Hackness Grange Country House Hotel
$173
Wrea Head Hall(Scarborough)
$145
East Ayton Lodge(East Ayton)
$89
$127
$58
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe main housefunction roomnew ownersbridal suiteno mobile phone signalforge valleywonderful weddingdaughters weddingevening buffetwedding venuethe general managersunday lunchdalby forestpeace and quietthe north yorkshire moorsmr and mrsthis lovely hotel
Reviewed December 4, 2012

A hotel in a beautiful setting with excellent & friendly staff. The food was delicious & we will certainly be back. Thank you to all the staff ( especially Chris ) for a lovely winter break. Good luck to the new owner & all his staff in your new venture you deserve all the success.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave M
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Our party of 8 stayed last week-end for the 6th year running, which says it all really. The staff are fantastic as is the food, we were all spoilt for choice. When we have stayed previously it's been obvious that the bedrooms needed updating, but it didn't put us off because the hotel suited our needs completely. The new owner is starting to make his mark as the bedrooms (4 in all) that we stayed in have been updated to a very high standard. Cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. Don't be put off by the pool being taken out, we think that will enhance the hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Plus points
Good, clean and well decorated, warm room and bathroom
Comfortable bed and efficient modern TV
Very quiet
Good location and setting on the river Esk
Splendid building,
Beautiful Dining room with lovely views over terrace and open fire. ( very welcome on cold weekend)
Staff helpful and friendly
Excellent breakfast
Good value deal

Minus points
Dinner robust but a bit pretentious and not fine dining
Being refurbished so some tired looking areas in main building
Damp smell in corridors of main building
Tiresome piped music in Dining Room and Bar
Steep stairs, no lift
We were on a Travelzoo deal B&B + dinner, £89 pp for 2 nights
Our room was in the courtyard, a short walk from the main house

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank saxville
RogeratHackness, Owner at Hackness Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thank you for your comments and highlighting the fact that we are refurbishing, so clearly we are moving in what I hope is the right direction.
I am of course sorry to read that you found our dinner 'pretentious and not fine dining'. Comments on our food are generally very good and we pride ourselves to offering good country house hotel food and its a shame that if you were disappointed that you did not let the staff know.
As to music, it is very difficult to please everyones tastes. The system is set up to play from a large selection and we will continue to try and identify suitable music for the hotel.
Installing a lift is a considerable expense and whilst most guests do not have an issue with climbing only one flight of stairs, I do appreciate that some are unable to do that. Our Courtyard rooms, some of which are ground level, can alleviate the need to climb stairs, the only possible downside though is that the rooms are in the Courtyard.
I will look into the damp smell issue, though I believe this could have be related to the closed pool area.
Once again thank you for taking the time to comment on us.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have just come back from a very enjoyable couple of nights stay with my mother at
Hackness Grange. The house is in beautiful settings, and the room we were given was lovely looking out onto the lake at the front of the house. The staff could not have been nicer and the food was superb. We could not have asked for a better place to stay I would highly recommend staying here. First Class well done all the staff and good luck to the new owners.!

Room Tip: Room four has views to the front of the house and the side window looks up the hills.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Waters3
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I nearly booked this hotel, but in the end opted for one in Scarborough itself. However, my nosiness got the better of me and we decided to try afternoon tea in the hotel (it is open to non-residents for meals.) We were offered tea in the bar-lounge for £10 each, and although at first that seemed a little pricy, for what we got I thought it was quite reasonable. We had a three-tier cake stand with rather nice smoked salmon sandwiches, scones, jam and cream and some strawberries-and-cream in filo pastry as well as a delicious chocolate mouse each. I have paid twice that price for something similar in Manchester, so price-wise it was fine, I thought. However, I must say that the lounge itself was cold and we had to keep our coats on for some time until we warmed up a bit. As we were the only guests in the lounge, and the hotel was quiet generally, I think the heating was on low. I do hope that they keep the bedrooms warmer!

The hotel is in an idyllic location. The photographs do not lie, this is a lovely historic building in stunning surroundings. The grounds are maintained well and there is an outdoor tennis court on site. However, the indoor swimming pool is closed for good and is going to be turned into a reception/function room. Generally, though I was pleasantly surprised. Having read some of the reviews on here, I was expecting a rather tatty interior, but that would be a very harsh judgement, I think. Although it does look as if it could do with a bit of a refurb, everything seemed perfectly okay, if perhaps just a touch dated in parts. Anyway, country house hotels shouldn't try to be up to the minute trendy places, that's not the right style for them.

If you love the countryside or want a romantic getaway in beautiful suroundings, I think this could be the place for you. Don't expect it to be perfect, but if you get an attractive price I think this would be worth the money. (The hotel website seemed to have quite a few good deals on offer.) Scarborough is only a 15 minuite drive away, but you feel that you have escaped to a real rural hideaway coming here. I suspect it would be at its best in warmer weather, though!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family