“Out of season bliss.”
Review of Viva Blue & Spa

Viva Blue & Spa
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Playa de Muro
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We've stayed twice in early spring.spotless apartment and accommodating staff.well worth paying the nominal €10 per night extra to have apt overlooking nature reserve. Very high standard accommodation and service.I can imagine it is an entirely different place in summer as it has 2 large swimming pools with pirate playground. Yikes!

Room Tip: Get a high floor over looking the nature reserve.well worth the token supplement
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Doogall
There are newer reviews for Viva Blue & Spa

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Nice hotel.

Facilities good. Nice outdoor pool, but not heated so end of season it was FREEZING. There was a life guy on duty all day as well. The kids pool is great, with a pirate ship slide and placed in the shade. Great in the high season, but again – FREEZING end of season.
Good playground which my little boy loved.

Indoor pool was good, but cool. The Jacuzzi was heated, but not very much. Small gym and sauna looked good but didn’t use them.

Disappointing was the activities at the end of season weren’t running. The last week of the hotel before closing and the kids club wasn’t doing anything more than a bit of colouring. As one other reviewer pointed out, the kids staff were being used to pack away stuff for the winter, which was a shame as they were good when they were entertaining the kids.

The hotel does bike hire, which is subbed out to Scott bike shop. The process is not as slick as the website suggests, and wasn’t ready for me on the morning pre-arranged but the reception staff sorted it out for me efficiently. As a seasoned cyclist I was happy with the bike provided and I would have been happy storing my own bike if I’d brought it out with me, in their excellent secure bike store.

Wi-Fi was free and available throughout the hotel.

Restaurants
Food was a buffet style service. Plenty of choice, quality was good. Service from the staff was very good. The bar area did food, and was again good serve and good food although a limited selection.

Rooms
Clean, comfortable. Again, as another reviewer pointed out – showing the wear and tear of the end of the season here and there but nothing that really mattered. i.e. the patio door needed a big effort to push it closed properly, and the odd knock and mark here and there.

Staff
Were all very helpful. Only issue as I said before, was the hotel was being packed away around us in the last week of the season.

General
Overall a good hotel. I would certainly stay there again. The main street through Muro is nothing to write home about, a string of the usual gift shops, Spar supermarkets and small bar/cafes. Just a short walk and you are onto the beach, which is kid friendly. Life guards on duty, shallow water for a long way out into the bay. To the rear of the hotel is a Wetland nature park, which is attractive but does have the dis-advantage of being a bug haven. Take your mosquito replant, it wasn’t horrendous for them, but got bit a few times.

Room Tip: Royal suites with the Jacuizzi looked good. Avoid the rooms nearest the kids playground and kids poo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank jonathan r
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Booked this hotel for an October half term 5 night visit. After trawling trip advisor reviews I was again thankful to the trip advisor community for helping me to find what should be a great hotel.

For those who want a review in a nutshell this is a great place with fantastic staff and a very good level of all inclusive drinks and food. Take mosquito spray as the nature park is marshland and home to some seriously hungry little critters! I would have no hesitation recommending it in the high season probably up until the week before we visited (last week in october, last week before it shut) and I would consider returning at a different time of year. If you are going out of high season BEWARE! You just may not get what you have paid for. I have to therefore review the hotel based on my own visit and this was (I had not realised or been informed previously) in the very last week of the hotel's season. This meant many facilities were shut or unavailable as they basically closed the hotel around us which was a great shame and the reason that I gave this hotel only 3 stars for this trip despite thinking it would be an easy 5* review when we arrived.

We booked direct with the hotel about 6 months before arriving which was all online and very easy. Hired a car in case October weather was variable and parking by the hotel was easy. Reception is big and airy, all public areas including the gardens were clean and tidy and well maintained and staff were friendly and helpful. There was what looked like a good shop in reception but it had shut for the end of season. Free laundry and dryers (spar a couple of minutes walk away for powder etc) was a nice touch and a small indoor pool and jacuzzi (both freezing) with sauna and gym were downstairs - only used the laundry which was very helpful!

