“Great location but....”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hackness
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great location but....”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Great tranquil location with stunning scenery but the hotel lacked personality and warmth. The service was adequate but the staff could have been a a bit more friendly. The room (no. 12) had been newly decorated and was pleasant but extremely cold even with two radiators on full. The lounge bar was very chilly but once the fire was lit it became cosy and comfortable. The restaurant was nice but again quite cold and so were the staff who were inexperienced and it showed. We had the 3 course dinner which was OK but not worth the money. The grounds and surrounding area were lovely and ideal for those that enjoy a walk but remember to take good walking boots as it is quite muddy. It was impossible to get a mobile phone signal either inside or outside of the hotel so travellers should bear this in mind. Also although the hotel offers free internet service we could not get a wireless signal in the room itself which could be a problem for some people. The full english breakfast was poor, we are not fussy eaters but the grease oozing out of the fried bread was enough to put anyone off also they were very stingy with the toast! All in all this was a very "average" break! It's such a shame as the hotel has so much potential.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 12 if you don't like a separate toilet and bathroom. Also it had a step th...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We booked a two night stay out of the blue wanting to go somewhere near Scarborough. The hotel was perfect for what we were looking for. The room was good, the food was excellent, the staff were friendly and helpful, and the bar was relaxing and welcoming. We shall definitely go to Hackness Grange again.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main building are better in winter.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank James F
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I have recently stayed at Hackness Grange Hotel and whilst I can understand some of the negative comments on this site (uneven patio tiles for example) , I find the majority are just nit picking!
The hotel is set in a gorgeous location and the owners are clearly trying their best to make improvements to the hotel.
We stayed in a Courtyard room, which we found to be excellent value for money. The food was excellent and the breakfast very good with a good choice of cereal, fruits and nuts etc. I read about the criticisms of the service however we did not witness this at all. Everyone tried their best, were polite and always willing to help. The ambience in the restaurant was superb, with a real fire, candles on the table and dimmed lighting. All for creating a mood of romance.
Overall I believe the hotel is great value and I would recommend this to our friends.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William D
wakefield
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Four of us spent two nights at Hackness with dinner on both nights. The rooms in the house were really lovely, and our bath was huge! Lovely views over the lake and we woke to the quacking of the local ducks which was really nice. The food is very, very good indeed, so many thanks to the chef. The waiting staff (and there were plenty) were very friendly.

The only negative comment I would give is that the dining room is so dark we could have done with miners helmets on. There is a chandelier in the centre of the large room with a couple of standard lamps. On the first evening we were fortunately sitting under a large paining so asked for the light above it to be turned on, so we could actually read the menu. The second evening we were at a different table which had a standard lamp plugged in next to it which we had to pull over to shine on the table, again so that we could read the menu. Unfortunately the lack of lighting resulted in a huge lack of atmosphere in the dining room. The bar and lounge were very nicely lit, so no problems there. Just a small point, but one which I hope is taken up by the owners.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main house.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank linstock
Shropshire
Reviewed November 3, 2013

When I booked a room at this Hotel I assumed from the photographs I would be staying in the hotel but no I was sent to a courtyard which I almost broke my neck trying to walk on the uneven path and road surface. When I got to the main door it wouldn't open as it was stuck, the stairs were dark and dingy and and the whole appearance shabby. When I opened the door to my room I was sad to see how cluttered and unkempt it was, the bathroom was filthy there were no towels and no tea making facilities ans they hadn't been replenished, the bedding was stained and the wardrobe door wouldn't shut and the tele wouldn't play as it kept losing signal.
Breakfast was ok but not the best I've had but the service was so poor very disorganized which to be fair wasn't the girls fault, they were all very young and maybe not had the correct training.
That is the negative, the positive is that it was a great location very picturesque a nice lake and walking is great.
The car park is a bit away from the hotel but manageable and there are disabled by the entrance.
I thought I was mis sold my room as I thought I would be staying in the hotel thats what attracted me to it initially and £232 for two nights stay in the room I was in is a rip off I should have paid £60 max for it . Overall I'm very disappointed as I feel very out of pocket and sorry my weekend was spoilt.
Would I recommend this hotel to friends I would say probably not however if I had been offered a room in the hotel maybe my review would have been more positive.
It just requires a good scrub up and some training in customer service from the staff and it will be a nice place to stay i think

Room Tip: Make sure you are being offered the hotel and not the courtyard rooms they are drab and dirty
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alison S
Halifax United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Although a very beautiful spot, the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. Alex Polezzi would have a field day ! It certainly needs some updating in the dining room. Very dark and dismal, food was cold and breakfast the 2nd day we were there looked as if it was a childrens portion. Usually you get asked if you would like a drink before your meal, but we had to ask a waitress if this was possible. After the meal we were not offered coffee or tea, so we just left the restaurant and went back to our rooms. If this hotel is in the throes of being renovated, which it looked very probable that it was, then we hope the staff have better staff training in how to deal with customers.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank suebroady
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

Owners can be applauded for developing the hotel but the room that we were in was directly opposite the building work and should, perhaps, have been taken out of use whilst this was going on as the ground was muddy and there was building noise. The room itself was clean, if a bit small and dark, but perfectly adequate.

We had an evening meal and 2 breakfasts as part of our deal. The dinner was fine with good quality food. The breakfasts were also of good quality although they ran out of fruit salad on the first day and it didn't appear on the second either. We were due to have Bucks Fizz with our breakfasts and this was not offered, although as we were driving this was not an issue for us. We were more concerned that we were not offered a top up on our toast and coffee which seemed a bit mean, as did the £2.50 supplement for a larger breakfast.

Prospective guests need to be aware that there is no wifi or mobile phone signal, truly off the grid.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gwen-SY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hackness
Wrea Head Hall
#24 of 28 in Scarborough
Marine Residence
Marine Residence
#19 of 28 in Scarborough

Been to Hackness Grange Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!