“A great hotel”

Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Playa de Muro
Chislehurst, United Kingdom
“A great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We have never been to Majorca before and choose this hotel because it was located in a relatively quiet area and had very good reviews. My husband and I are in our 50`s and found this hotel catered to all our needs. It is a family hotel and there is a small children's club and a room to entertain older children but I feel children of 14 and over may need extra stimuli.
We arrived very late but were offered a cold buffet but decided bed sounded a better option. Our room was large and airy. The bed however was rather firm, I suppose I could have requested a mattress topper but as most nights we were so tired we didn`t bother. The room was quiet overlooking the nature reserve- the next hotel was a distance away, so we were not overlooked.
If I were to go again,and that is very likely, I would not pack towels nor hangers as these were both available, Towels for the pool and beach were located outside and could be collected when needed. I would however take a few clothes pegs as there is a discrete washing line but not enough pegs. There was a hairdryer but not an iron so I did take a mini iron with me. The room was exceptional clean.
The pool was a delight and you could order drinks and food at the bar/ cafeteria or have them brought to your lounger. The hotel is situated on the beach. For the first time in my life I loved swimming in the sea- it was warm, shallow and clear -plus the salt content was low ( don`t know why).
Food- fantastic. Great choice. The evening menu catered for all. There was meat, fish and vegetarian dishes and those with dietary needs were also catered for. The staff- kitchen and waiters/ waitresses were excellent. In fact the whole staff in the hotel were helpful, cheerful and a great asset to the hotel- credit to the management.
The spa is worth a visit but I found it a little expensive. The gym is small but well equipped.There is a shop in the hotel run by a lovely lady.
There was evening entertainment daily. Many evenings we chose to go for a walk or take a local bus to Old Alcudia- a lovely clean village with many interesting local shops.
A great hotel run by happy staff who really do care. It certainly deserves its 5 stars.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms overlook the nature parc.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mandy P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Uppsala, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Beautiful hotel. Both nice pool-area and good spot by the sea. Very nice food and extremely friendly staff, they were not bothered by any request and all of them seemed happy to provide service. We were really impressed. 5 stars for sure.

Room Tip: I think all rooms had a similar view ( you have to turn your head to see the sea from the balcony...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank christopher r
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed for one week mid July. Service from check in to restaurants and pool was exceptional; as good as anywhere I have stayed. Food is also top drawer; plenty of choice, well cooked and both buffet and a selection of meals to order each night. Lunch at the restaurant overlooking the beach is also a great experience.
Some simple ideas that make life so much easier such as having baskets full of clean towels around the pool to help yourself to; no waiting in line or having to show your room key, etc as some 5 star hotels do.
I'd say this hotel is better in some ways to others I have rated 5 stars. Why? I thought the rooms were a bit of a let down. I'd say a walk in shower should be a prerequisite for any 5 star hotel. An over bath shower with little power and varying temperature simply doesn't cut the mustard. A little dated overall is how I'd summarise the rooms.
Would I return? Definitely but only once they have refurbished. After all, this is one of the more expensive hotels on the island; 5 euros for a small beer, etc.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank spidermanEngland
Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I booked this hotel because we have previously stayed at a Grupotel in Ibiza which was 4 star and hubby and I were so impressed that when we fancied a change of island, a Grupotel seemed the obvious choice. This hotel was rated 5 stars so I really was expecting something a bit special and it did not disappoint. As soon as we exited our taxi we were met by the porter who led us into a stunning and beautifully fragranced!! foyer, check in was quick and as we arrived mid morning and our room was not ready we had an early lunch at the outdoor bistro which opens at 11am and serves all through the day, a real bonus and a nice change from the strict 12-2 lunch times that are so usual in many hotels. This really set the theme for the whole holiday, everything seems geared around what suits the guest. Our room was a standard double but seemed larger than average and so was the balcony. Breakfast again had the advantage of being 8-11am, really great choice, the usual fayre and then some, I loved the daily vegetable juice and fresh asparagus!...well I like it!! and the best coffee ive had anywhere!! Endless great things to say, beautiful pool area, with waiter service, fresh pool towels available all day, these can also be taken down to the beach as long as they're returned to the pool area on your return. The beach is beautiful and one of the cleanest ive encountered in the med. Yes there are some beach sellers but a polite 'no thank you' does the trick. Entertainment most nights, the Four Tops, Il Divo and the lady who sang on jazz night were my faves.
We went accoss to the Nature Parc opposite the hotel and had a walk on the odd overcast day, its very pretty and one day we walked the whole way round for what seemed like at hours!! really good fun.
As other reviewers have said, the staff at this hotel go out of their way to make sure you have a great holiday, they seem proud of their hotel and rightly so. I had my birthday whilst away and got wished happy birthday quite a few times and got a bottle of fizz in the room and a few more glasses in the evening!! a lovely touch! Thank you once again Grupotel.
We shall return!!!