Our room was a royal terrace apartment, a one bedroom apartment with double bed and two possible single sofa beds in sitting room. Also fridge and little kitchenette which was handy for keeping drinks cold. The apartment had the added bonus of stairs up to a roof terrace with views over the pool, to the sea over the road in front and the nature park behind (also large factory behind but far enough away and view was still lovely). The roof terrace had a hot tub, double sun bed and table and chairs so would have been great to relax on in the summer and we loved the jacuzzi and the sunshine up there, a real bonus if you can fork out the extra to upgrade. Rooms were looking a little end of season - two doors wouldn't shut properly without a hard shove, chips to the wood etc but that's being picky, I was pleased with the room, we had some wine and fruit on arrival which was a nice touch, shower gel dispenser in bathroom, hair dryer, comb, shower cap, sewing kit etc all the usual little bits. The cleaning was of a very high standard. Previous reviewers commented on the hard beds and thin walls, I didn't have any complaints although it was like a ghost hotel after our first day when everyone seemed to leave en masse and i could see the layout of the rooms did mean the central areas between rooms, whilst very attractive, had a big echo so any noise was amplified.

On all inclusive the first day we were there, the pool bar was open for any drinks and food, this closed that day though so we ate breakfast and dinner in the buffet restaurant and had lunch at the bar/terrace. The pool bar was a nice addition and although it was a shame it closed i can see why it made financial sense once the hotel quietened. The menu for all inclusive bistro lunch was huge (pizzas, salads, burgers, sandwiches, starters, meat skewers and a kids menu), whilst it was quite 'fast food' it did the job and the viva sandwich was delicious! Good wine choice on all inclusive too and branded drinks like sprite and coke as well as cocktails which was lovely (even a fruit juice 'mickey' cocktail for kids). Breakfast was a big buffet of fruit, breads, pastries, cooked food, pancakes and eggs to order etc. Dinner we were offered a la carte on one night but as this had to be taken in the bar which was empty and seemed to be basically the lunch menu with some steaks added on we opted to stick with the buffet restaurant which had more atmosphere. The waiting staff were amazing, they seemed to be there from dawn until dusk, always smiling and helpful. Youssef particularly was a star whilst we were there and took the time to search for the last remaining bottles of one of the wines we liked as they were running low on stocks, again due to it being their last week. Food at the buffet was as you would expect various meats and lovely fresh salads, including kids plates and cutlery which was really helpful alongside a kids buffet. pasta station was good, cooked to order with various sauces but buffet halved in size whilst we were there, and great touches like chocolate fountain and sweets at the dessert stand disappeared after one night, again, end of season. We ordered packed lunches one day (request before 8pm night before) which was bananas, sandwiches, water and a dry biscuit, nothing staggering but helpful and all we really needed and in a handy kit bag.

The pool areas were good, lots of sun beds, lots of pools, the water was so cold though I didn't get in and I am a pretty hardy swimmer, my daughter came out with chattering teeth after a quick swim but this is probably outside temperature and time of year related so I wouldn't hold that against the hotel! Shame they didn't then heat the little indoor pool either so just be aware of it at that time of year. Lifeguard on duty even when not a soul was around the pool 10-18 which was good, shame not enough other people working to do things like tip water off sun beds each morning so after some rain all the beds just stayed wet with big puddles on them all day. Pirate ship pool was good for children but shaded all day so again freezing although perfect for an escape from the summer sun I imagine. 18+ adult pool with jacuzzi' tucked away would have been a good spot for grown ups to relax, all the curtains around the beds had been taken down though so looked a bit bare. Yoga and spinning classes daily had obviously also stopped along with excursions and things like horse riding.

