All reviewslagoon villaoctopuswater sportsmain restaurantfishsea planejet skiingdolphin tripall inclusive packageglass of proseccoafter midnightplastic bottlesmemorable holidaysunset barpaddle boardingcomplimentary upgradespecial thanks
Reviewed September 1, 2017

We stayed a week at this stunning new resort during the busy month of August. Seaplane transfers were arranged seamlessly and the location is stunning set in crystal clear water. We asked for a quiet beach villa and were very happy with the location near to the spa and gym. Half board plus was a perfect option for us as it left us with other choices for lunch. Staff throughout the resort are exceptionally friendly and helpful at all times - they really make your stay amazing. Wait staff add a personal touch and you only need ask for anything you need or want. We loved the daily snorkeling trips by dhoni and the occasional cocktail functions to which were invited. Thanks all for a very memorable and relaxing holiday and I hope we may visit again sometime.

Stayed: August 2017
1  Thank PeeBee01
Ram B, General Manager at Cocoon Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2017

Dear PeeBee01,
Thank you for having stayed at Cocoon. I am pleased that you had a "perfect holiday" in this new resort and appreciate your recognition to the quality of service you have been receiving from the staff.
We hope to see you again at Cocoon for another memorable experience.

Reviewed August 31, 2017

It started with a stunning TMA Seaplane flight from Male & just got better each day.
Initially wanted to stay in a Water Bungalow but ended up next to the beach,great decision with stunning views & great sunsets.
The rooms were spot on,cleaned daily & we couldn't have asked for more.
The main restaurant where b/fast lunch & dinner were taken was large bright & food varied & of a good standard.The staff friendly & really helpful.
Beaches were out of this world & sea water absolutely clear.
The All inclusive package works really well.
If there were any negatives I would say that the Water Sports were very expensive & a little disappointed to be charged for drinks on the last day before leaving after lunchtime.(Prrhaps me just knit picking).
Sup Super Holiday.

Stayed: August 2017
Ram B, General Manager at Cocoon Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2017

Dear dhontour2016,
I am pleased that you had a magnificent holiday at Cocoon.
Thank you very much indeed for having chosen Cocoon as your destination Resort.
We hope to have the pleasure welcoming you again among us on this beautiful private Island.

Reviewed August 26, 2017 via mobile

When I booked my 6-night stay at Cocoon via booking.com, I was made aware that there would be a seaplane transfer to the hotel costing $360.- and that in order to make sure that I would arrive at the hotel on my first day of booking, I would need to arrive in Male before 3:30pm local time. Of course, I considered this when booking my airplane ticket on Qatar Airways. However, on the day of my flight to Male, Qatar had technical problems during my transfer in Doha, which meant that I ended up arriving 5 hours after my scheduled arrival time in Male. When I exited Male Airport, a representative of Cocoon received me and informed me that I would need to find and pay for 1 night's accomodation in Male since Cocoon would not transfer me to the hotel past 3:30pm. The charge for my first night at Cocoon ($424.12) I would nevertheless need to pay!! When we were joined by a representative of Qatar Airways, they also denied all responsibility and told me they would not help me with my stay in Male. The Cocoon representative said he knew a "3-star" hotel 10 minutes from the airport which would cost me $55.- for the night. I was taken to this hotel and OMG! This place was truly horrific, insects and spiders were in my room and bathroom, it was by far the most terrible accomodation I ever stayed in! I tried to reach booking.com for help, but was unable to find a phone number anywhere online (they keep it well hidden!) so instead sent them a message via contact form; their immediate reply was "too bad for you, but this has nothing to do with booking.com".
Finally, on my 2nd day, I was flown to Cocoon. The room I was given was by no means a "beach villa" as advertised-it was more like a hut or bungalow. Initially I thought the idea of an outside bathroom (and loo) was creative, a bit like Robinson Crusoe, but I soon came to long for a bit of climatisation during showering or using the toilet.
I had booked an all-inclusive stay, this effectively meant that I could drink juice and soft drinks from my mini bar (no beer or snacks included) and eat at the buffet at breakfast, lunch and dinner without surcharge. In order to get a drink (beer or cocktail) I would need to walk 8 minutes to the pool bar. This means that this was effectively my first beach vacation during which I not once drank a cocktail on a stretcher on the beach....
Finally, on my last day I walked to reception to enquire after my return trip to Male- I was told that everything would be explained to me in a letter which I would find in my room after dinner. So at 7pm I walked to the restaurant for dinner, afterwards back to my room where a letter was waiting saying I should go back to reception to settle my bill. So I walked straight back to the restaurant/reception area, where the cashier told me I had no outstanding amounts and did not need to pay anything further since my card had already been debited upon arrival. The next morning when I was waiting to board the boat for my seaplane transfer back to Male, I was approached by the receptionist who told me I would need to go back to reception to settle my bill!!! She drove me back along the pier to see the same cashier I had seen the night before who then said that I still needed to pay for all taxes and the seaplane transfer....
All in all I conclude that this was not worth it for me, the total cost I incurred for these 5 (not 6!) nights would have been better spent on a real 5-star hotel in the mediterranean, where I could have avoided the middle eastern flight companies and gotten a business class flight for the same cost as my economy flight on Qatar plus the cost of the seaplane transfer.
My lessons learned: avoid Qatar Airways, avoid booking.com and next time go to the Seychelles instead, where from experience I can say that 5-star really means 5-star.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled solo
10  Thank isem_11
Ram B, General Manager at Cocoon Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2017

