“Beautiful Broomhill”

Ranked #1 of 1 Muddiford B&B and Inns
Poole, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Broomhill”
Reviewed April 11, 2011

My partner and I stayed this weekend at the wonderful Broomhill Art Hotel. Although it was our first time staying here, we went with my parents who have stayed over the years on many occasions and were treating me for my birthday. From the moment you arrive at the hotel you realise this is not just an overnight stay in a hotel, but an experience. The approach to the hotel itself is scattered with brilliant sculptures that give a taste of what is to come within the rest of the grounds. The welcome was lovely and we were pleased with the rooms, although I think the owners themselves would accept that the bathrooms are in need of updating. That said, both our room and our parents room were well appointed looking out over the gardens, they were light and spacious and the art within them was interesting and unique. The rooms were clean as was the rest of the hotel. We spent a couple of hours exploring the sculpture gardens and as a keen photographer I had the opportunity to take some amazing shots of sculptures placed thoughtfully throughout the grounds. We came back to the main house to have dinner and enjoyed a 3 course meal (with complementary appetiser from the chef) for £23.95 per head. The food was excellent and the service was polite and prompt despite being fully booked. The organic wine list gives an excellent variety to choose from and the bottle(s!) we chose were very good value. The feel of the hotel itself is very much one of being in a family run establishment, and the owners are warm and friendly as are all of the staff we met. Overall, one of the best short breaks we have ever had and we will certainly being coming back as regularly as my parents have found themselves doing. Thank you for a wonderful couple of days.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2011

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary and couldn't fault the place. Interesting art on display everywhere, incredibly good value - it cost £130 in total for dinner, bed and breakfast for two including before and during-dinner drinks. The menu was excellent, locally-source and imaginative. The chef gave us a free appetizer. Very peaceful place to hang out, and you also get access to the surprisingly large sculpture park. The Dutch owners and all the staff were friendly but not overbearing so you didn't feel like your every move was being watched. They have been there for 15 years so know what they're doing obviously.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2011

I booked a table for a surprise Sunday lunch today for my wife and myself. We arrived and gave our name at the desk but the young man crossed us off his list and just walked away leaving us wondering what we had to do next. We were eventually shown to a table. The decor was beautiful and the restaurant was clinically clean. I asked for a slice of Spanish omlette as an alternative to the starter menu as I cannot eat fish and the other options were not to my taste. Spanish omlette was on the main course and I asked for a tapas (their usual menu) small portion as an option. The waitress bluntly said "no" and made no bones of the fact she was angry I had asked. This was now the second insult in 10 minutes. My wife left most of her starter as inedible. A 45 minute wait saw the arrival of the main course. We were on the point of walking out as were 4 diners at the next table. My main course was a beef stew, but it had a soggy salad in the stew and a soaked piece or flat bread which was oily and tasted burnt. (like greasy fried breakfast bread). The wine came already decorked and was not what I ordered. I was told my wine was not available and had to accept an inferior brand. My wife was happy with her duck course. I ordered cheese telling the waiter I could not eat goats cheese. The cheese arrived, but was mainly goats cheese, yet another complaint. We just waited and waited for everything. Used glasses were not cleared from the table and we thought of leaving at least four times because of poor service. Another table next to ours was given free wine due to the bad service. Never again will we go here albeit very local. I will tell every one I know to avoid the place like the plague. Give me a sandwich at The Saunton Sands Hotel anytime. It is welcoming there.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank WCC99
Devon
Reviewed December 17, 2010

Beautiful wooded grounds and a lovely period building oozing with character. Took office team there for our pre-Christmas dinner - fabulous menu served in a lovely room with open fire. Stayed overnight in comfortable room and woke up to snow which meant that the hotel staff were unable to get to the hotel for the breakfast service. Unphased, the owner simply got on singlehandedly with clearing the snow, preparing and serving breakfast. We'd definitely return to see the sculpture garden and for lunch or dinner. A definite cut above most establishments in North Devon !

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Our visit was planned via internet and was significantly more surprising than it looked. Paradise for Art lovers, heavenly for my wife, combined with fresh friendly and sincere staff made us long for time to stand still. The room we stayed in was very comfortable, the length and sumptuous seating of it enabled opportunities for relaxing whilst taking advantage of the in room tea & coffee on offer. The bathroom and shower were wonderfully clean and easy to use making us feel like we were staying with friends and not at a cheap chain hotel. It is certainly not expensive for all the quality you get. We look forward to going back to taste much more of their fabulous organic foods.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2010

The sculpture trail was inspiring - would definately visit again. Food in the restaurant was full of flavour, extremely fresh and beautifully presented. Pleasant staff and lovely informal atmosphere. Excellent value for money. My new favourite place!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Swindon
Reviewed July 20, 2010

A visual treat awaits you notwithstanding the art that greets along the drive up to the hotel. I had a spacious double room which overlooked the grounds. Having settled in, I spent a blissful 2-3 hours in the sculpture grounds enjoying the sights, birdsong and flora, whilst marvelling at the skill and imagination of the artists. The indoor gallery contained some wonderful artwork too and provided another hour of delight.
Staying one night I sampled breakfast the following morning and regret my decision not to opt for the smoked trout, although all that I had was fine with perhaps the exception of the toast, whose crusts were very hard even for someone with their own teeth! Oh, and if you're a dog fan there's a gorgeous 4 year old yellow labrador who you are unlikely to see unless you catch a glimpse of her and go and ask to see her as I did.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muddiford
The Imperial Hotel
Premier Inn Barnstaple Hotel
Hoops Inn
Hoops Inn
#1 of 11 in Bideford

Been to Broomhill Art Hotel? Share your experiences!