“Nice friendly pub”

Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Hursley
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 1, 2013

went with four children (aged between 2 and 8). made to feel welcome, good service and food. reasonably busy for a mid week lunch visit.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Made the mistake of ordering a Chocolate Fudge Cake pudding. Very disappointed when it came. It was an average slice of ordinary looking chocolate cake with a huge pile of canned spray cream on the side. For this I was charged an incredible £5.55.
The main meals were not bad although my Chicken Caesar Salad came with soft soggy croutons which must have been leftovers from the previous day or two. The Beef Stew in Yorkshire Pudding was excellent and so was the service.
Will visit again but will never order another dessert.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Nice food , good setting with beer garden in a pretty hampshire village. Food fine but not spectacular.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Came here on a quiet, cold, October lunch time with my partner for a warming lunch. We were politely greeted at the bar by one of the staff members and promptly offered a tab as we were joining them for lunch. I ordered a pint of HSB (wonderfully kept pint) and my partner had a bottled strawberry cider.

Unfortunately the pleasant midweek lunch experience stopped there. We ordered a chicken burger with cheese, bacon and chips and I had the Faggots with Mash. (we were given the option of 'plastic' cheese or real cheddar on the burger) The faggots usually come with new potatoes and veg according to the menu, however I thought mash would be a reasonable alternative as sausage and mash was also available on the main menu.

We waited no more than 10 minutes for the food to appear. Exceptionally quick service time that I would have overlooked as kitchen efficiency if it weren't for the quality of the food that appeared in front of us.

Along with a burger van style chicken burger were some barely warm unseasoned chips with an entertaining splash of balsamic vinegar on some limp iceberg lettuce. Acceptable I suppose for standard pub grub in some instances.

The faggots and (s)mash were terrible though. The faggots are apparently from the local butcher, however I cannot begin to imagine how they have been handled by the chef to reach the table in such a state. They were undercooked by quite a margin and the three that were presented in an 'ear dish' were not your standard, roughly spherical faggots that most of us would know and love. They were semi-spherical, having been sat on a tray in the fridge for what I can only assume was a fair while. Either that or someone had accidentally put something rather heavy on top of them. Whether you like 'brains faggots' or the specialty faggots from your local butcher these were just terrible. The bisto quality gravy added nothing to the dish. Then came the accompanying sickly bright yellow sludge on the plate. Full of floury lumps, I can only assume that it was smash instead of real mash potato. The only other explanation is that the chef clearly has never eaten mash potato before and does not understand what the consistency, flavour or colour should be like.

Throughout all of this neither of the staff bothered to come over to the table to check if our meals were to our liking. A standard industry norm for anywhere that serves food nowadays.

When I mentioned this when I went to pay I was met with an aggressive response from the staff, and essentially told that I was wrong in my criticisms of the meals. Although this did result in the meal being taken off of the bill, the overall experience was bad and I will not be returning. I will also advise everyone that I know not to visit.

2  Thank Speziale1982
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The restaurant is a character building set in the middle of Hursley and of a comfortable size. We had lunch there with two other adults and two children. The overall experience was very good. The service was very good and friendly and the food was quickly prepared and well cooked - my liver and bacon was excellent. The prices were very reasonable for a main course, desert, coffee and a bottle of the house wine for about £22.00 per head. It has a pleasant garden where we had coffee and with plenty of things to keep young children happy. It is certainly a place where you would feel very comfortable with a young family