“Dream family holiday with friendly and excellent service in a well-equipped all-inclusive hotel!”
Review of Viva Blue & Spa

Viva Blue & Spa
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Playa de Muro
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We have just returned from a wonderful, week long family holiday at this fantastic hotel (beginning of August 2012) on an all-inclusive board basis. We have two young children (ages 3 and 5 years) who were spoilt for choice of wonderful things to do! There were a few English guests, but mostly Scandanavian. Everyone seemed fairly friendly in general. The grounds were spotlessly clean and well-kept.
LOCATION: Transfer time from Palma airport was 45 minutes by private taxi (about 1 hour by bus). Playa de Muro beach was about a 5 minute walk across the main road opposite. Nice sandy beach with shallow warm sea for the children - fairly clean. A few beach-touts selling their wares, but took 'no' for an answer and didn't hassle us. A few tourist-tat shops and restuarants, but nothing special (other than one morning at the beach) to draw us away from the lovely hotels grounds and facilities.
ROOMS: When booking, we requested a ground floor room (due to having young children) and were told that this could not be guaranteed unless we paid for a Premium Room (the rooms with the garden and sun loungers which are at extra cost). When we arrived, we were given a first floor room, but were quickly changed after explaining our initial request but only because a standard ground floor room was available. The standard ground floor rooms do not all have gardens, only a balcony area with a small plastic table and chairs. We were in a corner room 4016 which, whilst in a convenient location for having children (i.e. close to the playground area and splash pool) was fairly noisy with through-traffic as it is at the bottom of a flight of stairs. Not very sound-proofed rooms - lots of noise from other rooms could be heard. The rooms themselves were clean and spacious enough and included a small kitchenette (bring some little milk pots/powdered milk for tea/coffee, if you want some in your room and don't want to carry it from the bar). The children slept in the main bedroom (bed-guard hire would be a good idea) and we were in the lounge (in separate beds that were rather small in length and width). The rooms were air-conditioned once patio doors were fully closed, but fairly basic (my husband, who stays in lots of hotels on business, felt is was more 3* than 4*) with limited English tv channels (not that we stayed in the rooms for long during the day). Rooms were cleaned daily (except for two days of our week long stay, as advised on the maid's notice). Deposit required for use of safe and pool towels. WARNING: Pool towels were removed from sun loungers if left for longer than 40 minutes, so keep an eye on the time when you go for breakfast/lunch (mostly applied to early morning/breakfast though). A good idea, but I feel should be extended to one hour to allow for a more leisurely meal - especially with young kids in tow.
FACILITIES:
The hotel facilities were hard to beat! Something for everyone. There are about 3 large family POOLS of varying depths (with daily pool-volley games and aqua aerobic sessions), a jacuzzi pool and a large children's splash pool for younger children.
The children's SPLASH POOL is next to the Pool Bar/Restaurant (possible to have a drink whilst watching little ones continue safely in the shallow pool) and there is a row of sun beds and benches next to this pool for parents. The splash pool has a large pirate ships with 4 slides, a smaller 'frog' slide/fountain and a tunnel slide with a large bucket of water hanging above it that empties every couple of minutes. The splash pool came up to my knees at it's deepest point. Children were allowed to bring toys/inflatables/dingy boats in too. There is also an
ADULT POOL 'Over 18' secluded pool area with about 20 or so cabanna-style, four-poster double bed sun loungers and a lovely clean swimming pool with two jacuzzis. Very luxurious. This was a very calm and peaceful area with no diving and was regularly 'policed' for any under-18 year olds that may have snuck in (usually with their parent's knowledge!) and were told to leave. There were always spare beds and I was able to swim some lengths in this pool, as the other pools were too busy.
POOL BAR/Restaurant: Attentive waiters serve a great choice of lunches (omlettes, pizza, toasted sandwiches, hot dogs, chips, chicken nuggets etc) and drinks (coffees, cocktails etc) from about 10am until about 4pm. You are able to get unlimited chilled bottles of water and the kids can serve themselves with a Mr Whippy-style ice cream machine and a choice of lollies. There is also a small fenced-off toddler play area within this pool bar. The only negative for me was that there was no 'non-smoking' area (same with the pool side area).
TEX/MEX RESTAURANT: Another option for lunch or dinner with great tex/mex food and a large screen tv in the indoor section (usually showing sports). This also overlooks the ENTERTAINMENT AREA/STAGE which holds aerobic classes in the morning and live entertainment (kids disco, meeting BUFO, Catty and Spark kids club characters, magician/clown show, adult entertainment with dancers/singers and one night of karokee). The children are invited to sit together on little chairs at the front of the stage or play in the magically flood-lit surrounding gardens and are included for the whole night. There is a popcorn machine which was popular with the kids (2 euros per box) whilst the adults enjoyed cocktails served to your table. Entertainment usually wound down at around 11pm most nights and we never witnessed any anti-social behaviour during our whole stay.
SELF-SERVICE RESTAURANT: This was the main place to eat breakfast and dinner and there was also a great selection of fresh food, with something different each day. The food couldn't be faulted and the service was excellent. Plastic cutlery, cups and plates/bowls and colouring sheets were provided for the children too. There was a small outdoor seating area, but we found it too hot (and were joined by ants!) and prefered the air-conditioned indoors. A person dressed up as a teddy bear visited briefly each morning during breakfast to see the kids.
Next to the relaxing and clean RECEPTION area was a small SHOP, selling the basics and inflatables for the kids (a small dingy boat cost 8 euros). There are sofas to use for the best free wi-fi access and below Reception there was a small indoor pool, jacuzzi, sauna and gym and a Launderette. The internet access grew weaker the further away you were from the Reception wi-fi hot spot.
PLAYGROUND AREA: Located behind the splash pool/pool bar there are a couple of good climbing frames, slides, swings and a flush-with-floor level trampoline. There is also a bouncy castle and arcade area (inc table tennis, table football, snooker etc) and a tennis/football pitch enclosed behind this. The KIDS CLUB is located next to the playground area and operates from about 10am (when they do t-shirt painting) until early afternoon. The staff spoke in different languages and catered for small groups of children well, providing different things to do each day. When booking, we read that the Mini Club catered for children aged 3 years to 5 years. However, we were then told that we would have to stay with our youngest, as only children aged 4 years and over could stay un-accompanied. Fortunately, there was so much else to do/great pools, that this was not too much of a disappointment. Whilst the kids club would have provided a good rest from the hot sun, I think that I would have struggled to tear them away from the splash pool in any event! But this was a shame from an adult point of view, as it would have been nice to have enjoyed the OVER-18 POOL AREA together, rather than taking it in turns! There's always next year...

