Amaya Hills Kandy
$101
Orbitz.com
$35
$29
SKYLOFT-KANDY by YATHRA(Kandy)(Great Value!)
$31
  • Pool
$133
$98
2,005 results
All reviewssquash courtsri lankaherbal teajunior suitegreat viewtable tennisswimming poola la carte menuamazing locationbeautiful hotelmini barmountain viewrestaurant staffour honeymoonreception areasurrounding hillswelcome drink
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed here one night and found that aside from the wonderful location, they do everything adequately, but nothing particularly well. Dinner was a horribly soulless buffet, and while we could not complaint about the food, we do not remember anything that would merit comment. Overall it just strikes you as a big room factory hotel, ticking most of the boxes but unmemorable and overpriced at $150 a night.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Amaya R, Guest Relations Manager at Amaya Hills Kandy, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Aleksandra R,

Ayubowan!
Your feedback is so important to us. I have shared all your points in regards to food and services with senior management. I am happy to connect you with our hotel manager to discuss further. Please email us if you'd like to pursue the conversation.

Based on the positive notes of your stay, I do hope you give us a another chance the next time you visit Kandy.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had an "upgrade" to the Bungalow due to a hotel booking stuff-up. The bungalow, while the accommodation was good, could do better with amenities. No tea/coffee making facilities, no extra towels, no hangers in closet, not even a doormat when you come into this "exclusive" place walking through the driveway!

The internal lights were very dim, and we had bare wires out of the wall over the mirror. The shower had no shelf for shampoo or soap dish etc etc. Can't imagine they were selling this place as "premium luxury" over their regular rooms in the main building.

There was a "butler" outside in his own little room whom you had to approach for everything from asking for tea to arranging a van to drive you up to the main building for meals (it was quite a steep walk if you want to attempt it on your own).

Room Tip: Stay in the main building or look for another hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear albertsebastian,

Ayubowan!
We are sorry to hear you had an unsatisfactory stay with us. Your candid feedback is appreciated and will be shared with senior management. If you would like to discuss further, please email us and i will set up a call with our hotel manager.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We arrived at this hotel mid of February rather anxious after having read a number of negative reviews. I must say that I was positively surprised and I cannot agree with some negative reviews.

--Arrival and Check-in--
We arrived in Kandy by train and just took a Tuktuk from the Railway Station. The driver charged 700 Rs. This hotel is more remote than the city hotels, but you get rewarded by the tremendous view. It starts already when you arrive and enter the open air lobby. We were greeted friendly and check-in procedures were fast and discrete (we did not need to stand at the reception counter but were asked to sit on the sofas where drinks and scented warm towels were offered).

--Rooms--
I cannot say anything bad about our room (that is why I was astonished to read another newer review whereas the room was dirty and old and even staff admitted - strange....) It was up-to-date, clean and cosy. Bathroom was very nice and modern. The room had a balcony with two foldable plastic chairs (beware: the monkeys are getting there so always look out and close the balcony door if you leave the room!). The room has a minibar with soft drinks, snacks and beer (no wine).

--Pool area--
I liked this very much because it is big enough for a number of guests and you can still enjoy the view. Colours of walls and atmosphere is very relaxing and welcoming. The water is rather chilly but refreshing.

--Gym--
They have two tread mills, a cross trainer, bicycles and other machines. The gym is clean and quite good, but it was too hot in there. When we got there the AC was off and the door was open. Must have been 35 degrees. Somebody came and switched on the AC, but it never really got cooler.

--Ayurvedic Center--
We had a foot reflexe massage, 1 hour duration. It was ok, but I cannot judge it because I never had an Ayurvedic therapy before. The centre itself looked a little down with dirty walls and you also hear other customers in the neighbour rooms since the walls are not going upto the ceilings.

--Restaurant--
The restaurant is indeed rather big and it gives you a "feeding the masses" feeling. Food was average. Service was friendly and speed of being served average. Nothing really to complain about as other reviewers did.

