“Large Apartment with all the usuals + Free WiFi”

Essence Serviced Apartments
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Chermside
Liverpool, Australia
“Large Apartment with all the usuals + Free WiFi”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Large Apartment with very firm Queen Bed. The best pillows though!!. At $173 + 3% visa surcharge its up there in price. Nothing else around it except for Hospitals. No restaurants etc within walking distance. Rate includes a conti breakfast that is for free, thus is great value. Secure u/g parking too. TV's in each bedroom + lounge room are great. Large shower with great pressure. The inconveniences are that the curtains allow too much sun in at sunrise, and the road noise early on if your room is facing the road. Great if you need to stay in the area and you must have a car here - I think. Also they charge your credit card the day or more before you arrive - thus no late cancellations

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Rode Rd.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Brad290
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you Brad for taking the time to review our hotel, constructive criticism is always welcome. We are pleased you enjoyed our breakfast and services, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Christine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Gladstone, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I arrived on the Friday, checked in, went to the apartment. I had arranged for my mum and dad to stay with me while I was having surgery at the nearby hospital. There was no bed for my dad. I had rung to arrange his bed and the lady said he could stay for no extra cost as the room had a sofa bed.

When I mentioned this they asked who I had spoke to. I couldn't remember. They suggested for me to check my emails for details on this. The lady never sent me an email, did she. What happened to the customer is always right. Not at these appartments. I couldn't deal with these people they were so rude! I went onto my room.

When I came back from my operation I stopped in at reception to see what they had worked out. Apparently no one could remember me calling, no notes on the computer. I would have to pay extra. I became extremely upset, my dad cautioned me to my room while he took care of it. There was no way in hell these nasty people were excepting they were wrong.

I wouldn't stay there again if you paid me!!

Room Tip: Make sure you have documentation on the particulars of your room. Or else they won't believe yo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank lyndyward
Thank you for your review, constructive criticism is always welcome. We apologies for the inconvenience regarding the sofa bed. Your original booking was for a queen bed (max 2 adults) in our very comfortable accessible rooms and I believe our staff managed to find a 1 bedroom apartment to cater for your mum, dad and yourself to stay in upon check in.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.
Airlie Beach, Australia
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We visited Brisbane for a concert - a one night stop. We had booked through Wotif on line and were checked in efficiently - but soon found that we had been allocated a single bedroom - whereas we had booked a 2 bedroom apartment. The property was fully booked but somehow rooms were juggled and we went to our room, as booked.
The property is in excellent condition, clean and quiet and has a free light breakfast.
It is adjacent to Holy Spirit hospital but food and liquor stores are a short 500 metre walk

• Stayed August 2013
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thank you for your review and our apologies for the immediate inconvenience, I am pleased that we were able to provide a quick resolution to your allocated apartment.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Palm Cove, Australia
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I guess the prime purpose & stays at Essence Apts would be either visiting or accompanying someone in the adjacent hospitals -Prince Charles & Holy Spirit. If thats the case then these apts are ideal.
Modern, clean and right next to the hospitals. We chose a 1Bed room apt with balcony and it was perfect for what we wanted.
Reception & daily Housekeeping were very good & a simple complmentary breakfast is provided. Chermside major shopping complex is nearby as well as some good Chinese & Thai restaurants. However for good old Queensland hospitality you must vist the Chermside Bowls Club only a couple of hundred metres up the road. Great food, bar & hospitality.
In summary if these hospitals are on your list for visit or support then Essence Apts are an excellent choice.

Room Tip: Hospitals are just metres from a secure access door.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Thank you for your comments and recommendations, the Essence Serviced Apartments were certainly built to assist with country people having to travel for medical reasons. We are pleased that you found our service and apartments well appointed. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for pleasure next time.
Hervey Bay, Australia
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised when we walked through the door of our 2 bedroom apartment. Each room had a bathroom and the living area is quite large. The verandah is huge by hotel standards and very safe for children as there is nothing for them to climb. Both bedroom had a TV as well as a a larger TV in the living area. Cooking appliances were modern and efficient - cooktop, oven, microwave, single drawer dishwasher and very efficient fridge/freezer. There were 4 frozen meals in the freezer that you could heat up for under $10 each on your room tab, as well as the normal drinks etc. Great idea! On the same turf as Prince Charles / Holy Spirit North Side hospitals - so would be ideal if you have family in hospital there. We were attending a party in Everton Park which turned out to be 5 min drive away. 5 minutes drive to Westfield Shopping Centre in Chermside. Very happy with our stay

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your valuable feedback about our hotel, it is always pleasing to know that our guests enjoy our beautifully appointed apartments and facilities. We hope you enjoyed the party that you attended as well and look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Essence is the company-provided accommodation for our flight crew. We got the "long" four days/three nights layover this time and I was given a one-bedroom suite.