Room Tip: Most rooms are garden or pool view unless you book a suite where I think most are sea view. I alway...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thewy19
wirral, england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was our first stay in this hotel and it certainly won't be the last.
It is a well run hotel providing a great service with very well trained and friendly staff.
On arrival you recieved a welcoming drink with the easiest check-in I've ever experienced.
The Room:
Your cases are already in your room when you are taken to it. The room( a superior double) is well fitted out and larger than ususal with a free safe and a nice bathroom-The one negative point is the bath, it's very narrow and not that long either. UK tv channels were BBC 1 & 2, ITV, ITV 2, True movies 1 & 2, True entertainment and 2 news channels. Every night there was a turndown service with a chocolate included. No tea/coffee facilities. Minibar prices were not excessive.
The Facilities:
Both indoor and outdoor pools were well maintained, clean and great to use. The gym was well kitted out (2 treadmills, 2 crosstrainers, a rowing machine free weights, 2 exercise bikes and the usual weight machines with all kit working and the spa facilities were excellent according to my wife.
Food:
Food was excellent. At both breakfast and dinner, every dish was labelled in german, spanish and english and they even marked those suitable for vegetarians!!!(and there was plenty of choice for veggies) Breakfast had a live cooking station for omlettes and eggs and a massive hot and cold buffet with loads of different breads, juices, meat, fruit and cheeses. Breakfast was served from 8 till 11 so great for a lie in.
Evening meal was excellent. There was always something different as you entered maybe a free drink or a starter such as smoked salmon. 3 nights a week they have a themed night, Mallorcan, Spanish and Gala. Although every night is a buffet, they offer you every night for your main a choice from a fish dish a meat dish or a vegetarian dish. These were presented and of the quality of any good fine dining restaraunt. As a veggie for many years, i was blown away by the variety and quality-no veggie lasagne in sight! And as a committed meat eater my wife was equally impressed with the meat dishes.
The quality of the buffet food was excellent too, loads of salads. a couple of soups each night, a roast & a live cooking station cooking fish or meat plus loads of veg, pasta etc- (the watermelon gazpacho was amazing! )
Deserts were great with 3 different home made ice creams everyday together with a hot desert such as caramelizzed bananas or even fried milk.
All were regularly refreshed and updated.
Drinks were all charged to your room and reasonably priced for a 5 star hotel.
Pool Bar:
It opens at 11 and has a wide range of food and drinks to serve all taste and is only a minute walk from the beach.
The Location
You walk pass the pool to the beach which is lovely sand with a gentle slope to the warm and clean med. Yes there is some seaweed but it is only in some places and is not a nuisance or problem.
The beach sunbeds are about 10 euros a day for 2 beds and a shade and are quite busy but there is plenty of space on the beach otherwise.
There are no watersports running from this beach so it's relatively quiet and safe.
We had no insect problems at all during our stay.
The staff:
They were quite simply perfect. Friendly, multilingual, efficient, smiling, hard-working and everyone of them knew their job and just got on with doing it.
It was my birthday whilst we were away and the hotel left a bottle of Cava with a card in our room.
The whole stay was just full of nice little touches like this that just makes it one which we will be returning to, soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stitchWirral_England
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Today is our last day at this hotel. We have had a lovely relaxing and chilled holiday ... With our 13 year old daughter. We were greeted by a welcome drink and a welcoming smile by a staff member who briefed us on the hotel and then showed us to our room. Our room is spacious with a balcony and air conditioning. Most days we have spent lazing by the pools but have occasionally ventured down to the beach. Yes, there is a little seaweed but nothing you can't hop over!!! The sea is very shallow, clean and clear making is good for the little ones. From 10am to 6pm there is a life guard by the pool - we have been in the pool until 7 pm most nights playing ball or lounging on our lilos. Breakfast and dinner are buffet style and the food is varied and good quality. At dinner there are two types of fish and meat cooked freshly while you wait. There are three themed evenings a week with various typical culinary delights. Entertainment is on most nights at the outside seating area with bar service. All staff at the hotel say Hola when passing and nothing is too much trouble. Our family criteria of a good holiday is - relaxing, smart hotel, quietish resort, good food/wine and sunshine. We have definitely found this here and would come back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cape Town Central, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

A fortnight ago myself and my family arrived at the Hotel. The average age of people at the hotel is 60 plus or it is parents with toddlers, do not come to this hotel an expect a great vibe. The Beach Bar closes before 7pm so do not expect any evening drinks. You cannot even swim in the swimming pool past 6pm and its summer - the sun is still out! The beach is not appealing, full of seaweed and the sea is choppy as well as the sea is not the crystal blue Mediterranean they show you in the photo's. The Hotel is in the middle of no where, the restaurants are minimal and you definitely won't have a culinary dining experience. The Hotel is also very old (need an upgrade) and past 10pm at night everyone is asleep! Not the best experience.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family