“Lovely hotel...”

Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Playa de Muro
Heidelberg
“Lovely hotel...”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Overall impression was great! Took out two boys and friend to Mallorca over the long weekend and spent the whole time here in the Playa Esperanza Suites. The facilities are quite large with a hotel, suite and apartment section. There is easy access to the beach and the grounds are maintained to perfection. The staff was very friendly and always helpful. A man at the front desk loaned my husband his own personal umbrella so that he could walk to the car rental space down the road and one of the head chefs noticed my son standing around forlorn that the donuts were all gone and quickly remedied the situation. It was far too chilly to swim outside however we did utilize the inside pool and often walked to the beach to just enjoy the area.
We had the 1/2 pension, which included breakfast and dinner. We all thought breakfast was very well done. There was plenty of seating and drinks were included. The wait staff kept everything very orderly and were quick to respond if you needed something. Dinner was okay. Everyone found something they enjoyed, but I didn't go back for seconds of anything. I haven't had much luck with actual Spanish dishes (minus the tapas) so it could be just my opinion. The only thing I didn't like was that you had to pay for drinks at dinner. All drinks! Even water! I believe water should be available free of charge and then they can add a surcharge for soda and alcohol. Also there was a dress code for dinner and although it wasn't strict, I wasn't a huge fan. Maybe I'm just too independent... ;)
The rooms were lovely, although we had to wait until after lunch to check in upon arrival. Large, with tons of space, a lovely balcony and newly decorated. It was almost always quiet and you could hear the ocean while you slept at night. My only concerns with the rooms are that the newly laminated floors are bubbling up, probably from too much moisture. Hopefully it doesn't cause the hotel any problems in the future.
All of us really enjoyed our stay and felt very welcome amongst the hotel staff. It really is a lovely resort and I would highly recommend it! Oh...one more note - if you use the spa for a pedicure be prepared for power tools! It can get quiet scary! LOL!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pharlap31
esperanzahoteles, Director of Sales at Hotel Playa Esperanza, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Thanks for taking your time to put on writing your opinion.
If you had a good experience with us that is the best reward we can get.
We will be pleased to welcome you again in Esperanza Hoteles.

Gracias,
Team Esperanza Hoteles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed for just one night here but very impressed. Nice pleasant room with a side view of the ocean. Overlooked gardens of a neighbouring hotel and was very quiet. Do not usually eat buffet meals in hotels but as I was booked in half board I felt obliged to have my evening meal there.
So glad I did. The food was very high quality, plentiful and the hot food was actually hot without being dried out. This is because it was replenished in small quantities and often. The fish, plaice and sole, was cooked in the restaurant so was always "freshly cooked". Breakfast was also very good and plentiful.
The reception staff I found to be very pleasant and helpful, and they all spoke spanish, german and english. Very impressed!
Had a quick walk around the gardens which are lovely with plenty of sun loungers.
Would certainly be happy to return for a longer stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank awayagainBen
esperanzahoteles, Director of Sales at Hotel Playa Esperanza, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks a lot for your visit and for the time you took to write your comments about us. We really feel satisfied that you enjoyed your stay in our Hotel and our dinner and breakfast buffet.

We hope to welcome you again.

Thanks,
Penang, Malaysia
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is our 3rd time in the hotel Playa Esperanza and again it didn't disappoint. The service, staff, cleanliness and food are still excellent just as it has always been.

The beach is amazing albeit very busy. There's plenty of room for all to sunbathe in the grounds of the hotel whether you want sun or shade if you so choose.

The only disappointment for us is that they don't provide tea/coffee facilities in the room. In saying that it wasn't a problem this time, because the hotel caters so much for the disabled, we hired a kettle and iron from Easy Rider Mobility Hire, who were very friendly, reliable, and efficient with their delivery, (phone number from reception). We'll be back again next year!

Room Tip: We had a Superior Sea View room facing the right hand side of the sea. It had the sun for most of t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank 44bas
Dear Guests,

It is nice to see that after your 3rd. visit you are not fed up with us and our resort.

We try to offer the best possible service, and we are sorry we don't provide with tea or coffee facilities in the room.

Hope to have you as our guests for many, many more years.

Gracias!
Chicago
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The breakfast was buffet was amazing, don't miss it. We just walked in there and didn't pay anything. Very nice hotel, the pool isn't heated but it's right on a beautiful beach. There is a small indoor pool with a very tiny jacuzzi and a large outdoor pool. I believe all the rooms have balconies but there didn't seem to be any Wifi in the room, only in the lobby. This place is filled with older German couples for some reason, it reminded me of the best exotic marigold hotel. There is a large free parking lot and it's right across the street from a big supermarket and the town is nearby, which offers lots of tourist shopping and nice restaurants. A+

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ryan S
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for all your comments. They will all help us to improve our service and mend our mistakes.

For your information Wi-Fi is available in all rooms (with charge), but as you mention in the lobby there's for free.

We're really glad to know you enjoyed the stay and the buffet in our hotel and we would very pleased to welcome you back again in the near future.