I like to "move in" when my layover is more than an overnighter and I did just that. There's plenty of space in the closet in the bedroom and in the cupboards in the kitchen. The suite is well-equipped with all the things needed for an extended stay.

It takes less than 10 minutes to walk to Gympie Road, where you can find an Aldi grocery store and many restaurants. Cooking is a serious hobby for me and Aldi is not very complete. The Westfield Shopping Centre is much more comprehensive and is only a 10 minute ride on the 334 bus that stops in front of the apartments.

The staff was very friendly and did not hesitate to go out of their way to accommodate several requests.

Rode Rd. is pretty busy during business hours and you need to pay lots of attention when crossing. My suite was on the fourth floor facing Rode Rd. and it was very quiet as long as the sliding door to the balcony was closed. The place is pretty dead at night except for the occasional ambulance from the adjacent hospital. If you are a night person without a car, you will find it slightly inconvenient. But the airline put us there to rest between flights and night life was not one of the considerations. =8-)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, it is greatly appreciated and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Essence Serviced Apartments. We look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 10, 2013

As soon as we checked in problems arose. I had emailed this place 2 months prior to checking in and primarily as I wanted to know if there was a gym for us. The emails boasted that they had the best as it was adjacent to a fully equipped gym that we can use. Once checked in we were told that we can only be given 1 pass, once per day and I would need to go alone to a 'boxing gym' across the busy road. That was not what we were told in writing and I whipped out my phone to show the receptionist who agreed. She proceeded to tell the manager who was hidden behind a wall and I could hear her telling the receptionist that she didn't care and 1 pass was all that we could get.
We went upstairs upset and then I thought ...'hang on I am paying extra for this place due to the gym and gym only' so we went down to talk to the reception again.
Again she said there was nothing she can do due to the manager. I didn't budge. Finally the manager called her to tell her to make us sit like 2 school children and wait for her. She was very patronising and took my personal phone and went through every email like a police officer!
My privacy was invaded, I was physically shaking but am quite shy and reserved and just sat there thinking 'what the hell is going on!'
She saw that we were correct re. the emails we received but stated it was one particular staffs mistake and if we had gone through the website we would know get 'multiple' passes especially since we were given a 'discounted rate'.
I told her we found them through Facebook in which she guffawed and asked how it would be found via Facebook as she didn't believe me! Very ironic as in the lifts it has 'find us on Facebook' and yet the own manager had no idea how it worked!
Sat down for 10 minutes whilst she stood over me and flicked through all my emails, not only the one which stated about the gym...still very upset at that. After the debacle she stated' out of goodwill' we can sign for 2 as she has to pay $26 for it each time. Shaking I went back up to my room and instantly felt claustrophobic. A bed in a kitchen. The fridge was noisy and you couldn't switch the kettle on without a fan. The tv was near the front door and hard to see from the bed. All I could see was prices and amounts for if a fire alarm was set off, if you lose your keys, if you oversleep on check out.
Wow...very money minded! Especially the we GIVE YOU FREE BREAKFAST everywhere like we should feel so honoured! Disgraceful and quite embarrassing considering the buffet breakfast consists of sugar cereal from aldis, bread and apples. You can buy that for $2 and skip the hassle of getting up early and being watched by a staff member whilst you eat.
Good luck in the reserved parking as well which seems to be hired out to businesses 7am to 5.
I know this sounds like rant but the treatment affected our whole stay in Brisbane. It is not on for management to treat guests like this. She went on about her experience in hospitality. My partner works in the industry and knows what should not be done. I am dreading the reply via this site where they will tell me how the breakfast was their gift and make it sound like I was in the wrong. There is no excuse on how I was treated. I did not do anything wrong but go by what was written to me via email and state facts. Not happy. I am glad that we went to the aspley carsel for the remainder of our stay and we saw that not all of the accom in the area is terrible.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank sunseekers247
Christine S, Director of Sales at Essence Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Staff and management sincerely believe that a difference of opinion is in play with these comments and we will duly follow up within our normal policies and produces, not in a public forum to minimize any further distress for this guest.

It is always our policy to provide a clear and transparent product information including our value adds such as Gym, Car parking, Wifi and Breakfast at our hotel which have been enjoyed by thousands of guests since we have opened in 2011.

We do however wish to advise that it is clearly stated on our website that we provide one complimentary gym pass per room per night, our Studio Apartments are an open plan as per the floor plan and images contained on the utube and image gallery.

At no time would any of our management or staff intend to invade anyone’s privacy and fail to understand how it could be interpreted as such, when the guest of her volition handed her personal phone to our manager so that she could read the correspondence the guest was referring too!.

Christine
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chermside
Brisbane International - Virginia
#77 of 157 in Brisbane
Chermside Motor Inn
Chermside Motor Inn
#1 of 2 in Chermside

Been to Essence Serviced Apartments? Share your experiences!