“Work in progress with great potential”

Hackness Grange Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hackness
Reviewed November 21, 2012

Plus points
Good, clean and well decorated, warm room and bathroom
Comfortable bed and efficient modern TV
Very quiet
Good location and setting on the river Esk
Splendid building,
Beautiful Dining room with lovely views over terrace and open fire. ( very welcome on cold weekend)
Staff helpful and friendly
Excellent breakfast
Good value deal

Minus points
Dinner robust but a bit pretentious and not fine dining
Being refurbished so some tired looking areas in main building
Damp smell in corridors of main building
Tiresome piped music in Dining Room and Bar
Steep stairs, no lift
We were on a Travelzoo deal B&B + dinner, £89 pp for 2 nights
Our room was in the courtyard, a short walk from the main house

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank saxville
RogeratHackness, Owner at Hackness Grange Country House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thank you for your comments and highlighting the fact that we are refurbishing, so clearly we are moving in what I hope is the right direction.
I am of course sorry to read that you found our dinner 'pretentious and not fine dining'. Comments on our food are generally very good and we pride ourselves to offering good country house hotel food and its a shame that if you were disappointed that you did not let the staff know.
As to music, it is very difficult to please everyones tastes. The system is set up to play from a large selection and we will continue to try and identify suitable music for the hotel.
Installing a lift is a considerable expense and whilst most guests do not have an issue with climbing only one flight of stairs, I do appreciate that some are unable to do that. Our Courtyard rooms, some of which are ground level, can alleviate the need to climb stairs, the only possible downside though is that the rooms are in the Courtyard.
I will look into the damp smell issue, though I believe this could have be related to the closed pool area.
Once again thank you for taking the time to comment on us.

There are newer reviews for Hackness Grange Country House Hotel

Reviewed November 16, 2012

I have just come back from a very enjoyable couple of nights stay with my mother at
Hackness Grange. The house is in beautiful settings, and the room we were given was lovely looking out onto the lake at the front of the house. The staff could not have been nicer and the food was superb. We could not have asked for a better place to stay I would highly recommend staying here. First Class well done all the staff and good luck to the new owners.!

Room Tip: Room four has views to the front of the house and the side window looks up the hills.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Waters3
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I nearly booked this hotel, but in the end opted for one in Scarborough itself. However, my nosiness got the better of me and we decided to try afternoon tea in the hotel (it is open to non-residents for meals.) We were offered tea in the bar-lounge for £10 each, and although at first that seemed a little pricy, for what we got I thought it was quite reasonable. We had a three-tier cake stand with rather nice smoked salmon sandwiches, scones, jam and cream and some strawberries-and-cream in filo pastry as well as a delicious chocolate mouse each. I have paid twice that price for something similar in Manchester, so price-wise it was fine, I thought. However, I must say that the lounge itself was cold and we had to keep our coats on for some time until we warmed up a bit. As we were the only guests in the lounge, and the hotel was quiet generally, I think the heating was on low. I do hope that they keep the bedrooms warmer!

The hotel is in an idyllic location. The photographs do not lie, this is a lovely historic building in stunning surroundings. The grounds are maintained well and there is an outdoor tennis court on site. However, the indoor swimming pool is closed for good and is going to be turned into a reception/function room. Generally, though I was pleasantly surprised. Having read some of the reviews on here, I was expecting a rather tatty interior, but that would be a very harsh judgement, I think. Although it does look as if it could do with a bit of a refurb, everything seemed perfectly okay, if perhaps just a touch dated in parts. Anyway, country house hotels shouldn't try to be up to the minute trendy places, that's not the right style for them.

If you love the countryside or want a romantic getaway in beautiful suroundings, I think this could be the place for you. Don't expect it to be perfect, but if you get an attractive price I think this would be worth the money. (The hotel website seemed to have quite a few good deals on offer.) Scarborough is only a 15 minuite drive away, but you feel that you have escaped to a real rural hideaway coming here. I suspect it would be at its best in warmer weather, though!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We recently visited Hagness Grange, came home rather dissapointed. We booked a mid week two night stay but only stayed 1 night! When we arrived we pulled up in the car park and were not dissapointed, a beautiful setting, inside a different story! We soon discovered we were the only guests there No swimming pool as promised by the company we booked with, and boxes in all the corridors full of electrical equipment, renervation work going on!!! Maybe the hotel should close until the work is completed or offer cheaper rates!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ros l
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had a very pleasant weekend staying at this hotel on Saturday night (27th Oct). It is set in beautiful surroundings, ideal for walking, which was the purpose of our weekend with our local walks group. Our room in the main house (overlooking the lake) was clean and spacious. The dinner was delicious and well presented, and there was plenty of choice at breakfast. All the staff we came in contact with were very pleasant and helpful. We would certainly consider a return visit. We wish the new owner success with his planned refurbishment of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank wallman7
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed at Hackness Grange for one night in late September, along with four other members of our family, as part of a golden 50th wedding anniversary weekend. On first impressions as we turned down the sweeping drive, the hotel stands in lovely grounds in the middle of national forest park. We were checked in by a very efficient friendly young lady and then proceeded into the bar area for afternoon tea & coffee which was accompanied with some very delicious biscuits! We took advantage of the nice weather and lovely surroundings to take some family photo's. Our rooms, which were in the courtyard, were a bit dated but in keeping with the houses' style. They were lovely & clean, the bed was very comfortable and the shower was lovely. Would recommend this hotel, and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank HAPPYCAMPERS52
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Now under new ownership, but a little run down by the previous owners. The hotel is in a wonderful setting and if the new owner completes the aims he stated to me, he will do well and will deserve to do so.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are going to be the first to be refurbished.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hackness
Wrea Head Hall
#22 of 26 in Scarborough
Palm Court Hotel
Palm Court Hotel
#11 of 26 in Scarborough

Been to Hackness Grange Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!