The receptionists can arrange Tuktuk drivers who bring you to Kandy. The charge to the Tooth Temple or the Main Street is 600 Rs. and to the Botanical Garden 500 Rs. The Driver (always the same) was friendly and had good driving skills, but he had an Arrack bottle visible in his Tuktuk, and he tries to do detours in order to get you in some shops where he might get commission if he brings potential buyers.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at Amaya Hills. The atmosphere is relaxed and you just feel good because of the view and how the hotel is built. The red-golden paint of the walls is very welcoming. The only bad thing was that one night a bunch of guys from a vodka drinking nation was very, very loud at the pool. I called the reception at 01h00 to please tell the guys they shall be quiet, but nothing happened. Only later the electricity at the pool area was switched off and the loud guests continued in their rooms. But I believe many hotels in Sri Lanka are facing these kind of guests nowadays.

We would definitely return as this hotel contributed to a wonderful holiday in Sri Lanka.

Room Tip: Definitely a room which is facing the mountains.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Laulalei,

Ayubowan!
Thank you very much for the thorough review! We very much appreciate it. I will convey all your feedback to our staff and the relevant department heads. Look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit to Kandy.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Where to start! I have travelled to Sri Lanka many times on business but this is the first time with my wife and as a tourist. I wanted to treat my wife to some nice hotels during our trip and managed to do do until we arrived at this hotel. I am normally as positive as I can re reviews but this place just is not good enough.

This place is so over rated, over priced and out dated. It needs to have some significant money spent on it to justify the location and costs!!

The location is fabulous - no doubt. As mentioned by other reviewers, the road up to the hotel is a bit long and twisty but it is of good quality and should not be considered as an issue at all.

The rooms are very old world, not large which should not be considered an issue. What was a problem was that they were not clean, in particular the bathroom. There was mould everywhere, the seal between the bath and the wall was bordering on disgusting, the shower scree was filthy (the photo shows not a screen that is steamed up but just filth - you can't see through to the taps beyond! the shaver socket was not secure (potentially dangerous), the toilet seat was broken, the air con did not work, the fan had a mind of its own, there was damp on the bedroom walls, the mini bar fridge was filthy. (see photos).

I complained to the duty manager - Nandana - who to be honest was as nice as he could be but also understood exactly what we saying. There was no point moving us he said as most of the rooms were of a similar nature. There was no offer of monetary compensation but he was prepared to pick up our food / drinks bill for our stay.

Food, served in a very large restaurant was no more than average. We did eat in the al a carte part of the restaurant but I am afraid the food was just not good enough for the money.

We were very happy to leave and would not recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bsomerton

Dear bsomerton,

Ayubowan!
I am sorry that you had such a disappointing experience. I have forwarded your feedback to our hotel general manager and housekeeping team. Also, they will send you an email under separate cover. Please review at your convenience, as we would like to hear from you.

Again, our sincerest apologies and we're looking forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have stayed at Amaya Hills both for business and pleasure. I have to say that on all those occasions, the stay has been memorable, wonderful and I was sad to leave. Amaya Hills would have had a place in tourism history if the LTTE didn't bomb the Dalada Maligawa as Prince Charles was expected to stay here during the 50th year celebrations in 1998. Staying that, I can say that Amaya Hills is indeed a hotel par excellence, a place fit for royalty but adds value to the scenic beauty that Kandy is renowned for.
The staff are accommodating and helpful, the food is delicious and the rooms are comfortable and clean. Moreover, the pool is perfect to unwind and chill. What's more, Amaya Hills is home to Kandy's first and happening nightclub Le Garage which is where Kandy teens go to let their hair down.
Indeed, Amaya Hills can combine pleasure, fun, adventure, excitement and relaxation whilst respecting its Kandyan culture being the best five star hotel in Kandy.

Room Tip: Nearly all of the rooms have stunning views of Kandy town but make sure you ask as reception before checking in!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank nilmadole

Dear nilmadole,

Ayubowan!
I am pleased that you had another wonderful stay with us! Thank you so much for the kind words and thorough review. Its always nice to hear that our guests had a great stay. We look forward to welcome you back again with us soon!