This was not a cheap holiday (£1,900 for one week for two people, off season) so I was rather expecting a little more - what? Cannot pinpoint it exactly, but the holiday was not quite up to what I was hoping for. For a start there is no Thomas Cook Rep on site at all, you are given a piece of paper on the coach stating how to contact by phone or e mail if anything needed, even to finding out about collection time for flight home, which cannot be done until 24 hours before due day. This proved difficult - lines permanently engaged, so in the end asked reception staff to do it for us. Good job we did not want to go on any trips! No idea how that could be arranged.
Not all the hotel and its facilities are for the All Inclusive (Beach bar - drinks 'free' but food to be paid for), top brands of brandy etc are available, but extra to be paid, so mind you do not receive a bill at the end of your stay for ordering something you should not have done!
White wine (on tap, as were lager, red wine and soft drinks) is very drinkable, and the Cava very nice. House brandy not so good.
Having paid almost £1,000 per person, I was very surprised at the cost of hiring a safe for the week - £16.90 euros plus 5 euros deposit, and beach towels were 10 euros each deposit - so make sure you have some cash available at book in!
FOOD - plentiful, I do give credit there, but rather 'samey' each day, very little variation in selections at all, and the hot food most certainly was never hot, merely lukewarm, even if you got there at opening times. Bacon in the morning not very nice - streaky cut in half to make small slivers and very greasy. Omelettes pre-cooked and looking more like a flat pancake, sitting on a hot plate in piles and were mostly always cold.
SUN LOUNGERS - seem to be plenty around, and no-one made a rush to reserve their special seats. However, they are SO close together, (no little tables in between for your books/glasses/drinks etc) and could not be moved because there was a parasol placed between each two beds, slotted into the patio. It made for uncomfortable squeezing in and out between the rows of sunbeds.
POOLS - two of them, not especially huge, and mostly shallow for children. One fairly deep pool (about 5 ft) but if you are a serious swimmer, maybe find the lack of space irritating.
ROOMS - bit on the small side, but not a big problem. Balconies quite private which is good, however the table and chairs seem to vary from balcony to balcony - some have high backed textilene chairs (much more comfortable) and ours had the usual low back white plastic ones, so not easy to relax in (having had two days of rain I didn't want to sit propping up the bar all the time, so returned to the balcony to read, but it was too uncomfortable). Television - two English channels (ITV1 and BBC1 which was marvellous - on channels 35 and 36 and not as they state in the hotel information booklet) so I could watch the soaps if I wanted to or anything else on the wet and windy days. However, that said, the only place to watch the t.v. was laying down on the bed - there is a wooden headboard affixed to the wall behind the bed with a decorative rail at the top, just catching your head/neck, and as the pillows are long and narrow, they would not reach up high enough for padding. If we had had the high back balcony chairs like some other people, then maybe we could have utilised them inside the room as well as outside.
Staff were lovely, very cheerful, no problems there at all. Very few toiletries supplied in the bathroom, certainly no shampoo or conditioner or body lotion - just in case you want to pack your own. No tea making facilities, although reception did supply me with a kettle, even though I bought my own with me.
TOWEL CHANGING - this was done by the poolside each day between 4.30 p.m. and 5.30 p.m., quite often there were not enough clean towels to go around, so it meant having to queue up and trek to reception for them. Nicer, like other hotels, if there is a permanently manned 'site' all day in case you may want to swim more than once in a day!
Parade of shops opposite the hotel - most selling exactly the same tourist stuff, also Supermarkets if you want to get some drinks for your room.
Although I make these slight criticisms, I did enjoy my stay, but I wanted to LOVE it, rather than say 'it was nice'. !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The recently refurbished IBEROSTAR Playa de Muro is the best place to experience the type of holiday you’ve seen in the movies. With luxury catering, the Mediterranean Sea in the background and elegant decoration that’s worthy of the big screen. But with a difference. Here your family is the star of the show. What are you waiting for? Find out more now! The best setting, your room. The rooms can accommodate a couple or the whole family. They’re available with views of the pool, opposite the sea, with enormous terraces, a kitchen… and even with a whirlpool bath! Choose yours. The background music of the sea. Can you hear it? It’s in the rooms, at the main swimming pool or even at the main terrace of the restaurant when you’re having a drink. La Playa de Muro is right opposite the hotel and its kilometres of sand are perfect for making sand castles with the little ones. Feel like a star. Allow the professionals from SPA Sensations to pamper you with anti-stress, sports and aromatherapy massages… And top off the relaxation of your muscles in the sauna or on the heated loungers. It’ll leave you feeling incredible! Let’s get rolling, but with a bike, not a camera. Because aside from a fitness centre with two rooms full of state-of-the-art machines, there are bikes for rent, a garage to store them in, repair workshops, excursions… There’s a reason why the best cycling teams in the world stay here! Action! Your children are going to have a whale of a time in the games pools, playing with the water jets or climbing through their large bubbles. They also have the Miniclub, where they can dress up as pirates, meet new friends and try out different sports. Attend the premiere. Think of it as a red-carpet affair. You can be one of the first to set foot in the dazzling, freshly refurbished facilities of this hotel for families. With a happy ending. This is how the evenings draw to a close in this hotel in Mallorca: with gourmet dinners, local specialities, fresh products and international cuisine. You’ll even find a food truck beside the children’s pool. Make the most of it with all-inclusive! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your IBEROSTAR Playa de Muro reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Playa De Muro Hotel Playa De Muro
- Playa De Muro Iberostar
- IBEROSTAR Playa De Muro Majorca