“Good and Bad”

Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Playa de Muro
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Good and Bad”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Myself and my husband arrived very late at night and when we got to our room on the 3rd floor were greated by the stale smell of smoke in the room. It was very strong even in the wardrobes, we spoke to the rep who apologised and explained no one should be smoking inside the rooms. We left it at that as the room itself was clean and ample for the 2 of us. I do agree the room would not have been enough if we'd brought both our children and judging by the state of the bunkbeds i wouldn't have let them sleep on them anyway !

The food on the first few days seemed adequate but it was rather non descript and there many guests giving each other points if they could guess what they were eating ! Packet soup / packet savoury rice for the paella / tinned fruit cocktail and what we thought were fishy type bites which tasted of cardboard !! The veal was extremely fatty we soon realised the german guests had the right idea as they picked through the best of it leaving the grissly bits behind - to be fair I would actually disagree it was even veal they served as looked more like stewing steak than anything. We gave up and ate out - don't get me wrong I can eat pretty much anything but even I struggled to put a meal together.

The bar - you can be served drinks right up until midnight but don't expect to be allowed to drink them in the area itself. The staff rudely turn off the lights and tell you to just get out. There were a number of complaints to the management whilst we were there. I felt for those with children who were indeed very scared of being plunged into darkness. I know one guest actually asked the management what they would do if all the guests wanted to finish their drinks in reception and they just couldn't answer. We decided not drink in the hotel either and instead opted for the lovely Brisas cafe bar next door which had live music everynight - including traditional Spanish which was lovely with Raf serving the best cocktails - not the packet stuff in the hotel.

The entertainment was non-existent - unless you like darts / shuffle board / killer pool and a DJ who say hello puts on a CD and the at the end says good bye !!!!

Finding Posh Paddy's was our saviour ( turn right at the fish hook roundabout ), Brendan playing more instruments than you can count every night of the week. He is also a comedian who has worked pretty much everywhere and speaks to every single customer who comes through the door. Matt and Magic behind the bar are just the best and also Chris from Smiths across the road ( same owner for both places ).

We had such fun with Raf & Brisas / Brendan & the team at Paddy's they really made the holiday.

I have written to First Choice directly regarding the Hotel itself but do agree a holiday is what you make it. We didn't like the hotel itself and would not go back there as such. I think i would have felt differently if this was self catering but as its all inclusive the idea is that you don't feel the need to go anywhere else. Like a number of guests we met we found the need to get away from the hotel was stronger.

As I say this is just our opinion, we usually stay in a 2 star hotel in Turkey..............it runs rings around this place. I hope this helps.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChrissieNcle

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
birmingham
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel at the end of the six weeks holiday as a family with two children. Arrived late at night and had food laid on in the dining room. Our room was on the small size with a double bed and bunk beds for the children but was very clean with plenty of storage for clothes. We had lovely views of the bay of Alcudia and the sea having a room on the back of the hotel but beware, if your a light sleeper the entertainment/music goes on until about 11:45 which became very annoying after 10 nights. The food was excellent with plenty of variety, the restaurant staff were so attentive and cleared the tables within seconds of you clearing your plate. Cold drinks and wine, beer and sangria are available on tap and the friendly bar staff are on hand to provide you with spirits and cocktails if this is what you'd prefer. The pool area is adequate but the sunbeds can go quickly as soon as they open the area for you to stake your claim but with the golden sandy beach just a five minute stroll away this isn't something to concern you. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would consider returning, as its an excellent base within easy reach of Alcudia and other places of interest of which a trip to the beautiful natural harbour of Porto cristo is a must, which is where you also find the awe-inspiring caves of Drach.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
kent
Reviewed September 20, 2012

I am a returning customer who came here last June 2011. I try to give my review fairly...

Hotel
We had delay due to a storm so was forced to land at Ibiza for a while, hence got to the hotel late and ended up missing dinner, so was nice that the hotel did leave some food, however, it is salad, but you have to remember that the hotel cant keep hot food for you as they dont know exactly when you are due to arrive , which I thought was fair enough.
Hotel is kept very clean... still have the grubby carpets though, but tbh I prefer them as it did keep noisy foot steps away outside your room.
Pool area was always kept clean, we had pool facing so could see them cleaning, jet washing loungers, hoover out pool (using a pool gagdet) Hassan the bar man always worked hard too, making sure that it always looked nice.

