“Fantastic Family Holiday”
Review of Breton Bikes

Breton Bikes
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Gouarec
More attraction details
Owner description: Established in 1989 Breton Bikes provides unique cycle camping and hotel based cycling holidays in Brittany - France. Real touring bikes, superb equipment, wonderful places to see and very family friendly. Routes suitable for all ages and abilities. Come and see why Brittany is a Mecca for cycle touring.
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Fantastic Family Holiday”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Myself, husband and 12 year old daughter spent two weeks with Breton Bikes this summer. We did a week on a hotel tour and then a week in their smaller gite in Gouarec.
It was simply one of the best holidays we have ever had. We are an active family so chose to do the On the Beach route which is described as one of the more challenging. I then proceeded to panic about covering the distance (thanks for your patience there, Kate and Geoff) but when it came to it we had no difficulties and were glad we had pushed ourselves. In fact the only problem was trying to keep up with our 12 year old daughter on the hills. By the end of the second week we were covering up to 50 miles a day without any problems. The weather for the beginning of our first week wasn't great but we found cycling in the rain strangely enjoyable and it made the rest stops even more fun. Traffic in the areas we were in was very minimal, even near the coast, and the French drivers were more than considerate. The food along the way and in the towns we stayed in was of excellent quality and good value. Being on B and B basis was ideal as we could eat where and when we wanted.
During the second week, we had a tandem as well as the three touring bikes and it was fun to mix and match.
The support was excellent. Routes were well chosen and scenic. We loved the beach at Le Pouldu. On the one occasion that there was a problem with my bike, Geoff was there within an hour to carry out the repairs. The gite was basic but comfortable and we liked the fact that there was no television. There was a radio tuned to receive coverage of test match cricket which was very thoughtful and much appreciated by my husband.
Overall this was a brilliant experience and one which we will definitely choose to repeat.
Many thanks to Kate, Geoff and family.

2 Thank Murphy939

Nottingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Everything I expected and a bit more!”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

OK: a confession first. We cheated, if there is such a notion on a Breton Bikes holiday. As my partner and I are the type to get "settled" in a place, and yet on the other hand we like our bikes we decided to take two weeks to do a one week itinerary. This gave us the chance to buzz down to the coast, spend a week there visiting as much as we could fit in and then head back with three days spare to lengthen our stay where we pleased.

The equipment was top-notch, the bikes were superb and we only got lost once, and that is because I am an idiot who can't read BB's superb instructions. I kicked myself very, very hard that day.

The route we took was fantastic, taking in great campsites with clean facilities and some great recommendations for lunch. The cycling was more than manageable, in spite of the fact that my partner had broken her shoulder 11 weeks previously in a cycling accident. This manageability was as much down to BB's careful selection of the right equipment as anything. Trust me, these people really do their homework.

As for the location, there's nowhere quite like Brittany for cycling - the cycling distances are bite-sized, the landscape has challenges without being scary and the food has enough calories for even my scarily fast metabolism.

All in all, it was a fantastic experience, one we'd repeat in a heartbeat.

1 Thank sp3ccylad
Hendersonville, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Value”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I did a six day solo circuit in Brittany using the company's bicycle and camping gear. Everything worked perfectly and the owners were informative and helpful. The countryside is beautiful with a rolling hills agricultural and wooded landscape touching the Atlantic. This is an extremely affordable way to get introduced to loaded cycle touring. You can use one of the company's route plans or go "off piste" and design your own. Highly recommended.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank noughte
Renton, Washington, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Playground for Cyclists”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Breton Bikes ... What a great idea! You come to one of the most unique parts of France filled with beautiful roads and Celtic pride. BB books all the hotels, plans the route and provides the bikes. You peddle with two panniers and a map (and a route with instructions) as if you designed the holiday all by yourself!

Loved it! My husband and I are in our late 50's and 60's, regular cyclists with great appetites for fresh and marvelous cuisine. We took the Carnac route. A bit hilly but very doable with the bikes and it didn't take long to get into the rhythm of Brittany. Or the flavors of Brittany.

Geoff and Kate are wonderful.

The only downside is getting to the middle of Brittany. If you have a car you can park it at the campground HQ. The closest train station is St. Brieuc and it takes a few Euros to get to Gourec. Just part of the travel planning process to make connections to work. We ended up with a Friday start date and this did not pose a problem for Geoff (usually start on Saturdays).

Really quite a fun and wonderful trip. Breton Bikes is great!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Melinda C
Gosforth
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great week in Bretagne”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We used BBs for a week's family cycling this August. Cycled in a loop from Gouarec - Rostrenen - Carhaix - back, along a railway cyclepath and the Nantes-Brest canal towpath. Quality of bikes was superb, technical backup top notch and equipment perfect for our needs. We enjoyed cooking on the trangia stove and slept well in the tiny weeny tent - all provided by BBs. Were even given a bike trailer which quickly filled with wine and cheese. One day, on an excursion from the main group, I blew an inner tube but BBs promptly came out to sort it out! Have now bought our own Trangia!!

2 Thank Windpower