Room Tip: I would pay extra for a ground floor Premium Room (with a garden) next time, but our room location w...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Allthekingsmen_12

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Excellent service, great food, your children will love it!!!

95% of the guests were families (mainly German, Scandinavian, few English), so if you are traveling as a couple or looking for party - most likely this is not the place to be.

PROS:
+ Well equipped playground in the shade
+ Pool including pirate ship with slides - although most often we (13-months old son) used the round children's pool under a huge umbrella
+ 3 minutes walk across the street to the best beach in Mallorca (from Alcudia to C'an Picafort). Lifeguard on duty, very shallow for at least 40 meters
+ refurbished apartments in 2012
+ Oasis Chill Out Pool (adults only) - tranquility and a nice getaway
+ backside of the hotel faces the national park, a nice scenery - and quiet away from the stage (shows finish at 10 PM). We could not dream about paying extra for pool-view!
+ All-inclusive can be bought at the hotel for 50 Euro/day and cheaper if you are on half-board already

CONS:
- 4 Euro/day for baby bed
- Car rental on main street is much cheaper than the company, which the hotel recommends. Starting price including insurance 25 vs 42 Euro/day (June 2012).
- No restaurant serves food between 4 and 6 PM
- most sun beds were reserved, but it was always possible to find a sun bed or two when we came to the pool.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank DanMarker
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Just got back from an excellent family holiday at Viva Blue, we were there from 19th-29th May. I was travelling with my husband and our children aged 3yrs and 6 months. If you are looking for a family friendly holiday with lots for the children to do then look no further, you have found it! I know it's so hard to find the right holiday, I myself spend ages researching as I want to get it just right. This holiday did not let me down, there was so much for my 3 year old to do, everyday there is a timetable of activities for the little ones, including t-shirt painting, games, crafts, mini disco, pony riding etc. Next to the kids club there is a small park with a see-saw, swings, trampoline, climbing frame etc and next to this is the pirate ship splash pool. Then of course you have the big swimming pool which also has a shallow end for little ones. The kids club is excellent and the team there are very friendly and good with the children. I didn't leave mine but you can sign them in for the morning session from 10-1 so you can have some time alone. There was also activities everyday for adults including spinning, water aerobics, football, tennis etc. My husband played football everyday at 4pm and really enjoyed it, I tried out spinning a couple of times and the water aerobics. Every night at 8pm there is a mini disco for the children and evening entertainment for the adults at 9pm (normally tribute acts-these were of varying quality!) The children are encouraged to stick around though as they put out little chairs for them and one of the kids club team do face painting or balloon animals during the show.
Our room was basic as we couldn't afford one of the newly decorated ones but it was clean and functional, although I was glad to get home to my own bed! The room had a little kitchenette area with fridge, hobs, microwave and kettle, cutlery, glasses etc. There was a TV but this only had Spanish and some German channels. We had a balcony overlooking the pool area and this was lovely. The maid was also really good and whenever she cleaned our room she always folded the sheets down in a different way, arranged my liitle girls teddies and even folded our pyjamas!
The food was a highlight of the holiday we went half board and as a vegetarian I never eat that well in Spain I dont think they have many veggies over there. However I was pleasantly surprised with the food. It was very fresh with at least 3 vegetarian options, there was a salad bar, rice dishes and each night there was a different theme. I have to say I have never eaten so well in Spain. I dont know if it would have been worth our while to go all inclusive, I probably would have put on another stone if we had, I guess it depends how much you want to eat and how much alcohol you'll be drinking as a large beer is 4euros and a gin and tonic is 4.50 euros.