Rooms
For a family of 4 these rooms are way way too small. You get a double bed with bunkbeds that are squeased between your bed and the wardrobes. I thought I could re-live with this as this was our 2nd time there, however, after the first week we felt really cramped. The bunkbeds are dangerous too, if your child would fall out, they would be hitting very hard ground :( the side panals are not very stable and worry me. What a lot of families did was sleep both children in the bottom bunk or 2 children + 1 adult in double bed (double beds are very big) and other adult in botton bunk. The double bed, I personally found very comfortable, but I like hard matress, they are very hard. The pillows are very narrow, but if you require spare they are more than happy to let you have more. Rooms are cleaned daily, new towels every other day and bed sheets every weeks.

Balcony
Very very tiny, ours just became another storage area for inflatables an towels as thats all it would fit and even if you could fit on there and was able to sit at your 2 chairs and table supplied, you see a thing as concrete, also not safe for children as they cant see over the top of it meaning they climb to see over, meaning very dangerous...

Entertainment
This I felt wasnt quiet as good as last years, and I dont think I am not the only one to think of it... BUT... it was enough for us, and the 2 dutch girls, Donna and Tessa, worked very hard and was very funny, my girls loved them. And also the guy who also worked with them too. Those guys, worked at our hotel and another too... I found their shows very funny. The parrot show was a little let down, but still made my daughter laugh out very loud.
My girls liked going to the kids club however they did get fed-up with just painting, but think this went downhill as there wasnt really enough children.
Overall I thought the entertainment was good for this hotel, what you have to remember, its not First choice entertainment, the hotel emply a company. I feel the hotel will not have top class acts when there are only 155 rooms, it is only a small hotel and only a 3 start, so please dont expect huge entertainment, and i do feel this hotel is one of the cheapest so you get what you pay for.

I felt the food was ok, again this is not the UK so dont expect your usual UK food ie roasts... they are the med, and they eat a lot of fish.
Breakfast - was served at 7.30 till 10 (i think) and they had everything from cereal, your fry-ups, yogurts, bread ham cheese, bakery, fruit the lot.... plus help yourslef to hot and cold drinks.
Lunch - This was the not so good but still ok, this was served 1-3, and would get fish, pasta, salads and pizza etc.. plus cake and fruit
Dinner- was served 6.30-9 and wasnt too bad, you get your salads, fish, chips, beef, veal, pork, paella's lasagna's meat balls etc... lots of varies.
Snack bar was in the bar area, 12-5 which had your salads, bakery chips, and battered surprise lol, they do like to batter veg, but you never knew what it was, hence I named it battered surprise, you'd get, battered... peppers, brocolli, colliflour etc What we did like was spring rolls, they were yummy. You also could make up burgers and hotdogs and could make toast too. Or would get something from dining hall at lunch and mix it with snack..

Drinks
I thought this was the best bit, you have a bar where you just help yourself to unlimited drinks, it had, coke, diet coke, sprite, fanta, juices, water, 2 flavoured slushes, beer, your 3 differ wines, sangria, and all your hot drinks. If you wanted to spirits and cocktails, you had to ask at the main bar where you get HUGE measures. Hassan is very nice as is another guy that worked there with glasses, but didnt get his name. Only think I didnt like was when we had a storm one night the bar got busy and Hassan clearly didnt like it going over 12, which I think is fair if thats the rule, but when your drinking having fun, you dont always see the time, he just switched off all the lights leaving it pretty dark to find your belongings, and also left my daughters in a very tearful state who got scared with the storm and being in the dark. He should of warned us like in a pub, with a bell or something...
Yes you have to pay 50cents for a tumbler, but I thought this was fair and didnt see this as a problem as you got your 50 cents back when you no longer needed the tumbler or could exchange it for a cleaner one.

