“Hotel has mixed reviews-Take note of the negative ones as they are true!”

Hotel Roc Continental Park
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Playa de Muro
Reviewed October 7, 2012

we read all reviews before making this booking, but due to the reviews being mixed we decided to proceed & book and take the reviews as a ''pinch of salt''. - Worst mistake we ever did, and we wished we had taken note of the negative reviews!!
The food is horrific - too cold/ not cooked properly, and not much choice the menue remained the same through out the week, consisting of fish dishes or undercooked chips or cold soups.
The carpets are stained and very worn, light fixtures broken and so was our balcony door (which took 4 days to be fixed). Upon arrival i also had a rag for a towel - very frayed and with holes. This hotel is based in play de muro (outside/outskirts of Alcudia) the night life consits of 3 bars the rest is mainly restaurants and supermarkets (not what we were previously informed) I WOULD NEVER GO BACK to this Hotel and have pictures to back this review up i also made the complaint whilst there and will be following this up now I'm back. Please DO take note of this review, and use another hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tarn377

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Hi, stayed at this hotel from 16th sept for a week, had a great time, ok the carperts on the stairs are not great but take the lift...food was good,everything you need, lots of wine great value for the money,staff very nice and helpful, rooms were ok basic but it is a three star hotel,
would not hesitate in going back, enjoyed every minute 5 minutes from a lovely beach.

Room Tip: 5th floor nice and quiet
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This hotel is shocking! We went there for 11 days and it has been the worst experience of my life!!!
First of all, the food was horrific; we went there all inclusive and ended up going out six nights to get something to eat costing a fortune.
Then on the second night I had my purse stolen out of my bag which had 100 Euros in it.
Then, to top of the nightmare that was this holiday, on the 9th night the other couple we went with had £600 stolen out of their room. We went to the reception to report it and to try to understand how something like this could have happened as it was in a locked purse in a locked case in a locked room and there were only two people that had access to this room. Those people were the couple that were staying there and the cleaner. To my utter disgust the receptionist didn’t seem to care and just passed it off. Every time we went down to see if there was any news, they did absolutely nothing. Then to my sheer amazement the receptionist said that, and I quote, “Well anyone could get into any of the rooms with a credit card”... Disgusting!!!!!!

4  Thank emmamurphy16
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Spent 2 weeks on an all-inclusive holiday at the Continental Park - from 28 August till 11 September - with my wife, her sister and her sister's husband. The accommodation was more than adequate with towels changed every day and bed linen every second day. The food was varied, very well presented and available from either the Dining Room or the bar area throughout the day. The staff were exceptionally friendly and attentive which resulted in a very relaxed atmosphere which was exactly what we had come on holiday to enjoy. The pools were very clean and there were plenty of sun beds available for the use of guests. The only downside was the evening entertainment which, despite the best efforts of the in-house staff, left a lot to be desired. The in-house staff provided entertainment from dawn to dusk for the children, but much more needs to be done to provide a programme of entertaiment to suit adults. This is a pity as there is a very suitable outdoor stage with lots of seating available.

The hotel is only 4 minutes walk from the beach if the poolside becomes too crowded, and for those who like to see the sights Playa de Muro is situated centrally between Puerto Pollensa and C'an Picafort both of which are only a short bus or taxi ride away (4 people in a taxi costs only fractionally more than bus fares for 4). The old town of Alcudia is between Playa de Muro and Puerto Pollensa so is also easily accessed. There was plenty to see and do and the weather, apart from a couple of 3-hour sessions, was excellent.

We all enjoyed our stay at Playa de Muro and have nothing but praise for the Hotel staff and the facilities. We are already planning our return visit.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Myself and my husband arrived very late at night and when we got to our room on the 3rd floor were greated by the stale smell of smoke in the room. It was very strong even in the wardrobes, we spoke to the rep who apologised and explained no one should be smoking inside the rooms. We left it at that as the room itself was clean and ample for the 2 of us. I do agree the room would not have been enough if we'd brought both our children and judging by the state of the bunkbeds i wouldn't have let them sleep on them anyway !

The food on the first few days seemed adequate but it was rather non descript and there many guests giving each other points if they could guess what they were eating ! Packet soup / packet savoury rice for the paella / tinned fruit cocktail and what we thought were fishy type bites which tasted of cardboard !! The veal was extremely fatty we soon realised the german guests had the right idea as they picked through the best of it leaving the grissly bits behind - to be fair I would actually disagree it was even veal they served as looked more like stewing steak than anything. We gave up and ate out - don't get me wrong I can eat pretty much anything but even I struggled to put a meal together.

