for me the Hotel is very good but it was not enough things for kids to do.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Went for 7 days early August loved the hotel food was great staff were great beach is the best I have ever been to entertainment team were brilliant just wished I could fine where to buy the in my suitcase song as my girls still sing it everyday

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Location was great for the beach. The hotel was modern and well maintained and the staff were very friendly. Food was good with lots of choice although with a young family we were pleased we had gone half board and able to swap evening meal for lunch as the hotel restaurant was self service (not unsurprisingly) and we personally found meal time more enjoyable without one of us constantly being up getting something. There were plenty of places nearby where you could eat out. Pool area of the hotel was good for families and the hotel faced right on to a lovely safe beach. There was evening entertainment each night. We only saw the kids entertainment which they enjoyed. We didn't see the later shows but there was good variety and they seemed popular. We did hear them as they were loud but always stopped by 11pm, There was also a good kids club for young kids and older ones and they always seemed to have fun.
The only criticism was more about guests rather than the hotel as despite the best efforts of the hotel guests seemed intent on reserving space by the pool by whatever means. The hotel actually stacked all the loungers each evening and chained them and by 8.30 in the morning there would be a crowd around them waiting for them to be unchained having already put towels down by "their" space or wrapped towels around "their" umbrella. We just paid each day to use the beach facilities and walked the short distance to use the pool whenever we fancied it.
In summary a good choice for a family beach holiday and we would go back - just a shame certain guests of certain nationalities couldn't just take their chances that there would be a sun lounger free when they needed one!

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

What a fantastic holiday at this hotel. Could not fault the staff, entertainment team, cleanliness etc. The choice of food was excellent and the restaurant staff were very helpful and friendly. The entertainment team were amazing from the kids clubs on offer, activities provided to the selection of shows that were shown. The only disappointing thing on this holiday is that the sun beds on the beach were not part of our all inclusive package. But saying that the beach was on our doorstep and so you could pop to the beach or in the sea very easily.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Oslo
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had a perfect family holiday at Alcudia Park in July, we stayed for three weeks, and was not tired of food, people or the beach for a minute. Did not bother to get up to get a sunbed by the pool, but bought a "beach tent" where the children could lay and read in the shadow, when they were out of the sea for a minute.
The rooms are a bit old, the beds and pillows not the best. We got an extra mattress on request in one of the beds.
Rented car one day, went to the east coast, very nice. Went to Palma and Alcudia, old town and the port. The buses go frequently, and it is easy to go around. Walked on the beach to Alcudia one evening, took us about 40 minutes.
I would recommend this hotel to any family with children. The food, the service, the beach and all the extras (lollies to the children, balloon-making before dinner etc, etc) makes this our best holiday so far.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sunny Southend on sea
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Went mid August as a family of four, children 8 and 5.
Heard Iberostar have fantastic kids clubs, and you cant fault them, they work exceptionally hard, activities all day to join in or stay away from.
We had a pool view apartment, perfectly reasonable, small bathroom, but thats my only gripe although the beds are pretty ordinary. Maids are great, always happy and room always clean.

Food is good overall and comparable to any hotel at this level, they mix it up well, even having a kebab night, which was a real change.

A few issues, one that caught me out. I booked with the hotel directly, and having traveled a lot I expected to pay the bill at the end of the stay at the hotel. Not here, and in fairness reading the small print on the booking, it does say payment on arrival. Ive never known that before, been with H10, Marriot etc etc and all I pay when I leave. Just something to be aware of.
As I only found this out since getting home, At the time I said I would pay when I leave, then on the next three visits to reception was asked every time, if I was going to pay my bill. A tad embarrassing and at the time I thought unnecessary. On reflection, and having read the booking form it was my error. Even so, not a great start.
Sunbeds are there if you want to get up early, high season and I managed to get beds at 8.30, but we preferred the beach. Its an older hotel and there isnt really enough room around the pool for the sunbeds they have. So it feels really squashed and hemmed in. people falling over each other. the beach is a way better option, its beautiful, and I am not generally a beach person.
We would head to the pool around 4pm and generally get one or two beds so the kids could end the day in the pool.
Adult entertainment is mixed, volley ball everyday but I was disappointed there was no football or water polo. shooting, archery etc but do like a team game and there just isnt the space.

Two things make this hotel, the beach is lovely but its the people who work here that are just superb, really made the hotel grow on me over ten days. If you asked day one, would I return, no way, day 5 or 6 maybe, day 10 I was sad to go.
If you try a little Spanish, they warm to you hugely. A lot of other Nationalities, but all mix well, Russians, Germans, Swiss all sorts, but I like it like that.
Overall, it really grew on me, mostly due to the people, but also the tranquility of the beach in the mornings, the kids club trying so hard, and just generally the whole experience.
I will go Iberostar again, maybe not back here, as I do like to kick a ball about on holiday.

One quick tip, if you go to the lobby of your block, there are 5 in total. Most people leave Parasols, lilos buckets and spades etc here when they leave.

1 Thank CaptainAndo
worcestershire
Reviewed August 25, 2013

we visited in may this year for a 1 week stay. we have stayed in much bigger iberostar hotels but found this to be perfect for our needs. small but easy to navigate. spotless clean with excellent friendly staff. food was great with plenty of choice for all. we were all incusive so took advantage of whats on offer especially the fresh cooked meats and salads. drinks were great..lots of cocktail choices included in the all inclusive.rooms average but didn't spend much time in there except to wash and sleep. small pools and very cold when were there, would imagine they warm up and get busy during peak season. fantastic beach location with clear waters and white sands. not too busy and always able to find a good spot.Lots of beach activities including jet skis, boats and volley ball. Its a lovely walk along the beach to alcudia port town and takes about 30 mins..Alcudia town is modern with plenty of eating areas and shops. prices ok..its euros so what do you expect.
We would return again just for the beach and the easy access to everything. so if your looking for a good family hotel that caters for children and want somewhere safe and friendly then you cant go wrong here.perfect for couples too...plenty of quiet areas.

Room Tip: It doesnt matter which room you are given..will be possible to hear the activities from all. but doe...