Hasta pronto!
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I (male, 46) spent one week with my 3-year-old daughter in August 2012. On the positive side, the hotel is located directly by the beautiful beach, Playa de Muro, and you can hear the waves breaking at night. The beach - although full - is clean and pleasant to walk along, the water is also very clean. From this perspective, the hotel offers a perfect starting point for a great beach vacation.
On the negative side, the standard is 3* at best, for the following reasons: small rooms (we had a double room), half of the rooms face the loud pool area and you need to like loud and cheap animation until 23:00 at night to survive this (the noise is very loud even with doors shut). Because my daughter was taken ill with gastroenteritis (not sure whether it was the food or the pool where she caught it), I asked for a switch of rooms to the more quiet north side, which was promised for the next day. I was told I should not come before 13:30, because check-out is at 12 and the rooms need to be cleaned. I showed up at the reception next day at 14:00 and was told my new room had now been given away because I had not shown up at 13:30. The staff was rude and the whole scene was outrageous - I had been to the reception 3 times in advance to make sure this change of rooms works out. I then managed to negotiate a new room for the next day, which worked out. The room to the north side was much quieter and also nicer - with the exception of strong fish odours from the kitchen between 19 and 23 in the evening. So nothing for a weak stomach ..!
The hotel's amenities include buffet breakfast and dinner. The breakfast was OK - except for the fact that you have to arrange for your own coffee from a machine with a long queue, the coffee itself tasted like dish water. But the pancakes were good. In the evening, we were offered a nice table outside and our waiter was very friendly. He made every effort to be helpful and it was not his fault that my daughter did not touch any of the food during the whole week regardless of what I offered her. This was in marked contrast to the amazing amounts of food which the average tourist managed to force into his oversized gut. Luckily, there is a number of supermarkets just across the road and you are allowed to bring food and drink into the hotel room (the receptionists actually encourage you to do this ..).
When my daughter suffered from her stomach problems, I asked the reception where the next open pharmacy is located and was told that this is about 800 meters down the road on the left. I did not trust this information and ordered a taxi - and as suspected, the next open pharmacy was about 5 miles away. Lucky I did not drag my sick daughter down the road as recommended by the hotel.
The other guests were generally friendly and pleasant - only two Russians, mainly German families and Spanish. It is always impressive to see how polite Germans remain even in the face of blatant rudeness from the staff, but they must be used to it.
In summary, the hotel is probably recommendable off-season due to its closeness to the beach - as long as you do not expect any kind of service and are prepared to pay more than you get, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: north side (loud animation until 23:00 on the pool side !)
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Gerd K
Dear Guest,

We feel very sorry for you not having enjoyed your stay with us. This is what we can understand after reading your comments, which we really accept and will use to mend errors and improve our service.

Among all what you write, that we respect and thank you for taking the time to inform us, there is a comment that affects other guests who, honestly, enjoy their holidays with our staff, year after year, and sometimes, more than once a year.

Every day we try our best to satisfy our guests and we will keep on doing it.

Thanks again
Market Harborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

The hotel has a great beachside location and our room had a side sea view and pool view which was nice and there was plenty of choice at breakfast....However, the hotel (with the exception of the breakfast room) needs a major refurishment!! The outside of the hotel is covered in overhanging weeds; the reception area and lobby is dated and the rooms are set in the 80s!! playa de muro is also full of cheap restaurants and tacky souvenir shops!!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Nicola P
esperanzahoteles, Director of Sales at Hotel Playa Esperanza, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write and to share your experience. Your opinion will help us to face the future with more information in order to improve service and premises.

We are glad that some aspects of your stay were positive.

Thanks very much
Belgium
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Just back from a few nights' stay in August-September 2012. I find it impossible to understand how this hotel gets positive reviews in TripAdvisor and elsewhere. Perhaps it was a decent hotel two decades ago (they have some tour operators' prizes and distinctions in the lobby, but they are from 1997, 1998, 1999, and then nothing). Today it is a depressing thing, you never feel that you are in a four-star property. It is a poor hotel in a tacky complex, catering almost exclusively for German tour operators.

The hotel has a swimming pool, many loungers and direct access to the beach (in fact, it is on the beach), which is OK if you don't mind that the sights on both sides of the hotel are dominated by the chimneys of a huge factory and a huge power station nearby; some staff were pleasant and polite...and that's about all the positives.

The rest are negatives:
- rooms are on the small side, and very dated. The hotel is clearly aged. Carpets are peeled off, curtains are old and dirty, furniture looks 30 years old.
- very old bed sheets and a pillow cover that was too short to hide the disgusting, dirty pillow underneath;
- very small bathroom; we were shown two rooms, in one of them there were ants crawling in the washbasin.
- tiny balcony with no privacy;
- old and dangerous (cement) tennis court, slippery with moss; tacky that they make you pay for it in advance, and only cash is accepted;
- some unpleasant staff. I am not fond of automatic coffee machines, so I requested a different coffee, like the one I had seen in other tables; the breakfast waitress resisted my request, tried to convince me that the other coffee was "worse" and when she finally accepted to bring it, explained that "we have if for annoying customers like you". The next day, the same person asked whether we minded sharing our breakfast table with another couple; when we declined, she told us that it was "against the rules" that we would not agree to share (because our table was a 4-seater and we were two; mind you, they were plenty of empty tables around). This is just not expected in a four-star.
- you are treated like cattle (see above);
- the surroundings of the hotel are a tacky tourist trap, miles of souvenir and liquor shops, burger joints and car rental places.

My summary: I would avoid this hotel. I can't understand its rating on TripAdvisor; objectively, this is not a recommendable place.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank AlPanPan
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to write your comments.

We do regret very much that you did not find the place the way you expected and we really apologize to you for not having fulfilled your expectations.

These comments will help us to improve our premises, service and attitude for the future.

Kind regards,