Dear isem_11,
I am very sorry that you experienced these inconveniences concerning the transfers and accommodation due to a flight delay and for confusion at check out from the resort. However, I hope that the stay itself at the resort was an enjoyable one.
I wish to share with you , the information that all partners selling Cocoon are aware of:
Airport Transfer Information:
*Upon your arrival to Maldives at Velana International Airport, Male’ after receiving the luggage or after immigration clearance and you will find our Airport Representative holding a sign board of Cocoon at the exit of the arrival’s terminal to assist you through the check-in process for the seaplane transfers to Cocoon Maldives.
*Seaplanes are operated during daylight hours only and Guests arriving in Malé on an international flight, landing after 15:30hrs, will need to find their own overnight accommodation in Malé at their own expense. They will be transferred to Cocoon Maldives the following day. Departure transfers from Cocoon Maldives to Male International Airport are scheduled between 06:00hrs and 16:00hrs, connecting to all international flights leaving from 09:00hrs onwards. Guests departing Malé on an international flight earlier than 09:00hrs will need to leave Cocoon Maldives 1 day before the date of departure to reach the airport on time. Seaplane transfer provider imposes a luggage restriction of 20 kg’s of checked luggage and 5 kg’s of hand luggage, additional weight will be charged US$5.00 per kg.
*In order to organize a seamless transfer process, the resort requires your international flight details to and from the Maldives, along with the full names of all visitors at the time of booking or at the latest, 7 days before arrival. The property may not be able to guarantee transfers if the flight details are not received within the recommended time frame or if booked within 7 days to arrival.
Thank you for having stayed at Cocoon and my apologies for the inconveniences. I remain available should you wish to contact me by mail.

Reviewed August 26, 2017 via mobile

We visited as a family of 4 for 10 nights and on booking were upgraded to two water villas. This is our first time to the Maldives so cannot compare to other resorts but felt it was very good value for money, especially as its all inclusive and in the Maldives if you have to pay for food on top then this can be an eye watering bill from what I have heard!

The resort is beautiful and staff are very friendly and attentive. Also a nice touch is you see the GM of the resort at every mealtime, he is always on hand and very open to suggestions and helpful. I have never stayed in a resort where the GM is so hands on and this is a great quality.
We arrived early morning but our rooms were ready which was great. The seaplane takes around 30mins from Male. We were whisked off in buggies to our water villas which were lovely. Only downside was we weren't allocated 2 villas together but it was just one down from us, even though they knew we were a family. A minor niggle.