The bar - you can be served drinks right up until midnight but don't expect to be allowed to drink them in the area itself. The staff rudely turn off the lights and tell you to just get out. There were a number of complaints to the management whilst we were there. I felt for those with children who were indeed very scared of being plunged into darkness. I know one guest actually asked the management what they would do if all the guests wanted to finish their drinks in reception and they just couldn't answer. We decided not drink in the hotel either and instead opted for the lovely Brisas cafe bar next door which had live music everynight - including traditional Spanish which was lovely with Raf serving the best cocktails - not the packet stuff in the hotel.

The entertainment was non-existent - unless you like darts / shuffle board / killer pool and a DJ who say hello puts on a CD and the at the end says good bye !!!!

Finding Posh Paddy's was our saviour ( turn right at the fish hook roundabout ), Brendan playing more instruments than you can count every night of the week. He is also a comedian who has worked pretty much everywhere and speaks to every single customer who comes through the door. Matt and Magic behind the bar are just the best and also Chris from Smiths across the road ( same owner for both places ).

We had such fun with Raf & Brisas / Brendan & the team at Paddy's they really made the holiday.

I have written to First Choice directly regarding the Hotel itself but do agree a holiday is what you make it. We didn't like the hotel itself and would not go back there as such. I think i would have felt differently if this was self catering but as its all inclusive the idea is that you don't feel the need to go anywhere else. Like a number of guests we met we found the need to get away from the hotel was stronger.

As I say this is just our opinion, we usually stay in a 2 star hotel in Turkey..............it runs rings around this place. I hope this helps.

1  Thank ChrissieNcle
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed at this hotel at the end of the six weeks holiday as a family with two children. Arrived late at night and had food laid on in the dining room. Our room was on the small size with a double bed and bunk beds for the children but was very clean with plenty of storage for clothes. We had lovely views of the bay of Alcudia and the sea having a room on the back of the hotel but beware, if your a light sleeper the entertainment/music goes on until about 11:45 which became very annoying after 10 nights. The food was excellent with plenty of variety, the restaurant staff were so attentive and cleared the tables within seconds of you clearing your plate. Cold drinks and wine, beer and sangria are available on tap and the friendly bar staff are on hand to provide you with spirits and cocktails if this is what you'd prefer. The pool area is adequate but the sunbeds can go quickly as soon as they open the area for you to stake your claim but with the golden sandy beach just a five minute stroll away this isn't something to concern you. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would consider returning, as its an excellent base within easy reach of Alcudia and other places of interest of which a trip to the beautiful natural harbour of Porto cristo is a must, which is where you also find the awe-inspiring caves of Drach.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I am a returning customer who came here last June 2011. I try to give my review fairly...

Hotel
We had delay due to a storm so was forced to land at Ibiza for a while, hence got to the hotel late and ended up missing dinner, so was nice that the hotel did leave some food, however, it is salad, but you have to remember that the hotel cant keep hot food for you as they dont know exactly when you are due to arrive , which I thought was fair enough.
Hotel is kept very clean... still have the grubby carpets though, but tbh I prefer them as it did keep noisy foot steps away outside your room.
Pool area was always kept clean, we had pool facing so could see them cleaning, jet washing loungers, hoover out pool (using a pool gagdet) Hassan the bar man always worked hard too, making sure that it always looked nice.

Rooms
For a family of 4 these rooms are way way too small. You get a double bed with bunkbeds that are squeased between your bed and the wardrobes. I thought I could re-live with this as this was our 2nd time there, however, after the first week we felt really cramped. The bunkbeds are dangerous too, if your child would fall out, they would be hitting very hard ground :( the side panals are not very stable and worry me. What a lot of families did was sleep both children in the bottom bunk or 2 children + 1 adult in double bed (double beds are very big) and other adult in botton bunk. The double bed, I personally found very comfortable, but I like hard matress, they are very hard. The pillows are very narrow, but if you require spare they are more than happy to let you have more. Rooms are cleaned daily, new towels every other day and bed sheets every weeks.

Balcony
Very very tiny, ours just became another storage area for inflatables an towels as thats all it would fit and even if you could fit on there and was able to sit at your 2 chairs and table supplied, you see a thing as concrete, also not safe for children as they cant see over the top of it meaning they climb to see over, meaning very dangerous...