The area outside of the hotel is fine, kind of what you expect, the same old shops selling the same old things, a Spar every 2 minutes etc. The beach is over a busy road but once there it is beautiful. We didn't go on many trips because there was so much to do at the hotel and because of having 2 small children but we went to the village of Alcudia which was a 45 minute walk and an 11euro cab ride back, which was very traditional and there is a market on Tuesdays and Sundays I think. Also might be worth mentioning the airport taxi ride is 75 Euros as is opposite side of the island to Playa Muro.
The hotel was mainly Scandinavians and Germans but we didn't mind this, it was quite nice to mix with different people, plus everyone speaks English anyway, the only thing was it was harder for my little girl to make friends as it was just smiling and hand gestures! She did end up playing with a little Swedish girl and they got on great without talking! Maybe if your kids are older though this would be more of a problem?
Overall this was a fab holiday, only negatives...grumpy reception sometimes, cut my foot in the pool on some sharp tiles but they were aware of the problem and were dealing with it, water in the pool a bit cold. We would definitely come here again in the future and I have already recommended it to my friends.

9  Thank Slaneruk
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Just back from a week at Viva Blue and had a great time - travelling as a family with 2 adults, a 3yr old and a 10 month old baby. The hotel complex is very clean and nicely decorated etc which makes it feel better than your average holiday hotel. It was still fairly off season when we were there in Mid May so I'd say it was only maybe 20% full or so, so no problems with pool loungers, bar seating etc.

We stayed in a Royal terrace apartment which I think is a standard premium room, but with stairs from the living room up to a roof terrace which is the same size again as the whole apartment and was excellent. It had comfy seating, loungers and a hot tub and looked out both to the pool area, and the nature reserve at the back. It was a great area for our breakfast (we weren't all inclusive), and sometimes lunch, and the hot tub was great as we found the swimming pools were still a bit cold due to the time of year.

The kids pool was great with quite a few slides (but a bit cold), but the only drawback was a large bucket above some of the slides which filled up with water and tipped out everywhere every couple of minutes with no warning which seemed to put most of the kids off going into the pool - we did ask, but apparently it couldn't be switched off.

Our Daughter loved the Bufo club and especially liked face painting in the afternoons and the minidisco which had a mix of german and english songs for the kids to dance to. The kids club staff were great and very welcoming.

The hotel itself is set back a bit from the main road and it's not too far a walk to the main street with several restaurants all serving the usual sort of holiday food - most seemed to have some form of things to keep kids activities from bouncy castles to playhouses etc. The best food we had was probably at a place called La Isla (?) but it did take a while to come.

Overall it was just what we'd wanted and what we expected from the reviews we'd read - a good mix of different nationalities, and good standard of hotel and facilities to keep the kids amused. Would certainly go back, or even try a royal terrace apartment at one of the other viva hotels.

Room Tip: Royal terrace apartments are very nice and worth it if you want a nice quiet, comfortable and privat...
8  Thank AMSCSS
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Fab hotel if you don't need to leave it.
- Lovely comfy beds with duvets, bathroom & kitchen still needs updating.
- Pool area great and lifeguard on duty all the time we were there.
- Beach was like being in paradise and it's only a 5min walk from the hotel.
- Hotel restaurant we ate in on the last night, great selection of food for adults and kids.
- Staff were all lovely, helpful and friendly. Bufo Club was terrific my two had a great time.