We had pool view (odd numbers are pool view) which is lovely, you feel part of everything but is very noisy and forget any early nights you want as they play music from 10 am till midnight and the same old CD's over and over... very boring....zzz

The pool was opened at 9am so running out at crack of dawn to reserve them, and tbh you didnt need to reserve them as we always found some available, but this could be due to season (although we didnt have any troubles last year in June either)

So overall, we had a lovely time here in this hotel, we enjoyed the food, drinks and entertainment, not sure if I would return, as the rooms are very small. Hotel in great area, just 5-10 mins walk to the beach with is well worth a visit, very very lovely. Leon Rojo is a good place to eat, they will look after you there, which is right next to beach, a couple of doors away from the swan.
We did the Pirate show, which is fantastic, dont book with first choice before, book there as I saved 100 euros for a family of 4 still booking with first choice rep there.
Buses are 1.50euros to go anywhere, but avoid weekends as gets very busy, port of Alcudia is lovely at night but dont think I would swim there as smells very badly at that end.
We stayed there first 2 weeks of Sept and not sure if Id do sept again as everyone is on a wind down, hardly any children too. Weather was good, only a couple of rain and one storm, rest was very hot. Oh and the pool is very cold too, sea is a lot warmer, but be careful not to swallow to much sea water as very yukkie.

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are noisy all music stops at midnight, odd numbers are pool side. Pool side also has...
Scunthorpe
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We have just returned form a weeks holiday in this hotel. I travelled with my husband and two children (ages 3 and 1). Overall we had a good stay at the hotel and had no problems.
On arrival we were greeted by an english receptionist who was very helpful and explained everything we needed to know. We were given a room on the 2nd floor but had no issues when getting lifts, one was always available. The rooms are small when occupied by 4 people containing a double bed and bunk beds. Our 2 children had to both sleep on the bottom bunk as it was unsafe to sleep on the top one as it had no guard rails. It was a squeeze but they seemed to think it was fun.
The rooms are not spectacular but are what is expected of a 3 star. The balcolnys are very small but do have very high walls which made me feel safer when my children were about. The rooms were cleaned everyday and clean towels and bed linen were also provided.
The pool is an ideal size and was never very busy. My son used the childrens pool often and it was the right depth for him to play in and was one depth throughout.
The food was good there was always something we liked even the children who are very fussy. Lunch in the resturante was not the best as there was not much variety so we just had a snack from the snack bar if we wanted one. (burgers, hot dogs, sarnies and croissants) The evening meals were the nicest that i have tasted in an hotel and the puddings are amazing. The only issue we had as we seemed to attract a lot of attention in the resturante for some unknow reason we just assumed that it was due to there not being many english people in the hotel.
All the drinks were self service apart from the cocktails and long drinks. This included local larger, fizzy pop, hot drinks and slushes. We did spend a few nights in the hotel and was provided with cocktails and mixers in a pint glass which i can say i did not complain about :)
The hotel has a kids club and disco which my son did take part in and had his face painted a few times. This was not really suitable for older children but ideal for the younger ones. The entertainment was mostly provided by the hotel staff but we did enjoy taking part in the quizzes and games and did manage to win a bottle of champagne in one of them.
The area of Muro is one of the best places i have ever been to as its so relaxed and quiet. It reminds me of how Benidorm used to be before everyone decided to go there and make it a party place not a family place. The beach is fantastic and the evening market near the beach is a great to buy some unsual prezzis. Especially check out the artist who draws charactures he is a very talented person. We had a picture of our who family done and it looks so realistic we have had many comments on it since returning.
On the whole we had a really nice relaxing holiday and will hopefully be returning next year possibly for 2 weeks as we enjoyed it and it was definately a family orientated place. I would also recomend travelling with Jet2 as they are the best and quickest tour operators we have ever travelled with which only made the holiday even better.

Room Tip: Choose a mountain view room if you have children as this side is quieter at night and has better vie...
New Forest
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We have just returned from staying here and we had a lovely time.

When we arrived we were welcomed by SUE who is brilliant!! she was very helpful and gave us all the info we needed.

We had a brilliant room, top floor number 531, we had amazing views out to see, the pool and even the nature reserve, we were very lucky. The rooms aren't massive but plenty big enough for the pair of us and we didnt go there to spend ages in the room.

The safe was a very useful thing to use and was good value. The tv had a couple of english channels which was ok.

The food was good. Now this is more of a comment on the English than the hotel food. The food they served was generally aimed at the English residents which was a great shame. I would love to have had more Spanish food as Spanish food is lovely. It is a shame that "the Brits" go on holiday to a foreign country and expect to be served our food. However the food was good and each night there was good food to eat and plenty of it. The staff in the restaurant were friendly and efficient.