Entertainment
This I felt wasnt quiet as good as last years, and I dont think I am not the only one to think of it... BUT... it was enough for us, and the 2 dutch girls, Donna and Tessa, worked very hard and was very funny, my girls loved them. And also the guy who also worked with them too. Those guys, worked at our hotel and another too... I found their shows very funny. The parrot show was a little let down, but still made my daughter laugh out very loud.
My girls liked going to the kids club however they did get fed-up with just painting, but think this went downhill as there wasnt really enough children.
Overall I thought the entertainment was good for this hotel, what you have to remember, its not First choice entertainment, the hotel emply a company. I feel the hotel will not have top class acts when there are only 155 rooms, it is only a small hotel and only a 3 start, so please dont expect huge entertainment, and i do feel this hotel is one of the cheapest so you get what you pay for.

I felt the food was ok, again this is not the UK so dont expect your usual UK food ie roasts... they are the med, and they eat a lot of fish.
Breakfast - was served at 7.30 till 10 (i think) and they had everything from cereal, your fry-ups, yogurts, bread ham cheese, bakery, fruit the lot.... plus help yourslef to hot and cold drinks.
Lunch - This was the not so good but still ok, this was served 1-3, and would get fish, pasta, salads and pizza etc.. plus cake and fruit
Dinner- was served 6.30-9 and wasnt too bad, you get your salads, fish, chips, beef, veal, pork, paella's lasagna's meat balls etc... lots of varies.
Snack bar was in the bar area, 12-5 which had your salads, bakery chips, and battered surprise lol, they do like to batter veg, but you never knew what it was, hence I named it battered surprise, you'd get, battered... peppers, brocolli, colliflour etc What we did like was spring rolls, they were yummy. You also could make up burgers and hotdogs and could make toast too. Or would get something from dining hall at lunch and mix it with snack..

Drinks
I thought this was the best bit, you have a bar where you just help yourself to unlimited drinks, it had, coke, diet coke, sprite, fanta, juices, water, 2 flavoured slushes, beer, your 3 differ wines, sangria, and all your hot drinks. If you wanted to spirits and cocktails, you had to ask at the main bar where you get HUGE measures. Hassan is very nice as is another guy that worked there with glasses, but didnt get his name. Only think I didnt like was when we had a storm one night the bar got busy and Hassan clearly didnt like it going over 12, which I think is fair if thats the rule, but when your drinking having fun, you dont always see the time, he just switched off all the lights leaving it pretty dark to find your belongings, and also left my daughters in a very tearful state who got scared with the storm and being in the dark. He should of warned us like in a pub, with a bell or something...
Yes you have to pay 50cents for a tumbler, but I thought this was fair and didnt see this as a problem as you got your 50 cents back when you no longer needed the tumbler or could exchange it for a cleaner one.

We had pool view (odd numbers are pool view) which is lovely, you feel part of everything but is very noisy and forget any early nights you want as they play music from 10 am till midnight and the same old CD's over and over... very boring....zzz

The pool was opened at 9am so running out at crack of dawn to reserve them, and tbh you didnt need to reserve them as we always found some available, but this could be due to season (although we didnt have any troubles last year in June either)

So overall, we had a lovely time here in this hotel, we enjoyed the food, drinks and entertainment, not sure if I would return, as the rooms are very small. Hotel in great area, just 5-10 mins walk to the beach with is well worth a visit, very very lovely. Leon Rojo is a good place to eat, they will look after you there, which is right next to beach, a couple of doors away from the swan.
We did the Pirate show, which is fantastic, dont book with first choice before, book there as I saved 100 euros for a family of 4 still booking with first choice rep there.
Buses are 1.50euros to go anywhere, but avoid weekends as gets very busy, port of Alcudia is lovely at night but dont think I would swim there as smells very badly at that end.
We stayed there first 2 weeks of Sept and not sure if Id do sept again as everyone is on a wind down, hardly any children too. Weather was good, only a couple of rain and one storm, rest was very hot. Oh and the pool is very cold too, sea is a lot warmer, but be careful not to swallow to much sea water as very yukkie.

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are noisy all music stops at midnight, odd numbers are pool side. Pool side also has...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
#25 of 30 in Playa de Muro
Universal Aparthotel Elisa
Universal Aparthotel Elisa
#28 of 30 in Playa de Muro

Been to Hotel Roc Continental Park? Share your experiences!