Outside the hotel lots of restaurants if you're walking towards Alcudia. The ones we tried
S'albufera, Boy,Topo Gigio & Dakota all average and a little pricey. The best one had be Sa Romana near old town Alcudia €11 taxi ride, 3 course was €28 and this included wine. They also have a large play area for children - http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g1233772-d1425944-Reviews-SA_Romana-Alcudia_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html

There seem to be a lot of Spar shops every 2mins there was another one and they're pricey too. Lots of souvenir shops all selling the same stuff. There was one very fancy boulevard shop if left the hotel from the back exit. http://www.vossshops.com/morethanshops/index-en.html - needs lots of money to shop here though.

Room Tip: Rooms; unfortunately they have paper tin walls and you can hear all the little noises from neighbori...
4  Thank LOU26
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We just got back from this fantastic hotel. It was me and my husband and our 3 year old daughter travelling. We arrived around midnight and the hotel restaurant was closed however the staff made us a selection of salads and cold meats which was very welcoming.
Hotel has brilliant facilities, beautiful pools, comfortable sitting areas and very good kids club. Everything that can be done has been done to make a family stay perfect. As a bonus they have adults only pool which is perfect place to relax with a good book when daddy was on duty! Restaurants have kids cutlery, plates and bowls. Kids evening entertainment was very good and every child felt special and well looked after.
We stayed in a basic apartment which was comfortable if a bit basic..I personally prefer duvets over blankets. But it was spacious (with separate bedroom) and very large family bathroom with walk in shower and bath. it was cleaned daily and it was in very good condition.
We stayed all inclusive and I would like to say it was very good value. Fantastic quality food and good selection. They do take away service which is fantastic if your little one is asleep. They also offer to do you a packed lunch if you are going out for the day.
Area is perfect for families. not a single drunken hen or stag party in sight!
Beach is beautiful, safe and only across the road. The natural park is a short bike away and definitely worth a visit.
The hotel rents out bikes (€4 an hour or €8 for 4 hours) that come with child seat.
Staff are the real stars of this hotel, every single one of them, always there to help, very friendly and made us feel very welcome.
We will definitely return and I recommend this hotel to all families.

5  Thank FinntravellerKent
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Stayed in April family with 7 year old and 1 1/2 year old. The Kids Club was the best part of the trip. The team was amazing, friendly, energetic, and made each activity rememberable. Regardless if only one child was in there or 10 the team gave its best performance. My oldest made so many friends. It was very cool to see him interact with the other kids who didnt speak English and using gestures to play a game or meet up at the pool. They were so good my oldest did not want to leave the resort and venture out. The mini disco was great. The adult entertainmnet was throughly enjoyed. I love music and dancing so watching a different theme each night was great.
The kids enjoyed the play area. It was too cold for the kids to enjoy the wonderful pirate ship and spacious pool. But the indoor pool was a nice size. I enjoyed reading a book on the lounge chairs or sitting in the jacuzzi .
The food was great. There was a wide selection of choices especially for the kids. Highly recommend all inclusive package. I didnt have to worry about dinning or budget. Food, snacks, and alcholic beverages was included and plentiful. They even pack a lunch for you if you plan to venture out. Staff was very friendly and very helpful.
We stayed in apartment priveldge with garden on the first floor. Gave up a view but it was worth it for the extra space and outside area for kids to run around. Spacious baby bed and bedding free. Grateful for the free laundry room. The store located inside the hotel had everything needed for the baby. Diapers, swimmers,wipes, formula, and food. There was also various of foods, drinks, and other items. There are other stores about 5-10 minute walk but not that much of a price difference.
We were the only Americans there and it was actually nice to be surrounded by so many different languages of Spanish, German, and French. The satff spoke very good English.
The beach is across the street not even a 5 min walk. Very clean beach not crowded and didnt see any nudity.
Taxi service was cheap. The hotel can call one for you when you are ready to venture out. About 70 euros from and to airport.
The hotel had several trip excursions available. We did the Pirate Show and it is a must see. Paying extra for better seats was worth it. We did the Marineland and children enjoyed the dolphin and sealion shows. Visited Alcudia and enjoyed walking through the castle/village. I think the area is mostly for bikers, hikers of the such. There are many trails.
Overall it was a plesant experience. Would have been fantastic if weather was better but cant blame hotel on that. It is not fast pace nor that lively. But that was perfect for us because with kids we didnt want anything that gets rowdy and we really just wanted to relax on this vacation.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
#3 of 30 in Playa de Muro
Iberostar Alcudia Park
Iberostar Alcudia Park
#9 of 30 in Playa de Muro

Been to Viva Blue & Spa? Share your experiences!