The bar was good and you could help yourself to soft drinks, spanish beer, wines and hot drinks, Spirits were got from the bar by the friendly staff.

The pool was tidy and at the time we went there were plenty of loungers available. The only thing i would say is the pool is freezing!!! However why swim in a pool when you have the beach!

We would spend the day by the pool where you could relax with some music and then when the beach started to get less busy around 4 we went there and this has to be one of the best beaches i have ever been to. It is close by, only a few mins walk, the water is crystal clear and perfect for kids. The water is pretty shallow for a long way which is brilliant and the water is warm. you need to be nearly 100m out to see before i was up to my shoulders. I cant say enough haow good this beach was.

We went to on the East coast trio trip on the tuesday. This was an all day thing and had some good parts to it. Arta was a lovely town with its market on that day and well worth a visit. The visit to the Majorica pearls outlet was dissapointing. There wasnt an oyster in sight and they are man made and this was a gap filler. Porto Christo was lovely and would have liked more time there. The caves of drach were great to see but I didnt see the point in the music concert they did. The music was just plain weird and it didnt make sense. There is so much more they could do with it.
we then went to some liquer store on the way back. again a bit of a gap filler.

We went out for a nice walk every night and on the last night went to Topo Grigio for some food. This was a lovely meal and the effort they put into their food is top notch. It was pricey but thats what we wanted. The prawns we had were probably some of the best I have ever had.

I would say there was basically no entertainment at the hotel but then I wouldnt have gone to it anyway. However I would say it must be hard for the poor chap when no one gets involved.

I would say the beds were hard but thats not unusual in hotels i have stayed in abroad. it could be a bit noisey at nights and the sound of people DRAGGING their chairs about all night was getting a bit frustrating.

However I would say if you were a family this is a great hotel. If you are a couple and are prepared to leave the hotel and take advantage of the surroundings then it is great. If you just want to sit by the pool and be entertained you will be bored. but holidays are what you make of them.

a big thank you to all the staff, especially Sue, for a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: we had room 531 which i think is certainly the best room in the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Just returned from a 1 week all inclusive holiday, staff very friendly & helpful, rooms very clean & beds very comfortable. I requested extra pillows & no problem they were delivered with a smile. Pool area clean & pleasant, Plenty of choice of fresh food & more than enough choice of drinks hot cold & alcoholic " very generous measures" It would be better not to expect entertainment as this was terrible!!
We went out and tried other places in the evening and found a good choice locally, lots of choice of bars,shops & restaurants on the doorstep.
The hotel is located very close "say 100 yds" to a great golden beach. Lots of excursions available to book at reception. We went to the market one day on the bus" expect to be squashed on the bus" very good market. Went to the Pirates show that was also very good, What can I say we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday.
This hotel I would say is not suitable for romantic young couples more family hotel.

1 Thank Sheba261
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

staff are very friendly. there are a few down sides, walls are very thin! we arrived at the hotel at 5.30am and just wanted to fall asleep but all we could hear was next door snoring bad, which kept us awake. we were on the 2nd floor and all you can hear all day and night are chairs being pulled about from other rooms, even at 2am. bar closes at 12 and they chuck u out at 12 so you have no where to sit apart from the lobby after 12. you have to pay 50cent deposit for plastic cups for drinks. entertainment was very poor. we ended up going out every night. it said on the main bord by reception there was day time activities all day every day except sat. the first half of the week there was no one about doing any activities. it wasnt untill one bloke complained that entertainers appeared out of no where and started doing some activities and were being watched and marked for it. room was lovely and well cleaned. but recomend going to the swan british pub!! its amazing and the entertainment was amazing! oh and at the hotel they rip u off at bingo too. one family paid over 35 euro for their cards and then the rest of the hotel bought tickets at 5 euro each. the family won line and full house of the only game and all in all won 32 euro!!! didnt even win as much as they paid for the tickets! so they pocket most of the money. so dont recomend to play that!! yet at the swan its cheaper and you win all the money in the kitty.

Room Tip: higher up the better
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Las Gaviotas Suites Hotel
Las Gaviotas Suites Hotel
#2 of 30 in Playa de Muro
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,166 reviews

Been to Hotel Roc Continental Park? Share your experiences!