I would have rated this 4.5 but can't do half stars. The reason it just fell short of 5 stars for me is due to the following:-

1. The air con in our villa was not able to go below 20c and we called out the engineers on 2 occasions to look at this. I found generally if you make a call you often have to do a follow up call as they can take up to a day to deal with first requests. 2nd follow up call usually gets a more prompt response. They cleared out the air con unit, told us to keep all doors shut (which we had anyhow) but it made no diff. Called them back again and then they put more gas in the aircon which helped slightly and we were told that 20c was as cold as it gets. As we come from Scotland we said this is heating for us! In the end we gave up. You have to keep door to bathroom closed for the main room to stay cool, but if your in the bathroom then it feels really hot.
2. There are no fans or aircon in the main restaurant Octopus. It is open aired so I can understand air con won't work but they could have ceiling fans placed around. Temps when we went were around 29c but it is very humid so it feels much hotter and temps don't dip much in the evening either. For me personally this made dining slightly uncomfortable.
3. The gym although small has got enough equipment to do a workout but again no aircon or fans which meant I found it unusable
4. The paid water sports are expensive, around $90 for 20mins on a jet ski. But snorkelling equipment is complimentary.
5. The main pool in the complex is not that big and there is no shade anywhere to protect from the sun especially for little one, we didn't use it much therefore preferring the ocean.

Apart from the above issues our holiday was unbelievable. The food is of a high quality with a great selection to choose from at every mealtime. There is something to suit everyone and if not you can speak to the chefs at lunchtime and they can arrange for something at dinner time. Also my girls love French fries but they are not on that often and when I mentioned it to the GM he was like no problem just ask the chefs and they can do you a bowl at mealtimes, so from there on we did. There is always a good selection of salads, meat, fish, pasta and even a corner with more spicy food. Everything was delicious.
We did a paid trip to a neighbouring uninhabited island BBQ and snorkelling combined with local island visit and saw dolphins enroute. Was an amazing trip and well worth it. We also did the house reef snorkelling which again was very good and runs at 9am and 11am complimentary.
The water villas have steps running down into the ocean and early morning when tide is out you can just walk out in the ocean. Be careful as later in the day when currents are choppy as it makes swimming that bit more difficult. As advised by others we took sand shoes that we could wear to protect our feet. But it's amazing to just go swimming or snorkelling and see so many fish even on your doorstep. They tend to hide around under the villas and even just standing on your patio looking down you will still see a great range of fish.

I was concerned before going about weather in July, hence we booked 10 nights as had read you can experience a couple of rainy/stormy days but we only had 1 real stormy day. Mostly it would rain overnight or on a few occasions occasionally during the day but it would last 5 mins and then clear up almost immediately.

When we were there resort was running at pretty much full capacity but you would never have known as you don't ever feel it. Only realise at mealtimes when you see the number of people but never had problems with seating or service.
Can honestly say it's an amazing place and you will not be disappointed. I can't say how it is in comparison to other high end resorts in Maldives but as first timers we were wow'd. In terms of luxury we did a stopover in Dubai and in comparison to our hotel in Dubai it wasn't in the same league but then Dubai hotels are another level.

Overall had an amazing holiday and would happily return, but with so many options in the Maldives would like to try other resorts.

Stayed: July 2017, traveled with family
3  Thank Nabeela C
Ram B, General Manager at Cocoon Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2017

Dear Nab1121,
Thank you for the review.
I am happy that you and family had a great time.
I remember you and family very well and always telling me you were enjoying your stay.
I wish you many more happy holidays and if, you were to visit us again, we will be delighted to welcome you.

Reviewed August 24, 2017 via mobile

Thank you cocoon Maldives for one of the best holidays so far !! New resort !! Nice atmosphere!! Lovely beach and water

Thank you hameed at the octopus restaurant for taking care of us !!!

Thanks to the guys at extreme Maldives ( water activities ) Zafar and prince Naif best guys ever ...
we will meet again soon!!

Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends
3  Thank Faisal A
Ram B, General Manager at Cocoon Maldives, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2017

Dear Faisal A,
It was a pleasure hosting you and I am very happy to read that you had a wonderful vacation at Cocoon.
We look forward to welcoming you again at Cocoon.Thank you
Regards