Our biggest disappointment was the kids club which could have been great, and the timetable looked varied and comprehensive - in high season I suppose. We only had t shirt painting and medal games on day one which were good fun but each lasted about 15-20 minutes then the staff had to pack away or clean up so children weren't entertained for long enough for parents to even read a chapter of a book! Staff informed us they had to clean the bar instead and spent time shutting the kids club, so then T shirts got packed away, then the mini club closed entirely and moved over into a table in the bar where they weren't allowed to use paints or glitter which had also been packed away. You guessed it, end of season. I'm not one for leaving my child in a kids club for hours on end, I like to spend time with her, but the occasional snooze on a sun bed nearby or read of a magazine is a holiday luxury! She was also disappointed too, all that was left in the end was 'Uno', some corrugated card to cut out (only orange or green, rest packed away) or blank sheets of paper - she can sit with some broken crayons anywhere, I don't expect that to be the only daily option from a paid for kids club. Playground and swings were good and there was an outdoor pitch where nightly football was advertised (but, and can you spot the theme here, it had finished for the season). Games area looked a little dishevelled but had ping pong and table football which we enjoyed for 10minutes one night. The staff for children depleted in number every day too so that in the end none of the scheduled events took place and even Bufo the only character we saw couldn't come to the kids evening mini disco as there weren't enough staff to run it. The mini disco was on at 8pm every night with the usual dance along songs which went down really well with the 8-10 children left. We didn't stay up for the adult singing duo or music quiz. After a comment from another parent a few paints and the end of the glitter appeared on our last day but no water was allowed so really it was a bit pointless. The entertainment staff mostly worked hard and when they had very short time with the children they seemed to make it fun but were just too busy packing up and seemed tired and end of season themselves, doing what I felt were jobs that should have been done after guests had gone not when we were still there.

So my advice? Of course being quiet had some advantages, it was peaceful, but the hotel wasn't even 1/4 full so mostly just felt like the day after the party; tired, a bit deflated with a few too many tumbleweed moments. If you are planning to go in summer I think this looks like it could be a great place with good range of food, nice surroundings, busy kids club (i would hope), and helpful staff, it was just really disappointing that when we went, despite paying full price, it seemed we were in the middle of a clean and pack up operation and that isn't a welcoming feeling. A great shame as I don't usually look forward to coming home but I did.
We did ask to speak to the manager to let him know our comments and he was pleasant and asked if there was anything he could do to improve things, short of unpacking the kids club and getting some staff back there wasn't. The final irony being how he emerged from the back dressed casually in his jeans - it seemed he too was - you guessed it - packing away for the end of season!!

Room Tip: Royal terrace apartments with own jacuzzi lovely for a treat. If you go for a garden take the mozzy...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank filly21
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We spent the last week of September at Viva Blue. I chose the hotel based on the reviews and we didn't regret it! The apartment was well appointed, the little garden lovely with two deck chairs catching the evening sun. The beds were very uncomfortable, but that's the only fault we could find to the apartment.
The playground is amazing and our 4 year old had a blast. The pools were quite cold so we went to the beach ( beautiful and shallow water) every day.
We were on a half board basis and enjoyed the food a lot. We are quite picky and food is important to us, so we were happy to see that reviews were right: fresh buffet, large selection, well prepared dishes, including for kids. We were relieved that our daughter didn't have to eat pasta or chicken nuggets for a week...
The mini disco was a big hit, hugely popular with the 50 or so kids showing up every evening.

One day we rented bikes (already mounted with a child seat) to explore the area. Very handy to rent them directly from the reception. We also rented a car from an agency down the street to visit the island, which we recommend since the Alcudia coast is not very pretty (with the exception of Alcudia, a lovely old fortified town).
One thing often mentioned is mosquitoes. They are fierce. So pack a serious repellent as they eat you alive and leave huge marks.

In short, it was a great holiday and we would happily go back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Ellay17
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Spent 15 days at Viva Blue and can honestly say it was brilliant.

Reception was immaculate. There's a supermarket on site which sells everything you would expect at a reasonable price.

The rooms were cleaned 5 out of 7 days per week. Big spacious accomodation with a living room, small kitchenette area, bedroom, wash basin area and seperate toilet and shower area. I've read some reviews saying the beds were uncomfy but to be honest I found them just fine. Some folk expect king size beds with memory foam matresses and even then they would moan. The balcony was also a generous size and had a table with three chairs and a drying rack for your clothes.

The pools and garden area were well maintained and throughly enjoyable. There were plenty of beds available although I would suggest we visited at the end of the season so the hotel was at about 60% capacity.

In the reception there is a downstairs area with a gym, jacuzzi, indoor pool, sauna and laundry room. All free of charge to use.

The staff were polite and attentive. They were kind enough to book our excursions for us and print out our boarding passes for the return flight. Cannot fault them at all.

We weren't All Inclusive so I can't comment on any of the food as we ate out all the time. There was a sign outside the restaurant which had breakfast priced at 15 Euros per person but we went round the corner and got two breakfasts and two drinks for 12 Euros.

The safe cost 38 Euros for 14 days and the air conditioning was free of charge.

The hotel is ideal for families with young kids. We travelled as a couple but this hotel will be a top contender for a return visit regardless.

There is an abundance of shops and places to eat within a 5 minute walk (Steakhouses, Indian, Chinese and even a Burger King). The both of us ate a two course meal with soft drinks for between 35-50 Euros including tips.

Room Tip: We were in Block 4 which was the furthest away. Block 1 and 2 would be a good place to have a room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank YoungTGGlasgow
Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

My wife, 16 mth daughter and I stayed here for a week in October. The apartment was clean and well equipped with a lovely view from a balcony. The beds were the only fault in the room as it was like sleeping on a park bench!! Rooms were quite noisy at night and during the day when our daughter needed to sleep. Location not great as there isn't very much outside of the hotel, but fine If all you want is pool side. Food in the main restaurant is fantastic, loads of choice of fesh salad seafood and lots for our daughter too. We opted for all inclusive which we feel puts you on a disadvantage - staff appear to actively avoid you, staff did not once ask if we would like a further drink!! And when you did ask, they rolled their eyes!! And we felt quite awkward about this. We were not drinking lots and never during the day like others, the hotel lets it's self down with regard to its attitude towards all inclusive guests. Other guests were mostly German and eastern Europeans.

In a nut shell not a bad hotel, some clear customer service issues, was it worth the money? I guess so.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Visited Viva Blue mid Sept after not having a holiday for 5 yrs, so I did plenty of research prior on Trip advisor and all the fab comments this hotel already has, did not dissapoint !! Taking our 2yr old twins,myself and my hubby. I emailed the hotel prior to arrival to request a ground floor room as I did not want to carry a double buggy up flights of stairs, this request was acknowledged as soon as we checked in with our names at reception, to which i was very pleased at. We were situated in BLK 4 with a room view of the kids pool with a giant pirate ship !! (was anxious of noise at first, but the double glazed sliding doors kept out noise during the babies nap times in the day !) Room spacious, immaculatley clean and towels changed 5 times a week. Toilet had a bath with power shower and bidet. There is also a hairdryer for us ladies ! We went all-inclusive but there was a small kitchenette which seemed well equiped for those that go self catering (handy to know for next time we visit !) Grounds and gardens kept mowed and trimmed well and everyone seemed to be cleaning and maintaing the hotel constantly. All inclusive drinks included named brands 'Jack Daniels'/'Baileys' etc and plenty of cocktails to choose from !! The buffett food was plentyfull, lots of choice and different meals every night. Kids had pizza,nuggets, salad and chips and plenty of chocolate ice cream kept them quiet !! Staff all polite and smiled. Hotel full of Germans and French but they all seemed very polite, think we saw 1 other english couple whom mentioned the same comment about not many english (maybe the time of year we stayed) not that this was a problem. Pool a little on the cold side but the weather that week was 30 degrees every day and was glorious !! Plenty of shade umbrellas to sit under. Twins loved the playground with football court and trampoline in the kids area. The kids entertainers seemed to work there socks off every day and night (seemed to put in a lot of hours !) Night entertaintment started with the kids singing and dancing from 7pm-8;30pm and then the familes with kids seemed to disperse and then they had tribute nights (Maddonna, Michael Buble, Elton John .. etc) I purposly booked the hotel mid Sept after the kids went back to school so it would not be really busy, I personally would not like to stay in June/July (peak) as i think getting served food/drinks and the shear stream of people would drive me a bit mad, it was busy but not over crowded for this time of year. On a hole this hotel complex is worth every one of it's 4 stars in my opion and seems the same for the majority of everyone else that has stayed here. Well done Viva Blue !!!

Room Tip: BLK 4 is overlooked to the kids pirate ship.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
PortBlue Club Pollentia Resort & Spa
IBEROSTAR Albufera Playa
IBEROSTAR Albufera Playa
#3 of 30 in Playa de Muro

Been to Viva Blue & Spa? Share your experiences!